http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 02:33:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Job related] Here we go again.  (Read 542 times)
lildrgn
Gaming Trend Senior Member

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:04:55 PM »

Just found out yesterday that my contract here will not be renewed. My last day of work will be 6.20.

When I asked why I wasn't being renewed, I was told that it was "management's decision."

I haven't rocked the boat, haven't been pulled into production meetings, have performed above average, have not missed any work. In other words, I don't think I have given them any reasons that might be performance related that would lead to a non-renewal.

Though this is an at-will job, where they can let me go/not renew at their leisure, I wonder what my rights are as to simply finding out why I'm not being renewed.

In 10 months of working here, not once have I been given any sort of review or evaluation of my performance. We have screens where I can see my scores, but there have never been any red flags or indicators that I should have been worried for my job.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:12:38 PM »

That sucks. I hope you can find something else quickly. I think you are SOL if they don't give you an honest answer up front though, especially since they are just letting your contract expire.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »

Shite, man! So sorry to hear. I'm now back on the job market after the gov shutdown fiasco. It's tough out there. Hope you find something (again) soon!
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »

Oh jeez, can't you get a break?  Hope you find something else soon, dude. frown

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 04:39:19 PM »

if it's contract work I'm guessing they probably found someone that they are paying less to do the same amount of work.  on the plus side at least you have two months notice.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »

I'd find another job ASAP and vacate without giving them more than two weeks warning. You're being fair, and they've effectively given you notice of termination.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 15, 2011, 05:22:19 PM

I'd find another job ASAP and vacate without giving them more than two weeks warning. You're being fair, and they've effectively given you notice of termination.

Can he do that if he signed a contract?

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:05:40 PM »

There are people that have left this gig for better gigs. But that was before being told they were being let go.

Anyway, apparently they are cutting a bunch of people. So, people in the PacNW that want a gig at the Goog, COME ON DOWN!

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 06:26:53 PM »

Chins up! I got placed in a difficult situation too jobwise just a few months ago. I work as a systems developer (a glorified programmer). At the end of January I got notice that I was going to be forced to go on furlough (I suppose that's what it's called anyway) two weeks later. Essentially, in Norway this means that I stay at home until the company I work for calls me back, which can be no later than 12 months after the furlough started. In the meantime they don't have to pay me, but I instead get covered by the state, which pays about 64% of my regular salary. That's a major hit to anyone with a decently sized paycheck (and mine is), so I wasn't pleased.

Turns out they weren't even allowed to do so. There are very strict rules about when you can and can't lay people off in Norway, and laying people off temporarily is even more strictly regulated. I don't know what my boss was thinking. Perhaps he thought I'd bend over for him or he just thought I wouldn't be aware of my rights. In any case, I started defending my rights (while staying at home as ordered). In the end I won on all counts and they now end up having to pay me for the entire time I've been at home (2 1/2 months, roughly). In addition they lost me as an employee as I wouldn't stand for shit like that. During a furlough you can quit your job with only 2 weeks notice (the workplace doesn't have the same right), which I made sure to use immediately after I received a job offer elsewhere.

The conclusion? I pretty much got nearly 3 months of paid "vacation" and a new and better job in a bigger and more stable company, with a much higher salary and considerably better benefits (just about the best you can get as a regular worker in this country). I start in 1 1/2 weeks, and I can't wait. I received several job offers during this time and had the luxury of being able to decline the ones that I felt weren't quite good enough (even if they still were much better than what I had before). I was offered positions as senior developer even though I've barely passed 30. A pretty good ego boost in other words.

All this because I kept my chin up and looked forward at all times.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 15, 2011, 06:26:53 PM

Teach that to Wile E. Coyote, and he'd never hit the canyon floor. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 15, 2011, 06:26:53 PM

Chins up! I got placed in a difficult situation too jobwise just a few months ago. I work as a systems developer (a glorified programmer). At the end of January I got notice that I was going to be forced to go on furlough (I suppose that's what it's called anyway) two weeks later. Essentially, in Norway this means that I stay at home until the company I work for calls me back, which can be no later than 12 months after the furlough started. In the meantime they don't have to pay me, but I instead get covered by the state, which pays about 64% of my regular salary. That's a major hit to anyone with a decently sized paycheck (and mine is), so I wasn't pleased.

Turns out they weren't even allowed to do so. There are very strict rules about when you can and can't lay people off in Norway, and laying people off temporarily is even more strictly regulated. I don't know what my boss was thinking. Perhaps he thought I'd bend over for him or he just thought I wouldn't be aware of my rights. In any case, I started defending my rights (while staying at home as ordered). In the end I won on all counts and they now end up having to pay me for the entire time I've been at home (2 1/2 months, roughly). In addition they lost me as an employee as I wouldn't stand for shit like that. During a furlough you can quit your job with only 2 weeks notice (the workplace doesn't have the same right), which I made sure to use immediately after I received a job offer elsewhere.

The conclusion? I pretty much got nearly 3 months of paid "vacation" and a new and better job in a bigger and more stable company, with a much higher salary and considerably better benefits (just about the best you can get as a regular worker in this country). I start in 1 1/2 weeks, and I can't wait. I received several job offers during this time and had the luxury of being able to decline the ones that I felt weren't quite good enough (even if they still were much better than what I had before). I was offered positions as senior developer even though I've barely passed 30. A pretty good ego boost in other words.

No disrespect, but in the United States things can be far more brutal. "At-will" states can basically let you go for no reason whatsoever. The only way you have any leverage is if you can prove termination due to discrimination.  I've had to terminate many good people at my company simply based upon "estimated future declines in business"... even though sales were trending up and everyone was receiving bonuses well above average.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 15, 2011, 08:18:19 PM

No disrespect, but in the United States things can be far more brutal. "At-will" states can basically let you go for no reason whatsoever. The only way you have any leverage is if you can prove termination due to discrimination.  I've had to terminate many good people at my company simply based upon "estimated future declines in business"... even though sales were trending up and everyone was receiving bonuses well above average.

Sure, I know that. You're missing my point however, which is all in the first and last sentence of my previous post.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »

LD, it sounds like it is a financial decision, and not a performance based decision if they are letting a bunch of people go at once... sounds like the positions were eliminated.  In that case I wouldn't feel too bad... no work of course blows, but with the very small amount of information I have on the situation, it sounds like it's not through any fault of your own.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 10:05:23 PM »

Quote from: kratz on April 15, 2011, 09:54:25 PM

LD, it sounds like it is a financial decision, and not a performance based decision if they are letting a bunch of people go at once... sounds like the positions were eliminated.  In that case I wouldn't feel too bad... no work of course blows, but with the very small amount of information I have on the situation, it sounds like it's not through any fault of your own.

I agree. It was the same thing with my case. I never gave it a second thought and instead focused on getting something better. This kind of stuff happens to everyone at some time, and we just have to rise above it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: