http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 02:28:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Film] Christopher Nolan - Interstellar  (Read 2169 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »

I couldn't find a thread for this through search.  Here's the first teaser, release one year from now.   drool drool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyc6RJEEe0U
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:18:46 PM »

Not sure why i am having so many problems with Youtube of late,so i was unable to watch that trailer

I have enjoyed all of Christopher Nolan films,so i am sure i will enjoy this,however i absolutely can not stand Matthew McConaughey,and will probably end up hating the film just because he is in it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »

could be fun.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »

Good teaser. It tells me almost nothing about the movie and leaves me wanting more.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on December 14, 2013, 10:41:38 PM

Good teaser. It tells me almost nothing about the movie and leaves me wanting more.

+1

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 02:49:19 AM »

They had me at Nolan.  He has been my favorite director since the first time I saw Memento.  He doesnt always get it right but hes willing to take chances and when he does get it right its usually fantastic.  Looking forward to this one!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 03:26:45 AM »

Interesting cast.  I dunno about Matthew McConaughey as the lead though.  I don't dislike him and I know he's supposedly been working hard at becoming a "serious actor" but he just doesn't inspire me.  Then again I'm not a Leo fan either but still enjoyed Inception.  Glad to see Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain in the list though!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »

Gotta love this from the Interstellar movie wiki:
In January 2013, Christopher Nolan entered negotiations with Paramount and Warner Bros. to direct Interstellar. Nolan intended to write a screenplay based on his own idea that he would merge with his brother's screenplay. By the following March, Nolan was confirmed to direct Interstellar, which would be produced under his label Syncopy and Lynda Obst Productions.Though Paramount and Warner Bros. are traditionally rival studios, Warner Bros., who released Nolan's Batman films and works with Nolan's Syncopy, sought a stake in Nolan's production of Interstellar for Paramount... In August 2013, sources reported that Legendary Pictures was in the process of finalizing an agreement with Warner Bros. to "finance 25 percent or more" of the film's production.

Wow, talk about someone (Nolan) writing their own ticket!  Very much looking forward to this and hope it lives up to all it's $ and promise.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 01:31:27 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 17, 2013, 12:12:15 AM

In January 2013, Christopher Nolan entered negotiations with Paramount and Warner Bros. to direct Interstellar. Nolan intended to write a screenplay based on his own idea that he would merge with his brother's screenplay. By the following March, Nolan was confirmed to direct Interstellar, which would be produced under his label Syncopy and Lynda Obst Productions.Though Paramount and Warner Bros. are traditionally rival studios, Warner Bros., who released Nolan's Batman films and works with Nolan's Syncopy, sought a stake in Nolan's production of Interstellar for Paramount... In August 2013, sources reported that Legendary Pictures was in the process of finalizing an agreement with Warner Bros. to "finance 25 percent or more" of the film's production.

Wow, talk about someone (Nolan) writing their own ticket!  Very much looking forward to this and hope it lives up to all it's $ and promise.

Until Nolan proves me wrong as far as Im concerned they can write him a blank check and tell him to go make a movie.  I have faith that he can deliver.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 17, 2013, 01:31:27 AM

Until Nolan proves me wrong as far as Im concerned they can write him a blank check and tell him to go make a movie.  I have faith that he can deliver.

Dark knight rises/rising whatever, was kind of half assed in my book. Too long, huge plot holes, uninspired actors, etc.

I kind of want to see if he can get a better editor who will can get a more coherent effort out of him.  He'll probably be more motivated on a personal project tho.

tapatalkin'

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 01:54:52 AM »

http://www.slashfilm.com/interstellar-teaser-poster/

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on December 15, 2013, 03:26:45 AM

Interesting cast.  I dunno about Matthew McConaughey as the lead though.  I don't dislike him and I know he's supposedly been working hard at becoming a "serious actor" but he just doesn't inspire me. 

After True Detective and Dallas Buyers Club I'm hoping he's won you over.  If not, he probably never will.  Personally I think he's become one of the most fearless actors out there right now.  Something I never would have thought possible even 5 years ago.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »

Ed TV was amazing too.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 05:26:15 PM »

Full Trailer.

IN!  Looks like a good hard sci-fi movie.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 05:38:42 PM »

IN! That looks fantastic.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 05:42:24 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 16, 2014, 05:38:42 PM

IN! That looks fantastic.

+1  Can't wait to see it.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »

Drool
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 07, 2014, 02:55:11 PM

Quote from: rittchard on December 15, 2013, 03:26:45 AM

Interesting cast.  I dunno about Matthew McConaughey as the lead though.  I don't dislike him and I know he's supposedly been working hard at becoming a "serious actor" but he just doesn't inspire me.  

After True Detective and Dallas Buyers Club I'm hoping he's won you over.  If not, he probably never will.  Personally I think he's become one of the most fearless actors out there right now.  Something I never would have thought possible even 5 years ago.
McConaughey's also very good in Mud, which is on Netflix. I finally caught it there.

From interviews, I think it's more that he decided to stop settling for working on movies with lazy scripts and directors with no particular vision. The fine "The Lincoln Lawyer" seemed to be a tipping point of sorts in a more interesting direction for him.

Now he wants to work on movies with intriguing, challenging scripts and directors who have a specific vision -- whether that vision's really box office friendly or not. And the more films (and TV work in Showtime's case) he does like that, the better the quality of the material offered to him or that he's alerted to.  It seems more a conscious effort to find better, more challenging material rather than proclaiming, "I'm a serious actor now, give me my Oscar, alright, alright, alright..."  icon_smile
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:28:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 07:51:53 PM »

I think McConaughey has become one of my favorite actors over the past few months, and that is surprising even to myself. Nolan was already my favorite director, so this is a no brainer for me.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 12:56:56 AM »

So basically looks like they'll run with the angle where GM crops cause some kind of massive crop failure.

I have a feeling the movie will head more in the direction of a faith based film masquerading as science fiction. I'm all for character stories, but after Contact and countless other films and media that went with the religious storytelling crutch, I can't look forward to any of them until word of mouth gets around.

I do also find it odd that they create and build interstellar drive, something that would require breakthroughs in all areas of science just to build a prototype, and they strap it to rocket technology.

But I can overlook all that for a good character story, just don't have them lecture me about faith in every scene.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:00:39 AM by Turtle » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 01:02:05 AM »

I just sure hope the Borg doesn't travel back in time to mess with McConaughy's first flight.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 02:07:17 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on May 16, 2014, 05:26:15 PM

Full Trailer.

IN!  Looks like a good hard sci-fi movie.

From the trailer it looks like the first half is a lot of family-oriented character stuff that leads to a good hard sf second half. I hope the "down on the farm" father-daughter stuff won't be as prominent as it looks.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 17, 2014, 12:56:56 AM

So basically looks like they'll run with the angle where GM crops cause some kind of massive crop failure.

I have a feeling the movie will head more in the direction of a faith based film masquerading as science fiction. I'm all for character stories, but after Contact and countless other films and media that went with the religious storytelling crutch, I can't look forward to any of them until word of mouth gets around.

I do also find it odd that they create and build interstellar drive, something that would require breakthroughs in all areas of science just to build a prototype, and they strap it to rocket technology.

But I can overlook all that for a good character story, just don't have them lecture me about faith in every scene.

I can't find the article right now but I recently read about a scientist who has found a way to make the warp drive feasible.  Not just possible, but feasible.  I guess we've known what to do, but it would take an engine the size of Saturn to make it happen.  Well, this scientist has figure out a way to get that same drive to work with an engine the size of a Datsun.  Something with pulsing or phasing, I don't know.  It was fascinating stuff, but it quickly went beyond me.  

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »

Was it this: http://www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-possible-interstellar-spaceflight.html

That article claims the warp drive would move effectively at 10 times the speed of light. Google tells me the next solar system is 15 light years away... am I right in saying that even going 10x the speed of light it would take a year and a half to get there?

My god space is BIG.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 17, 2014, 05:04:45 PM

Was it this: http://www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-possible-interstellar-spaceflight.html

That article claims the warp drive would move effectively at 10 times the speed of light. Google tells me the next solar system is 15 light years away... am I right in saying that even going 10x the speed of light it would take a year and a half to get there?

My god space is BIG.

It must have been, although that was from 2012, and I thought this was a recent article.  Still, it covers everything I remember reading.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »

My god space is BIG.

As a kid I used to lie awake at night and wonder how space could end and if it did, what was on the other side.  There's nothing bigger, I'd wager!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2014, 09:01:38 PM »

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 09:52:37 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 17, 2014, 06:48:10 PM

My god space is BIG.

As a kid I used to lie awake at night and wonder how space could end and if it did, what was on the other side.  There's nothing bigger, I'd wager!

Don't wager too much. Space is a property of our universe. If the multiverse hypothesis is right, our universe might be just one bubble. Nobody's likely to prove any of those scenarios anytime soon, so your money's safe for now.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 03:37:34 AM »

See, what people keep forgetting is that if you make the breakthrough to get to the point where we can create localized space distortion fields, you've essentially changed everyday life within a decade of that discovery. You're also likely required to make breakthroughs in areas just as world changing, but are only a stepping stone to interstellar travel. You wouldn't need giant shuttle style rockets to get up into space, you'd distort space to negate gravity and use a safer, less costly method to boost up.

It's like the Mass Effect setting, devices based on the mass effect are everywhere, even in toothbrushes. slywink

Doesn't matter if the engine for interstellar flight ends up being tiny, it's all the accumulated stuff leading to it that's just as interesting.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 05:17:01 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 18, 2014, 03:37:34 AM

See, what people keep forgetting is that if you make the breakthrough to get to the point where we can create localized space distortion fields, you've essentially changed everyday life within a decade of that discovery. You're also likely required to make breakthroughs in areas just as world changing, but are only a stepping stone to interstellar travel. You wouldn't need giant shuttle style rockets to get up into space, you'd distort space to negate gravity and use a safer, less costly method to boost up.

It's like the Mass Effect setting, devices based on the mass effect are everywhere, even in toothbrushes. slywink

Doesn't matter if the engine for interstellar flight ends up being tiny, it's all the accumulated stuff leading to it that's just as interesting.

It'd be like strapping a rocket to a turtle.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »

One aspect that needs to be addressed is all the free particles which the warp bubble would pick up and then eject out at the termination point.  One article I read on it said that with enough of a trip, you'd accumulate enough to destroy a planet.  Also, you couldn't do this in a gravity well.  too many bad potential side effects.

Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 17, 2013, 01:31:27 AM

Wow, talk about someone (Nolan) writing their own ticket!  Very much looking forward to this and hope it lives up to all it's $ and promise.

Until Nolan proves me wrong as far as Im concerned they can write him a blank check and tell him to go make a movie.  I have faith that he can deliver.
His brother's 2008 Interstellar script is available in places on the net.  If half of what is in there makes it to the big screen, it will be the most ambitious and full of awe sci-fi project to be made in the modern era.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:39:17 PM by Rhinohelix » Logged

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »

My god space is BIG.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 01:17:46 PM »

So, NASA put together a prototype of a warp drive spaceship that could get us to Alpha Centauri in two weeks.

Sexy and powerful.

And of course they named it Enterprise.

Lines like this from Dr. White have me in an OMG state:

Perhaps a Star Trek experience within our lifetime is not such a remote possibility.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »

damn, that makes me giddy.  although, with our funding priorities, we'll have it paid off by 2120.  Just in time to save the people left after the lowlands flood with melted antarctic glaciers.   thumbsup

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 07:37:02 PM »

Sorry, but no Star Trek future until replicator technology abolishes war and economics. 3D printing is a good start.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 07:14:48 PM »

New trailer.

http://youtu.be/Lm8p5rlrSkY

Looks like a very interesting movie.

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »

Certainly looks & sounds moving.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2014, 03:52:03 AM »

Yeah, I came across the new trailer on another website, I'm really like the look of this. Definitely looking to be trademark Nolan.  thumbsup
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »

It's fine (saw it before Guardians of the Galaxy last night), but imho any movie that posits we'd ever scrape up enough pocket change for NASA to actually tackle a space wormhole project is Science Fiction. Alas.  icon_neutral I mean for crying out loud we're relying on Russia to get our astronauts up to the international space station.

But, we do pay good MLB pitchers about $25 million a year to pitch maybe 30 games a season...  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:51:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: