http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 08:35:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [books] Fantasy Recommendation?  (Read 4068 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 02:01:02 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on April 23, 2008, 01:25:23 AM

Good advice, and thanks.

Which would you start first, Farseer Trilogy or Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone? 

Chris

Kingdom of Thorn and Bone.  It's been called A Song of Ice and Fire-Lite so it would probably be best to use Farseer as a pallet cleanser between it and the real ASOIAF. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 02:11:11 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 23, 2008, 02:01:02 AM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on April 23, 2008, 01:25:23 AM

Good advice, and thanks.

Which would you start first, Farseer Trilogy or Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone? 

Chris

Kingdom of Thorn and Bone.  It's been called A Song of Ice and Fire-Lite so it would probably be best to use Farseer as a pallet cleanser between it and the real ASOIAF. 

My thoughts as well.  Thorn and Bone is also a bit of an easier read than the Farseer series, and will probably be easier to digest for someone new to the genre.

This thread is making me want to re-read War of the Flowers.   Man, that was an awesome book.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 02:40:23 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 21, 2008, 08:19:25 PM

I can't get into Erikson's books at all.  I've read the first one twice (didn't really like it - or understand it - the first time through, so I gave it another shot hoping I could figure out what everyone was raving about.  Still wasn't crazy about it, but figured I'd plod on regardless), and got about 2/3 of the way through the second book before I was so hopelessly confused that I gave up.  The world he created is fantastic, but his tendency to jump to different characters, locales, and events without any explanation, detail, or background whatsoever is completely maddening.

Personally, if I'm going to have to work that hard to understand a story, I'd rather read something a bit more substantive than pulp fantasy.

Your lack of understanding doesn't make Martin a better writer smile And seriously, I don't comprehend how you could call Erikson's writing "pulp fantasy". But maybe its just me.

Regardless, while I will concede Martin is probably the second best fantasy writer out there right now, Erikson's books are ultimately far more rewarding for me as a reader. That is, of course, merely my opinion.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2008, 01:05:37 AM »

I just picked up the first book in the Gormenghast series.  I'm about 6 chapters in and I wonder: does it ever get any good?  I didn't read enough reviews before I picked it up.  I have almost pulled the trigger on it before, but never did.  I think it might just be me, but the latest part I heard (got the audiobook for commuting) is essentially:  "Who's that?  It's me.  Who's that knocking at my door?  Me.  Who knocks at my door wanting entry?....

I am hoping that it picks up soon, but I think the reviews are right when they say it is a story about a bunch of nasty, cynical people and isn't really a fantasy story.  To each their own.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2008, 01:10:55 AM »

It is a very dark, grotesque world, that's for sure.  I can't imagine liking it in an audio book format myself.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2008, 05:20:43 PM »

Quote from: RightBastard on April 21, 2008, 09:09:27 PM

Shoot, the no series rule takes out my recommendation of Roger Zelazny's Amber Series. But if you want to bend that rule, those books were amazing.

That still leaves Zelazny's Lord of Light which isn't part of a series. It's long after the death of Earth. A band of men on a colony planet have monopolized technology and taken on the roles of gods in the Hindu pantheon. They rule their world with godlike arrogance and caprice. Only one man opposes them.

His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, and called himself Sam. He never claimed to be a god. But then, he never claimed not to be...

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2008, 12:59:21 AM »

I would definately recommend Lord Of Light.  That is one of my all time favorites. Roger Zelanzy was an awesome writer and if you are willing to tear into a series, by all means read the Amber series.  Actually the individual books are 200-300 pages if I recall, so the first series of 5 books is probably not much larger than some of todays monster novels.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »

I've been reading the Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Normally I don't get into fantasy stuff, but I was bored and downloaded the first in the series(Sheepfarmer's Daughter) from Baen Books. Pretty darn good. I ordered all three in the series as individual books, even though you can buy it under one cover. I started in on the final book yesterday after work and put in 250 pages or so before crashing.  They've all been hard to put down once I start in on them.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2008, 09:27:17 PM »

Just picked up the first book in that series by Greg Keyes based on the recommendation in this thread.  Loved the first few pages so we'll see if it continues to keep me hooked.  Some random guy at the store started talking to me about the book when he saw me holding it, so I guess that was a good sign.  Or maybe not.   ninja
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008, 02:16:53 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 21, 2008, 12:08:09 AM

My favorite self-contained fantasy book is Tad Williams War of the Flowers.  I cannot recommend that one enough.
I just finished War of the Flowers and absolutely loved it.  Thank you so much for the recommendation.  It was so good that I didn't want it to end.  I loved the premise (which I now understand is pretty overdone in fantasy) of regular guy being transported into faerie. 

I had planned on reading Greg Keyes next, but have decided that I may read the Seventh Swordsman trilogy by Dave Duncan instead (I will read one or the other for sure)

I stumbled upon book 1, the Reluctant Swordsman at Amazon and it sounds similar in premise to War of the Flowers. 
http://www.amazon.com/Reluctant-Swordsman-Seventh-Book/dp/0345352912

Have any of you read the trilogy?

Chris

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:20:06 AM by Eco-Logic » Logged

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2008, 03:29:43 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on May 19, 2008, 02:16:53 AM

My favorite self-contained fantasy book is Tad Williams War of the Flowers.  I cannot recommend that one enough.
I just finished War of the Flowers and absolutely loved it.  Thank you so much for the recommendation.  It was so good that I didn't want it to end.  I loved the premise (which I now understand is pretty overdone in fantasy) of regular guy being transported into faerie. 

Glad you enjoyed it.  It's one that I will recommend over and over again to anyone who will listen.  smile  I actually just finished re-re-reading myself.   I absolutely adore that book, and find new little things each time that I hadn't noticed before.  Surprisingly I really haven't liked anything else Tad Williams has done.  I would love a follow-up to find out what happens in Faerie after the end events.

I just started Keyes' The Born Queen last week.  Unfortunately, it's been about a year since I finished The Blood Knight, and I'm having a hell of a time remembering the characters, their motivations, and how everything fits together.   I really probably should have re-read the first three before jumping the fourth, but I have too many other books I want to read.  The trouble with these 'long gap' series, I suppose...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2008, 03:47:31 AM »

Haven't read anything by Duncan but he's supposed to be really good.  I've got the first book of his King's Blades series around here that I hope to get to sometime.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2008, 03:49:05 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 19, 2008, 03:29:43 AM

I just started Keyes' The Born Queen last week.  Unfortunately, it's been about a year since I finished The Blood Knight, and I'm having a hell of a time remembering the characters, their motivations, and how everything fits together.   I really probably should have re-read the first three before jumping the fourth, but I have too many other books I want to read.  The trouble with these 'long gap' series, I suppose...

That's exactly what happened with me and the second novel.  Loved "Briar King" but was kind of lost when starting the sequel a year or so later so I decided to hold off until he finished the series.  Now that "Born Queen" is out I plan on reading them all this year. 
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2008, 04:15:18 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 19, 2008, 03:47:31 AM

Haven't read anything by Duncan but he's supposed to be really good.  I've got the first book of his King's Blades series around here that I hope to get to sometime.

I read some of Dave Duncans books  quite awhile ago and really enjoyed them.  I need to check out more of his stuff.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2008, 07:40:58 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it.  It's one that I will recommend over and over again to anyone who will listen.  smile  I actually just finished re-re-reading myself.   I absolutely adore that book, and find new little things each time that I hadn't noticed before.  Surprisingly I really haven't liked anything else Tad Williams has done.  I would love a follow-up to find out what happens in Faerie after the end events.

I'll be curious to see what you think of The Born Queen.  I'm not saying anything to avoid any whiff of spoilers or plotlines.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2008, 11:30:52 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 19, 2008, 07:40:58 AM

I'll be curious to see what you think of The Born Queen.  I'm not saying anything to avoid any whiff of spoilers or plotlines.

I'm about 70 pages in, and it hasn't really grabbed me yet (mainly because I only vaguely remember what happened previously).  Will report back when I'm done and let you know.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2008, 01:35:03 PM »

I just finished The Born Queen yesterday. Overall I thought it was good and it did a fine job of tying up all the loose ends. Some of the events and situations seemed a little forced, but it was a satisfactory conclusion.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2008, 01:42:52 PM »

I've been working on it for a month, and am still only about 2/3 of the way through.  It's not terrible, but I just can't seem to muster up much desire to finish it.  I find myself reading about 5 pages and getting bored, which is usually not a good sign.

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2008, 02:02:18 PM »

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

Moonheart by Charles de Lint come to mind as great stand alone fantasy with no dragons.  Moonheart is urban fantasy but is a wonderful book.  Tigana is refreshing in approach and very well written
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2008, 02:40:47 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 16, 2008, 01:42:52 PM

I've been working on it for a month, and am still only about 2/3 of the way through.  It's not terrible, but I just can't seem to muster up much desire to finish it.  I find myself reading about 5 pages and getting bored, which is usually not a good sign.

That's a little odd because I didn't find the pace or style to be any different than the other books. I zipped through it pretty quick in 8 or 9 days.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2008, 02:49:58 PM »

Quote from: Koz on June 16, 2008, 02:40:47 PM

Quote from: Gratch on June 16, 2008, 01:42:52 PM

That's a little odd because I didn't find the pace or style to be any different than the other books. I zipped through it pretty quick in 8 or 9 days.

I think it's more me than the book, honestly.  It's been incredibly frustrating to vaguely remember the previous events but not quite be able to fit the pieces together.  I really just should have waited until I could read all four back-to-back.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 09:44:18 PM by Gratch » Logged

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2008, 03:08:19 AM »

I'm just about to finish the first of the Earthsea Cycle (A Wizand of Earthsea) and I can say that I am interested in reading the others to see where it goes.  I can't believe I hadn't heard of these books before, though. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: