http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 05:49:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Lifestyle] Breaking my addiction to white powders (sugar, flour).  (Read 5981 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2011, 04:20:38 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on September 06, 2011, 05:36:25 AM

Quote from: Purge on September 06, 2011, 03:58:04 AM

Your body is maintained overnight by fat stores.

The potential to sleep yourself thin is sadly underreported.

It is used to demonstrate that your body consumes fat stores in a ketonic state when no carbs are present, not that it is a weight loss method. Standing for eight hours burns 3 times as many calories as sleeping.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2011, 07:53:18 PM »

All of this is very interesting and all, but where does ICE CREAM fit in?  Because I need a diet that will allow me to consume 4 liters of Ice Cream per week.  kthx.

Put me firmly in the camp of low carb being a healthy life style - I use Atkins / Paleo / whatever they want to call it this week every couple years to slim down and always feel great.  My problem is that I love me some pasta, fresh baked bread, potatoes and ICE CREAM.  Very very hard for me to stay off those things long term.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »

Yeah... I'm thinking I'm going to need to find a way to make full-fat ice-cream with very low carbs. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »

Fair enough. If you want to make the argument that unprocessed foods are more filling relative to the calories consumed, that's interesting, but carbs are still carbs as far as I'm concerned. Eating fewer carbs is good. I remain firm on the point that excess carbs is a problem, no matter how processed or unprocessed they might be.

Quote from: Crux on September 06, 2011, 12:25:14 PM

Quote from: Misguided on September 06, 2011, 03:48:02 AM

Quote from: Crux on September 05, 2011, 12:11:44 PM

Great post Eightball. Carbs are most definitely not in and of themselves evil. I eat carbs every day in the form of vegetables smile It's just the more refined the carbohydrate is, generally speaking that means the more chances the food industry has had to add some form of sugar to it.

All carbs can be broken down into sugars and converted into fats. To me the processed vs non-processed argument is kind of silly, like the HFCS vs cane sugar debate. It's all sugar. It can all be converted into fat. Is one a little better? Maybe, but in the long run it doesn't matter.

The real problem is we (as a society) eat more food than our bodies need. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, I love to eat. This is the beauty of low-carb eating because you can eat stupid amounts of food and still lose weight.

It isn't silly at all, Misguided. People eat because they are hungry. Generally speaking, absent psychological problems that cause overeating, they stop when they either are no longer hungry or when they feel full. Processed carbs are absurdly more calorie dense than unprocessed carbs. Like I said, every layer of processing gives the food industry another opportunity to add sugar and salt. And they never pass up an opportunity (after all they have to put all that corn somewhere). If you eat unprocessed carbs you can eat until you feel full while intaking significantly fewer calories. That's a win.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 06, 2011, 08:46:34 PM

Fair enough. If you want to make the argument that unprocessed foods are more filling relative to the calories consumed, that's interesting, but carbs are still carbs as far as I'm concerned. Eating fewer carbs is good. I remain firm on the point that excess carbs is a problem, no matter how processed or unprocessed they might be.

Well the interesting thing, is when you take potatoes out of the equation, it is nearly impossible to be overweight on the paleo diet. The only way I think it is possible is if you abuse the nuts and bananas. Outside of that I don't think it is physiologically possible. EDIT: To clarify, when your carbs aren't processed, they are so much more filling that eating too many calories becomes hard work.

And for the record, Paleo and atkins are not the same thing. Paleo advocates no grains of any sort, along with no dairy. The reasons for this aren't directly related to calories or body weight, but that's really a separate discussion that I wouldn't want to derail this one with.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:24:15 PM by Crux » Logged
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2011, 09:19:34 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 05, 2011, 08:49:32 PM

Quote from: Pharaoh on September 03, 2011, 12:26:04 AM

Kath, how hard you rate the recipes in that book? I'm a terrible chef, and my wife isn't much better, but those amazon reviews have my interest peeked. 1-10, what'd you guess to execute properly?

Sorry I missed this.  So far I'm a big fan.  They're all pretty much 8-10 out of 10.  There's only one I made that I didn't really like which was a cold chicken, radish, carrot, and tahini salad.  Just not for me - I am not a radish fan, it turns out.

Everything else I've made so far has been very tasty.  The first recipe in the book is for "protein balls" that you make by combining macadamia nuts, walnuts, dates, and coconut oil, and then rolling that into balls along with blueberries and shredded coconut.  I eat this daily as a portion of breakfast and have to force myself not to eat the entire bowl of "dough" in one sitting.  Other stuff I've made that I really like are an egg and bacon souffle (super easy, nothing like a normal souffle), a "fried rice" dish that uses grated cauliflower instead of rice and tastes great, "primal hot cereal" which is another breakfast using mashed-up nuts, and a sausage, pepper, zucchini, and sauerkraut saute.  Just back from the store and I'm making that last one again tonight actually.

Most of the dishes are very simple although so far they've all taken longer than the times listed in the book.  I am not a pro chef by any means but nothing has been a disaster.  If you have a small food processor, a skillet and a couple pans, and have chopped vegetables before, that's pretty much all the skills you need.

hmmm...9 bucks for the Kindle edition.  I think I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the write up!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2011, 09:45:53 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 06, 2011, 08:24:40 PM

Yeah... I'm thinking I'm going to need to find a way to make full-fat ice-cream with very low carbs. biggrin

Do that and your a bajillionaire. Not that you aren't already but I'd buy the heck out of a true tasty low-carb full fat ice cream smile.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »

Quote from: Crux on September 06, 2011, 09:11:15 PM

And for the record, Paleo and atkins are not the same thing. Paleo advocates no grains of any sort, along with no dairy. The reasons for this aren't directly related to calories or body weight, but that's really a separate discussion that I wouldn't want to derail this one with.

Wow, one reason I was able to handle Atkins was being able to eat dairy. Foregoing grains and dairy would be really tough.

On the subject of ice cream, the problem there is a structural one. Sugar not only serves as a sweetener, but helps give ice cream the structure that it has. Making it sweet isn't the problem, it is replacing sugar as a structural element.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 06, 2011, 06:13:06 AM

Fine fine. I amend the previous statement to any digestible carbohydrate. Fiber shouldn't even be listed as a carb on food products.

Actually I don't know of any food product (in the US) where fiber is listed as a carb?  (being serious btw).  In fact, most of the "diets" like atkins, etc count fiber as a negative (in a good way) and say you can subtract the fiber total from the carb total to get total carbs (14g carb, 4g fiber = 10g net carb).

I have to ask...some of the diets recommend giving up milk and other dairy products but then recommend using real butter.  Isn't butter considered a dairy product?  Is there something special about butter besides it's awesome delicious taste (try some home made real Amish made butter...the only butter good enough to eat by itself).
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2011, 11:37:58 PM »

Quote from: ericb on September 06, 2011, 11:14:10 PM

Actually I don't know of any food product (in the US) where fiber is listed as a carb?  (being serious btw).  In fact, most of the "diets" like atkins, etc count fiber as a negative (in a good way) and say you can subtract the fiber total from the carb total to get total carbs (14g carb, 4g fiber = 10g net carb).

Talk to the FDA:

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2011, 02:09:53 AM »

It's been a week now, and besides one day of odd bowel movements (hershey squirts which may have been attributed to a bug or something that didn't agree with me), I've been firm on very low carbs. I haven't had a lot of time to look into a recipe book, but since I've cut the carbs it pretty much cuts out milk (in liquid form). Is paleo NO MILK PRODUCTS ? Cheese and butter are such easy high-fat foods that you can actually find off the shelf, but it does seem unnatural to have it in more than rare occurance.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2011, 02:15:31 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 06, 2011, 11:37:58 PM

Quote from: ericb on September 06, 2011, 11:14:10 PM

Talk to the FDA:

Found this on about.com:

Fiber is still counted as “carbohydrates” in label-making and it may just be the path of least resistance to call ALL carbohydrates “4 calories per gram.” As for why there are calories in soluble fiber, according to the FDA, it is listed on food labels as having calories because it does, in a roundabout way, contribute calories to the body. This is because most soluble fiber is used by the bacteria in the colon to produce short-chain fatty acids which, in turn, are used by the body. These calories do not raise blood sugar, so when counting carbs, those in soluble fiber (like insoluble fiber) don’t count towards the total. This same situation is also true of oligosaccharides, which may or may not also be listed as fiber. The bottom line is when you are counting carbs, we can always subtract fiber from the total carbohydrate count on food labels.

Weird.  They also said the most countries (except the US) don't count fiber as a carb on the label.  Guess I just never thought of fiber as a carb.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2011, 02:19:21 AM »

In Canada we do as well.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2011, 02:24:07 AM »

Correction: (AFAIK), dairy *are* allowed on the paleo diet, as long as you are not lactose-intolerant. Along with sugar and the ilk, the amounts has to be controlled, however.

The bad guys in the Paleo diet are grains and legumes.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on September 07, 2011, 02:24:07 AM

Correction: (AFAIK), dairy *are* allowed on the paleo diet, as long as you are not lactose-intolerant. Along with sugar and the ilk, the amounts has to be controlled, however.

Nope. Genuine paleo calls for no dairy. Eating dairy is the most common 'cheat' for paleo eaters however, because it doesn't have the same drastic effect on them that grains do after not eating them for a while. Even then, most hard-core paleo people will cheat with cream in their coffee, the idea being that cream is mostly fat and contains very little of the proteins that are in dairy that are considered 'bad'.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2011, 03:18:47 PM »

Quote from: Crux on September 07, 2011, 10:05:04 AM

Nope. Genuine paleo calls for no dairy. Eating dairy is the most common 'cheat' for paleo eaters however, because it doesn't have the same drastic effect on them that grains do after not eating them for a while. Even then, most hard-core paleo people will cheat with cream in their coffee, the idea being that cream is mostly fat and contains very little of the proteins that are in dairy that are considered 'bad'.

If they drink coffee, they're not on the paleo diet.

Coffee are made from coffee beans, which are legumes.

I did some Googling, and you're right; some paleo diet interpretations eliminate dairy, while some others accept limited amounts of dairy.

They all, however, say that grains and legumes are out. So if you eat legumes... sorry.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2011, 03:26:03 PM »

Which means no peanuts or cashews.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 07, 2011, 03:26:03 PM

Which means no peanuts or cashews.

Yep.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »

I haven't decided if I'm going totally paleo, or just cutting out the carbs. I'm OK with some cheese. Can't drink milk.

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on September 07, 2011, 03:18:47 PM

Quote from: Crux on September 07, 2011, 10:05:04 AM

If they drink coffee, they're not on the paleo diet.

Coffee are made from coffee beans, which are legumes.

I did some Googling, and you're right; some paleo diet interpretations eliminate dairy, while some others accept limited amounts of dairy.

They all, however, say that grains and legumes are out. So if you eat legumes... sorry.

I don't eat legumes. I'll have to check with my friend what she does for coffee... she's hard-core, so she might have some kind of substitute. I never drink coffee myself, so I never even thought of that - but some of the people I know treat it like a religion so I'd be surprised if they overlooked that.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2011, 06:18:07 AM »

No beer on a paleo diet either. Yeck.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2011, 01:04:16 PM »

While beer is rarely found in any diet (if using the term to refer to consumption geared toward weight loss versus general caloric intake - in my case beer is a part of my diet, but I'm not "dieting" to lose weight), I struggle with "diets" that restrict nutritional variety.  I'm sure paleo has more variety than I give it credit for, but referring to the comments above about the general category of legumes, which includes coffee, nuts, etc, there are valuable, healthy fats in nuts, and while I understand cutting out unhealthy foods from a diet, I'm less anxious to cut out things like nuts, especially almonds, which are certainly of health benefit rather than detriment.

In most cases diets are meant to aid in weight loss, which paleo does quite well, but when adjusting the definition of the term to encompass food intake in general, I'm more inclined to gain nutrients from a variety of food sources (unprocessed carbohydrates, proteins, natural fats, etc). 

And there's no way I'm cutting beer out.  I'd rather never eat cake again.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »

No, nuts are in a paleo diet. It's just that neither cashews or peanuts are actually "nuts".

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 08, 2011, 06:18:07 AM

No beer on a paleo diet either. Yeck.

Yeah it is a huge lifestyle adjustment for most people. And most people pick their 'cheat' that they indulge occasionally. Mine is a little big of cheese here and there. I have never drunk alcohol or coffee so that wasn't any sort of a sacrifice. Giving up the grains originally was a big deal, but once I got over the sugar addiction hump it's been smooth sailing.

The thing I've found is, when I am prepared and have good food available it is really easy to stick to paleo. It gets hard simply because of the dearth of good quality food to be found when you don't prepare it yourself.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 08, 2011, 01:24:11 PM

No, nuts are in a paleo diet. It's just that neither cashews or peanuts are actually "nuts".

If restricting the definition to the botanical characterization, then you're still limiting nutritional sources as I mention above.  There aren't many options left when being so restrictive.  Whether cashews or peanuts are actually "true" nuts, they provide nutritional value to a diet (general term, not weight loss term). 

I'm not necessarily against the diet, just discussing it.  Paleo's restrictions wouldn't fit my lifestyle.  But I don't think it has to, as I like carbohydrates but also utilize unprocessed carbs for a portion of my energy supply. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »

Pete, peanuts are actually a legume. There's a biological health reason the paelo diet restricts legumes, beans, and grains. There is a good explanation of it at this link:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2010/09/19/paleo-diet-solution/
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »

Just adding that soybeans also count as legumes, so no soy sauce, soy milk, tofu, edamame, etc.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »

Okay, so here's my situation: 

I'm way overweight.  About 350 lbs on a 5'8" stocky frame.  Best I've had been 20 years is 198 after military training.  My goal right now is a slow and steady decline down to about 250 or so. 

I have a TON of pasta in the pantry right now.  So the immediate step is going to be to cook it all and get it eaten so that it's simply not in the house.  Same for the ice cream in the freezer (although admittedly, it's the first ice cream i've bought in a year). 

Then I'm going to work at cutting out white sugar and a lot of carbs.  It means I won't be drinking tea (I sweeten with sugar).  I'm going to cut out pasta / bread / rice.  I'm probably not cutting out legumes just yet, however. 

So I have a few questions, though:

How bad are these sandwich flats?  I like peanut butter / jelly periodically, and I was thinking about using those (we're talking maybe once a week or so, if that) to replace bread.   I'm already eating salads at work (they have an awesome salad bar here) with tons of vegetables and such.  What do I specifically need to AVOID in my salad?  I'm presuming wheat berries/barley are verboten.  What about flax seeds, cranberries and bean sprouts, however?  I'm going to be dropping them from 16oz of toppings to 8oz though (to cut the overall size of the salad down to probably about 12-16 oz total.  This will be either my breakfast or lunch.  I think for my other meal I'm going to stock up on deli meats and cheeses.  Are any of the flat breads actually workable with cutting down on carbs, or are they all uniformly bad?

What can I drink other than water?  I'm presuming oatmeal goes the way of all cereals, as well?
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2011, 04:02:45 PM »

For one, pasta is dirt cheap. Throw it away. All you'll accomplish by eating it all is taking your 'about 350' and turn it into 'about 360'. You don't need that. "Last Hurrahs" are a very common psychological ploy by people about to go on a diet - why sabotage yourself right before you begin?

The big danger in salads isn't the salad itself, it is the dressing. Stick to vinegarettes. Don't use cream-based dressings, as they pile the calories on.

Regarding sandwich flats - no redeeming nutritional value. You're basically eating a pile of fat wrapped in sugar. If you want to have a sandwich, then put some meat in it. A lot of meat. And some cheese. And if you can, squeeze some lettuce, tomatos, spinach or some kind of vegetable in there.

For now, you're best off drinking water only. Your body is going to need a lot of fluid, and the last thing you need to be doing is drinking calories. Have some green tea smile Drinking calories is one of the major downfalls, because it doesn't make you feel any more full (unless you're pounding the protein shakes, and even those have limits), but does add to your daily calorie intake by a large margin.

Also, ditch the artificial sweeteners - they will still give you the insulin spike of real sugar, and it messes with your system in a big way.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2011, 04:09:57 PM »

Quote from: Crux on September 08, 2011, 04:02:45 PM

The big danger in salads isn't the salad itself, it is the dressing. Stick to vinegarettes. Don't use cream-based dressings, as they pile the calories on.

I do use vinaigrettes.  We've got an awesome salad bar, as I've said smile

Regarding sandwich flats - no redeeming nutritional value. You're basically eating a pile of fat wrapped in sugar. If you want to have a sandwich, then put some meat in it. A lot of meat. And some cheese. And if you can, squeeze some lettuce, tomatos, spinach or some kind of vegetable in there.

Ah.  The main reason I've been thinking about the flats is the fiber content, since fiber supposedly counteracts fat, et al.

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2011, 04:46:43 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 08, 2011, 04:09:57 PM

Quote from: Crux on September 08, 2011, 04:02:45 PM

I do use vinaigrettes.  We've got an awesome salad bar, as I've said smile

Ah.  The main reason I've been thinking about the flats is the fiber content, since fiber supposedly counteracts fat, et al.

Fiber is great and all, it helps you feel more full as well as having digestive system benefits. But putting fiber around a PB&J is still just going to give you a bunch of sugar and fat. And look, fat is an important part of any diet. Your body needs healthy fats to function well. But generally speaking, get those fats from almonds and other sources over peanut butter smile

Again, unless you are full-blown into a paleo-type diet you can have your flats, or even regular bread. But you gotta balance out the sandwich. Couple of pieces of whole-grain bread aren't going to kill you, but put some real protein in the middle. And seriously consider cutting your sandwich in half and putting a couple of hours between eating them.

It's one thing to lose weight - the trick is losing weight while feeling good. And that all comes down to insulin management - whether or not you're a diabetic. Only ever eat light, low calorie carbs by themselves - like an apple. That's a blip in your insulin levels. Whenever you do down a reasonable amount of carbs, balance it out with a hunk of meat. If you're using regular bread, you should throw at least 6 oz of meat in the middle. It's a lot, but you'd be amazed at the difference in the way you feel.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »

But..but...I likes my peanut butter.  and it's even non-processed (honey-roasted peanuts run through a crusher, Whole Foods few).  And I do limit it.  The last batch of PB I bought was about 8-12 months ago, and I have about 30% of it left. biggrin

I may look at the store for low-carb flats, also.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »

My salad today:

Spinach, grilled cauliflower, cucumber, strawberries, carrots, bean sprouts, feta cheese, wheat berries, and grilled chicken breast with apricot-vanilla vinaigrette.  It's a large, though, not a small.  

Oh, and mushrooms.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »

When I was your weight, I went the protein power diet, which worked for me to keep off the weight (for the most part; there was a 10lb bounce off a 110lb loss).

The protein is important, but remember that you don't want to drive your protein level too high, as it can be toxic to your system. You need fats. Those fats are best derived from nuts, animal fats, etc. I'd drop PB&J like poison as all three are basically no good for you.

If you're going to eat fruit, eat fruit. Don't gorge yourself though, and having both water and nuts will go a long way in curbing your actual hunger.

I would recommend staying away from caffeine as well - IIRC it can act as a hunger stimulant. So basically you're about to change your lifestyle, and for the next two weeks you are going to be irritable. Expect it. Let people know that you would otherwise not want to snap at. Also, it gets better. I've gotten some funny looks for eating the pizza toppings off a pizza and leaving the bread on my plate. It's not ideal, but should you be put in a position where you need to eat foods others are eating, don't compromise what it is that you're doing- or bring your own food or go without.

It gets easier. I've now gone without any bread, pasta, sweets, coffee and legumes for over a week (there were a few bits here and there, but I'm not going to beat myself up over having half-a-forkful of cheesecake that my GF's mom made; I made sure that it didn't go alone into my system).

Best of luck man. The first bit is hard, but I'd totally take Crux's advice and either give it away or throw it away.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 08, 2011, 05:33:28 PM

It's a large, though, not a small.  

Keep in mind that while the "calories in, calories out" method is a misapplied law of thermodynamics, one law is upheld - since you are bigger, your body will demand more. If it's good food, then it will satisfy your hunger. Once your body gets used to having energy available via your adipose tissue (fat cell storage), you will begin to burn it in conjunction with your caloric intake. Your body knows how big it SHOULD be, and when it is allowed to control itself without the insulin interference that high-carb foods do to you, it will begin losing weight naturally. Your hunger will gradually become something to be trusted and not feared.

(I'm starting to trust it now, and I've lost 4lbs in the last week or so). Last night I had asparagus, a tossed salad with a few garden tomatoes, and about 10oz steak with the fat and gristle.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:43:01 PM by Purge » Logged

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »

Don't give up peanut butter if you don't want to. It's a great food, especially if you have a nice whole foods peanut butter. Do not get low fat peanut butter, however, as they throw in a million fillers to make up for the loss of fat. I often eat peanut butter in my smoothies. You gotta be careful and not go overboard with it, though smile. Sandwich flats are fine, again so long as they are limited.

As I've been saying, I've done very well on a diet with lots of carbs. My carbs just come almost entirely from unprocessed foods. I even eat some bread, but not much, and it's usually before a workout. Unfortunately that means pasta is out as pasta is processed like mad. What I typically eat:

Breakfast - 2 packs of oatmeal with some almond milk - yeah they're processed but there's very little that's as filling, easy and tasty as oatmeal. It's also got decent protein.
Lunch - Tuna fish with a tbsp of light mayo in a lettuce wrap. I actually like the lettuce wrap better than the bread.  or
Eggs
Dinner - Chicken breast with green beans with onions/mushrooms.
Snacks - Lots and lots and lots of fruit. This week I've had grapes, orchard-fresh apples (ginger gold is yummy), peaches, nectarines, bananas, plus some mixed fruit at a family gathering on Sunday. I also eat no-sugar-added fudgesicles or popsicles.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2011, 06:04:12 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 08, 2011, 05:36:35 PM

I'd drop PB&J like poison as all three are basically no good for you.

See this is the problem I'm having with you guys. You wouldn't be more wrong if you had said 2+2=5. Peanut butter is an excellent food. It has a lot of healthy fats, which you adore, of course, not to mention a good bit of protein. It's an amazing food for athletes and both pre and post exercise. You just can't eat a whole jar of the stuff.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »

Right, but the bread and jam put it square in the middle of a bad-for-you-sandwich, on top of which it is a legume.

I'm not going paleo (ATM), so while I see value in the all natural PB, what do you eat it on? Baked tuna?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:27:54 PM by Purge » Logged

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »

I'm going to look at my jelly when I get home, also.  I have been buying the 'pure fruit' stuff for a few years, but I'm not sure how much added sugar is in it.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 08, 2011, 06:10:46 PM

I'm not going paleo (ATM), so while I see value in the all natural PB, what do you eat it on? Baked tuna?

Bread. Multi-grain or whole wheat english muffin for me personally. Sometimes with jam, which again is not an evil in moderation. Or, as I said, I put it in my smoothies sometimes. It's a fantastic energy food, though if you're going to use it for recovery after exercise you need to add carbs to it. I usually do that with a banana.

Quote from: Zarkon on September 08, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

I'm going to look at my jelly when I get home, also.  I have been buying the 'pure fruit' stuff for a few years, but I'm not sure how much added sugar is in it.

What they'll often do here is sweeten them with concentrated juice instead of sugar. Same effect, just doesn't look as bad, I guess. Personally I use some Smuckers stuff that's been sweetened with Splenda.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:26:57 PM by cheeba » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: