http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 01:21:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [comics] Batman: Battle for the Cowel  (Read 1013 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2009, 05:40:58 PM »

so, any of you comic book fans been following the latest Batman event?  it's been pretty decent so far, with pretty much every big name making an appearance and no definite winner yet.  some of the one shots have been so so, but the one with the Gotham PD dealing with life without Batman to back them up was well done, and the recent one centered on Arkham was a bit chilling.

right now I'm kind of torn who I'd like to see become the next Batman- both Dick Grayson and Tim Drake deserve it, but I have a feeling the new Robin will be Damian, Bruce Wayne's son.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:43:11 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 05:46:08 PM »

So Bruce Wayne is dead now, right?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 05:50:04 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 05, 2009, 05:46:08 PM

kinda.  he got blasted by Darkseids Omega Sanction, which 'does not actually kill its victims: instead, it sends their consciousness traveling through parallel worlds'.  a corpse was left behind though, so they did have something to bury.  I figure if this new Batman idea bombs they'll bring him back.  basically DC hedged their bets, plus we all know no death sticks in comic books   icon_wink

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 05:53:17 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 05, 2009, 05:46:08 PM

Not according to Wiki...

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »

I just read the "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" 2-part by Neil Gaiman.  Most of it was great, but it really ends on a weak note. 

I don't think I'm going to read the main series or any of the other tie-ins, though. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:49:11 PM »

I'm enjoying "Battle for the Cowl." Because I have my comics shipped to me from Dallas, I'm a bit behind -- Red Robin just stabbed the young man in the Batsuit, if that's a non-spoiler way to be clear as to where I am. :-)

Tim is my favorite Robin, but Dick should be Batman.

Bruce may be one of the corpses brought back as a Black Lantern this summer in Blackest Night, from what I've heard.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 06:55:03 PM »

You're pretty well caught up Fireball, that was the last major thing that I can think of.   And yeah, they've been hinting that zombie Bruce may be a Black Lantern. They did an ad for it that showed a bunch of hands coming out of the ground, and one was really close to looking like Batman, with just enough hidden so it could be someone else.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »

I really hate comic book 'deaths'.  It's so fucking cheap.  Why bother killing the character in the first place?  I know about the money aspect of it and all, but still.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »

I'm kinda hoping they do keep Bruce Wayne gone, they have been hinting he was getting up in age anyways. Not to long ago he even had a heart attack during a fight.

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 07:25:02 PM »

I read that they were bringing back (or have already brought back) Barry Allen (the second flash) after his great death in the Infinite Crises series eons ago.  That's pretty annoying.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 07:41:27 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 05, 2009, 06:59:37 PM

I really hate comic book 'deaths'.  It's so fucking cheap.  Why bother killing the character in the first place?  I know about the money aspect of it and all, but still.

I haven't read consistantly in a while, and I've given up continuity getting in the way of a good story.

We all know that eventually, Bruce Wayne will be back as Batman.  The question for his 'death" and "rebirth" is "Will it be a good ride until that happens?"
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 10:51:23 PM »

So what are the Vegas odds on Batman's death lasting longer than Superman's? icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 02:10:16 AM »

Only about as long as Captain America's death.

Shall we start a pool to see who revives first?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 04:29:04 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on May 05, 2009, 10:51:23 PM

So what are the Vegas odds on Batman's death lasting longer than Superman's? icon_wink

his comics just went through a shakeup too.  apparently he's left earth, and Action Comics not centers on a new superhero team while Superman doesn't actually have Superman in it  saywhat

Quote from: hepcat on May 05, 2009, 07:25:02 PM

I read that they were bringing back (or have already brought back) Barry Allen (the second flash) after his great death in the Infinite Crises series eons ago.  That's pretty annoying.

yeah, he's coming back.  apparently they left a loophole in his death should they ever decide to bring him back.

Because I can,
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 05:53:29 AM »

One thing I've liked in Battle for the Cowl is that they've made mention of Comic Book Death Syndrome. Dick and Alfred have discussed how Tim seems to not be coping with Bruce's death, and they theorize that it's because he's seen so many people die (Superman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, etc) and come back from that death that he no longer thinks of death as a finality.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 03:30:28 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on May 06, 2009, 05:53:29 AM

One thing I've liked in Battle for the Cowl is that they've made mention of Comic Book Death Syndrome. Dick and Alfred have discussed how Tim seems to not be coping with Bruce's death, and they theorize that it's because he's seen so many people die (Superman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, etc) and come back from that death that he no longer thinks of death as a finality.

It could also be that Tim has already seen this exact F'ing storyline before, except he broke his back instead of getting hit by a death ray. Still it's the same damn storyline from a little over 15 years ago.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »

well, the battle is over, with

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dick Grayson taking over as the Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin.  everyone is assuming Tim Drake will become the Red Robin, who is set to search for Bruce Wayne.

in the end the series set up way more stuff than it solved, and there's a bunch of new series that are going to be spun out of it.  the most interesting change will be Detective Comics, which for the first time in decades will not feature Batman but Batwoman (not Bat Girl Barbara Gordon).  another odd crew will be Poison Ivy/Catwoman/Harlequin forming a trio to deal with crime, possibly with the Riddler.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 08:58:44 AM »

Whoah, what?  When did Ivy and Harlequin turn goody two shoes?  Catwoman has always been in that grey area, but Harlequin and Ivy?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 01:20:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 02, 2009, 08:08:37 AM

another odd crew will be Poison Ivy/Catwoman/Harlequin forming a trio to deal with crime, possibly with the Riddler.

What comic is this and who is drawing it? I need to get it on my list

answering my own questions, thanks google and wiki

Quote from: TFAW.com
Gotham City Sirens #1 

By:    Paul Dini, Guillem March 
Pub. Date:   June 24, 2009

This all-new series features the bad girls of Gotham City! Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are tired of playing by other people's rules regardless of which side of the law they're on.

These tough ladies have a new agenda that's all their own, and they'll use any means necessary to pursue it. But can they get along and work as a team? And who will get hurt along the way?

so no, not exactly goody two shoes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:26:52 PM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 03:49:50 PM »

Gotham City Sirens #1

This all-new series features the bad girls of Gotham City! Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are tired of playing by other people's rules regardless of which side of the law they're on.

These tough ladies have a new agenda that's all their own, and they'll use any means necessary to pursue it. But can they get along and work as a team? And who will get hurt along the way?

That sounds like the description of a Lifetime TV series.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 03:53:25 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 02, 2009, 03:49:50 PM

Gotham City Sirens #1

That sounds like the description of a Lifetime TV series.

it has a very special first issue  Tongue

Quote from: Turtle on June 02, 2009, 08:58:44 AM

Whoah, what?  When did Ivy and Harlequin turn goody two shoes?  Catwoman has always been in that grey area, but Harlequin and Ivy?

that's what the comic that sets up the series hinted at, but then you read the previous description and it makes you wonder.  personally I was surprised to see the Riddler somewhat reformed and being a private detective.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: