http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:05:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Books] The crippled god has gone gold!  (Read 3726 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:34:10 AM »

Steven Erikson's Facebook was just updated with this message:

GASP! That would be me, coming up for air. How long was I down there? About twenty years, from conception to completion. The Malazan Book of the Fallen is done. Sure, editing and all that crap to follow. But ... done. I don't know who I am. Who am I again? What planet is this? Three months of butterflies ... maybe this double whiskey will fix that. Hmm. No. Delayed reaction going on here.  

So damn great! He's one of the most profilic writers I've ever read - man he's churning them out fast, unlike Martin's Game of Thrones I'm afraid. Oh, and please be aware, that I am not dissing Martin, or saying he's a better writer, I'm just very excited Erikson is done and we can look forward to real soon reading the final chapter in whats been the most epic of sagas!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:43:15 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »

Nice! Got into this some time ago and loved them, reading several... but for whatever reason took a break and then never got back to them. How many are there in all?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on July 23, 2010, 12:14:43 PM

Nice! Got into this some time ago and loved them, reading several... but for whatever reason took a break and then never got back to them. How many are there in all?

9 by steven erikson so far, this one making it the tenth. There are two by his friend,  Ian C Esslemonth, where Return of the Crimson Guard is pretty important. SE has also written a few short stories as well, that are set in the same world and are pretty fun

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 02:57:43 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 23, 2010, 01:31:04 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on July 23, 2010, 12:14:43 PM

9 by steven erikson so far, this one making it the tenth. There are two by his friend,  Ian C Esslemonth, where Return of the Crimson Guard is pretty important. SE has also written a few short stories as well, that are set in the same world and are pretty fun

Esslemont also has a third novel coming at the end of this year- Stonewielder. 
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »

This is GREAT news! I can't wait.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 02:25:41 PM »

Great news!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »

cool, now I can finally give the series a shot.  after Martin and Jordan taking forever I swore not to start any epic series until it was finished.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 04:03:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 24, 2010, 03:32:19 PM

cool, now I can finally give the series a shot.  after Martin and Jordan taking forever I swore not to start any epic series until it was finished.

If you do this, please, dont give up after the first book - Its a hard read, especially since you are thrown into a very complex world pretty much without any explanation... I promise you, things will become clear around...book 3 :-D

hmm, while I kid, its actually more or less so, book one is...very very hard to read, but, despair not, since I want people to love erikson, I have this for you which is actually gold for those who have a hard time reading the first book. Over at Tor books, they started doing a re-read, where they have to people, one who knows the series, and one who doesnt, read the book together, and discuss the chapters together - its actually pretty damn awesome

linkie: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/07/welcome-to-the-malazan-re-read-of-the-fallen-on-torcom

Enjoy!! Eriksons books are some of the most interesting fantasy I've ever read

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 04:08:18 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 24, 2010, 04:03:37 PM

If you do this, please, dont give up after the first book - Its a hard read, especially since you are thrown into a very complex world pretty much without any explanation... I promise you, things will become clear around...book 3 :-D

hmm, while I kid, its actually more or less so, book one is...very very hard to read, but, despair not, since I want people to love erikson, I have this for you which is actually gold for those who have a hard time reading the first book. Over at Tor books, they started doing a re-read, where they have to people, one who knows the series, and one who doesnt, read the book together, and discuss the chapters together - its actually pretty damn awesome

linkie: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/07/welcome-to-the-malazan-re-read-of-the-fallen-on-torcom

yeah, I've heard that about book one.  a friend even suggested I skip it and just start with the Deadhouse Gates but I'm a completist.  I figure after slogging through some of Jordan's slow points I should be able to weather anything  icon_lol  hopefully this series will tide me over until The Wheel of Time is completed so I can get back to that series (been buying the HC's for each new release but put it on hold until it was done).

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »

And we also just need 4-5 other series of this length to keep us until Martin makes the next Song of Ice and Fire book :-D

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 24, 2010, 04:12:36 PM

And we also just need 4-5 other series of this length to keep us until Martin makes the next Song of Ice and Fire book :-D

LOL, maybe I can fill that time in by re-reading all the Discworld books.

Because I can,
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »

It's been a long road. I picked up GotM when Erikson was working on book 5, so I was able to read the first 4 back to back. Since then it's been the year-long wait for each new installment. It is a shame that book 1 is such a roadblock to the series. I plowed through it but I know others who just couldn't get passed the first 150 pages.

Another recommendation for Esselmont's Return of the Crimson Guard as well. It fits in around book 6 or 7 of Erikson's work.

For me, Erikson forms one third of the Canadian Fantasy Triumvirate - Bakker, Kay and Erikson, where every new book by any of them is a must-read.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 05:24:30 PM »

Bakker? Who is this Bakker? I love Guy Gavriel Kay as well although its a totally sort of fantasy books he writes

A new one
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 24, 2010, 04:08:18 PM

Quote from: Razgon on July 24, 2010, 04:03:37 PM

yeah, I've heard that about book one.  a friend even suggested I skip it and just start with the Deadhouse Gates but I'm a completist.  I figure after slogging through some of Jordan's slow points I should be able to weather anything  icon_lol  hopefully this series will tide me over until The Wheel of Time is completed so I can get back to that series (been buying the HC's for each new release but put it on hold until it was done).

It's funny. I absolutely loved Gardens of the Moon, but Deadhouse Gates was the hard read for me. I was lost almost the whole time and literally had to force my way through it. Then, I felt right back at home with Memories of Ice.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »

Here is the trick to Erikson and GotM. Read it. Read the two books that follow. Then go back and read GotM again, and suddenly it becomes one of the best fantasy novels you've ever read the second time around biggrin
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »

I eagerly await the day when someone creates a thread called

[Books] Dance with Dragons has gone gold!

Intention is not to derail the thread though smile  (did you all read http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/feb/16/george-rr-martin-new-book)

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 10:01:19 PM »

I got into this series at book one - the British release the year it came out. I had a hell of a time getting into it but when I did read it was just floored by the complexity of the novel. Then book two came out and it was a real game changer. I expected a sequel and got ... I don't even know what to call it, a simu-sequel? Since then the books have continued to knock my socks off and he cranks one out every year. My longest novel has been 113K words and it's really tough to edit something like that. His books are over 300K words. I think that if I took every single piece of published material I have and put it in a book it would be almost the size of an Erikson book.

I know they aren't for everyone but man oh man, if you can handle the crazy plots and tons of characters you are in for a treat.

I met Erikson once and he was a real gentlemen and he was genuinely interested in what people made of his books. He did a reading in Seattle about 8 years ago and afterwards he just hung out with a few of us geeks and shot the shit with us. Class act.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 12:53:52 AM »

huh.... for some reason Amazon has all of the Erikson Malazan books except Deadhouse Gates and Dust of Dreams available for the Kindle.  Dust of Dreams wouldn't be a big deal right away, but to skip over the second book?

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 25, 2010, 12:53:52 AM

huh.... for some reason Amazon has all of the Erikson Malazan books except Deadhouse Gates and Dust of Dreams available for the Kindle.  Dust of Dreams wouldn't be a big deal right away, but to skip over the second book?

http://www.amazon.com/Deadhouse-Gates-Malazan-Book-Fallen/dp/0765314290

:-)

A new one
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 24, 2010, 05:24:30 PM

Bakker? Who is this Bakker? I love Guy Gavriel Kay as well although its a totally sort of fantasy books he writes

R. Scott Bakker, who so far has written 4 books all set in the same world. The first three form the Prince of Nothing trilogy, and the 4th is the first of the Aspect-Emperor trilogy. In order: The Darkness that Comes Before, The Warrior Prophet, The Thousandfold Thought, The Judging Eye.

Bakker is another who has put a lot of time into world-building, but unlike Erikson, his main cast is much smaller - maybe half a dozen, plus peripheral characters.

I love Kay's works. I've been reading each one as it released since the mid-80s.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 07:28:54 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 25, 2010, 09:44:14 AM

yeah, but I'd rather get it on my Kindle.  books are so antiquated  Tongue

the funny thing is that I think I had Deadhouse Gates in hardcover from some book club but gave it away when I did a library clearing earlier this year.  I did some searching and apparently the Kindle version got pulled because of a bunch of typos.  Looks like they got one available at Amazon UK but it won't let me buy it.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 09:36:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 25, 2010, 07:28:54 PM

huh? but..the kindle version is right there? 13.99?

the funny thing is that I think I had Deadhouse Gates in hardcover from some book club but gave it away when I did a library clearing earlier this year.  I did some searching and apparently the Kindle version got pulled because of a bunch of typos.  Looks like they got one available at Amazon UK but it won't let me buy it.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 25, 2010, 09:36:55 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 25, 2010, 07:28:54 PM

huh? but..the kindle version is right there? 13.99?

it might be available in your region, but all I get it this:

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 10:19:26 PM »

Strange... check this out

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 10:25:22 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 25, 2010, 10:19:26 PM

Strange... check this out

yep, you're seeing an international version.  they mention VAT next to the price.

Because I can,
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 06:13:39 PM »

Quote from: Barrakketh on July 24, 2010, 04:40:42 PM

Another recommendation for Esselmont's Return of the Crimson Guard as well. It fits in around book 6 or 7 of Erikson's work.

I've got a Kindle on the way soon and I think I'm going to reread this series (Deadhouse Gates and Dust of Dreams will have to be non-Kindle, it seems) while waiting for The Crippled God.

I'm going to read Esselmont's books along the way. I haven't read any of them before. So, if you put Return of the Crimson Guard around book 6 or 7, where would you put Night of Knives?

~Switchfoot
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 04:02:02 AM »

I've read the first 8, however am having a real hard time finishing the ninth.  The series starts great but suffers very seriously from character bloat by the end.
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 04:35:46 AM »

Quote from: Qantaga on August 10, 2010, 06:13:39 PM

Quote from: Barrakketh on July 24, 2010, 04:40:42 PM

I've got a Kindle on the way soon and I think I'm going to reread this series (Deadhouse Gates and Dust of Dreams will have to be non-Kindle, it seems) while waiting for The Crippled God.

I'm going to read Esselmont's books along the way. I haven't read any of them before. So, if you put Return of the Crimson Guard around book 6 or 7, where would you put Night of Knives?

Night of Knives is a flashback to the night Laseen took over Malaz. You could read it anytime after the GotM prologue, since you'd want to know who Laseen, Kellanved, Dancer and Tayschrenn are. One of the main characters is Temper, who gets a mention in Bonehunters, so you could hold off until then if you prefer.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:42:51 AM by Barrakketh » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 06:05:42 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on August 11, 2010, 04:02:02 AM

I've read the first 8, however am having a real hard time finishing the ninth.  The series starts great but suffers very seriously from character bloat by the end.

payoff is at the end...I promise

A new one
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »

Quote from: Barrakketh on August 11, 2010, 04:35:46 AM

Night of Knives is a flashback to the night Laseen took over Malaz. You could read it anytime after the GotM prologue, since you'd want to know who Laseen, Kellanved, Dancer and Tayschrenn are. One of the main characters is Temper, who gets a mention in Bonehunters, so you could hold off until then if you prefer.

Thank you Barrakketh!

~Switchfoot
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 12:51:44 PM »

Weird that the Kindle version of Deadhouse Gates isn't available any more.  I bought it at the beginning of May, and I'm currently reading it on my Kindle (I read damn slow).  Very curious.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 11, 2010, 12:51:44 PM

Weird that the Kindle version of Deadhouse Gates isn't available any more.  I bought it at the beginning of May, and I'm currently reading it on my Kindle (I read damn slow).  Very curious.

how's the formatting and typos?  I heard that's why it got pulled.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2010, 02:27:43 PM

Quote from: Chaz on August 11, 2010, 12:51:44 PM

how's the formatting and typos?  I heard that's why it got pulled.

That would make a lot of sense.  The left margin is indented farther than it should be, italicizing is frequently kind of wonky (one word from an italicized sentence isn't), and there are a bunch of typos.  It's perfectly readable, but it's not clean.  It'd be neat if they put up a new version before I finish.  I wonder if a new one would automatically download, or if I'd have to delete and re-download, and probably find where I was again.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 08:52:24 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 11, 2010, 02:42:50 PM

That would make a lot of sense.  The left margin is indented farther than it should be, italicizing is frequently kind of wonky (one word from an italicized sentence isn't), and there are a bunch of typos.  It's perfectly readable, but it's not clean.  It'd be neat if they put up a new version before I finish.  I wonder if a new one would automatically download, or if I'd have to delete and re-download, and probably find where I was again.

I would guess delete and re-download.  After the crap that Amazon got for the 1984 debacle, I doubt they are in a hurry to auto-delete anything from anyone's device.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »

Quote from: Barrakketh on August 11, 2010, 04:35:46 AM

I picked up Night of Knives. I'm only about 70 pages in (that's about a quarter of the tale), but I'm loving it so far.

~Switchfoot
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 12:45:48 AM »

I read the first book last year and yes it was a bit of a slog.  I actually stopped when I finished that book because I thought to myself if I commit to reading this series I will never have time to read anything else again.  Anyways I read the book last year and things are a bit hazy.  I don't really want to go back and read it again just yet (but might try the suggestion of reading the next two and then going back) so I was wondering if there is somewhere I can go which gives me a good synopsis of the first book without spoilering the others?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 03:02:08 AM »

I'm in the same boat as you.  I finished the first book last November, and didn't start the second until June.  I think you're fine to jump into the next one.  It's actually a bit more focused on a smaller number of characters, and so far (I'm not done yet) their stories are a bit smaller in scope.  Also, it doesn't tie too directly into the events of book 1 yet.  So yeah, go for book 2.  I wouldn't even bother hunting down a refresher on 1.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 03:55:02 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 18, 2010, 12:45:48 AM

I read the first book last year and yes it was a bit of a slog.  I actually stopped when I finished that book because I thought to myself if I commit to reading this series I will never have time to read anything else again.  Anyways I read the book last year and things are a bit hazy.  I don't really want to go back and read it again just yet (but might try the suggestion of reading the next two and then going back) so I was wondering if there is somewhere I can go which gives me a good synopsis of the first book without spoilering the others?

Here you go:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/03/the-malazan-re-read-of-the-fallen-introductory-post

Tor-sponsored re-read of the series with lots of good commentary. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »

Err that looks like it will take longer to read than the book itself! I was hoping for a quick wiki synopsis or something smile
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »

I'm actually reading this now I am enjoying myself, but like Songs of Fire and Ice, I think I might grow weary.  I knew the point I lost my taste for GRRM tale was in the Storm of Swords.  The way he kills of characters i invested in just killed it for me.  I know Malazan series is supposed to be just as brutual, but I haven't seen it yet

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: