http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 12:53:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Martial Artist List] Declare your style and rank  (Read 5345 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2005, 03:56:26 PM »

Since I know we have a lot of serious martial artists in our group, declare your style and rank in here. If you know weapons, drop them in here too. Non-serious posts (No Ultimate Power! website) will be edited and/or deleted at my discretion.  

The point?  We periodically get people asking about martial arts and it'd be nice to have a good repository of people in various stages to be able to ask those types of questions.  

I'll begin:

Styles -
Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan: 3rd Dan
World Tang Soo Do: Pre Dan (Dan test postponed due to college)
Kendo: Intermediate (no ranking system)
American Tae Kwon Do (I'm not proud): Pre Dan
Tae Guek Tae Kwon Do: 1st Dan
Kempo / Jiu Jitsu (hybrid school): Brown

Weapons -
Katana - Intermediate
Korean Short Sword - Beginner
Bo - Beginner
Nunchaku - Advanced
Short/Long Knife - Advanced
Escrima - Intermediate
Shuriken - Intermediate

(Ever get the feeling somebody wanted to be a merc. when they grew up?)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 04:02:16 PM »

I take it American Tae Kwan Do is more along the lines of "Hollywood Kung-Foolery" than an actual discipline? smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 04:38:09 PM »

Kung Fu - Blue

This is after 3 years of training and I was close to my brown belt before having to quit due to moving away from the area.  I waited to test for each belt when I felt I was ready and not when the instructor thought I was ready smile

Bo - beginner (mostly just learned kata's that used them)

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 04:56:53 PM »

Well, I'll tell you a story that should explain why I'm not so proud, and also why I left when I did.

During my test, another pre-dan candidate failed to break his ONE BOARD with a flying side kick.  As sad as that is, one of the instructors got up and started helping him DURING THE TEST.  He also failed the written part and blew several forms.  One week later (with his bill paid in full for another year) he was awarded first Dan.  I left in disgust and protest casting my belt to the floor at the feet of their "Grandmaster".

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Matrix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 05:35:26 PM »

We dont have ranking in Systema. so i just will rate skills

Hand to hand - Advanced
Knife long/short - advanced

Been doing it for about 4 years
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 05:49:35 PM »

Black sash in Wing Chun Kung Fu. Trained with a quarter staff, which is the first weapon a student uses in order to learn the basic movements and handlilng of a weapon, allowing you to branch off with later weapons. Haven't been able to find a similar studio since I moved across the country ... and I still miss it. Tried Karate, earned my Green, but didn't like the style nearly as much as Kung Fu, so I took off.

Finding a Wing Chun studio relatively nearby - with a teacher I think I can learn from - is one of my missions in life once I finish uni.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 05:54:23 PM »

Interesting topic biggrin

Styles

Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan: Brown (was about to test for red when my family moved to another state and I never found another school frown)

ITF Tae Kwon Do: Blue (yet another sob story. Was all set for my red belt testing, my instructor forgot to put my application in, and didn't get to test before I went to Japan frown Doh!)

Kendo: Low Intermediate

Eishin Ryuu Iaido: 1st Dan

American Karate: No rank (they kind of grandfathered me in at 1st dan so I could teach, but I didn't stay long enough to get 2nd Dan and make it official. Moderately ashamed, but it was actually a decent school).

Capoeira: Beginner.

Weapons

Katana: Advanced
Bo: Intermediate
Nunchaku: Intermediate once upon a time, not so sure now biggrin
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 06:17:44 PM »

WTF Tae Kwon Do - Pre Dan (Red with Black Stripe)

I'm currently searching for a new school as my old one sort of fell apart a year ago and has shifted focus.  All the people my age I enjoyed training with have left for other places.  I also got up to this rank when I studied from 92-95 but got distracted.  I took it back up in the Spring of 2001.  Now I really want to make sure I get back in to it.  I just like it for the mental discipline, focus and intense cardio workout.  I'm not so much a fighter these days as I've seen many a person carted out on a stretcher and I've got to protect my delicate features. smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 10:50:45 PM »

Wado Ryu - Green

Someday I'll get back to it...
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 10:53:17 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Well, I'll tell you a story that should explain why I'm not so proud, and also why I left when I did.

During my test, another pre-dan candidate failed to break his ONE BOARD with a flying side kick.  As sad as that is, one of the instructors got up and started helping him DURING THE TEST.  He also failed the written part and blew several forms.  One week later (with his bill paid in full for another year) he was awarded first Dan.  I left in disgust and protest casting my belt to the floor at the feet of their "Grandmaster".

THat pretty much jibes with what one of my instructors had to say about American TKD...
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 11:20:56 PM »

Your topic title is a little misleading.  It should read "Asian based martial arts..."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 01:07:33 AM »

You know Krav Maga or something?  Drop it in here.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Loto Joenotoe
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 03:51:01 AM »

I know this is a little off topic but im thinking bout getting into martial arts.
 there is a place close to my house im thinking bout taking a look into. they teach Kenjutsu and Aikijutsu. is there anything i should ask or look into or any other art you could recommend. any help would be great thx guys.
Drazzil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 03:57:52 AM »

Tai Kwon Do

Still a white belt, only because the master (a guy named Larry Ammons) is totally serious about every person who gets a stripe really know their stuff.

You gotta be able to do 50 pushups on bricks, on your knuckles, and 50 pull ups and 20 hand stand push ups.

I have everything down cept for the 20 handstands. I hope to have that soon.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 04:39:07 AM »

Anyone here from New York? Any dojos/studios they'd recommend? I've been looking into martial arts on and off the past two years (I'm lazy, and it's hard to go searching during I'm at school and all). But if I get a good recommendation, I might actually get serious.

(Oh man I'm so tempted to make a joke post, but I won't ;P)
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 06:27:49 AM »

Quote from: "Loto Joenotoe"
I know this is a little off topic but im thinking bout getting into martial arts.
 there is a place close to my house im thinking bout taking a look into. they teach Kenjutsu and Aikijutsu. is there anything i should ask or look into or any other art you could recommend. any help would be great thx guys.

Im not familiar with either of those styles, but in general go over to the school and speak with an Instructor, the school doesnt need to be fancy but it should look well maintained. Ask to observe a class, alot of instructors will recommend you participate in a free class but personally I always make it a point to simply observe a class first.  Its hard to see whats going on when your in the middle of things participating in class. Class size should be balanced with the size of the school, basically if there are a ton of students shoulder to shoulder it tends to hamper learning. Ask about the ranking system, i.e. how many belts between white belt and black belt. Typically there should be about 10 to 12 "grades" or belts between white and black and it should take between 2 and 4 years to achieve black belt depending on how many days a week and hours per session you train. I perfer schools that train at least 5 times per week at a bare minimum you should look for a school with 3 days a week with an hour to hour and half sessions. If the instructor insists you sign an contract longer then 3 months walk out. Ideally you want a school that will let you take the first month with no contract, normally they charge and extra 20 bucks like this but its better then dropping several hundred to over a thousand to find after 3 weeks you dont really like it.

Anyone here from New York? Any dojos/studios they'd recommend? I've been looking into martial arts on and off the past two years (I'm lazy, and it's hard to go searching during I'm at school and all). But if I get a good recommendation, I might actually get serious.

If by N.Y. you mean NYC I cant say enough good things about T Kang Tae Kwon Do, drop me an email and I will get you an address and phone number if your interested. I also know of a very good very traditional Aikido school out in Valley Stream Long Island, Id have to dig up the info on that one though as its been awhile. If you want to check out Kung Fu there is the "USA SHAOLIN TEMPLE" in Manhattan where you can train under Sifu Shi Yan Ming, this is another awesome school.
Leatherneck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 08:02:06 AM »

I've been in the Marine Corps for 10+ years now and a qualified instuctor of the Marine's Martial Arts Training Program.  Its nothing special, but here is basically what it boils down to.

Pro's:

Efficient and practical (when you  finally earn black belt status)
The physical training and conditioning is top-notch
No-holds barred sparring and you find out what moves actually work
well...........its better than nothing  :lol:

Cons:

Its pretty basic, to the point.  Doesn't offer advanced techniques and limited striking.
Caters to the lowest denominator.  (what I mean by this is that even the most intellectually handicaped marine can learn this)
You really don't learn the good (the moves that actually work) until far into the program.

Thats pretty much it, if anyone has questions about this just email me.

Semper Fidelis
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 11:31:40 AM »

What belt is after orange in judo? Blue, right? I have that one. That's at least 12 years ago though biggrin

[Edit: nope, Green it is, apparently. Suffice to say, I suck smile

HELLO!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 11:47:19 AM »

(a guy named Larry Ammons)

HOLY SMOKES!  You must live in the LA area!  Master Ammons was my first instructor!  Talk about a small world....yea, Master Ammons was very serious about you knowing your stuff before you proceed.

Does he still have the big jump wall with the ninja stars, the arm dip blocks, and the knuckle-push-up blocks?  Man....that place brings back memories.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 02:28:28 PM »

Quote from: "mori"
Your topic title is a little misleading.  It should read "Asian based martial arts..."

Also last I checked, Brazil wasn't a part of Asia slywink
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 05:02:02 PM »

Quote from: "Loto Joenotoe"
There is a place close to my house im thinking bout taking a look into. they teach Kenjutsu and Aikijutsu. is there anything i should ask or look into or any other art you could recommend. any help would be great thx guys.

Be aware that any school claiming to teach "kenjutsu" is, in fact, claiming to teach a Japanese koryu (or "old style" martial art).  Koryu are the classical Japanese battlefield arts and are extremely rare, even in Japan.  There are probably fewer than half a dozen koryu instructors in the U.S. who are licensed to teach by their originating ryu.  Koryu schools do not advertise and no U.S. koryu instructor is teaching for profit.  

What this means is that any school teaching "kenjutsu" is likely doing so outside of the official ryu structure, without permission.  Whatever you are learning may be very close to the actual technique of a kenjutsu ryu, or it may be a hodge-podge of invented kata that someone is using to take advantage of the poor knowledge most Westerners have of classical Japanese arts.  

It's up to you whether you want to pursue with someone who is not licensed to teach what they're teaching.  Some view it as an unimportant technicality, some view it as crucial.  I briefly studied with a visiting Japanese instructor who taught what he claimed to be Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu kenjutsu and iaijutsu.  Since then I've met with and watched licensed instructors of that art, and while what I learned is very similar I have no doubt that the man I learned from was not licensed to be teaching what he did.  

If you want to determine the veracity of this school's kenjutsu (I can't speak as much toward the aikijutsu, but it would be similar), ask the instructor the following questions:  what style or ryu of kenjutsu does he teach?  Who is his instructor, and what are his credentials?  Is he licensed to teach the art by his instructor?  Any legitimate koryu instructor will have all of that information and will not hesitate to share it.

For more information visit www.koryu.com.

Chances are what is actually taught there is a form of kendo, that they're just calling "kenjutsu".  Maybe they practice with bokken instead of shinai or something and think that makes all the difference.

XBox Live:  JNacht
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 11:32:45 PM »

You know Krav Maga or something?  Drop it in here.

Actually I have a little experience in Pankration but don't consider myself a practitioner.  Also Greco-Roman and freestyle wrestling smile .

I didn't see Jiu Jitsu when I made my first post so you got me on that :wink: .
Morrigan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2005, 05:51:23 PM »

I take Kempo Karate (Parker), I'm going up for my Blue 1 this weekend.  Which will put me 9 belts away from my Black belt, which makes me excited and nervous at the same time.   Nervous because Black belt means Black belt demo.  

I know Kubaton pretty well (not much to it hehe), and I've started learning Escrima.  And though I've oly had one class so far, I plan to learn more Katana.

smile

Morrigan - Orc Warrior - Lothar
LOA WoW Chapter Leader
Amber S
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2005, 09:57:13 PM »

I completely forgot about the Kubaton!  I trained military police in that weapon when I was in the Air Force.  Excellent weapon...funny they don't screen for it in airports. slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2005, 10:29:10 AM »

i've done some kickboxing and 'american' boxing (for about a year and a half).   after quitting that, and a tentative foray into Wing Chun kung fu, i decided that i no longer have the desire to hit things/people (spending half of class holding pads so someone else can smack you...hard... isn't really fun for me).   however, i'm still interested in getting better mental discipline and focus.  physical exercise would definitely be a bonus, as well as perhaps some gained abilities (self-defense, maybe, or super special ninja moves or whatever)....  what other options are there for me besides Tai Chi?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2005, 01:32:33 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
(Oh man I'm so tempted to make a joke post, but I won't ;P)

biggrin

Tiger Claw Kung Fu - Red belt, black tassle. It was more like dance class than anything combat. Was cool to try out Sai's and Bos; I got pretty good at Tonfa.
Fuk Ewe - Scottish martial arts. Lotta hip action.

In all seriousness, I did take Kung Fu. The problem I had with it was advancement was based more on getting the forms right than fighting ability. It was good and I'd recommend it for beginners, but it's not the same thing. I also took a few lessons in Tae Kwon Do (mixed fighting styles included) but didn't stick with it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2005, 04:31:08 PM »

Quote from: "hitbyambulance"
however, i'm still interested in getting better mental discipline and focus.  physical exercise would definitely be a bonus, as well as perhaps some gained abilities (self-defense, maybe, or super special ninja moves or whatever)....  what other options are there for me besides Tai Chi?

I would look into some of the Japanese arts, particularly iaido or aikido.  The Japanese arts tend to be more focused on mental development than Chinese or Indonesian arts (at least when it comes to what's typically available in the U.S.).  Iaido is practiced solo, and mental focus and acuity is one of its primary goals.  Aikido also puts a heavy emphasis on mental development, particularly in groups like Ki Society (shin shin toitsu aikido).  Aikido is more widely available, and the physical activity can be as gentle or intense as you like.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2005, 06:33:46 PM »

Ambulance, I'm surprised that Wing Chun turned you off. When I took it, we did very little pad work, while we sparred every class. Everyone had their own pads. Plus, meditation was a focal point (no pun intended) of the beginning of the class. As I continued further along in the system, I'd say things became even more mental and practical - forms were important, sure, but skills like "sticky hands" quickly became the prime exercises.

I loved my experience taking Wing Chun, so I'm wondering if maybe you didn't have a great class or teacher.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2005, 03:30:18 PM »

*sniffle*  I miss this thread and I miss training.

8 more months till graduation....just 8 more months...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2005, 03:58:29 PM »

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party. I haven't been checking this site in a while.

atarashii naginata - 2 dan
shindo muso ryu jodo - unranked.

weapons: beginner.

I would echo Boudreaux's notes about making sure you're getting legitamate kenjutsu instruction. Its one thing if the instructor says "yeah, its something I made up from a bunch of martial arts I took". At least he's honest.

Its totally another if he says its a 300 year old style taught to the samurai and handed down through teachers to him. Then you should definitely call him on it. I would ask him for his teacher's name and his teacher's teacher's name. Most frauds don't make up something beyond their teacher's name while all legitamate instructors should be able to rattle off at least 3 levels of lineage from them to their teacher's teacher's teacher.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2005, 04:03:08 PM »

True that Raydude.  Ever seen this site? : http://www.bullshido.net/

Funny stuff.

My wife wants to learn the Naginata.  Hard weapon to wield from what I'm told...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2005, 04:14:26 PM »

Funny stuff.

My wife wants to learn the Naginata.  Hard weapon to wield from what I'm told...

Yeah, that site is good for laughs. As for the naginata, it really is all about the basics. Basics form the foundation for everything else, from the striking to putting on the armor and sparring. That said, she probably will have an easier time learning and practicing because all the power is derived from hip movements.

One naginata "A-HA" moment is when a senior student was telling me to focus on my footwork and let the hips provide the power. Up until then I was all tense and using mostly armwork to power the strike. Which meant I'd get tired after continuously swinging the thing for like 15 minutes. After I focused on the footwork and hips I felt like I could swing it all day and never get tired. Which was a big bonus for when I put on the armor and sparred - cause then I was able to keep up my attacks and blocks longer.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2005, 04:17:29 PM »

In TSD we focus heavily on hip-power so I think it'd be an easy transition for her.  She's been harping on me forever to find a good instructor for the weapon...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2005, 09:25:58 PM »

If you're looking for atarashii naginata, as in, part of the US Naginata Federation, there's an instructor in Scottsdale, AZ. Head to "naginata.org" and click on "USNF" then "SCNF".  Its in the list of dojos on the SCNF webpage.

If you're looking for koryu, or old school naginata then Tendo Ryu naginata is your best bet. But that's in Northern California. See the same naginata.org webpage for Tendo Ryu. I don't know if Tanaka Sensei lets you learn the koryu without taking up atarashii naginata as well, though.

unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2005, 05:47:19 AM »

Aikijutsu and Kenjutsu.  I forgot the rank, it was a long time ago; it wasnt Godan (black belt), however.  Which was unfortunate, because then I would have been able to wear the hakama.

A few years back, there was a school which taught capoeira near my gym; I was really tempted to take it, but unfortunately they had to close once my gym started teaching Taekwondo.  Sadly, kids classes tend to be the lifeblood of many newer schools around here; and having the classes in the gym was too hard to compete against.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2005, 06:53:10 AM »

First of all - Loto Joenotoe - welcome aboard, you will love this site, it's the best! Tongue

Let's see... we called ours Chinese Kenpo (with an "n" - not kempo).  My belt rank was odd - I hated kata, but loved sparring and kept going to tournaments and beating people above my belt level, so my - what was it, Sensei? - made me start wearing a higher belt when I sparred.

I think the progression was white, orange, purple, blue, green, brown, black - maybe.  I believe I earned a blue overall, "officially", but they wouldn't let me go to a tournament with that, and I had to wear a brown.  I had a truly wicked sidekick... and my main claim to fame besides some trophies was that I once fought in Madison Square Garden.  Man, I thought I was Ali there for a while.

Unfortunately, that was about 30 years ago, and pre-muscle disorder.  But, oh, the memories!  :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2005, 01:39:49 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Aikijutsu and Kenjutsu.  I forgot the rank, it was a long time ago; it wasnt Godan (black belt), however.  Which was unfortunate, because then I would have been able to wear the hakama.

Hi there. Do you remember what specific kenjutsu it was? Or was it Aiki-ken, the sword portion of the Aikido curriculum?  And just a little correction - Godan is 5th degree black belt. Go = 5. Shodan equates to black belt.

youshou
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2005, 10:19:44 PM »

There was a time when I was far more physically involved in the martial arts. These days, my pursuits are much more academic. I had been ranked in a few forms in the past, but I think it's safe to say that today I'd be back at beginner's level for them all.

I started with Jubushikido, a home-brewed style that incorporated the form and function from several styles including TKD and Kempo and it focused around Christian tenants rather than Eastern philosophy. It was enough to pique my interest to study these other styles over the next several years:
Shotokan
Jujutsu
Isshin-ryu
Wing chun
Hsing-I
Aikido

If I am able to, I'd like to go back to studying aikido or wing chun.

Academically, I've written a couple of term papers based around martial arts; the shihan for Jubushikido encouraged academic as much as martial pursuits, and part of our belt tests included a research paper on martial arts, its history, and application. I'm also producing a series of gaming books right now that has some martial arts information packed into it. I know a bit about martial arts, but if I were asked to perform a kata, I'm more likely to throw my back out first. smile
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2005, 11:45:45 PM »

Yellow belt in Judo. Took a class in the university with a great sensei. I hope I can continue some day.

Also some knowledge of Aikido - took it with the same sensei.

My smile still stays on.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2005, 07:44:26 AM »

Quote from: "raydude"
Funny stuff.

Yeah, that site is good for laughs. As for the naginata, it really is all about the basics. Basics form the foundation for everything else, from the striking to putting on the armor and sparring. That said, she probably will have an easier time learning and practicing because all the power is derived from hip movements.

One naginata "A-HA" moment is when a senior student was telling me to focus on my footwork and let the hips provide the power. Up until then I was all tense and using mostly armwork to power the strike. Which meant I'd get tired after continuously swinging the thing for like 15 minutes. After I focused on the footwork and hips I felt like I could swing it all day and never get tired. Which was a big bonus for when I put on the armor and sparred - cause then I was able to keep up my attacks and blocks longer.

I thought only girls train in naginata, real men do kendo.smile
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: