http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 06:53:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Food] Favorite cheese?  (Read 1867 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:42:46 PM »

After listening to a great broadcast about alpine cheese on NPR (publish radio here), I wanted to try some.

In fact, I've been a fan of cheese for a while now, but so far haven't gotten into the whole cheese wheels, bread, and wine thing.  Until now.  I picked up some imported cheese at trader joes.  I forget what kind, but it's an alpine cheese, very strong this one.  But goes great with bread and wine from what I've read.

To replace the wine, I instead went with some Virgil's Root Beer.  It's a really, really good micro brewed root beer, best I've tasted and miles ahead of bulk brands.  Its flavor, I'd have to say, is like a fine wine of the root beer varieties, sweet but also subtle and pleasing tastes mixed in after the initial burst of sweetness.  So it works very well with cheese despite being a sweet soda.

So I've been snacking on a slice of this cheese, some toasted bread, and great root beer and it's absolutely delicious.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has a fondness for cheese and what types?

I enjoy both strong and subtle cheeses.  For instance I love swiss and asiago, but also enjoy brie.  I'm not a fan of blue cheese of any kind though, only for the flavor, I don't mind stinky cheeses so long as they taste good.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:52:27 PM »

I love pepperjack.  Grilled cheese sandwiches, burgers, any kind of non-fish cold cut sandwich (except Pastrami and Corned Beef).  I cut it up in chunks and stir it in with my chili.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 11:52:52 PM »

We dont have any fancy cheese shops around these parts so my favorite is Sargento's Sharp Cheddar . Goes great in plain toasted bread. Toast one side then flip it over, stick a slice of cheese on, and toast till the cheese bubbles.

As for Virgils root beer I LOVE that stuff. The best ones I had were in old style bottles with the ceramic/rubber cap that was connected to the bottle by wire and you could reseal it. Years ago Virgil's had a root beer brewing kit you could order from them and use those bottles you'd collected to brew it in. I saw online a couple review sites that panned Virgils root beer but I love it. Screw them smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:05:17 AM »

I am boring...I like swiss cheese a lot.

unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 12:15:04 AM »

I really like a lot of cheeses.  Really sharp cheddar is nice, buffala mozzarella is great (so long as there is a local place which makes it- you want it fresh).  Blu cheese is also great.

Lately I've been eating a lot of cheese with crackers.  I've also tried out some brie, and while I really like it... I can't enjoy really bad smelling cheese.  About two months ago I got a really great tasting soft Italian cheese... but when I got it home, it stunk my whole apartment up!  The place smelled like old gym socks for about a week.  I need to find a place which sells a low-fat brie, I think they tend to be less smelly.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 12:30:09 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 04, 2007, 12:15:04 AM

The place smelled like old gym socks for about a week.

so now it's back to the regular dead raccoon smell?  Tongue  There's a Italian pseudo fast food place at work that uses slices of real Buffalo Mozzarella.  That stuff is great!

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 12:36:11 AM »

Pretty much any type of goat cheese.  Great with salad.

gellar
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 01:21:04 AM »

I hated cheese as a kid. I could eat it if it was on something already, like a burger, but cheese by itself icked me out. My wife has gotten me eating all kinds of cheese these days and I have to say I'm really like most kinds. I still shy away from blue cheese but have found Cotswald and Monterey Jack to be quite tasty.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 01:31:06 AM »

Love cheese, although the good stuff is hard to get around here. I love English sharp cheddars especially. I will occasionally order some off of iGourmet.com. There is one they have that has a mold going through it that is amazing. Localing I can get a Canadian cheese, Black Diamond Cheddar which is great, but not cheap either.

Sage Derby is another favorite.

Oh and you can never go wrong with some real Parmigiano-Reggiano, salami and bread.

Unfortunately you can't get real good cheese in the US do to strict laws on pasteurization, so we miss out on a lot.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:51:56 AM »

Buffalo mozzarella thrown into a warm dish with some feshly baked cherry tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil and crushed black pepper.

It's 98.7% bliss.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 02:34:09 AM »

I dont think there is a cheese that I dont like.  I love them all!!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 02:43:26 AM »

I was just at the Tillamook cheese factory and I sampled a few biggrin

I'm not a big fan of cheese, but I was very surprised with how good this was:

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 03:08:07 AM »

We enjoy all cheeses in our house, but I would recommend going to a more uppy grocer in your town, maybe a Harris Teeter or Fresh Market and see if they have any samples.

I can recommend,

almost any and all Goat Cheeses
Feta
Gorganzola, sprinkled on beef tenderloin, so freaking tasty
Havarti
Cabot's Extra Sharp White Cheddar <- really sharp cheddar, in a package with plaid on it, definitely good with real Bear.
Meunster is excellent for "samaches"
Smoked Gouda with fruit and crackers

I could literally go on forever, definitely recommend the uppy grocery store stake out, check out wine shops too, great cheeses are out there for your tastebuds to experience.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 03:15:18 AM »

Brie
Smoked Gouda
Unpastuerized goat cheese
Kraft American Singles  ninja
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 04, 2007, 03:15:18 AM

At least you didn't say Velveeta?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on September 04, 2007, 02:11:30 PM

what's wrong with Velveeta?  They're Mac and Cheese is far superior to the Orange Dust Cloud O' Doom Kraft Mac and Cheese.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »

I love just about any cheese, but if I had to pick some top favorites:

Brie.  I love brie.  Also pretty much any other similar soft cheese.  There's this brie/gorgonzola sort of blend that I had the other day that was just fantastic.
Goat cheese is wonderful in just about any form.  There's this tapas place in Boston that does this delicious baked goat cheese dish, mmm...
Swiss Lorraine is excellent and a favorite of mine for sandwiches.
Pepperjack is my favorite for burgers.

You really can't go wrong, though.  I'm not sure if I've ever met a cheese I didn't like.

By the way there's this restaurant chain in California called Max's Opera Cafe.  They've got this "ultimate grilled cheese" sandwich that has brie, havarti, and muenster melting everywhere, as well as bacon and tomato.  It must be about 2000 calories, but oh man is it delicious.
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 06:14:12 PM »

Wow, how did I miss muenster?  That's a great cheese.

Try making quesadillas with muenster.  When the cheese has been melted, it tastes even more fantastic.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 06:16:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 04, 2007, 02:31:51 PM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on September 04, 2007, 02:11:30 PM

what's wrong with Velveeta?  They're Mac and Cheese is far superior to the Orange Dust Cloud O' Doom Kraft Mac and Cheese.

This coming from the guy that likes to have Alex Pat his Bill...

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 09:51:47 PM »

OMG!  How cruel this thread is.

In an attempt to eat healthier and cut down on my cholesterlol, I've given up cheese for the month of September.

Oh, I am fortune's fool!!!!!!!  crybaby
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 11:46:20 PM »

i'm a fan of just about any kind of cheese, but i'll point out one i really like that not everyone knows...

Halloumi - The Cheese That Grills

it's a cheese made mostly from goat and sheep's milk that has the interesting property of not melting on the grill or in a skillet.  you can brown Halloumi on the grill while you cook other foods and it won't melt.  i like cutting up a block of Halloumi and including it on shish-kebobs on the grill...goes great with grilled steak, chicken, peppers, onions, or just about anything else.  the texture is a little different (kind of rubbery), but it tastes great icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 01:48:56 AM »

pepper jack, and colby. usually whatever is on sale.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 02:36:20 AM »

For a sandwich I like Havarti.

Hamburgers I like Pepper Jack, Swiss, or American paranoid.

Just a cheese and cracker it would have to be Extra Sharp Chedder (sharper the better).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 04:33:40 AM »

ATB, it's all about portions man.  You just have to control how much you eat.  I've actually lost weight and gained muscle by exercising and controlling portions, all the while still eating meals out like burgers (no fries).  And yes, I do have cheese in my meals.

Argh, now my own topic is making me want to go out and spend even more for a nice slice of Brie.  Or visit my local Vie De France restaurant for onion soup with their swiss/asiago cheese covering it, and either a croque monsiuer or their french cheese steak (basically a cheese steak make with brie on a baguette, it's American, but tastes great nonetheless).

Say, do you guys have particular brands or favorite sub-types?  I know there's all sorts of sub-types of cheese, along with particular brands with their own flavors.  What cheese based dishes or items to eat with it do you like?  I found my trader joes sesme crackers overpowering the taste of my cheese, and that's saying something considering the cheese I got is really strong, so I switched to some english muffins that were on hand.  I plan to buy some good bread next time I go out.

That cheese that can be grilled sounds really good, gotta try that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 04:37:18 AM by Turtle » Logged
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 06:12:55 AM »

The crackers are really important, too.  I hate getting a cracker that overpowers the taste/texture of the cheese.

Baguettes are surprisingly good for cheese eating, since they have a nice neutral flavor.  A lot of the regular boxed crackers at the store kind of stink for eating good cheese, since they are either too strong tasting or don't have (IMO) a good texture for cheese eating.  Saltines are ok, if there's really nothing else, but they bring a lot of blandness into the mix.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 05, 2007, 04:33:40 AM

ATB, it's all about portions man.  You just have to control how much you eat. 

For the common man yes. For ATB whose willpower ebbs and flows like the tide, it's all or nothing.

I'm either WAY out of shape or WAY in shape. There's no in between...And 5 days in, Turtle, no going back on the Cheese ban.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 02:52:39 PM »

this thread is inspiring me to check out the large cheese selection at the local Sunflower.....

Because I can,
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 05:05:10 PM »

Lately, cheese has been making me poop. alot  icon_cry I hate being over 30

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 04:48:38 AM »

Quote from: juniordan on September 05, 2007, 05:05:10 PM

Lately, cheese has been making me poop. alot  icon_cry I hate being over 30

but cheese is the shiznit, no?

Because I can,
Kratz
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 07:22:46 PM »

Cheese generally blocks things up... so that's weird.

I really love Tillamook Sharp Cheddar.  And melty swiss on a ham sammich is great...  I pretty much like most cheese.

Velveeta and American are not cheese.  They sully the name of cheese.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 09:06:25 PM »

I just picked up a Goat Gouda from Whole Foods that is pretty outstanding.  I love making scrambled eggs with the stuff.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 09:33:59 PM »

Hmmm, type and subtypes of cheese.  I like smoked gouda over gouda, creamed Havarti over Havarti (almost melts in your mouth, great in a roast beef panini), mild cheddar over sharp, and not a big Swiss fan.  I like Brie and Muenster, most Mozzarella, Feta, and Asiago.  I, too, am not a fan of bleu cheese.  There are other cheeses that I've tasted, but am on the fence about.  Sage Derby is good, unless I'm not in the mood for it.  I've also tried an Irish dill cheese that was heavenly the first time I had it...and when I had it again, I almost couldn't stand it.  I think it was the other cheeses I had been tasting throwing it off.  Love the pepperjack, had one made with jalapenoes, it was awesome.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: