http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 02:54:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [HEROES] - Season Two. Anyone IN? [spoilers inevitable]  (Read 9310 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2007, 01:58:58 PM »

I'm really surprised they didn't use Peter's amnesia as more of a cop-out to tone down his powers.  I guess I should be glad to see them avoid an obvious plotline, but it would be so easy to have him slowly remember his powers over course the season.

In Season 1 I thought the solar eclipse was just symbolism, but given the sudden appearance of Takezo Kensei's regeneration, I wonder if we're meant to think that the eclipses really are directly tied to the bestowing of powers.

I'm a little disappointed that they're doubling up on so many powers already.  I'd rather see people have different but similar powers--like two different styles of flying, or maybe a darker version of the regeneration power.

Oh yeah, and my fiancee reminded me of a Sylar power that I had completely forgotten about: his ability to turn things into liquid.  He never really took advantage of that one after he got it.  Can we assume that Peter has gained that ability from his close encounter with Sylar?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2007, 02:06:19 PM »

I don't see why not.  As far as I understand it, any power that Sylar had at that point in time is now accessible to Peter.

Which begs the question... Does Peter have Hiro's power of time-travel and just have no clue how to actually "use" it? 

If anyone has a good enough memory, and could list Peter's known powers vs. Sylar's, I would like to see it.  I bet the lists are pretty long by now.

Regarding Mya - That young lady is downright nasty.  Without her brother, she is a virtual lifeform-destruction machine waiting to happen.  Anyone know what exactly triggers her power?  Is it fear or anger, or the act of crying itself, or what?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2007, 02:29:04 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 09, 2007, 02:06:19 PM

Which begs raises the question... Does Peter have Hiro's power of time-travel and just have no clue how to actually "use" it?

When he was on the New York roof in episode episode he stops bullets or taser shots or something, but I can't remember if he uses telekinesis or time stoppery.  Wikipedia says he uses teleportation in the future in "Five Years Gone," but I don't recall the specifics.  In that bar fight perhaps?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2007, 03:14:44 PM »

I don't remember either.  Perhaps he did in fact use it already.

That is a really interesting power.  My brain has always had heaps of trouble with movies/shows that involved time travel.  I had to watch Deja Vu numerous times before I felt comfortable with it.  Personally, I wouldn't mind if he never used it.

The "freezing" of time I can deal with though.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2007, 03:34:03 PM »

He did use it, and was using it right when Hiro first came to him. He wouldn't have been able to move otherwise.

The neat thing about Peter NOW is that he doesn't need to think about the people to use his abilities; they are now resources at his disposal.

I bet they're going to play the "absolute power corrupts absolutely".... he's a frog swimming in cold water in the pot. The criminal life is going to be turned up slowly and not even realize it. He will be the next Lindermann. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2007, 03:35:58 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 09, 2007, 03:14:44 PM

That is a really interesting power.  My brain has always had heaps of trouble with movies/shows that involved time travel.  I had to watch Deja Vu numerous times before I felt comfortable with it.  Personally, I wouldn't mind if he never used it.

Don't forget he's also got time reversal.  There was that one episode where Hiro not only stopped bullets, he made them reverse and slam back into the chamber.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2007, 05:56:26 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 09, 2007, 01:58:58 PM

I'm a little disappointed that they're doubling up on so many powers already.  I'd rather see people have different but similar powers--like two different styles of flying, or maybe a darker version of the regeneration power.

It's possible that Kensei and Claire have similar powers because they're related somehow, and if West is a plant from The Company, then it's possible he was chosen because he has the same power as Claire's father.  I don't think they're doubling up on powers because of lack of creativity.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2007, 06:46:52 PM »

Refresh my memory - Did the company ever state they have a way to actually 'give' people powers?  I don't think they ever said that, but I just can't remember.

LD

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2007, 06:48:05 PM »

I think they do not. I believe it is strictly a tag-n-bag operation.

Suresh is going to die before the end of this season. I just know it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »

...and that would bum me out.  Aren't he and Noah Bennet the only two "main" characters without powers nowadays?

LD

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2007, 07:01:38 PM »

I think Suresh has powers; he just doesn't know about them.

Maybe his blood can cure any disease.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2007, 08:06:34 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 09, 2007, 03:35:58 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on October 09, 2007, 03:14:44 PM

Don't forget he's also got time reversal.  There was that one episode where Hiro not only stopped bullets, he made them reverse and slam back into the chamber.

IIRC, he doesn't know that he has time reversal though.  He had his eyes shut and didn't realize what happened. 
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2007, 12:07:21 AM »

Slow episode, but still entertaining for the most part.

It was nice to see Sylar take out illusion girl. 

I'm hoping they ramp up Maya and Alejandro's story pretty soon.  This is what, the third episode in a row where they run, get separated, black oil comes out, they get back together, back to running. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2007, 03:10:49 AM »

My GF commented on the reusing powers thing too.

My thinking is that since they keep harping on the evolution angle, it makes sense that we keep seeing the same powers.  They're the most successful mutations that continue to be passed on to the offspring.

I've never been convinced that Peter inherited all Sylar's powers.  Seems like he would have made more use of them, and he never exhibited any of the powers that he would only have been able to access via Sylar.  I suspect that his ability can only absorb powers direct from the source, and since Sylar's are somehow ingested, and are therefore copies, Peter can't use them.

I wonder if we're going to find out exactly how Sylar steals powers.  The missing brains led me to believe that he ate the brains directly, but when he killed Illusion Girl, he seemed to think he had her power without brain eating.  At least, it looked like no brain eating, and he didn't seem to absorb it very well, so who knows?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2007, 04:02:21 AM »

Sylar's power is probably the ability to figure out how things work down to the tiniest parts.  That's why he fixed watches.  And a secondary ability was to incorporate and internalize those changes once he understood.

Thus, he picks apart people's brains to see how their powers work.

I think Peter has to see someone use it, so he can think and "remember" that person.  At least that's how he consciously controls it.  Something was clearly done to him this season that changed that.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2007, 11:43:54 AM »

I used to think Peter couldn't absorb Sylar's powers either. 

But yet again, my memory is horrible:  Who else besides Sylar did Peter meet that had the use of telekinesis?

LD

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2007, 12:42:10 PM »

No one. I don't think Peter's ability has anything to do with conscious state recognition; he picked up Claire-bears powers "accidentally". (that was the big shocker pic, right?).

It's too bad he never met Mr. Lindermann... however if his mommy has that power, then it stands to reason that he would have inherited it even though he doesn't currently know about it.

He really should do a "ps -ef|grep powers" on himself.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2007, 01:23:27 PM »

What power does his mommy have?  I didn't even remember them revealing it.

I bet I could watch season one all over again and it would be like watching a new show.  I'm serious.  I need some of those Memory Boosting pills I see advertized on tv.

LD

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2007, 03:07:45 PM »

I forgot DL died at the end of Season 1-  I thought he was still alive but badly wounded like Parkman.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2007, 03:08:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2007, 03:07:45 PM

I forgot DL died at the end of Season 1-  I thought he was still alive but badly wounded like Parkman.

You didn't forget- he was alive at the end of the S1 finale.  I'm sure we'll find out how he actually died in the upcoming flashback episode.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2007, 03:16:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 11, 2007, 03:08:57 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2007, 03:07:45 PM

You didn't forget- he was alive at the end of the S1 finale.  I'm sure we'll find out how he actually died in the upcoming flashback episode.

right after I posted that it occurred to me that maybe they're faking his death to help Nikki as they are working with Suresh/HRG to infiltrate the Company.

It was cool to see Uhura- too bad she didn't get any screen time with Sulu.

Because I can,
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2007, 12:46:49 PM »

Heroes - where Star Trek actors go... and come from. smile

We've had Sulu, Uhura, Linderman (Star Trek:Generations villain), Sylar, Dominic Keating... am I missing any?

Is it pathetic that the only star trek person I actually listed the real name of was Dominic Keating?

I am looking forward to seeing Simon Pegg on Heroes... eventually. (Because of his star trek involvement, not because he's actually slated to be on heroes at some point)

Spoilers for Monday:

Spoiler for Hiden:
So we have Ms. Limelight, straight out of Who Wants to be a Superhero, season 2, joining the cast. I'm glad they've got a strong black woman on the cast now. I hate her brother/son/relative, and can't wait for her to ditch her family life. (Yeah, I know that's not going to happen)

No Hiro or Peter or Niki this week.

Sylar in Mexico... looks like he's biding his time with Maya and Alex until he gets his powers back. I can't imagine him waiting too long though.

Matt's father being the big bad guy... boring. Dude's got a shitty family life. I hate how Nathan went from being strong enough to lead new york to broken, separated alcoholic who can't even see his own kids. I realize the guy's gone through a lot, but I can't believe how shitty his wife was. His brother dies, and she leaves him. Really creepy scene at the end.

Clairebear with flying boy is the most annoying storyline this season. Cheese-tastic flying in front of the hollywood sign.

All in all, a very uneventful and rather boring filler episode. (still good quality television, just Heroes has been better)

Next week: Kristen Bell joins the cast. Who is she? What will be her powers? Who will she be aligned with? Nothing is as it seems. Pictures of all your favorite heroes who will be taking a back seat to the Kristen Bell show. How many cliches can we stuff into a 30 second preview?

I love heroes, but I'm starting to become tired of the show's formatting. I want more episodes like S1's Company Man, focusing on a few heroes and revealing a lot, rather than the bite sized stories.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2007, 12:58:23 PM »

I thought it was the best episode of the season so far.  Nothing groundbreaking but the execution was much better than last week's.  I liked the Parkerman-Dad reveal.  Not what I expected.  I'm pretty sure the person in that picture is action Stuart Wilson who usually does a good job playing villains. 

I even liked the Hollywood sign scene- mainly because I thought it was filmed well.  I'm alright with their relationship for now mainly because he is sending off enough creepy vibes that I hope it's intentional and that he won't be just a boring nice guy crush for Claire. 

The Nathan-wife separation I buy.  Yeah, he's been through a lot but he also cheated on his wheelchair bound wife and had a child she didn't know about (though I can't recall if they ever established whether he and his wife were together when he fathered Claire).  Also, to refer back to the discussion of Parkman's home lilfe from earlier in the thread, looks like the child wasn't his. 

Basically, I thought last night was how I want Heroes filler episodes to be. 
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2007, 01:58:05 PM »

All in all, a very uneventful and rather boring filler episode. (still good quality television, just Heroes has been better)

+1 for this comment by Dragonfyre.  Boring Heroes is better than 90% of the stuff on TV

I love heroes, but I'm starting to become tired of the show's formatting. I want more episodes like S1's Company Man, focusing on a few heroes and revealing a lot, rather than the bite sized stories

+100 Again I am loving the show, but having ten different story lines is killing the show.  FYI, I think they are trying to go bigger and better with more heores, but I think having so many plotlines is killing the show

Also, give Hiro and Ando thier own spin off Heroes show.  The kid deserves it  thumbsup

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2007, 06:22:53 PM »

I didn't care much for last night's ep.  It feels like there's too many story threads going on and too much filler.  At least next week we've got
Spoiler for Hiden:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2007, 12:03:58 PM »

Tonight: Fight or Flight

Miss Bell vs. Mr. Petrelli

..or at least, that's how it's being billed.

Nathan also is supposed to be prominent in this episode.

I'm hoping tonight delivers.

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2007, 02:01:19 PM »

I enjoyed the Fight or Flight episode.

Parkman's Dad = interesting character, not to mention his power is cool.  Now Parkman has to live so he can develop his further like Pops.

No Claire-bear and her flying friend - Yippie!

Micah's cousin - meh.  I think the power, storyline, and actress are all average at best.

No Mia/Alejandro/Sylar = disappointing.  I like that the storyline is finally going somewhere with them. 

Ando and Hiro = Always entertaining.  With Hiro's power, even the situation he and his friends are in shouldn't be too big a deal.

Peter and Kristin Bell = I see fun times ahead here.  So this is my question:  Does Peter already have her power, or is what he's been doing more of a twist on Ted's?

LD

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2007, 02:03:40 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 23, 2007, 02:01:19 PM

Micah's cousin - meh.  I think the power, storyline, and actress are all average at best.

She's cute.

Quote from: Lockdown on October 23, 2007, 02:01:19 PM

Peter and Kristin Bell = I see fun times ahead here.  So this is my question:  Does Peter already have her power, or is what he's been doing more of a twist on Ted's?

He has her power, they've obviously met before.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »

Who is "Daddy"?

I hope he can still absorb powers rather than being "full".

Maybe he has inventory slots, and since he got the subscription based hellgate, he has more inventory slots and use his brother as a mule.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2007, 02:20:38 PM »

Also a quick note: I'm surprised that he doesn't just "figure things out" given that he's been around sylar.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2007, 02:26:10 PM »

That's an interesting thought.  Here's the way I've always viewed it, and I'm interested if this is correct or not:

Sylar - Must "open people up" to examine them in order to figure out how their power works.  Then he just kind of works it into his ever-growing skillset.  Is always aware that he just aquired something new, as it is more of an active thing.

Peter - Sort of "absorbs" other people's powers by being in close proximity to them.  No concentration needed.  He is not always aware he has just aquired something new, as his skill is more of a passive thing.

Is that about right?

LD

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2007, 03:05:40 PM »

Yes.

But Sylar does his thing because he's twisted; he could have been a CT scan operator and figured things out too.. slywink. He just likes keepin' it real.

Micah's cousin is cute, and is likely not going anywhere anytime soon.

WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2007, 03:14:58 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 23, 2007, 02:19:50 PM

Who is "Daddy"?

I hope he can still absorb powers rather than being "full".

Maybe he has inventory slots, and since he got the subscription based hellgate, he has more inventory slots and use his brother as a mule.
I think Bob is Daddy.  It makes sense, given the parent/child connections of most of the heroes.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2007, 05:26:31 PM »

A better episode last night over previous weeks.  It started out ho-hum, but improved as it went along.   I didn't care for the Micah/cousin storyline (boring) and the 5 minutes of Hiro felt like filler, but everything else was pretty good.  Parkman's story was interesting and I'm glad Peter finally opened that stupid box.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2007, 06:53:37 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 23, 2007, 02:26:10 PM

That's an interesting thought.  Here's the way I've always viewed it, and I'm interested if this is correct or not:

Sylar - Must "open people up" to examine them in order to figure out how their power works.  Then he just kind of works it into his ever-growing skillset.  Is always aware that he just aquired something new, as it is more of an active thing.

Peter - Sort of "absorbs" other people's powers by being in close proximity to them.  No concentration needed.  He is not always aware he has just aquired something new, as his skill is more of a passive thing.

Is that about right?

Peter is almost an empath. He was a nurse and 'feels' for people. His ability to leech power is probably derived from that. Sylar was a clockmaker. He needs to 'see' how things work to understand them.

I actually like Copycat's power. I think it opens up alot of creative options. Of course jump rope wasn't one of them  Roll Eyes
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2007, 07:07:48 PM »

Although, I wouldn't put it past these writers to somehow work jumping rope into being important somehow.  They were pretty creative with the 6-1-9 afterall.   icon_wink

LD

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2007, 04:26:39 PM »

wow, NBC HD seems to enjoy screwing up on Monday nights during Heroes.  2 weeks in a row I've recorded it and had the screen go crazy.  I thought it might be the DVR but everything else records just fine.  are they still showing the episodes on their web site or is it Netflix only?

Because I can,
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2007, 06:26:13 PM »

Last night's episode was OK.  Claire's storyline is still terrible.  Do we really care if she makes it on the cheerleading squad while getting tips from flying boy?  Arggh...boring with Micah's cousin close behind.

On the bright side, I thought the rest of the stories seem to be advancing, albeit slowly.  It's nice to see the meta-arc showing it's face, so hopefully there are good weeks ahead.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2007, 08:49:33 PM »

Last night's episode rocked the house...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Post-Apocalyptic New York AGAIN? They're really enjoying this whole post-apocalyptic route... If it really were the virus that the company is making, why have an 'evacuation order'?

Noah Bennett in Russia - Loooove it. Didn't get a good enough look at the paintings to figure out what happened in the others but still love it.

Claire with Flying Boy and the Cheerleading Squad - Meh. Whomever does claire's makeup deserves to be fired. It's dreadful. Too much eyeliner. Everytime they do a closeup I die a little inside. Wouldn't there have been blood on the stairs from where Claire had fallen? She's left behind blood before, I think.

Hiro in Japan - Interesting development with Kensei turning on him. Kind of expected it.

Suresh v The Company - Niki working for the company now is pretty interesting. I wonder what the company plans for Suresh.

Sylar and Maya - I hate Sylar not having his powers. I hope he gets them back.

I really enjoyed this week's episode, although the recap doesn't show it. Busy day.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2007, 09:47:10 PM »

Well, here's my take...

I understand that Claire's story is based around what is important to 16 year olds - which let's face it,  is just barely above 'meaningless' most of the time.  But does it have to be so lame?  Good Lord.

Micah and his cousin - Wake me up when something happens.  Switching over to Monday Night Football during these clips is becoming my habit.

Parkman/Nathan/Molly - There is some promise there.  It will probably depend on how they handle Parkman's dad and his powers.

Hiro/Kensei/Cute Asian - If they have Whitebeard turn out to be someone cool and tie it back into present-day, I think this will turn out really good.  The latest development certainly spiced this storyline up a bit.

The Company/Suresh/Bob/HRG/Haitian/Niki - Lots of possibilities here.  But if they want to move things along just a bit quicker that would be ok with me.  I think poor Niki-Jessica is cursed forever with a split personality.  Makes things fun though.  HRG is an anti-hero?  I still don't get his deal exactly.

Mya/Alejandro/Sylar - The more evil they make Sylar, the better off we all are in my opinion.  We need a really, really hated bad guy.  He certainly could be it if the writers let him.  Alejandro kind of got jipped in the powers department though... I feel bad for him.

Peter and his women - My favorite storyline by far, which is getting way too little attention in my mind.  Probably why I'm so cranky about the show right now.

I think someone above mentioned that there are too many storylines, and too little time to properly cover them all.  I can't say I disagree with that one bit.

LD

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: