http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:14:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Kickstarter]Robotech Academy  (Read 545 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:59:37 PM »

Robotech Academy   Harmony Gold is looking to complete Carl Macek's vision for the next step in the Robotech Saga. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »

But didn't Harmony Gold mess with the original story to the point where it was considerably worse than the Japanese version?  I'm not sure continuing his vision is what a fan would want.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:20:17 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 07, 2014, 02:07:00 PM

But didn't Harmony Gold mess with the original story to the point where it was considerably worse than the Japanese version?  I'm not sure continuing his vision is what a fan would want.

Robotech was a combination of three totally unrelated anime' for the US audience and I was fine with the story.  I know some take exception with combining the original source material, but when I was 15 this series was must watch after school

NiM$
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:05:50 PM »

Loved the original series as a kid.

Thought Sentinels was bunk.

Have no idea what the proper story is vs. the non-proper story.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 07, 2014, 03:05:50 PM

You probably mostly remember the adventures of the SDF-1 with Rick Hunter, Minmei, Admiral Gloval, etc.  Those episodes have nothing to do with the adventures of Rand and the other guys with motorcycles that turn into robots.  You probably have little to no memory of the adventures of Dana Sterling, but those were also hamfisted into the 'Robotech' umbrella despite having nothing to do with the above two series.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »

The downside, as I understand it, is that Harmony Gold is preventing any of the real Macross sequels (of which there were several in Japan) from coming out to the US.  Macross, I believe, is the only one of the series to get proper sequels to the original Japanese show as well.

One interesting thing from the originals is that Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (Invid Invasion) released before Super Dimension Southern Cross and wasn't part of the Super Dimension series.  The Super Dimension shows consisted of
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Super Dimension Century Orguss
Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross

Story wise, the 3 Super Dimension series were unrelated, but similar in themes.  Orguss was dropped entirely from Robotech, with them using the earlier released MOSPEADA to be the final segment of the show.

I actually have an Orguss action figure at home, even though I didn't know what it was until years after I got it.

Orguss
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:37:47 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 03:49:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 07, 2014, 03:30:08 PM

You probably mostly remember the adventures of the SDF-1 with Rick Hunter, Minmei, Admiral Gloval, etc.  Those episodes have nothing to do with the adventures of Rand and the other guys with motorcycles that turn into robots.  You probably have little to no memory of the adventures of Dana Sterling, but those were also hamfisted into the 'Robotech' umbrella despite having nothing to do with the above two series.

I watched all 3 series. Invid invasion was my favorite. macross was 2. Robotech Masters (Dana Sterling) was a distant 3rd.

And how did they not match up? Seemed to work pretty well?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 04:05:24 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 07, 2014, 03:49:03 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 07, 2014, 03:30:08 PM

I watched all 3 series. Invid invasion was my favorite. macross was 2. Robotech Masters (Dana Sterling) was a distant 3rd.

And how did they not match up? Seemed to work pretty well?

Imagine you heard that a studio in Russia bought the rights to GoBots, Transformers, and Voltron, changed names and some dialogue, and then played them together as seasons in a series with their stories and characters all somehow being connected.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 05:21:15 PM »

For the Robotech only folks, Protoculture isn't remotely the same.  It's only in Macross, for one, and it's neither a plant or energy source, but is as its name implies, the first culture, basically think Precursors or Forerunners. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 05:33:41 PM »

I like Robotech, but Harmony Gold can suck my left nut after the Battletech SNAFU
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 07, 2014, 05:21:15 PM

For the Robotech only folks, Protoculture isn't remotely the same.  It's only in Macross, for one, and it's neither a plant or energy source, but is as its name implies, the first culture, basically think Precursors or Forerunners.

Remotely the same as what?  My hypothetical Volt-Go-Formers show?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »

I've always wanted a Wonder Twins/Breaking Bad hybrid series.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 06:08:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 07, 2014, 05:53:33 PM

Between Macross, Southern Cross, MOSPEADA and Robotech.   Protoculture is the through line between the series in the US adaptation, but is only actually present in Macross as a term and there it means something else entirely.  Southern Cross does have the Flowers of Light though which basically do behave as what is presented in Robotech as Protoculture.  Neither are present in MOSPEADA.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 07, 2014, 06:08:44 PM

Between Macross, Southern Cross, MOSPEADA and Robotech.   Protoculture is the through line between the series in the US adaptation, but is only actually present in Macross as a term and there it means something else entirely.  Southern Cross does have the Flowers of Light though which basically do behave as what is presented in Robotech as Protoculture.  Neither are present in MOSPEADA.

I may be missing what you're trying to say, but hypothetically you could just find some way to bring the Matrix of Leadership into GoBots and Voltron to have a similar tie-together.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »

This thread delivers in such a delightful way.   thumbsup

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 06:22:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 07, 2014, 06:16:22 PM

This thread delivers in such a delightful way.   thumbsup

edit: oh wait no, better one:
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 06:23:10 PM »

Random soon to be victim: You're Dusty Ayres we've...
Dusty Ayres: Missile Launch blam flam blamaa flammma!

Went out a killa!
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 07, 2014, 06:14:12 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on July 07, 2014, 06:08:44 PM

I may be missing what you're trying to say, but hypothetically you could just find some way to bring the Matrix of Leadership into GoBots and Voltron to have a similar tie-together.

Ok, I really can't tell if you're just being intentionally daft now as you sometimes do.  This had nothing to do with your hypothetical show.  I was pointing out one of the major rewrites that was done for the US version to try and tie them all together.  If you were a big fan of the series, and maybe played the Palladium Robotech P&P RPG, you knew what Protoculture was, except that wasn't what it was supposed to be at all.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »

This is clearly the kind of thread that has to turn to insults.  Can't go just talking to each other nicely.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »

Wow, that turned sour rather quickly.   icon_cry

Wait...I know what's wrong...

We had a serious lack of Micronauts.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 07, 2014, 06:22:33 PM

For the record this would never happen. Optimus would have kicked Leader 1's ass up and down the galaxy.

Rick Hunter in his Skull Squadron Veritech would have taken them both at the same time.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 06:49:48 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 07, 2014, 06:45:17 PM

Rick Hunter in his Skull Squadron Veritech would have taken them both at the same time.

How about Jetfire/Skyfire vs. Rick Hunter + Veritech?  IP lawyers don't get to enter the fight.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 06:54:37 PM »

Robotech already crossed over with Transformers

I've lost some of the super armor pieces for mine  icon_frown

Also bonus, here's a video I did testing out an iphone stop motion app.  Sadly this figure only has a robot and guardian mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsuOOc0MkK0

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 07, 2014, 06:49:48 PM

Quote from: ATB on July 07, 2014, 06:45:17 PM

How about Jetfire/Skyfire vs. Rick Hunter + Veritech?  IP lawyers don't get to enter the fight.

Any punk who loses one on one against Starscream ain't got no chance against Rick Hunter.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »

When's Minmei going to sing?  I would like to be absent for that.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 08:19:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 07, 2014, 05:33:41 PM

I like Robotech, but Harmony Gold can suck my left nut after the Battletech SNAFU

Was that Harmony Gold or the original Japanese IP holders who claimed those mechs?

NiM$
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 08:35:12 PM »

Also, why the demand that it be specifically your left testicle?  Is the right nut less worthy for some reason?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 07, 2014, 08:35:12 PM

Also, why the demand that it be specifically your left testicle?  Is the right nut less worthy for some reason?

Harmony Gold owns the rights to all of our right testicles.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »

Did you perhaps all make your right testicles more attractive to Harmony Gold in such a way as to draw their attention during the nut purchasing process?  Glitter perhaps?  Or maybe some kind of velvet draping?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 07, 2014, 08:38:03 PM

Did you perhaps all make your right testicles more attractive to Harmony Gold in such a way as to draw their attention during the nut purchasing process?  Glitter perhaps?  Or maybe some kind of velvet draping?

Nothing like that.  Right Testicle™ is just the name of one of the Zentraedi™ ships:

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 02:40:16 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 07, 2014, 08:19:56 PM

Was that Harmony Gold or the original Japanese IP holders who claimed those mechs?
They can claim it all they want, but they'll never take my Marauder II from me.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2014, 02:51:35 PM »

Why is that mech crapping out a pilot?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:16 AM »

As much as I LOVED Robotech as a child and still do, harmony gold can suck it.  I will give them no monies.  They are effectively cock blocking all new Macross series from entering the US.  Look up Macross Year 0.  Awesome show, we don't get it here.  Also there was a kick ass looking PS3 Macross game released last year celebrating the 30th anniversary.  We don't get it.  Want any toys? Nope, they send cease and desist letters to places carrying stuff.

Their latest release Shadow Chronicles pretty much blew. And the final nail in the coffin for me is that they are asking for $500,000 to do only a pilot?  That seems like a lot to just do 1 show.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 07, 2014, 04:05:24 PM

Imagine you heard that a studio in Russia bought the rights to GoBots, Transformers, and Voltron, changed names and some dialogue, and then played them together as seasons in a series with their stories and characters all somehow being connected.

and Transformers are rebranded/renamed American introduction of Diaclone and Microman toys. and Voltron is an Americanized mush-together/re-scripting of Beast King GoLion and Armored Fleet Dairugger XV.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2014, 04:05:50 PM »

Looks like this probably won't make it unless they see some major contributions near the end. It's trending 150k under the goal.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »

If you're referring to the BattleTech Animated Series, that was actually Saban Entertainment and not Harmony Gold. But Harmony Gold, along  with a whole bunch of other producers can suck both of my nuts for not putting $ behind a decent BattleTech animated series. And oh yeah, Amblin Ent., Sony Ent. and countless other producers can do the same for not realizing the awesomeness of the canon and producing a great live action film from it.

I wouldn't give a penny to anything Harmony Gold is behind. IMO the best thing that has been done with the franchise since the original Japanese Macross animes is Macross Plus. That was done by Bandai Entertainment, so if they were driving this it'd be something for me to get enthused about and consider pledging.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: