http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:34:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Film] Liam Neeson in Non-Stop  (Read 419 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »

I'm catching an overpriced, early screening of Non-Stop tonight. About $14 for an 82-minute movie. I think I'll be paying about 17 cents a  minute. You better be worth it, Liam Neeson!  Bring your own!

Official Non-Stop site:
http://www.nonstopthefilm.com/

Reviews have been meh to OK to enthusiastic. Wanted to catch an early enough show to make up my own mind.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:39:50 PM »

I am really not a Liam Neeson fan in general, but I love his movies.  I think I've seen every one of his revenge-y movies and loved them.  As soon as I saw the preview for this I was totally excited to see it.  Unfortunately no one else I hang out with shares my enthusiasm lol.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys say about it.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 01:17:35 AM »

Taken, Grey, That one movie (The one where he has amnesia), Taken 2, I love them all. So I see no reason why I wouldn't like Non-Stop.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:08:56 AM »

Very much enjoyed it. Liam is in virtually every minute of the movie, and within the confines of a popcorn film I found it a much more wide ranging performance.

Rest assured, he still gets to kick ass and take names.  icon_smile

Is it often preposterous? Are most of the characters (except Liam's) about as deep as the bus passengers in Speed? Yes, yes, but if you love Liam you'll enjoy this. If you don't understand his appeal in his last few action films this may not win you over.  icon_smile

There's zero fat in the movie. Even if it gets ridiculous you won't be bored. icon_cool

I found the portrayal of texting quite clever and a way to incorporate it into the story without feeling like you're staring at smartphones the whole movie. I think it could even help my mom finally understand what texting IS. Speaking of which, dying RIM/Blackberry probably loves this movie....

Bad thing? Unbelievably, the theater sound crapped out banned for maybe 15 seconds during a key character's big speech. Might have to see it again just to hear that!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:13:24 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »

I goofed on the runtime - actually 106 minutes, not 82. I read that somewhere which left me looking at my watch at 9:35 pm, wondering, "Why isn't this over yet?"  saywhat
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:58:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:04:27 PM »

I liked Entertainment Weekly's review of this film for the line where they said something like, "Neeson is a modern day Rumpelstiltskin, spinning cheese into gold."  icon_biggrin
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »

Liam Neesons straight killed a robot boat!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »

Good hear it's enjoyable. I'll probably go check it out next Thursday for a matinee.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »

While I give the screenwriters zero credit for originality (if you mixed a 1970s Airport film with Taken and maybe portions of the Wesley Snipes actioner Passenger 57 and Harrison Ford as president actioner Air Force One, you might get something like Non-Stop - you can figure all that out from the trailer  icon_smile), imho they do deserve credit for playing with the audience's mind in terms of character stereotypes and prolonging the whodunit aspect as long as possible.

While most reviews aren't crazy about the whodunit resolution, I give them credit. I guessed wrong. To say anymore would spoil the fun. icon_smile

While a part of me thinks the movie deserves a prime summer spot, I assume the studio doesn't necessarily feel 61 year old Liam Neeson's a good bet against spring and summer FX-heavy blockbusters. Though honestly Liam himself is Non-Stop's best special effect, so to speak.  Bring your own!

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: