http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 12:45:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [film] Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol  (Read 1656 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2010, 06:54:12 AM »

coming Memorial Day 2011.  JJ Abrams is on board as a producer, and is being written by a couple of writers from Alias and Life on Mars.  I liked the third MI movie better than the second, so hopefully they'll have a decent outing even without Abrams directing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:21:58 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:23:17 AM »

I haven't even seen the third movie and I like it better than the second. That one was horrible compared to the first one.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 01:37:05 PM »

The third movie was really good.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »

i have quite liked all 3....number 2 on DVD had the extra feature the MTV Mission improbable spoof with Ben Stiller,and that's worth the DVD purchase on its own...or the free Youtube video disgust

(here it is,However English with Italian Subtitles.couldn't find just English)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgbdx4JjTE0&feature=related

so i take it Paramount and Tom Cruise have made friends again now?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:12:17 AM »

Tom Cruis has announced the full title will be Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol.

they should have stuck with Mission Impossible 4.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:22:08 AM »

French trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIuO55Aj7oo

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:21 AM »

Sega should get the movie license, rebrand Alpha Protocol to Ghost Protocol, change the main character to look like Tom Cruise.  Instant movie tie in sales. Tongue
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:58:01 PM »

Here's hoping that they manage to come up with a plot where the bad guy isn't yet another MI agent gone rogue. Seriously, based on the last three movies they'd be best off dissolving the agency to prevent future incidents.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:44 AM »

English trailer at EW:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/28/mission-impossible-ghost-protocol-trailer-tom-cruise/

I had no idea that Brad Bird (Pixar's The Incredibles) was directing, his first live action movie. While it looks amazing, the trailer left me thinking Tom Cruise is passe and Jeremy Runner should be the star.  icon_cool But we'll have to wait for The Avengers next summer for that...

Also, I thought Michelle Monaghan was the most appealing part of MI:3. I liked her enough and her chemistry with Cruise to, well, root for them. His affection for her made him seem like more of an actual human being and less of an MI cardboard movie prop. She's absent from this movie, afik, which I find disappointing.

The potboiler plot, from what I can tell, involves some attack on the Kremlin that may be pinned on the MI team so they're told they have to escape and never be found, or else be branded terrorists. Ya know, something straightforward and not convoluted.  Roll Eyes icon_smile
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:26:34 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »

Yeah, I was also surprised to find out Brad Bird was directing this.  Talk about coming out of left field...

However, I will probably see this now that I know he's the man behind it all.  Bird made Iron Giant and The Incredibles...those two alone would put me in a seat even if it were a live action Cabbage Patch Doll movie. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »

Bit of news -- Paramount bumped the release date a few days from Friday, Dec. 16 to Wednesday, Dec. 21:
http://collider.com/mission-impossible-4-one-shot-release-date/106040/comment-page-1/#comment-164864
(there's a typo in the first paragraph, but they seem to be saying from Dec. 16 to 21st and not the other way around)

I really liked MI 3 (even bought it on DVD) because JJ Abrams tried so hard to humanize his character and give him a heart, and not just have him be a stonefaced, rappelling stunt jumper. Brad Bird's animated films always have tremendous heart, so I'd like to think he'll bring that here too, even if the trailer doesn't exactly suggest that.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 01:04:52 AM »

latest trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxrndgt7gIY

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 01:12:55 AM »

I liked what Abrams did with MI3 and found it to be my favorite of the series.  While Ghost Protocol looks like it's in a similar vein, I'm concerned with Brad Bird being the director.  I would have been in on day one if it were Abrams, but Bird predominantly does animated features.   saywhat  Not sure how he'll do with an action film.  Guess we'll see.  At least Abrams is on as producer, so he's at least somewhat involved.  And Renner has become one of my new favorite actors.  I could watch him in anything.  He won me over in The Hurt Locker and I've loved his performances I've seen ever since.  List me as "cautiously interested."

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »

There was a featurette recently:
New 'Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol' featurette: They let Tom Cruise do what!?
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/10/29/new-mission-impossible-ghost-protocol-featurette-they-let-tom-cruise-do-what/
*It's pretty clear Tom isn't afraid of heights, but I can only imagine what his insurance companies thought of letting him do this.  paranoid

EW's print edition has a really in-depth interview with Jeremy Renner, including a little bit on MI4 (I'll share the link here if/when they post that online). Apparently, Renner was going to audition with JJ Abrams for the role of the dad in Super 8 (which went to Kyle Chandler). Renner was going to tell Abrams he didn't see himself in the part, and Abrams asked him if he'd be interested in a new role in MI4 instead.

According to the article, Renner has signed up for 3 MI movies total, which he emphasizes is with the proviso Cruise wants to continue doing them -- he's not signed up to be Cruise's successor. Renner has signed up to sort-of (won't play the same name character) succeed his pal Matt Damon in the Bourne series.

Renner's success has come really late in his career (he was 38 at the time of The Hurt Locker, I believe), after toiling for years in obscurity and for a few years in poverty, so I can't really blame him for grabbing every high profile offer sent his way (The Avengers, MI and Bourne). I don't think he'll have time for a Hawkeye spin-off.  icon_smile

I liked MI:3 too in that, at least in places, it made Cruise's character vulnerable enough I could root for him. It pushed the character right to the edge of "maybe he won't get out of this and they're ending the series right here." But it underperformed domestically at the b.o., though it did well internationally like most Cruise films do (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mi3.htm).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:22:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 08:35:51 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on November 16, 2011, 01:12:55 AM

I liked what Abrams did with MI3 and found it to be my favorite of the series.  While Ghost Protocol looks like it's in a similar vein, I'm concerned with Brad Bird being the director.  I would have been in on day one if it were Abrams, but Bird predominantly does animated features.   saywhat  Not sure how he'll do with an action film.  Guess we'll see.  At least Abrams is on as producer, so he's at least somewhat involved.  And Renner has become one of my new favorite actors.  I could watch him in anything.  He won me over in The Hurt Locker and I've loved his performances I've seen ever since.  List me as "cautiously interested."

Brad Bird is solid gold as far as I'm concerned. Being a AAA director of animation definitely makes him qualified to direct, period. It is far more difficult to direct a good animated film than a live-action film.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »

Movie Hole has a recap of a 20 minute IMAX preview:
http://www.moviehole.net/201148407-clint-previews-20-minutes-of-footage-from-mission-impossible-ghost-protocol
*I think this is stuff we've seen in trailers, it's just it's a full 20 minutes rather than snippets.

It's supposed to premiere at a festival over in Dubai Dec. 7, so you may see some early reviews of the full movie filter out after that event.

I'm a little disappointed they appear to have thrown away Michelle Monaghan's girlfriend character from MI3, but perhaps she just makes a cameo appearance or two.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:55:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 02:06:13 AM »

has anybody seen this yet?,i ask because its getting some good reviews,some saying its the best MI yet

and also 93% on Rotten Tomatoes

also,they are already talking about Mission Impossible 5
http://screenrant.com/mission-impossible-5-kofi-144888/

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 03:08:46 AM »

I saw this over the Christmas holiday with my family and thought it was really good.  Obviously it is an action movie and not an Academy Award winner, but it had some really amazing stunts and was overall better than I expected.  Simon Pegg also helped lend a good air of humor to parts of it, as he usually does.  Lots of fun and highly recommended. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 05:40:55 AM »

My biggest beef is that you shouldn't pay attention to the opening sequence, as it tips away most of the set pieces in the film. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 09, 2012, 05:40:55 AM

My biggest beef is that you shouldn't pay attention to the opening sequence, as it tips away most of the set pieces in the film. 

Agreed.  I had forgotten about that but yeah, it is basically a bunch of spoiler clips and I'm not sure why it was there.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »

I guess an homage to the TV show (which is something the first Mission: Impossible movie did as well) is not kosher?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »

I never watched the show.  I suppose if that's the norm, it's fine.  And you forget about half of it by the time it comes back around.  But I think the impact of it is a bit more pronounced with a film than it would be on a TV show.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »

I wanted to take my mom to see The Artist (silent movie getting much movie awards buzz), but she's stressing out about some family things and said she wanted me take her to a movie where she doesn't have to "think too much" (why she thinks a silent movie with music will require her to "think too much," don't even ask me  icon_razz).

So I said, well, maybe MI4 will fit the bill. Will let you all know later.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 04:25:21 PM »

It's actually pretty fun.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  Brad Bird will hopefully get some more live action jobs out of this.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »

We thoroughly enjoyed it. My mom professed to not understand most of the plot, but that's been pretty much how the series has been (fakes, double-crosses, rubber masks etc.) going back to Brian DePalma's original take in 1994. And I think even if one entirely sick of Tom Cruise (as many area), he's generally pretty appealing in this.

For my part, I maybe preferred the characters and the "personal revenge/vendetta" angles of the Abrams-directed MI:3, but I can see where this would have a more mass market appeal and simply more fun factor on the action.

As a fan of MI3, I quite enjoyed the
Spoiler for Hiden:
cameo by Michelle Monaghan at the very end as Ethan Hunt's wife. I hadn't heard of that particular spoiler, so it was a pleasant surprise to me. My mom of course didn't know what the heck that was all about.  icon_razz
While I'm sure the Hollywood temptation will be to plug Brad Bird into action franchises (a Star Trek sequel! a comic book movie! an etc. etc.), I hope he gets (maybe in a movie or two) to do something he has a personal interest in doing. Usually if you have a really monster hit or two, you at least get a window of opportunity as director or actor do do a "passion project" that the studios might've been previously hesitant to fund.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 05, 2012, 01:54:59 PM

While I'm sure the Hollywood temptation will be to plug Brad Bird into action franchises (a Star Trek sequel! a comic book movie! an etc. etc.), I hope he gets (maybe in a movie or two) to do something he has a personal interest in doing. Usually if you have a really monster hit or two, you at least get a window of opportunity as director or actor do do a "passion project" that the studios might've been previously hesitant to fund.

My preference would be an Incredibles sequel.   icon_biggrin

I was going to say Iron Giant as that's hands down my favorite Bird film, but I don't think it should have a sequel.  It's perfect the way it is.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »

Saw this last night and it was ok.  Cheesy, but fun.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 05, 2012, 04:04:51 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on February 05, 2012, 01:54:59 PM

My preference would be an Incredibles sequel.   icon_biggrin

I was going to say Iron Giant as that's hands down my favorite Bird film, but I don't think it should have a sequel.  It's perfect the way it is.
This CinemaBlend item is sort of a misnomer; he doesn't say "I won't do the next MI movie," he's just commenting that the series has had a different director each time out.

Brad Bird Confirms He Won't Helm The Next Mission Impossible
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Brad-Bird-Confirms-He-Won-t-Helm-Next-Mission-Impossible-30492.html

The thing is, I don't think Brian DePalma ever saw himself as an action movie director, and my recollection was he butted heads with Tom Cruise quite a bit on the original. To me, MI2 just had too much John Woo-isms for its own good.

In terms of emotional storytelling, I really like JJ Abram's take in MI:3, but I believe it made the least amount at the box office.  I tend to blame that more on "Tom Cruise fatigue" at the time more than any flaws with the movie. But it was the first time I actually liked Tom Cruise and the Ethan character in the films. And JJ had bigger fish to fry (Star Trek, Super 8 ) so clearly he wasn't going to helm another MI film.

While I'd love to see BB come back, he's just starting out in live-action, so it would probably make sense to try different genres and spread his wings, so to speak. I know from interviews he'd love to revisit The Incredibles, but they simply don't have a script at this point.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »

got this from Amazon last week and watched it for the first time today.  not bad but it felt like it ran overlong.  was kind of bummed Sawyer wasn't in it very long.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 05:33:45 AM »

I finally saw this tonight and really enjoyed it.  The story is pretty thin, but it's one heck of an action movie with some really great set pieces and solid performances all around. The other films in the series have been so varied that I really wasn't sure what to expect, but I think it's one of the best so far.  I'd say Brad Bird did a really great job for his first live action film icon_cool

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 09, 2012, 05:40:55 AM

I watched this on bluray and the video clips used in the main menu do the same thing.  Impressive shots from key events in the film should not be used in menus just because they look cool mad

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 09:35:19 AM »

Just watched this, both the wife and i thought it was total crap. Weak storyline, I don't expect total realism but some parts of it were just so stupid, the baddie is a scientist yet holds his own in a fight with a top notch Secret agent. I thought as soon as someone farts in Russia the USA would know let alone the main thing at the end that happened which no one seemed to know about.

Wish I could get them 2 hours of my life back.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: