http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:50:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [CG] Ad Banners  (Read 2532 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2004, 12:38:46 AM »

In an effort to reduce our costs and grow our site we are trying a new ad agency.  The ads are not generally game related per se but they might just pay the bills.  I'd like your feedback and would appreciate your patience.  Be honest but constructive please.  If there is an ad (and don't say all of them) that is particularly bothersome (flashing, etc) please let me know.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 01:36:31 AM »

Anything you have to/can do to keep this excellent site up and running is A-OK in my book.  biggrin
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 01:38:24 AM »

Right now there was a Winner banner a flashing away.  Otherwise it looks fine to me.  I'll try to do a clickthrough or two a day.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 01:43:01 AM »

I imagine just about everyone here would understand.  Hey, bandwidth aint free.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 01:54:05 AM »

Well, I'm also trying to keep the deceptive ads away.  I honest don't think I'm the #857336'th visitor to this site, nor do I think I've won.  I also think that you guys are savvy enough to know that it is a function of profitability and nothing more.

We aren't in any danger at this point, just would be nice to not have to run CG entirely out of the lint in the bottom of my pockets and instead be able to get some cash flow to buy upgrades and such for the place.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 02:04:23 AM »

Ones that I truly find frustratingly annoying I'll just specifically adblock, the others I'll clickthrough a couple of times a week for ya.

Not really a hassle at all. That whole do what you have to do thing, you know?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 02:13:21 AM »

I don't mind the ads at all, but can you reposition it a bit maybe? Or make the CG logo on the top a weensy teensy smaller? I have my browser window at 800x600 (I multi-task alot, and it's nice to have space on the desktop for other windows), and that ad cause me to have to scroll sideways, which I loathe.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 02:46:38 AM »

I don't mind clicking on the ads, but I'd also like to suggest that you consider implementing a way for site visitors to donate to the site.  There are those of us who enjoy the site enough that we'd be happy to help out a bit without clicking on cockroach banner ads.  smile

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 03:24:08 AM »

I dunno, I think the new ad banners, while not intrusive, are just annoying. I understand the why, I would love to see you reach out try to grab some other ones, maybe a little more game related as well, even if it's Pogo.com or Popcap etc. I love how Penny Arcade does ads for example.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 03:46:39 AM »

I'm working on those as well Tebunker.  If I could get a steady stream of those I'd go games-only and never look back.  Its hard to put us and Penny Arcade in the same boat though. smile  

I'll look into the scrolling to the side thing, those ads shouldn't have broken that.  As for donating to the site, I've got a paypal account setup with the email address [email protected] for that sort of thing if you are inclined.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 04:11:05 AM »

True, but I was just giving an example. I'd feel more inclined to click an ad if it just looked a little nicer.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 04:17:43 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I'm working on those as well Tebunker.  If I could get a steady stream of those I'd go games-only and never look back.  Its hard to put us and Penny Arcade in the same boat though. smile  

I'll look into the scrolling to the side thing, those ads shouldn't have broken that.  As for donating to the site, I've got a paypal account setup with the email address [email protected] for that sort of thing if you are inclined.  smile

The scrolling isn't an "problem" with the ad per se, simply that the CG logo and the ad side-by-side is wider than my window, and that forces the whole page to be as wide, thus scrolling. A simple fix would be to move the ad under the logo, or modify the logo to make it a bit smaller.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 05:34:07 AM »

The ads aren't actually showing up for me.  I always get a "The page cannnot be displayed" error.

And it's kind of annoying because it keeps trying to load new ones every so often so I usually have to hit the back button a few times to get back to the index that I was previously on.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 02:10:19 PM »

I'm having similar issues with side scrolling as Raven, although mine are caused because I usually hit the site as part of my morning browsing with my bookmarks open (on the left).  It's definitely a new issue as I've never noticed it before except when there was a monster-sized image throwing the thread off.

If I had to make a suggestion, I'd say scale down the logo a little, width-wise or maybe push the ad to the top of the page.

And if it's at all possible, can you get rid of that jitter ad?  You know, the one that shakes all around?  I can deal with most of the flashing ones, but that one always gets on my nerves. smile
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 02:14:10 PM »

I didnt even notice it until I read this thread... I guess I'm used to tuning them out by now?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 03:05:08 PM »

I haven't seen any ads that bother me, I give them a click through when I think about it.  I really wish they would make their hourly prizes a little nicer...I mean, I win all the time it seems, but am just not satisfied with the prize slywink
Guy Incognito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 05:24:45 PM »

http://media.fastclick.net/w/click.here?cid=9069&mid=38920&sid=18887&m=1&c=1879
Winner
Important: If the link above is flashing, you have been selected as a Winner!  Claim Here

Super annoying because of the spastic flashing colors.

When I first loaded the index I got a weird shoot the cockroach ad that was very distracting.

When I clicked reply I just got an annoying flashing free PS2 offer.  At least the flashing stopped after a few seconds.
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2004, 05:34:22 PM »

ads are good.  flashing "winner" ads are bad.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 06:21:33 PM »

I won something?!??!?!? Why didn't somebody tell me?!?!?!?!?  :shock:  :shock:

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2004, 07:05:20 PM »

Am I the only one for whom the ads aren't even showing up?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2004, 07:48:52 PM »

When I checked out the news page one of the ads had gone vertical and was obscuring part of the top story and page menu.  That sure got my attention.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 11:02:38 PM »

Quote from: "Yossarian"

We are looking into the flashing winner ads, as those shouldn't have been on the ad rotation.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 11:39:48 PM »

'Shoot the cockroach' has got to go.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2004, 12:56:26 AM »

Quote from: "Yossarian"

I'll see if we can replace it with something more tasteful, same thing with the roach ad.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2004, 03:33:46 AM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
Am I the only one for whom the ads aren't even showing up?

Apparently you blocked the ad server that we use some time ago from some other site. You freeloader. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2004, 04:32:07 PM »

The flashing ads and roaches are gone (or will be within the hour)

smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 04:56:21 PM »

Yeah, anything with jittery animation gets an adblock from me... especially the one with John Kerry's face being distorted to look like a beak - that's just creepy.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2004, 05:06:23 PM »

Hahhhaa.  Well, I can't turn em all off or we simply defeat the purpose, but I'll try to keep them as tasteful as possible.  On the other hand, name one other site that is willing to remove ads for you. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2004, 09:22:37 PM »

I *loathe* flash based ads.  But honestly, I have a few programs and tweaks which block most advertising anyway, so I guess it doesnt matter in my case.

BTW, did you try Google AdSense?  I dont have any experience with it, but it IS Google, so it might be good...
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2004, 09:35:10 PM »

I'll click through to support the site, er i mean b/c I really want to find out what i've won!
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2004, 10:12:39 PM »

The ads don't bother me. Some are kind of funny to see just because they seem so out of context with CG.  smile

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
warning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2004, 10:31:17 PM »

I successfully shot the criminal so I expect a free PS2 anyday now.

I'm still waiting for the free PS2 I won when I accepted Jesus at that one site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: