http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 12:13:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Lost] Does it make sense?  (Read 1965 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2009, 07:42:21 PM »

So, the GF and I started watching Lost now, and is a bit more than halfway through the first season...

I'm a bit baffled about this, since it seems clear to me already, that we are NEVER going to get any explanations if I'm right... Also, there are some outright wierd things happening that seems to be there JUST because its cool to wierd.

So, I guess my question is, will the series make sense? Or is it just character development and not plot that drives the show?

Oh, and I HAVE to know about the polar bears...are they there because the kid wanted them to be there?

A new one
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 08:18:38 PM »

Warning... season 2 gets even more inscrutable.  My wife and I stopped watching after that.  Supposedly it gets better halfway through season 3.
dobberhd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:24:41 PM »

It does make more sense, but then the stuff that makes it makes sense needs to be made sense of.  The polar bear is explained later on, however.

Definitely stick it out.  After the first couple of seasons, it really takes off.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:27:52 PM »

They have started to explain things and will have to explain a lot more in the upcoming season. You do find out why there are polar bears there (I think that was season 2) but the things that they hinted at about Walt have not really been touched on. They may have abandoned it entirely or they may eventually come back to it, but I have a feeling they will not.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 08:34:57 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 23, 2009, 08:27:52 PM

the things that they hinted at about Walt have not really been touched on. They may have abandoned it entirely or they may eventually come back to it, but I have a feeling they will not.

This always confused me. They made Walt out to be so much more important in the first season and then his whole story arc was completely dropped.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:47:01 PM »

Yes, Lost starts to make SOME sense already by season 3, though it happens in small chunks and requires you to think. The mysteries are almost never explained through exposition, instead requiring you to connect the dots yourself. Don't obsess about the big mysteries (what is the Island? What's the Monster?) because those are saved for the last season, but the smaller mysteries will be solved and new ones will be introduced.

If, after watching all the 5 seasons, you find yourself frustrated at something that doesn't make sense, ask us! Some of us have pretty solid knowledge of the things that aren't always obvious in this show. smile
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 23, 2009, 08:34:57 PM

Quote from: Teggy on July 23, 2009, 08:27:52 PM

the things that they hinted at about Walt have not really been touched on. They may have abandoned it entirely or they may eventually come back to it, but I have a feeling they will not.

This always confused me. They made Walt out to be so much more important in the first season and then his whole story arc was completely dropped.

"Why is that kid three feet taller if they've only been on the island for two months?"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 11:08:23 PM »

i love Lost.....can't believe we have to wait until February for the new season,saying that though i can't believe it will be the last season altogether

the first season was fantastic,it just had at the time,everyone talking about it..there were phone numbers in the commercial breaks for the company,that if you rang up all it would say was a website(i used works phone)....you go to the website and it was a normal looking website,but it had secret extra features,that gave you clues to what was going on

going into work the next day and talking to a friend about what we found,only a handful of shows can produce that kinda buzz

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 11:43:13 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 23, 2009, 07:42:21 PM

So, the GF and I started watching Lost now, and is a bit more than halfway through the first season...

I'm a bit baffled about this, since it seems clear to me already, that we are NEVER going to get any explanations if I'm right... Also, there are some outright wierd things happening that seems to be there JUST because its cool to wierd.

So, I guess my question is, will the series make sense? Or is it just character development and not plot that drives the show?

Oh, and I HAVE to know about the polar bears...are they there because the kid wanted them to be there?

Lost is probably my all time favorite TV show, and that's saying a lot as I've watched a TON of TV.  I've now watched every season at least twice, closing in on my third time.  Each time I discover more nuances to the show and it's a pleasure to see the gorgeous production values particularly on Blu-Ray if you get a chance. 

That said, if you are a plot junkie who needs answers, you may find the show unsatisfying.  The writers typically dole out "answers" in small bits at a time, and generally every answer they give you is serviced with 10 new questions.   Does the series make sense?  Yes and no and maybe.  The show delves into mystic and scientific strangeness as well as time travel, so saying it "makes sense" is all relative.  Without seeing the final season, it's hard to say if the show will be self-consistent (though it tries to be for the most part).

Season 1 is for the most part about character development and kind of Survivor-esque.  Season 2 starts to change the show's dynamic and by 5 it has really reached more of a full blown sci-fi type of atmosphere.  If you like the core characters, though, I encourage you to stay around for the whole "ride" - and pray like I am there is a great payoff come next January.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The polar bears are there for a much more generic reason than the boy willing them there, which you don't learn until season 3 (I think).  However it's never explicitly said that the boy didn't influence their appearance on the island.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:45:30 PM »

it'll all make sense in the end when Jack wakes up and finds Patrick Duffy in the shower instead of Kate.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 01:16:13 AM »

You lost me when you asked if Lost would ever make sense. retard
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 03:56:08 AM »

We stopped watching at the end of season 2. I may watch the last half of the final season to see what is explained..if anything.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:57:20 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 04:10:27 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 24, 2009, 03:56:08 AM

We stopped watching at the end of season 2. I may watched the last half of the final season to see what is explained..if anything.

Don't bother- they've been explaining things for a while now (pretty much since the beginning of S4) so you'll be too, ahem, lost. 
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »

It makes better sense when you can watch it in big chunks on DVD, rather than having it doled out in small pieces according to the broadcast schedule. Unless your memory is far better than mine, it's much harder to make the obscure connections when you're only seeing 40 minutes a week, and not every week.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 04:27:29 PM »

PLUS...do NOT give up.  You may be tempted but last season was outstanding...they came back from the brink of being lost to find Lost so as to no be lost and now it is found. Or something.

While there are some things we may never learn, we got huge amount of information last season to un-lost Lost and expect tons more in the upcoming LAST season.

Really though, keep watching, it really is worth it.

Damn, I lost my keys, anyone see them?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 06:36:49 PM »

Yeah, what's really interesting to me is how much of what we see later in Seasons 4 and 5 is set up in Season 2 (which I'm watching now).  There are certain lines and scenes I just watched in S2 that carry much more weight given what we know happens later (and considering what might happen in S6).

Spoiler for Hiden:
I do hope we find out about Libby - I had completely forgotten her connection to Desmond and the boat, not to mention the connection with Hurley in the funny farm.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »

The Libby thing is weird:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  I think the official line is that it would have been addressed  in S4 but was cut when the writer's strike cut into that season and they started compressing storylines.  At this point they have too much too pack into the episodes they have left to address it so it will probably fall by the wayside.

But I've also read various reports hinting that the actress wasn't very willing to participate again and that's the real reason that it won't be dealt with.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 07:08:17 AM »

Quote from: walTer on July 24, 2009, 04:27:29 PM

Damn, I lost my keys, anyone see them?

Under that paper, no the other one by the thing.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »

So, we're in the beginning of second season, and the major characters are beginning to annoy me to no end... Whats up with Michael being a total pain in the butt, or Jack being completely and totally annoying as well, totally unwilling to listen to anything or anyone other than himself.

Quite frankly, I'd have moved if I marooned with these idiots anywhere. Or killed them all, whichever was quickest.

And with all the time they have on their hands, you'd think they had time to at least discuss some of the extremely strange stuff going on.

Oh, and black smoke dragging people down into holes? WTF?

If they completely ignore this at the end of the show, J.J Abrams will never get my viewing again

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 11:00:51 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 04, 2009, 10:54:19 AM

If they completely ignore this at the end of the show, J.J Abrams will never get my viewing again

They don't. Now go ahead and watch the show. The personalities you're mentioning are major parts of the show's character development and will pay off if you let them. The rest will come in time.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »

heh, shut up and enjoy the show? ;-) I'll try!! :-D

A new one
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »

If you are annoyed in Season 2, you will very likely become even extremely annoyed in Season 3.  I believe they lost the biggest chunk of their viewership during this period, for a number of reasons.  But keep sticking it out, things start to really turn around towards the second half and end of Season 3.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 11:45:13 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on August 04, 2009, 09:22:33 PM

If you are annoyed in Season 2, you will very likely become even extremely annoyed in Season 3.  I believe they lost the biggest chunk of their viewership during this period, for a number of reasons.  But keep sticking it out, things start to really turn around towards the second half and end of Season 3.

THIS! OMG! I ...AARRGGHH! I must scream at times when I watch this show.

seriously - did they make the actors make up stuff as they go along? Nothing makes sense anymore, people do things just because it's not expected...

Jack is the most annoying person in the world, and the fact that it now seems like they are all dead and in hell? WTH!!

I told my GF last night they now have two episodes to convince me that they are not in hell, and now have a chance to "Redeem" themselves before it all ends with them being back on the plane, landing happily because of all that happened on the island called "HELL"...sigh - If not, I'm out!

This is worse than "it was just a dream"...

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 12:46:20 PM »

The producers long, long ago confirmed that they are NOT in hell or purgatory. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 31, 2009, 12:46:20 PM

The producers long, long ago confirmed that they are NOT in hell or purgatory. 

Thanks Kevin!

What is really interesting, now that my outburstingness has cooled, is how much I CARE whenever I talk/write about the show.

If I didnt care, I'd just dismiss it I guess, but somehow they have managed to worm themselves so cleverly and througohly into my world, that I want it to be good,  I guess :-)

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 01:10:45 PM »

How far into the show are you? Around the middle of season 3 the first hints should start to drop about what's actually going on, and they'll get stronger towards the end of season 4, while season 5 spells it out in big, bold letters.

It's not a dream. It's not Hell. It's not Purgatory. Dismiss the spiritual and keep an open mind. Your questions will get answered. smile

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 01:16:24 PM »

Hmm, 20th or so episode of season 3 I think...

And thanks Tilt, I'll do so - I'll try to keep an open mind, but I thikn I'm too dense at times to understand whats going on...I might wiki it all once I've seen them all.

oh - SEason 5 is the final one, right? Just got season 4 today from Amazon yay! :-)

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 01:26:09 PM »

Nope Season 6 (the upcoming one) is the last.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 01:27:01 PM »

Season 6 is the final one, but it doesn't air until February next year. Season 5 is as far as we have come by now, but by that season the show went into complete answer-mode instead of presenting new questions all the time. Only a few core mysteries remain now.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »

Damn...then its an even longer wait to finally get everything solved!

oh well, I'll have to order season 5 then - should be out when season 6 starts I guess on dvd :-)

edit: 26th of october season 5 is out according to amazon UK!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:31:06 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 02:34:34 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 31, 2009, 01:27:56 PM

Damn...then its an even longer wait to finally get everything solved!

oh well, I'll have to order season 5 then - should be out when season 6 starts I guess on dvd :-)

edit: 26th of october season 5 is out according to amazon UK!

That's pretty good. Amazon Canada is showing December 8th.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 03:17:27 PM »

My wife and I just watched all 5 seasons in the last 2 1/2 weeks thanks to our newborn's fucked up sleep schedule. Good show but I'd have been pissed trying to watch it week to week with long breaks in between seasons.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 03:19:59 PM »

when my kids were little I watched the Star Wars trilogy and Indiana Jones trilogoes over and over...usually 1/2-1 hour at a time, in the middle of the night..
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »

So, watched the final episode of Season 3...and..eh..  retard Now what??

This is getting stranger and stranger.... And, it took me a while to understand that it was a flashforward, even though I read about them, but...wow...

I do hope season 4, which I just recieved from Amazon today is good, but I dont really know how it can be, when it seems that we know everything goes downhill from there...

A new one
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 09:27:53 PM »

I dunno, I thought season 4 and 5 had some of the strongest episodes in the series yet. Season 1 of course was great, and 2 had some quality stuff, but 3 just seemed to meander around so much in the first half that I started losing enthusiasm for the show. Late season 3 and then seasons 4 and 5 really helped recover from the season 3 doldrums.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 10:08:23 PM »

We watched this when it aired, but gave up after season 2 because they'd go entire weeks with nothing of note happening, and we couldn't take it any more. 

After hearing so much about how much better it was when watched on DVD, and how much seasons 4 and 5 improved things, I was going to pick up the complete thing on Bluray.   Then Amazon put them on instant watch in HD.  I think they may be my next series, now that I've finished off Babylon 5.  Though I suspect Lost will suffer after the amazingly tight scripting that went through all of Babylon 5.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 10:28:10 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 31, 2009, 10:08:23 PM

Though I suspect Lost will suffer after the amazingly tight scripting that went through all of Babylon 5.

Maybe not as much as you think- I've been stunned by how well everything is tying together.  It's far more cohesive than I would ever have imagined. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 10:39:50 PM »

Razgon you may be interested in the video game,i think its actually set inbetween season 2 and 3

its not bad,quite short(6hrs i think it took me)...and an easy 1000/1000 if that kinda thing does it for you....should be cheap now(rent if possible)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 11:39:13 PM »

The producers have admitted to the show meandering during Season 3 because they didn't have an end date so they had no idea where to go next.  Once they got an end date nailed down, they were able to forge forward and that led to a very strong Season 4 and 5.  "The Constant" is a brilliant episode.  crybaby
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 04:45:59 AM »

"The Constant" is also the worst episode in that it made fans who don't understand what's happening in the series explain every mystery with "this happened because that person is that different person's constant!". You can barely find a theory discussion at Lostpedia that doesn't involve a sentence like that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: