http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 11:33:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [cat] Dilemma  (Read 500 times)
lildrgn
Gaming Trend Senior Member

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:46:07 AM »

We have a cat and I can't stand her.

She's probably about 17 years old now. For the past several months, every couple weeks, she'd pee on the floor by her litter box. Sometimes she'd drop the kids off there too.

Many times, it's even when the box is clean. Most times, the pee would run under our laundry dryer and I'd have to first slide a paper towel under to sop up the excess, then move the whole dryer to properly get the rest and clean. Big pain.

We found some mattress pads in our garage recently. They're designed for kid's small (crib) beds to go beneath the sheet and soak up any accidental bed wetting episodes. I started putting them on the floor next to the dryer to help with the problem. We also got her a lower litter box, thinking she's getting older and doesn't want to jump in this big box we had for her.

Anyway, it worked in that she'd go in the box with an occasional pee on the mat, which was easy enough to clean and no pee under the dryer. Trouble is, the past 3 days or so, she's been using the mat exclusively. Pee, poop, it doesn't matter, and all the while, the box is untouched.

So, long story longer, the dilemma is, am I training her to not use the box because of the mats? I gotta admit, it's gross, but it's easier to clean than a litter box. Plus, I can just flush the poop. Now that I think about it, maybe that's the way to go... put mats out, no more litter, no more dust/litter everywhere, fairly quick clean up.

Hmm. Quite the dilemma.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 02:03:45 AM »

The problem may be that she got her pee scent on the pads, and now reads that as the place to go.  Our cats used to pee on a particular spot of carpet if we waited too long to change their litter, and eventually kind of whenever they felt like it.  They would really only pee in one or two particular spots.  Once we took up that carpet, they didn't pee there anymore. 

I think I remember reading somewhere that one of the most important parts of cleaning up cat pee is getting the scent out so they don't continue to think of that as "their spot".  You might be running into a similar thing with those pads if your cleaning method isn't getting the pee scent completely out.  Then again, I also used to have an old cat who'd just pee places to watch me clean it up.  Cats get mean when they get old.

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 02:43:56 AM »

I'm not reusing the mats, but throwing them out once they're peed on. I think she just hates me.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 03:53:58 AM »

I have a similar situation with a 2 year old cat that seems to love to pee in, get this, our 1 year old's crib, as well as under it, as well as in our 7 year old's bed.  We've put multiple kitty litter boxes around the house, have to keep the childrens rooms doors closed, and each time it happens wash everything as well as treat it with enzyme cleaner to try and keep the smell out, so the cat won't smell it, but no dice.  My wife and I are ready to kill the cat (or find it a nice farm somewhere) but unfortunately it's also a favourite pet of our two older sons.  The cat is also an escape artist - we try our utmost to keep our pets indoors, I hate when other people's cats use my yard for a litter box so I don't want to do it to others, but this cat also likes to hover by doors and bolt outside every chance it gets.

I'm generally an animal person, I have a 16 year old cat and a dog that we love, and even this cat has a nice enough personality, and is great with our kids - but this pissing in the kids beds HAS to stop.  Particularly in the baby's crib.  That just makes me want to kill.  Baby > Cat.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:29:35 AM »

Like elderly people, old pets just do whatever the hell they want and screw the consequences. Have you had her checked for a urinary tract infection?

This is a shot in the dark, but have you tried changing cat litter brands? Maybe your cat doesn't like the perfume or the texture or something.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 04:38:58 AM »

WRT Rowdy: we went through a phase last summer where my son's room had pee in it seemingly several times a week. He's 6 and potty trained, but prone to accidents every once in a while. However, this pee thing was out of control. We figured it wasn't the dog as she's never had an accident inside and some of the places where we found pee were not medium dog sized places. And we figured it wasn't the cat as it would've smelled way worse.

Apparently it was my son after all, possibly waking in the middle of the night and just peeing somewhere (under bed, corner, in his Lite Brite). We never confirmed it, and it has gone away, but man, it was lame at the time.

Good luck with your cat. I feel your pain, though your pain seems much worse than mine at this time.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 04:53:52 AM »

Bag, rocks, rope, creek. Solves any cat problem.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I like cats. Shut up.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »

When cleaning up the cat or dog pee you also need to use a enzyme cleaner to really break down and get rid of the smell spot.  Even if it's concrete that smell is still there dry or not.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 03:25:44 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on May 09, 2011, 01:46:07 AM

We have a cat and I can't stand her.

She's probably about 17 years old now. For the past several months, every couple weeks, she'd pee on the floor by her litter box. Sometimes she'd drop the kids off there too.

Many times, it's even when the box is clean. Most times, the pee would run under our laundry dryer and I'd have to first slide a paper towel under to sop up the excess, then move the whole dryer to properly get the rest and clean. Big pain.

We found some mattress pads in our garage recently. They're designed for kid's small (crib) beds to go beneath the sheet and soak up any accidental bed wetting episodes. I started putting them on the floor next to the dryer to help with the problem. We also got her a lower litter box, thinking she's getting older and doesn't want to jump in this big box we had for her.

Anyway, it worked in that she'd go in the box with an occasional pee on the mat, which was easy enough to clean and no pee under the dryer. Trouble is, the past 3 days or so, she's been using the mat exclusively. Pee, poop, it doesn't matter, and all the while, the box is untouched.

So, long story longer, the dilemma is, am I training her to not use the box because of the mats? I gotta admit, it's gross, but it's easier to clean than a litter box. Plus, I can just flush the poop. Now that I think about it, maybe that's the way to go... put mats out, no more litter, no more dust/litter everywhere, fairly quick clean up.

Hmm. Quite the dilemma.
* I think the first thing (if you haven't already done so) is get a vet to check your cat's overall health, esp. for a urinary tract infection. Might require a blood test. If she just suddenly won't use a box at all, that could be part of it. They may recommend a prescription food (urinary-tract friendly food), or sometimes you can find the appropriate food at a pet store, if a vet suggests that.

*Do you use a hooded litter box? My late cat wouldn't ever use a hooded litter box (not even a "half-hooded" litter box), and many cats either won't use it, or won't properly use the box unless the hood is off. You might consider a litter box with a lower rim, or at least a lower entry way that's easy to get into. I think older cats seem sensitive to that.

*What brand litter do you use? All cats are different, and some are more comfortable with one brand than others. Some can also be sensitive to scented-litter (there are usually "unscented" versions available on most brands).

*From about 1998 to May 2010 (when Molly was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and then started pooping outside her litter boxes though she still urinated in them OK) my cat really liked Dr. Elsey's clumping litter, which is available in most Petsmart stores (Petco doesn't carry the brand). It's billed as for cats who won't properly use other litters and it did work for Molly for many years.
http://preciouscat.com/
*"Cat Attract" is their sub-brand (red plastic packaging) meant for cats who aren't using litter boxes properly. I'm not convinced it's a whole different than the regular Elsey's brand per se. I can't guarantee it'd work but it's probably worth trying a bag -- bearing in mind you can't really return litter once opened, most places.

The Elsey's brand also sells a "litter box attractant," although if your cat simply doesn't like or feel comfortable with your litter, that probably won't help.

When I get home, I'll share some links I'd found with some suggestions to try when cats won't use a litter box.
==============================
In Molly's case, I tried probably 5 different litter brands and 3 different litter box models to get her to poop in the right place again. What finally worked for the last couple months of her life was a $2.99 "disposal litter box" you can find at pet stores and some grocery stores. It comes with just a little clay litter sealed on the bottom, and you tear the lid off. For whatever reason (maybe the low sides), she finally started using it again. (she would use it for both urinating and pooping, and sometimes would still urinate in her regular old litter box OK). Since it didn't use clumping litter, I had to throw it out after a week or so (even after cleaning solid waste, the urine soaked the clay litter quickly), but that certainly beat cleaning her poop off the floor or carpet.

So, like you with your pads, I had to improvise.  icon_smile You say you hate your cat, but you seem like someone who is trying everything to make it work, and I think you should be admired for that, regardless of whether you're crazy about the cat or not.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:34:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on May 09, 2011, 04:53:52 AM

Bag, rocks, rope, creek. Solves any cat problem.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I like cats. Shut up.

Trust me, if it wasn't for his 9 year old and 7 year old protectors, this cat might live elsewhere by now.  (I wouldn't throw him in the creek, but I do know some people with acreages near by that let cats live in the barns...)
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on May 09, 2011, 04:38:58 AM

WRT Rowdy: we went through a phase last summer where my son's room had pee in it seemingly several times a week. He's 6 and potty trained, but prone to accidents every once in a while. However, this pee thing was out of control. We figured it wasn't the dog as she's never had an accident inside and some of the places where we found pee were not medium dog sized places. And we figured it wasn't the cat as it would've smelled way worse.

Apparently it was my son after all, possibly waking in the middle of the night and just peeing somewhere (under bed, corner, in his Lite Brite). We never confirmed it, and it has gone away, but man, it was lame at the time.

Good luck with your cat. I feel your pain, though your pain seems much worse than mine at this time.

Ya, this is definitely cat pee.  One time we found it in the baby's bed in the morning when we went to get the baby - on the other side of the crib.  I wondered for a while if it was a jealousy thing, but the cat gets an awful lot of affection from the kids (and me, when I'm not ready to throttle it on the pee days) so I can't see how.  Regardless, even if it is some psycho cat jealousy thing, it's not acceptable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: