http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 12:45:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Books]JK Rowling to publish first adult novel  (Read 1970 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »

I think the problem is (and always has been) that books have two different classifications: Genre, and Age.

Children
Young Adult
Adult

vs.

Novels:

-Fiction
-- Fantasy
-- Horror
-- Science (Fiction)
-- etc...

-Non-Fiction
-- History
-- etc..

I don't think, and never have thought "Young Adult" fits as a genre. For me it sits at the highest level to whom the content, whether it be novel, short story or poem, is aimed at. I don't think I'm wrong in this view, but perhaps the common person considers it a grouping of Fiction books (which is what you seem to have a problem with). I think they are wrong.

As I see it:

Type of content (Novel, Short Story)
- Age Target (children, Young Adult, Adult)
-- Fiction/Non-Fiction
--- sub-genre (Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical etc)

Libraries will clump their childrens and YA sections together, as a means of keeping the "kids" together. Perhaps that is where this "sub-genre" of YA was born - I've never agreed with that though, and while it hadn't been discussed before, it's how I always would have felt and described it as such were this conversation to happen 10 years ago.

As I see it, the elements of YA are based on topics that entertain, in a manner consistent with the delivery and understanding of the target audience, and allows the reader to associate to the characters and their plight.

As an adult, I am fully capable of associating with the concepts in young adult books. This is why books like Harry Potter can resonate with a wider audience (not that I'd let my son watch the movies - they are far too dark for his capacity to deal with fear at this time). Barring children though, the story and subsequent movies project common concepts and are easily digestible.

Conversely, as a young adult, I would NOT have been able to truly grasp the challenges of parenthood, for instance. I could reason and understand them conceptually, but having never experienced it there is no way I could be expected to understand a statement like "... and yet, though Bill knew his son had done wrong, he couldn't have been more proud of him."

That phrase can take on a completely different, and fundamentally deeper meaning for a parent that a young adult, or even non-parent, could not be expected to fully understand. That isn't to say that those people have no capacity to get it, and it is only an example. I hope you get the gist of it, rather than getting caught up in preconceived notion. The idea is that the author is able to use a common connection to take a shorter route to their readers psyche, because they share that same understanding. It would be like two brothers giving each other a look. It's communication with less words, where the implied is understood without a full explanation (unlike this particular post of mine slywink)

YA, IMHO, is not just about censorship (edginess, range of topic); it is about being able to resonate with your audience, to speak to their level. As a parallel: "management-speak" is often mocked by employees as being full of themselves - when you've had to manage people there is a fundamental shift in thinking and it isn't generally people trying to sound important.

That is my last kick at this particular can in expressing why, when I say I'm looking forward to Ms. Rowlings next work as a way to connect to an adult book, that it isn't just because I'm hoping for T&A, or a gorefest. slywink
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:03:14 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 29, 2012, 02:55:58 PM

That is my last kick at this particular can in expressing why, when I say I'm looking forward to Ms. Rowlings next work as a way to connect to an adult book

Somehow I doubt this...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 29, 2012, 03:46:02 PM

That is my last kick at this particular can in expressing why, when I say I'm looking forward to Ms. Rowlings next work as a way to connect to an adult book

Somehow I doubt this...

:shrug: my apathy has bested my irritation. Tongue

... or were you talking about me looking forward to a book release?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »

I've come to understand your posting habits the last few months and was just teasin' ya.  no insult intended beyond a good natured ribbing.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2012, 05:13:01 PM »

That is my last kick at this particular can in expressing why, when I say I'm looking forward to Ms. Rowlings next work as a way to connect to an adult book, that it isn't just because I'm hoping for T&A, or a gorefest. slywink

Hey Purge. That was incredibly well written and quite eloquent. Cap doffed.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »

I think he doesn't want to try it because he fears he might just like it, and the thought of that repulses him slywink  Wouldn't want to be caught dead reading YA? That's why the Harry Potter versions with alternate covers were made for smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 29, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 29, 2012, 04:23:03 PM

I've come to understand your posting habits the last few months and was just teasin' ya.  no insult intended beyond a good natured ribbing.

So that post was ribbed for my pleasure?

How considerate. icon_twisted

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 29, 2012, 06:31:46 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on February 29, 2012, 05:13:01 PM

Agreed.  Well-written and level-headed.

Still missing the point that YA has grown beyond its category and intended audience.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2012, 02:03:44 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 29, 2012, 06:31:46 PM

Quote from: Crusis on February 29, 2012, 05:13:01 PM

Agreed.  Well-written and level-headed.

Still missing the point that YA has grown beyond its category and intended audience.

Thank you to both Crusis and you for taking the time and effort to absorb what I was trying to convey.

I'm not sure I understand the last part of your comment there, but If I read that correctly, I did answer that above: I've always felt that YA has never been exclusive for Young Adults, and the shift is in that perhaps the general populous is simply becoming more aware of the well-written content that can be created and fits within that target market (as a lowest common denominator, rather than a range). It would be akin to people recognizing that PG-13 isn't just for teens, but for 13 *and up*. Tongue

If that is what you're driving at, I think we agree. biggrin

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: