http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:13:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [FILM] Restrepo  (Read 815 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »

Opening near me this week (and having been out since July 2nd) is Restrepo, a documentary done by Sebastian Junger (The Perfect Storm) and Tim Hetherington where they documented a year in the Korangal valley with Second Platoon, B Company, 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment (airborne) of the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team.  It received the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance this year. 

I plan on attending it tomorrow at the Angelika theater in Dallas, as SGTS. Jay Liske and Brandon Young will be doing a Q&A session after two of the showings. 

There's not much more I can say about it now except watch the trailer.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »

the 1 on 1 interviews there remind me a lot of Band of Brothers,looks like thats gonna be some must see stuff...hopefully it will be on the Nat Geo channel in time,i would be surprised if we got it at the cinema here

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:03:33 AM »

Watched it this evening.  It was a really interesting look at the lives of the men, from the terror of battle, the boredom, the effects of losing a friend, and the struggle to get through the days and the time afterwards.  I highly recommend it.  It's not always easy to watch, but definitely worth the effort.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »

I just watched this over netflix streaming the other night.  It's an incredible documentary.  What a shitty mission.  It's hard for me to believe that we just sat a reinforced platoon on top of hill for 15 months, surrounded by taliban on all sides, to be shot at everyday (and night).  I kept waiting for the justification for doing this, and it didn't come until 20 minutes or so into the documentary.  They were providing security for a road that was going to be improved.  Except, the road was never improved (it was just a dirt road).  They did manage to establish another OP on another hill, which seemed to help somewhat, but nothing really changed.

It was hard to watch soldiers trying to be diplomats and peace negotiators.  That's part of the reason why I think it was a shitty mission.  They were warriors trying to negotiate with people that didn't want them there in the first place.  I even heard a few Vietnam era comments from the soldiers, joking about "winning hearts and minds."  And when they did finally decide to conduct a movement to contact, it just got really messy, really fast.  Many of the soldiers mentioned the same thing while on the operation, "we're just waiting to get hit", or "they'll be coming for us soon".  That's operating in an environment where the enemy has all the initiative.  That's another reason why I think it was a shitty mission.

With all that said, I think they did the best they could given the situation and mission.  I hope they received good care when they returned, because the mental trauma of essentially being in a fishbowl on top of hill, attacked everyday for 15 months, and at the mercy of the enemy's will to attack would have to be severe.  Other units have seen more intense combat with greater losses, but these soldiers lived through a uniquely hellish experience.  The colonel's hearts and mind speech after a particularly bloody encounter made me cringe.  I felt like I was watching a Vietnam era movie from the 80s.  I couldn't believe it was real.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »

I've read a couple of Junger's books and I've had this in my queue for a bit on Netflix...I need to get around to watching it.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »

I recommend reading the book (WAR), then watching this film, which is fantastic.

It's all the better, though, when you know the backstories from the book.  For example, in the film they show the meeting with the Afghani whose cow was killed after running into the barbed wire.  The actual story in the book, though, is a riot and explains the looks the soldiers exchange when talking to the guy.

I agree, what a shitty mission.  All the more shitty since the U.S. has since abandoned all of the bases, positions and territory that those guys fought for.  Restrepo's loss was for less than nothing. Frustrating.

McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »

This documentary f'd me up good. I don't regret watching it. It's real. It's sad. It's scary.
I want to watch it again, but sheesh. I don't know if I can take it. It's sad to see such a cluster-f.
God damn those are some tough s.o.b.s. out there.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »

It was easy to see from the interviews that these guys were doing their best to barely hold it together.  It was sad for me to hear how desperately the captain was hanging on to the notion that their construction of OP Restrepo made a huge difference.  I wonder what he thinks now, several years removed.  It was incredibly frustrating for me to watch.  I'm glad their story was told, because I just wouldn't be able to believe it otherwise.

I wonder how those guys are doing today...how many got out, what they're doing, did any stay in?   

I'll check out the book, thanks for the recommendation.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 06:39:05 PM »

I received Restrepo on DVD as a Christmas present. I've only watched part of it.

Sadly, if ya'll hadn't heard, co-director Tim Hetherington (Oscar nominated along with better known Sebastian Junger for Restrepo) was killed, apparently some time Tuesday, covering the goings-on in Libya, apparently in an RPG attack.  tear

Tim Hetherington, co-director of 'Restrepo,' killed in Libya

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/04/20/libya.journalists/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1
Tim Hetherington, the esteemed photojournalist and an Oscar nominee for a gritty and harrowing documentary about the Afghan war, has been killed in the war-torn Libyan city of Misrata, according to the president of the agency that represented him.

Another journalist was seriously wounded but his or her identity was not disclosed. Panos Pictures, which employed Hetherington, confirmed that the photographer's family had been notified.

"We're still trying to figure out front lines or house (referring to where he was when killed)," said CSPR agency president Cathy Saypol. "The only thing we know is that he was hit by an RPG with the other guys."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:42:00 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 06:43:49 PM »

icon_cry

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »

Terrible news. It's on my Netflix queue. In honor of the co-director's passing, I think I'll bump it up and watch it very soon.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 08:06:53 PM »

Damn

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 02:30:59 AM »

Sebastian Junger (Restrep co-director) was interviewed by CNN's Anderson Cooper about his memories of Hetherington:
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/23/video-co-director-remembers-hetherington/?iref=allsearch
*This includes a lot of stills from Restrepo, fwiw, including some of Hetherington himself doing filming, and some brief CNN interviews with him about his work.

*Had some trouble with the link going to the wrong video. This one from Cooper's blog should work more easily (in theory).

He apparently had an amazingly keen visual mind as far as sensing where a great photo opp was going to come up and then being in the best position for it. Although you can tell from the CNN interview snippet he seemed aware sometimes that he'd be so focused on getting the best photo shot, that he wouldn't be paying attention to how close to the combat he was.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:42:42 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Trink
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »

I had started to watch Restrepo and got bored with it.  I saw the news a couple weeks ago about his death and suddenly felt the urge to go back and watch but i have not.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »

RISC Training

Tim’s wound did not have to be fatal, but it killed him nevertheless. His femoral artery had been cut, and although that is an extremely serious injury, there are things that can be done to prolong life. Unfortunately, none of the journalists or rebels around him knew what to do, and Tim bled out and died in the back of a pickup truck on the way to the Misrata hospital. Tim is not the first friend I have lost in combat, but his death was certainly the most devastating. It has prompted me to start a medical training program for freelancer journalists so that the next tragedy can be averted. Our course is modeled after informal training that Tim and I received in Afghanistan and is taught by experienced medics, many with extensive combat experience.

The course lasts three days and covers basic procedures for saving someone’s life on the battlefield: clearing air passageways, stopping or slowing bleeding from wounds, stopping air leakage into the chest cavity from a chest wound and transporting the injured person to a medical facility.

Each graduate receives a combat medical kit with our RISC logo on the side and is expected to keep it on their person at all times while in a war zone. Our courses are held once a year in New York, London and Beirut and all costs are born by charitable donations. Students only pay their own travel and food expenses.

It is my hope that soon, first aid training and preparedness will be the industry norm, like having a flak jacket and helmet. It is only a matter of time until another journalist receives a wound like Tim’s, and I want to do everything I can to spare others what his friends and family endured last April. If you are a working journalist who would like more information on our next training session, please register on this website and we will be in touch with you. And if you wish to make a charitable contribution, please click on our “donate now” button.

Thank You.

Sebastian Junger

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: