http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 06:48:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [BBC/HBO]Ricky Gervais New Comedy 'Life's Too Short'  (Read 565 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »

Sounds exactly like Extras(although i guess not a bad thing),lots of cameos by big stars and revolves around a Talent Agency,and Ricky Gevais described it as a Fake Documentary(so,that's Extras and The Office then  Tongue)

so,what's the difference this time around?,well the Talent Agency is run by Warwick Davis(Willow,Return of the Jedi)and it's an agency for Dwarfs

cameo's by:
Helena Bonham Carter
Sandra Bullock
Steve Carell
Johnny Depp
Sophie Ellis-Bextor
Sylvester McCoy
Liam Neeson
Sting

from the Wiki page
"It’s a single camera sitcom following the trials and tribulations of ‘Warwick Davis, showbiz dwarf.’ Warwick is playing a twisted version of himself. He’s quite conceited and arrogant and manipulative. And he runs a [small person] talent agency, which he does in real life. Me and Steve Merchant pop up as ourselves, just to add some realism. Warwick comes round and says, ‘Doing any more Extras? Got any

see this video here of Ricky 'introducing' us to Warwick(NSFW..some swearing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39iPmE2p52I

although it does sound similar to his past projects i am looking forward to seeing Ricky in a TV series again,his films haven't exactly been fantastic(they are fine,just not mega great flicks),and i have a lot of love for The Office and Extras

EDIT:
found a couple more (these are fine for work)

not sure if this is Life's Too Short related,but it is Ricky,Warwick and Elmo  icon_lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw2o6MM9hTI&feature=related

the people walking on and off in this vid below are British 'stars',so i guess it wouldn't have the same effect in US
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyrOr24hdEY&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:54:41 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:41:42 AM »

WOO!
I am watching some of the related media to the show. Holy crap does this have 'awesome' written alllll over it.
Crap that first video linked is awesome as hell.
I love me some Ricky/Merchant stuff.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »

When does this start?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 22, 2011, 02:06:00 PM

When does this start?

all i've got at the moment is from the wiki page

The show will air on BBC Two in the autumn.[clarification needed] Premium cable channel, HBO has picked up the US rights and will air the series in 2012.[2]

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »

just a friendly reminder that this starts in the UK tonight at 9.30pm on BBC2

there is a write up here

Based on the first two episodes, Life’s Too Short makes for a hat-trick of Gervais/Merchant series triumphs. It brilliantly combines The Office’s deadpan, cringeworthy humour with Extras’ gallery of celebrities lampooning themselves.

I have to sky+(TiVO) it,so will no doubt get round to it tomorrow..maybe(sorry,Skyrim an' all)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:24:59 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 02:59:52 PM »

This gets a special this weekend,Val Kilmer will feature(oh yes,a Willow reunion!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6PTprOTK6w&feature=youtu.be

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:57:52 AM »

I have to post that i really enjoyed the special,Warick is no longer an asshole as he was in the first series and is a decent guy now,gets on with his ex,he himself has a new girlfriend and instead of steeling all his clients roles(Doc from Snow White production),he now tries his hardest to do good by them

Val Kilmer pops in to offer Warwick to star and executive produce Willow 2(The Magic is Back),but needs 5 grand from Warwick...which Warwick doesn't have but says he does,so rest of the episode is him trying to raise that

Val Kilmer was a blast
Spoiler for Hiden:
Appearing to people(sometimes complete strangers in restaurant's)in a batman cowl and asking "who am i?"..and they answer Christian Bale or Michael Keaton..in other words they answer every Batman actor except "Val Kilmer",he even gets Adam West as an answer one time

good stuff on Kilmer's part
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:03:33 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 12:54:19 PM »

I hope to see this at some point.  I couldn't really make it through the series, I have to say.  It had some really good moments, but as a whole, it didn't really work.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »

I really enjoyed the show.  I thought it was consistently funny from beginning to end.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 03:29:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 05, 2013, 02:20:25 PM

I really enjoyed the show.  I thought it was consistently funny from beginning to end.

I'm with you on this one. My favorite scenes always involved his assistant. The time where she suggests that he become a chimney sweep or a pedophile detective is pure gold.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 03:35:39 PM »

So what you're suggesting is essentially a dwarf on a pole?

icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 05, 2013, 12:54:19 PM

I hope to see this at some point.  I couldn't really make it through the series, I have to say.  It had some really good moments, but as a whole, it didn't really work.

I think a lot of other people thought the same which is why Gervais and co went straight to a special instead of the usual second series(like Office,Extras,Idiot Abroad),i really liked the series but Warwick being a dick never really gelled with me...I am really glad they changed his character for this special

There is also the UK Vs The World thing as well,a lot of the characters in the show are Ex-UK stars who were really big in the 80s/90s...so i have quite wondered how that would work outside UK(Extras did okay though and had a lot of UK TV stars)...Again in this special,Warwick seems to go out of his way to explain who each of them are and what they did

Johnny Depp's little comment into his tape recorder when meeting Warwick to get inspiration as he is playing a Dwarf in a new movie..i think he says very quickly "Creepy little walk" was a funny part for me

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: