http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 05:23:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Comics]How Many Times Has Robin Died?  (Read 382 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »

So i have just started to buy Comic Books,i chose The Astonishing Spider-Man issue 93 last week and Batman issue 14 today(no idea where the story is up to,but i like the artwork and i can catch up with the story along the way)

Now i am not sure how behind the UK are for Comics compared to the U.S.,but reading Batman(Aug '13 Issue),i find that Robin has died yet again..now as said i have only just started buying these,but even i know that 'Robin' has died quite a few times,granted it's been different people each time(It was wasn't it?)..so has Bats not sort of said,"you know son,that role is kinda jinxed"

here's the Spidey issue i got as well

there is a great pic of Deadpool and Spidey in that issue as well(They are both outside the Principals office that i couldn't squeeze in there)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »

As far as I know two of them.

1. Jason Todd (even though he comes back YEARS later). Killed by the Joker.
2. Damien. (I don't know anything about him).

prior to and in between there was Dick Grayson (OG robin), Tim Drake (After Todd), Stephanie Brown (Lame character prior to becoming Robin)

This is main cannon of course, there are others in alternate books.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »

and it looks like they may be setting up Carrie Kelley (yes, that Carrie Kelley) to be the next Robin.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

Really,its only been two?..oh...well..okay then..delete topic!! Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:18:12 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 12, 2013, 03:56:02 PM

2. Damien. (I don't know anything about him).

his is kind of odd.  apparently he has an evil mutated twin that dresses like Batman mixed in with Bane:

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »

Thats the second page of that Batman comic i just got

Oh,is that link an automated link?..as its an amazon Batman AC link

EDIT: NVM,i see its done it for me as well,didn't know that happened(didn't notice it in my first post)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »

in that case it sounds like UK Batman is about 5 months behind US Batman.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 05:23:26 PM »

This is the classic one

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »

Man that cover is bringing back some memories. I have literally every main batman book released from 1988 through 2002ish. The whole era was classic, Death in the family, Knightfall, Cataclysm, Nightwing coming into his own, Tim Drake learning to be a bad ass. All good stuff.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 01:31:28 AM »

Was there a Robin named Kenny?

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 06:54:41 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 12, 2013, 05:28:30 PM

Tim Drake learning to be a bad ass.

One of the worst things about the "New 52" DC Universe is how they changed Tim Drake's character.

If they were going to reboot to just five years into the superhero era, I'd rather they had started us out at a time before Drake was Robin and reintroduced him later, instead of asserting that somehow Batman had four Robins in five years.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 12, 2013, 05:23:26 PM

This is the classic one

I guess it depends on your definition of "classic".  It's certainly from an important story line, but that silver age cover was pretty big at the time and seemed to be constantly featured in compilations that I picked up as a kid.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on July 14, 2013, 06:54:41 AM

One of the worst things about the "New 52" DC Universe is how they changed Tim Drake's character.

If they were going to reboot to just five years into the superhero era, I'd rather they had started us out at a time before Drake was Robin and reintroduced him later, instead of asserting that somehow Batman had four Robins in five years.

As a whole the new 52 concept pisses me off. I get why they would want to do it, but it really just makes a bigger mess out of things. Did something happen or didn't it? Why erase cool things from the timeline when you don't have to?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 02:47:52 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 15, 2013, 12:37:40 PM

As a whole the new 52 concept pisses me off. I get why they would want to do it, but it really just makes a bigger mess out of things. Did something happen or didn't it? Why erase cool things from the timeline when you don't have to?

from what I understand pretty much everything that happened to Batman before the reboot still happened; I seem to remember reading an interview where they said his history was one of the few they did not really retcon at all.

Because I can,
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2013, 02:47:52 PM

from what I understand pretty much everything that happened to Batman before the reboot still happened; I seem to remember reading an interview where they said his history was one of the few they did not really retcon at all.

Why is so annoying. The reason that "Crisis on Infinite Earths" didn't clear anything up in terms of DC's shared superhero continuity is because they rebooted some characters, but not all of them, so it became impossible to tell what had or hadn't actually happened. They did the exact same thing with the New 52.

They rebooted Superman and got rid of great things like Lois Lane knowing who he was, them being married, and his human mother being alive. They imply that he fought Doomsday and died, but clearly none of the "Reign of the Superman" stuff happened because there's no Steel, Superboy is completely different and no one has mentioned the Eradicator.

They kept all the Robins, including Jason Todd, who still died and came back. No one can explain how Jason and Dick are now clearly around 30 years old. They totally fucked up the character of Tim Drake, who was by far the best Robin. They kept Damien, even though him being 11 years old means that he was conceived six years *before* Bruce became Batman.

In short, they didn't have the courage of their convictions, and have made a complete mess of things.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on July 15, 2013, 03:03:49 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2013, 02:47:52 PM

Why is so annoying. The reason that "Crisis on Infinite Earths" didn't clear anything up in terms of DC's shared superhero continuity is because they rebooted some characters, but not all of them, so it became impossible to tell what had or hadn't actually happened. They did the exact same thing with the New 52.

They rebooted Superman and got rid of great things like Lois Lane knowing who he was, them being married, and his human mother being alive. They imply that he fought Doomsday and died, but clearly none of the "Reign of the Superman" stuff happened because there's no Steel, Superboy is completely different and no one has mentioned the Eradicator.

They kept all the Robins, including Jason Todd, who still died and came back. No one can explain how Jason and Dick are now clearly around 30 years old. They totally fucked up the character of Tim Drake, who was by far the best Robin. They kept Damien, even though him being 11 years old means that he was conceived six years *before* Bruce became Batman.

In short, they didn't have the courage of their convictions, and have made a complete mess of things.

I haven't read any comic since the new 52 was released. But that doesn't surprise me at all. DC should have learned from Crisis and just left everything alone. If you want a reboot then do it like Marvel and have Ultimate type stories. But for God's sake don't end the continuous runs of Detective Comics or Action Comics. What a waste.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »

I think part of the reason I gave up reading comics regularly by the Big Companies (Marvel, DC) was that "the death of so and so" became so commonplace, it ceased having any meaning anymore. You know most of the time it's only a reason either to goose sales in desperation, or to get national media to scribble "So and so famous hero is getting killed off!" or to set up a reboot or let some other character play the hero for a while.

I did get suckered by much of it in the day. I did actually buy A Death in the Family, Superman/Doomsday and The Death of Captain America (graphic novel compilation).

It had some emotional impact for me before basically every comic just decided to do "deaths of" as a regular feature.

imho, I think the most impactful death in comics for me was a famous Spider-Man villain in writer Peter David's:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Kraven's Last Hunt. Mature story line (for Marvel) and a helluva final panel in one issue that upset many readers, but you knew "Hey, THIS guy is not gonna get resurrected. icon_eek" and I didn't feel like the character's death was a stunt. One of the more haunting arcs I've read in mainstream super hero comics.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:23:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 15, 2013, 09:19:26 PM

imho, I think the most impactful death in comics for me was a famous Spider-Man villain in writer Peter David's:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Kraven's Last Hunt. Mature story line (for Marvel) and a helluva final panel in one issue that upset many readers, but you knew "Hey, THIS guy is not gonna get resurrected. icon_eek" and I didn't feel like the character's death was a stunt. One of the more haunting arcs I've read in mainstream super hero comics.

actually..... paranoid

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: