http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:04:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Book] Ready Player One  (Read 2793 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »

They're having a real-life contest to celebrate the release of the paperback version of the game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 12:04:30 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on September 09, 2011, 03:25:57 PM

55 or so pages in and I am already sick of the Bobisms. I hate how everything is explained like the narrator is telling the story to a class of ten year olds. Show, don't tell. ARGH! Still, the 80's stuff is nice and nostalgic.

I'm surprised there aren't more negative opinions in this thread as I found the book to be rather poor.  Along with the Bobisms the main character is a major Mary Sue (or Gary Stu) if you will.  Nothing interesting is ever really done with the 80s stuff, and it's really mostly just name dropping or describing how something happened in a movie or game.  He goes well outside the 80s before and after with references as well, really it's just a geek affirmation piece, you like this thing right, well you know what it's cool to like it!   The world both real and virtual are poorly thought out and don't hold up to any kind of scrutiny either, Oasis also has a really harsh death penalty for a game riddled with game breaking items, oops some random dude just blew up the planet you were questing on for giggles, time to roll a new guy.   I say all this as someone that grew up in the 80s and loves most of the things he references.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 05, 2012, 12:04:30 PM

55 or so pages in and I am already sick of the Bobisms. I hate how everything is explained like the narrator is telling the story to a class of ten year olds. Show, don't tell. ARGH! Still, the 80's stuff is nice and nostalgic.

I'm surprised there aren't more negative opinions in this thread as I found the book to be rather poor.  Along with the Bobisms the main character is a major Mary Sue (or Gary Stu) if you will.  Nothing interesting is ever really done with the 80s stuff, and it's really mostly just name dropping or describing how something happened in a movie or game.  He goes well outside the 80s before and after with references as well, really it's just a geek affirmation piece, you like this thing right, well you know what it's cool to like it!   The world both real and virtual are poorly thought out and don't hold up to any kind of scrutiny either, Oasis also has a really harsh death penalty for a game riddled with game breaking items, oops some random dude just blew up the planet you were questing on for giggles, time to roll a new guy.   I say all this as someone that grew up in the 80s and loves most of the things he references.

You are correct, its not a great piece of literature.  But then its not meant to be, its literary fluff akin to a summer popcorn movie.  After reading the various opinions on the book, I went into it with the same mind set I do with a summer movie.  Dont overthink it, accept it for what it is and allow the entertainment factor to grab hold.  Is it a great book?  No.  Was it a fun book, yes.    If I had read it with an analytical mind set, I would have hated the weak dialog, the uninspired and derivative world construction, the drab overblown sooo very cliche villainous corporation, with its equally cliche "enforcer", the in your face political over tones and the very predictible plot threads.  Nope, its not a great book at all but it is a fun one.  If youre one of those who just cant look past the obvious structure flaws, this is definitely not the book for you.  If you can let the brain go on auto drive for awhile, you can enjoy this book.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 05, 2012, 12:25:28 PM

You are correct, its not a great piece of literature.  But then its not meant to be, its literary fluff akin to a summer popcorn movie.  After reading the various opinions on the book, I went into it with the same mind set I do with a summer movie.  Dont overthink it, accept it for what it is and allow the entertainment factor to grab hold.  Is it a great book?  No.  Was it a fun book, yes.    If I had read it with an analytical mind set, I would have hated the weak dialog, the uninspired and derivative world construction, the drab overblown sooo very cliche villainous corporation, with its equally cliche "enforcer", the in your face political over tones and the very predictible plot threads.  Nope, its not a great book at all but it is a fun one.  If youre one of those who just cant look past the obvious structure flaws, this is definitely not the book for you.  If you can let the brain go on auto drive for awhile, you can enjoy this book.

Right but should we settle for dreck like Transformers 2 when we could have stuff like The Avengers?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 05, 2012, 12:48:58 PM

Right but should we settle for dreck like Transformers 2 when we could have stuff like The Avengers?

That is not an apt comparison at all. 

There are plenty of Transformers 2 level books out there.

You seem to have been expecting a 2001 but instead found yourself watching Back to the Future.

Or, really, it's more akin to another Zemeckis film: Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  There's a lot of exposition in that.  The plot isn't nearly as strong as the noir films it's trying to emulate.  But it doesn't need any of that.  The story and characters are interesting enough but are elevated by all the animated characters you get excited to see.  But, as in this book, it all comes together in something totally enjoyable.

When you're surprised that so many other people seem to be really enjoying it, maybe you should wonder what you missed instead of assuming we're all idiots.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 05, 2012, 03:22:55 PM

You seem to have been expecting a 2001 but instead found yourself watching Back to the Future.

Or, really, it's more akin to another Zemeckis film: Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  There's a lot of exposition in that.  The plot isn't nearly as strong as the noir films it's trying to emulate.  But it doesn't need any of that.  The story and characters are interesting enough but are elevated by all the animated characters you get excited to see.  But, as in this book, it all comes together in something totally enjoyable.

When you're surprised that so many other people seem to be really enjoying it, maybe you should wonder what you missed instead of assuming we're all idiots.

I was surprised at the lack of criticism on this board not in general, I've seen plenty of people that agree with with me on the other boards I frequent.   Also way to try and apply a position to me that I didn't take to make it easier for you defend your case,  I certainly didn't go into the book with false expectations other than expecting a good fun book. 
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »

My reply wasnt meant as a judgement of people preferences.  There are people who hold entertainment to a higher standard than I tend to.  Im not implying theres anything wrong with that, my comments were meant for those who may be on the fence, that while Ready, Player One has its flaws, it can be a fun entertaining read.  You just have to accept it for what it is. BTW comparing Ready Player One to Transformers 2 is like saying Alien is in the same league as Ice Pirates.   

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 05, 2012, 04:35:43 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 05, 2012, 03:22:55 PM

I'm surprised there aren't more negative opinions in this thread as I found the book to be rather poor.  Along with the Bobisms the main character is a major Mary Sue (or Gary Stu) if you will.  Nothing interesting is ever really done with the 80s stuff, and it's really mostly just name dropping or describing how something happened in a movie or game.  He goes well outside the 80s before and after with references as well, really it's just a geek affirmation piece, you like this thing right, well you know what it's cool to like it!   The world both real and virtual are poorly thought out and don't hold up to any kind of scrutiny either, Oasis also has a really harsh death penalty for a game riddled with game breaking items, oops some random dude just blew up the planet you were questing on for giggles, time to roll a new guy.   I say all this as someone that grew up in the 80s and loves most of the things he references.

You are correct, its not a great piece of literature.  But then its not meant to be, its literary fluff akin to a summer popcorn movie.  After reading the various opinions on the book, I went into it with the same mind set I do with a summer movie.  Dont overthink it, accept it for what it is and allow the entertainment factor to grab hold.  Is it a great book?  No.  Was it a fun book, yes.    If I had read it with an analytical mind set, I would have hated the weak dialog, the uninspired and derivative world construction, the drab overblown sooo very cliche villainous corporation, with its equally cliche "enforcer", the in your face political over tones and the very predictible plot threads.  Nope, its not a great book at all but it is a fun one.  If youre one of those who just cant look past the obvious structure flaws, this is definitely not the book for you.  If you can let the brain go on auto drive for awhile, you can enjoy this book.

Or, really, it's more akin to another Zemeckis film: Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  There's a lot of exposition in that.  The plot isn't nearly as strong as the noir films it's trying to emulate.  But it doesn't need any of that.  The story and characters are interesting enough but are elevated by all the animated characters you get excited to see.  But, as in this book, it all comes together in something totally enjoyable.

I was surprised at the lack of criticism on this board not in general, I've seen plenty of people that agree with with me on the other boards I frequent.   Also way to try and apply a position to me that I didn't take to make it easier for you defend your case,  I certainly didn't go into the book with false expectations other than expecting a good fun book.  

Well, I did say "It seems like..." but continue to throw out the rest of what I said if it helps your case.

The book has been popular with critics, has a 4.5/5 rating on Amazon, and a 4.29 on Good Reads and word of mouth continues to build for it.  And it's still selling well.

The point is, it's popular and well-reviewed.  That does not equal Transformers 2.

I'm sorry it didn't click for you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:59:50 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »

I listened to the audiobook version.  Wil was the perfect choice to be narrator.  I enjoyed the book overall, but it was a bit spotty.  Growing up in the '80s made the book interesting to me, but if I hadn't grown up then, I don't think the book would have done much for me.  Some of it was silly, but still enjoyable.  The villain was one dimensional at best but conflict is necessary, I suppose.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »

A flawed but fun book.  The comparison to Transformers 2 or 3 doesn't really work because those movies had no redeeming qualities, and Ready Player One has somewhere between "some" and "many", depending on taste.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »

Apparently, Ernie Cline has been shopping his new book around for film rights.  It's called Armada.  They've been trying to keep it a secret, but AICN found this image:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Are you freaking kidding me?  Space Invaders vs Galaga?!  Awesome.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: