http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 04:33:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Malazan books] Crimson Guard - spoiler alert  (Read 666 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2009, 03:30:51 PM »

So, I just finished re-reading Return of the Crimson guard , and loved it. Its pretty damn good, although, I dont like what happens to Laseen at all...she's such a major characher that its a bit sad, or rather, VERY sad to see her go. Seems like pretty much all the players from the first books are gone now, even the High Mage, although he could of course come back.

One thing though - the Lost brothers who are from Assail - Have we been told anything about that land, other than I seem to remember that a lot of Imass are stuck there, fighting, and losing, and the Crimson Guard has been there as well, havent they?

I really REALLY cant remember all the stuff Ericson and now Esslemont puts into the books, but I'm rather curious about what happens on Assail.

Also, does anyone else really like Esselmont as well? I loved Crimson Guard, but his first one, Night of Knives seemed a bit..rough in its writing

A new one
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:48:01 PM »

Good timing as I just finished this book a couple of days ago.

For starters, it is FAR better quality than his first work, Night of Knives. In fact, it was very reminiscent of Erikson himself - I think there might be a level of collaboration that isn't being publicly acknowledged at present.

That said, it was sad to see Laseen end like that. She was an interesting character, and we got to see more sides of her in this novel than previously. Finally seeing Traveller and Skinner face off was nice. No clue on the Assail angle - I have to admit there is so much stuff going on that it is hard to keep track of it all. I wonder sometimes how they manage to do it, even though they are the authors biggrin

In all, I was disappointed a bit with Night of Knives, so I'm very happy with Crimson Guard as a whole. Looking forward to the next installment!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »

Yeah, its VERY like Eriksons own books - but then again, they have collaborated on creating the world.

Agreed on Night of Knives, although some of the info there was pretty interesting - I like Temper...btw, is that the same game who they call Temp in Crimson Guard?

THe next Erikson book is coming pretty soon, come august as far as I remember - Day one purchase for me!

And yes, there's sooo much going on, I cant keep it all straight either...its actually worse than Lost ;-) Thats why I asked about Assail, I just remembered they had mentioned it before... oh, and those Mare people, I dont know anything about those either...and isnt it time we learn about Koreil as well?? Gods, so many places!!

A new one
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:57:55 PM »

I would never count out the High Mage. Even if he left a smouldering corpse, which he didn't.  icon_wink

I too was quite taken aback by Laseen's fate. In fact, I pretty much did a Darth Vader "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" at that part. There have been a lot of big name fatalities in the latest books.

Only a couple weeks until Dust of Dreams.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:07:24 AM »

I wonder who we will hear about now, in Dust of Dreams? Toblakai's return to his people?  eek

A new one
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 01:31:22 PM »

Night of knives was pretty good so I can't wait to read this one. Erikson is without a doubt my favorite author. I have read his novels over and over again more than just about any other writer.

As a writer, I don't know how that guy can crank out 400K+ word books every year. Amazing.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on August 03, 2009, 01:31:22 PM

Night of knives was pretty good so I can't wait to read this one. Erikson is without a doubt my favorite author. I have read his novels over and over again more than just about any other writer.

As a writer, I don't know how that guy can crank out 400K+ word books every year. Amazing.

You do know that Night of Knives and Return of the Guard aren't written by Erikson, right?  They're written by his buddy, Ian Isslemont.

In any case, I liked both books quite a lot.  Night of Knives was definitely written in a different way, but upon my second read of it, I found I appreciated that different voice.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was also shocked to read about Laseen.  Seriously, that's a gigantic game-changer...and more impressively, Erikson isn't the one who wrote it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »

So true Eightball, I was thinking about thAt as well - a LOT of major stuff happened in Crimson guard, considering it wasnt erikson himself. Then again, it seems that they are pretty much co-authors on the world, so he probably can decide just as much as Erikson.

A new one
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »

It isnt that he can do it that amazes me. It is the quality of his writing with that volume that amazes me. He is a craftsman with words. And sometimes I feel like it'd take me a year just to plot out all the intertwining events in some of those books, let alone put them into beautiful language.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 02:32:18 PM »

Oh, and the great thing about that, is the he's actually plotted out the, eh..plot! I mean, things that happens for no appearnet reasons in books 1,2 and 3 suddenly makes sense in books 7 and 8 for instance - how cool is that?! It seems to me that he knows EXACTLY what he's doing.

For instance, Corab - the first time we hear about him, he survives a frigging sharper blast by jumping on top of it, with a helmet over the grenade? I thought WTF - and now, a few books later, we know the WHY!

A new one
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 01:14:18 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 03, 2009, 02:04:18 PM

You do know that Night of Knives and Return of the Guard aren't written by Erikson, right?  They're written by his buddy, Ian Isslemont.

In any case, I liked both books quite a lot.  Night of Knives was definitely written in a different way, but upon my second read of it, I found I appreciated that different voice.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was also shocked to read about Laseen.  Seriously, that's a gigantic game-changer...and more impressively, Erikson isn't the one who wrote it.

Hehe, yes. I have actually met Steven a couple of times. I have not, however, met Ian.

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: