http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 07:30:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [English] Payed?? PAYED?!?!  (Read 2744 times)
Eightball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on January 13, 2009, 04:54:02 PM

"So what should I put in these turrent hardpoints?"

Damnit there is no N in turrets why must they insist on putting it there.

Dammit, how did I forget my other one.

When playing WoW, watch how many people play rouges.  You know, the kind with daggers, not makeup.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 10:53:23 PM »

My wife and her family say "heigth" instead of "height". I guess that is supposedly a correct variation, but it drives me up a wall.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »

You know how language changes over time?  Kind of like how it's hard to read Shakespeare era English?  My point is that there is no "right" when it comes to spelling, punctuation, grammar, or usage in the long term.  It will evolve where it will evolve to, even if that means in 20 years we will all type "u" instead of "you" and use chinese curse words.

icon_wink

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 13, 2009, 06:46:00 PM

Quote from: Purge on January 13, 2009, 05:01:09 PM

Quote from: Caine on January 13, 2009, 04:55:22 PM

i will say again; thank god for party voice chat in xbox live.  no longer do we need suffer at the hands of a bunch of 14 y/o maladjusted brats and their idea of language.  

saywhat

No, instead of being able to ignore reams of unintelligible text, we instead wear out our thumbs hitting the ignore button so the crap they spew doesn't land squarely inside our head. slywink

eh, notice i said party chat?  as in you only hear the people you grouped with, not all the random riff-raff of the world.  it actually makes it easier to ignore them, no work needed.  best feature of the nxe imo.

I WAS referring to the GT folks. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 09:47:10 PM »

Growing up in the south, it's very hard to shed some turns of phrase. Here are some I'm guilty of:

The Southern Double Negative

"Hey babe! We ain't got no toothpaste!"

I literally cringe when I slip up and say stuff like that. The double negative combined with the "ain't" is just unforgivable. But I still do it from time to time.

The Jeff Foxworthy Widjadidja

Yes, I have used this. "Hey dude, you didn't bring your screwdriver widja didja?"

Fixin'

"Oh we're fixin' to fire this grill up!"  I used this FAR more than I like to admit.

See if you can't

"Honey, see if you can't open this."

My wife then replies, "Do you mean see if I CAN open it?" Then I backhand her across the mouth. Ok, I made up that last part.

The Infamous YAWL!

"Y'all need to come over and eat with us some time."

The use of y'all is something I can't break, and am not willing to break. It's just too useful a word. I use it on a daily basis, and if there's any aspect of my speech that would give me away as a Southern boy, it would be the frequent use of y'all.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 14, 2009, 08:54:05 PM

You know how language changes over time?  Kind of like how it's hard to read Shakespeare era English?  My point is that there is no "right" when it comes to spelling, punctuation, grammar, or usage in the long term.  It will evolve where it will evolve to, even if that means in 20 years we will all type "u" instead of "you" and use chinese curse words.

icon_wink

I won't be using any gorram IM shortcuts.

edit: that just reminds me of one of my favorite Robot Chicken bits where they are on Battlestar Galatica and one of the guys talks about needing to take a "shart".
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:18:14 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2009, 12:55:20 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 14, 2009, 09:47:10 PM

The Infamous YAWL!

"Y'all need to come over and eat with us some time."

The use of y'all is something I can't break, and am not willing to break. It's just too useful a word. I use it on a daily basis, and if there's any aspect of my speech that would give me away as a Southern boy, it would be the frequent use of y'all.

I broke this one a long time ago and am glad I managed to do it.  It's funny, though, in that when my wife says it, I notice.  I don't even slip up when I go back home.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 03:22:35 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 14, 2009, 09:47:10 PM

See if you can't

"Honey, see if you can't open this."

My wife then replies, "Do you mean see if I CAN open it?" Then I backhand her across the mouth. Ok, I made up that last part.

Nothing particularly wrong with this in my mind, though I don't use it myself. seeing if you can or can not open something requires the same action.

The real problem here is that you are having trouble opening things and asking your wife for help.  icon_lol

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »

I say this thread fails because both 'payed' and 'paid' are correct spellings. The verb 'to pay' is one of those unusual English verbs that has a weak form (payed) and a strong form (paid) when used in the past tense. The confusion is likely due to it being a lend verb from Old French. If you don't like it you'll just have to go bitch at the French; a popular thing to do around here I've noted.  Tongue
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 03:35:48 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 15, 2009, 03:28:08 PM

I say this thread fails because both 'payed' and 'paid' are correct spellings. The verb 'to pay' is one of those unusual English verbs that has a weak form (payed) and a strong form (paid) when used in the past tense. The confusion is likely due to it being a lend verb from Old French. If you don't like it you'll just have to go bitch at the French; a popular thing to do around here I've noted.  Tongue

Art thou serious? Just looked it up, and its "archaic" english, and I'm pretty sure people arent used "Payed" because of its roots.

Anyways, the rest stands - type the whole friggin' word. (see what I did there?)

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 15, 2009, 03:35:48 PM

Art thou serious? Just looked it up, and its "archaic" english, and I'm pretty sure people arent used "Payed" because of its roots.

Anyways, the rest stands - type the whole friggin' word. (see what I did there?)

I'd rather just blame the French  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 15, 2009, 03:35:48 PM

It's only considered archaic in some standard English dictionaries. That's because a number of dictionaries only consider strong forms of English verbs to be the correct form, but that's actually not correct in itself. Payed is definitely a word that's quickly disappearing from English, but for now it's still considered grammatically correct in many parts of the world. Your grandchildren or great granchildren might be lucky enough to never see it's use. Something else to consider though is that weak verbs are usually much easier to learn for non-native speakers of English. Anyways, if you're ever interested in reading on such things I highly recommend The Stories of English by David Crystal.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:56:18 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: