http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 12:54:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Legal] Jack Thompson to face potential disbarment.  (Read 984 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »

Warning: Do NOT bring up any R&P spinoffs such as religious zealotry or political faction stances; this is meant to be a discussion on legal issues.
Don't get my thread locked.  crybaby

I saw this over at www.ozymandias.com :

GamePolitics has learned that controversial Miami attorney Jack Thompson faces a disciplinary hearing before a referee appointed by the Florida Supreme Court.

The pending judicial review follows a recent recommendation by the Florida Bar that five counts of professional misconduct against Thompson should proceed to the state’s high court for action. If the charges are eventually upheld, Thompson could face disciplinary action up to and including disbarment.

Apparently you can get the the full scoop over at gamepolitics.com.

I think that he's just one nut, and another 2 will show up to replace him.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 05:54:11 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 06:14:12 PM »

If I thought it would shut him up, I'd be happy. But even if he does get disbarred, he'll keep his crusade going by some other way. He'll join the PTC or speak on the 700 Club, he'll run for office, or he'll do something else to keep his name in the media.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:37:45 PM »

Isn't he on the bar in several states, though? 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 07:15:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 05, 2007, 06:37:45 PM

One at a time, man, one at a time...

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 07:36:58 PM »

As much as we all hate Jack, in some ways I think we need to keep him around.  The guy is so obviously batshit insane that very few people actually take him seriously.  Imagine if the gaming industry was trying to fight against someone with all of Jack's "video games are teh evil" conviction, but the smarts to present it without coming across as a complete loon.  That would certainly be a more formidable foe.

unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:40:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 05, 2007, 05:52:13 PM

I think that he's just one nut, and another 2 will show up to replace him.

Eternal vigilance.  You don't appease people and assume someone else will just follow in their footsteps.

Thompson is a sociopath with a big mouth.  As much as I dislike James Carville, he said one of my favorite quotes: "when your opponent is drowning, throw the son of a bitch an anvil".  If Jack wants to hang himself, I say we help him in any way we can.

Quote from: Gratch on February 05, 2007, 07:36:58 PM

Imagine if the gaming industry was trying to fight against someone with all of Jack's "video games are teh evil" conviction, but the smarts to present it without coming across as a complete loon.  That would certainly be a more formidable foe.

I doubt that is possible.  It's clearly such an insane position, whoever holds it is either out for personal glory (like Jack), or else completely bat-poop loco in the first place (like Jack).  Either way, their view is easy to knock down.  There isn't a shred of legitimate facts which supports the idea that video games turn the 50% (and growing) of Americans who play them into serial killers.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 07:43:28 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 08:03:17 PM »

thumbsup
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 08:12:58 PM »

Without derailing my workday too much to actually read the links -- is this the guy who was crying about Bully (and I'd suspect other games?)

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Spiff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 05, 2007, 06:37:45 PM

Not sure if the bar operates the same way as my state accountancy board, but if I were to have my license or permit suspended or revoked by one state (I have CPA permits in Oklahoma and Texas), that is cause for the other state to deny my annual renewal. Hopefully the various state bars work the same way. finger

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »

Quote from: JLu on February 05, 2007, 08:12:58 PM

Without derailing my workday too much to actually read the links -- is this the guy who was crying about Bully (and I'd suspect other games?)

Yeah.  I believe Thompson's exact statement was that Bully would be a Columbine simulator.  Imagine his dismay when it wasn't.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 01:59:53 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 05, 2007, 09:07:56 PM

Quote from: JLu on February 05, 2007, 08:12:58 PM

Yeah.  I believe Thompson's exact statement was that Bully would be a Columbine simulator.  Imagine his dismay when it wasn't.

Having actually played the game, that is a funny statement from him...  I remember spending half of that game running away from Jocks.  Some people just need real hobbies; I swear.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »

I'm kind of surprised it didn't happen sooner really.  It's not that the topic of video game violence isn't a hot button issue, because it is.  (At least politically) It's just the fact that he was so bad at framing the issue in a way that didn't make him look like a complete moron.  Not to mention his obvious anger management issues that caused him grief on a very public and widespread level many times. 

Towing the party line is one thing, not being capable of towing the party line is another thing entirely.  He's just not capable of towing the party line.  smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 07:51:51 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on February 06, 2007, 06:19:00 PM

I'm kind of surprised it didn't happen sooner really.  It's not that the topic of video game violence isn't a hot button issue, because it is.  (At least politically) It's just the fact that he was so bad at framing the issue in a way that didn't make him look like a complete moron.  Not to mention his obvious anger management issues that caused him grief on a very public and widespread level many times. 

Towing the party line is one thing, not being capable of towing the party line is another thing entirely.  He's just not capable of towing the party line.  smile

These things generally take quite a while. For instance, even though he seemingly blatantly has abused his position for the past year, only recently did Mike Nifong face disciplinary measures from the NC bar. These things take time-just be glad its started.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 08:00:01 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 06, 2007, 07:51:51 PM

Quote from: deadzone on February 06, 2007, 06:19:00 PM

These things generally take quite a while. For instance, even though he seemingly blatantly has abused his position for the past year, only recently did Mike Nifong face disciplinary measures from the NC bar. These things take time-just be glad its started.

Very true.  I guess things like this always take time. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: