http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 01:36:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [book] One Second After  (Read 969 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2008, 04:05:13 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765317583/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219709433&sr=8-1

Does that book sound good to anyone? I found a link to it from the Wing Commander CIC site. heresa snipet for those that dont like to go to links..

Overnight, the world's trains, planes, cars, trucks, phones, computers, power plants and electrical equipment come to a sudden screeching stop. Nor will they ever start up again. The world is in chaos, and everyone wants to know why. Some evangelicals believe the Rapture is at hand. Other fundamentalists see the Cloven Hoof of Satan in the catastrophe. UFO cultists preach the coming of intergalactic aliens. Secularists envisage a host of earthly enemies - Chinese communists, Islamic fanatics, eco-terrorists, and energy industry magnates. New Agers prophesize the dreaded Mayan apocalypse. Is it aliens from space or is it the apocalypse? Human violence or the wrath of an angry god?

Whatever the cause, the modern age has come to an end. Looting, food riots, and global insurrection are the order of the day, and the New Dark Ages are suddenly upon us.

Can this global anarchy be stopped? Can the End Time be reversed?

A small mountain village in the American South is humankind’s last best hope.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »

A small mountain village in the American South is humankind’s last best hope.

dbt stars in a book?  cool!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
GGIronSkull
Gaming Trend Reader

Up the Irons!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »

This premise is almost exactly like the book "Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling.  Stirling has this as a three book series with a 4th (set almost 20 years after the first three) on the way I believe.  I enjoyed them greatly if you can get past a couple of spots, though it does fit in with his overall story arc.

Computer-A-Thon:   C.A.T.

3 days of sleep deprivation, Thai Food, and trash talking, all centered around making the network gods smile upon us so that we may smoke, frag, hack, kerplode, and otherwise beat upon your friends in a basement in Idaho.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:08:45 PM »

I'm interested. I'll suggest my library buy it. The premise, as GGIronSkull pointed out, has been used before but as always it's what the writer does with it that ultimately counts. I've read stories and novels with similar starting points - and that's without including post-apocalyptic war fiction but it's been a long while. Anyhow, I'll check it out. Thanks.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 09:28:55 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 26, 2008, 04:05:13 PM

Overnight, the world's trains, planes, cars, trucks, phones, computers, power plants and electrical equipment come to a sudden screeching stop. Nor will they ever start up again.

If the author wrote the blurb, I'm pretty sure I couldn't stand to read it. How does "Nor" fit there?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 26, 2008, 09:28:55 PM

Overnight, the world's trains, planes, cars, trucks, phones, computers, power plants and electrical equipment come to a sudden screeching stop. Nor will they ever start up again.

If the author wrote the blurb, I'm pretty sure I couldn't stand to read it. How does "Nor" fit there?

Between "stop." and "will"  Tongue

That blurb reminds me of Dan Brown. 
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 01:10:01 AM »

Quote from: GGIronSkull on August 26, 2008, 04:20:46 PM

This premise is almost exactly like the book "Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling.  Stirling has this as a three book series with a 4th (set almost 20 years after the first three) on the way I believe.  I enjoyed them greatly if you can get past a couple of spots, though it does fit in with his overall story arc.

Actually the Dies the Fire trilogy is done.  The next series of four books (20 years later) has one out now and the 2nd coming next month.  And the three "prequels/side story" to the Dies the Fire series have been out a long time.  /booknerd off smile  So this is a huge ripoff of a long existing work.  I'll probably read it anyway.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 01:49:05 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 26, 2008, 09:28:55 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 01:56:18 AM »

Quote from: ericb on August 27, 2008, 01:10:01 AM

Quote from: GGIronSkull on August 26, 2008, 04:20:46 PM

Actually the Dies the Fire trilogy is done.  The next series of four books (20 years later) has one out now and the 2nd coming next month.  And the three "prequels/side story" to the Dies the Fire series have been out a long time.  /booknerd off smile  So this is a huge ripoff of a long existing work.  I'll probably read it anyway.

Sounds like he subscribes to the Robert Jordan school of writing.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 03:16:56 AM »

From what I understand, the author almost never ever writes the blurb.  That's marketing's job. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 03:56:34 AM »

oh, wait, it's done by the same guy who did The Lost Regiment series, which was pretty good.   I may read it, too bad it's not due until March 17 2009.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 05:50:07 AM »

Not that interested in reading this book, but it reminds me that I need to read a book called The Road, which I hear is a particularly horrifying take on post apocalyptic fiction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: