http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 03:01:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [dog] skunked!  (Read 922 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »

This is not what I needed right now.  Especially not at 1:30 am.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:58:18 PM »

Here kitty kitty kitty.

Ye Olde Farte
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:00:01 PM »

At least you can use the leftover tomato juice for some bloody mary imbibing this morning.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »

From what I understand, tomato juice is an old wives tale. The current home remedy is peroxide, baking soda and dish soap. We took her to the Laundromutt this morning and gave her the nuclear treatment. Now we need to work on getting the stench out of the house. Happy Valentine's Day!

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »

Our cat got sprayed a few months ago. I know it happens to dogs all the time, but that was the first time I'd known a cat to be that stupid.

We bathed him in an enzymatic shampoo called "Skunk B Gone" or something like that. The internet was contradictory about whether tomato juice really works or not; it's cheap, so we decided to drench him in that, too, as long as we had to bathe him. Together these treatments knocked out about 90% of the stench. Since Iggy was not at all amused by the bathing process, we didn't repeat the effort to go after the remaining stink. It wore off after a few days.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:24:58 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't imagine bathing a cat. Luckily, our pup considers baths a treat.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 14, 2010, 06:10:54 PM

From what I understand, tomato juice is an old wives tale. The current home remedy is peroxide, baking soda and dish soap. We took her to the Laundromutt this morning and gave her the nuclear treatment. Now we need to work on getting the stench out of the house. Happy Valentine's Day!

This works great...but keep in mind that anytime she gets wet again it will stink.  Even after the treatments.  Even after three months.
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 10:40:12 PM »

Scope mouth wash actually works too.

Byte me
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:17:33 PM »

Quote from: ericb on February 15, 2010, 03:28:25 PM

This works great...but keep in mind that anytime she gets wet again it will stink.  Even after the treatments.  Even after three months.

Yeah, this is what the girl at the dog wash said. Right now, I'm most concerned about getting the smell out of the house. We've been spraying it up and down with stuff, burning candles, etc. Starting to do wash. I'm a bit worried that we are getting used to what smell is left and people will notice it when I go to work.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 03:14:24 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 15, 2010, 11:17:33 PM

This works great...but keep in mind that anytime she gets wet again it will stink.  Even after the treatments.  Even after three months.

Yeah, this is what the girl at the dog wash said. Right now, I'm most concerned about getting the smell out of the house. We've been spraying it up and down with stuff, burning candles, etc. Starting to do wash. I'm a bit worried that we are getting used to what smell is left and people will notice it when I go to work.

You're dealing with an oil residue, so washing with a detergent or enzyme is the only way to remove it. Candles and sprays won't make any difference.

The acidity of tomato juice might cut through that oil, btw. It's probably less effective than chemical formulations, but it's probably not without merit either.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:18:05 AM by Ironrod » Logged

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 03:47:13 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 16, 2010, 03:14:24 AM

Quote from: Teggy on February 15, 2010, 11:17:33 PM

You're dealing with an oil residue, so washing with a detergent or enzyme is the only way to remove it. Candles and sprays won't make any difference.

The acidity of tomato juice might cut through that oil, btw. It's probably less effective than chemical formulations, but it's probably not without merit either.

The sprays are special anti-skunk stuff. The candles are just for our sanity.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 06:45:19 AM »

Yeah this is why they recommend using peroxide and dish soap nowadays. The dish soap cuts the oil of the spray. You actually don't want to wash the spray if you can. Get it with the dish soap first. Tomato juice supposedly just doesn't work at all. Haven't had any personal experience with it.

When my dog Shadow tackled a skunk wanting to play with it, I initially put her in the bathtub and started washing her immediately. Then I went online for remedies. The peroxide/dish soap stuff didn't seem to work that great. The next day I found this stuff:

It was the only thing which really got the smell out. The stuff itself smells, but it did a great job. It didn't 100% remove the smell, but that's probably because I washed her first. If she got wet I could still smell it for like 6 months afterward. Still, Skunk Off worked great on the towels and clothes too.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 07:58:30 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 16, 2010, 06:45:19 AM

Yeah this is why they recommend using peroxide and dish soap nowadays. The dish soap cuts the oil of the spray. You actually don't want to wash the spray if you can. Get it with the dish soap first. Tomato juice supposedly just doesn't work at all. Haven't had any personal experience with it.

When my dog Shadow tackled a skunk wanting to play with it, I initially put her in the bathtub and started washing her immediately. Then I went online for remedies. The peroxide/dish soap stuff didn't seem to work that great. The next day I found this stuff:
<pic removed>

It was the only thing which really got the smell out. The stuff itself smells, but it did a great job. It didn't 100% remove the smell, but that's probably because I washed her first. If she got wet I could still smell it for like 6 months afterward. Still, Skunk Off worked great on the towels and clothes too.

The dog wash had the spray of that - did you use this in the washing machine?

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:05:09 PM »

Yep, used it on the towels and my clothes. Only took 1 wash. Of course, that stuff didn't really get much of the smell on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: