http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 09:02:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [BBC]Sherlock  (Read 13562 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2012, 03:14:15 AM »

OK, Scandal was great.  loved the new version of Irene Adler  thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 10, 2012, 03:14:15 AM

OK, Scandal was great.  loved the new version of Irene Adler  thumbsup

Thumbs up for me, too.  She's a tough character to pull off (the RD Jr movie did not do it), and they absolutely nailed it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2012, 12:31:11 PM »

Oh come on - you guys just liked her clothes!

That said - She is awesome!

A new one
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2012, 08:45:12 PM »

The actress playing Irene Adler (Lara Pulver) was also in season 4 of True Blood playing Claudine. Surprisingly, she was more clothed on True Blood!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2012, 10:24:37 PM »

Yeah, I loved Scandal. I could have done without the little coda at the end. Would have been more poignant without it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on May 10, 2012, 10:24:37 PM

Yeah, I loved Scandal. I could have done without the little coda at the end. Would have been more poignant without it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I figured she wasn't dead, and the way Sherlock was acting I deduced he knew that Watson was lying and that he knew what really happened.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2012, 02:53:27 AM »

This series is beyond excellent.  I cannot wait to see the new american updated Sherlock.  Cumberbatch and Freeman have set the bar so high, its going to be amazing if US tv can come even close to this.  I expect it will be way too vanilla to last more than a season, unfortunately.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on May 11, 2012, 02:53:27 AM

This series is beyond excellent.  I cannot wait to see the new american updated Sherlock.  Cumberbatch and Freeman have set the bar so high, its going to be amazing if US tv can come even close to this.  I expect it will be way too vanilla to last more than a season, unfortunately.

as much as i am looking forward to it,i too am honestly not expecting too much,not because its American or because its set in America,but because Johnny Lee Miller is in the title role...JLM is alright to watch in some things but its usually 'turn off your brain' stuff

and then there is Lucy Lui as his sidekick(Joan Watson) saywhat Tongue
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:02:29 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 11, 2012, 08:58:00 AM

Quote from: rshetts2 on May 11, 2012, 02:53:27 AM

This series is beyond excellent.  I cannot wait to see the new american updated Sherlock.  Cumberbatch and Freeman have set the bar so high, its going to be amazing if US tv can come even close to this.  I expect it will be way too vanilla to last more than a season, unfortunately.

as much as i am looking forward to it,i too am honestly not expecting too much,not because its American or because its set in America,but because Johnny Lee Miller is in the title role...JLM is alright to watch in some things but its usually 'turn off your brain' stuff

and then there is Lucy Lui as his sidekick(Joan Watson) saywhat Tongue

watch, it'll be more actiony.  Kung Fu Watson!

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2012, 06:27:23 AM »

I just rewatched A Scandal in Belgravia with my daugther and she loved it. This show consistently has the highest production values I ever saw on the television - What awesome sound, picture, editing and obvious love for the background material - Simply brilliant.

MO - I noticed this is part of some sort of special BBC series - Is that anything you know about?

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2012, 08:28:04 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 15, 2012, 06:27:23 AM

I just rewatched A Scandal in Belgravia with my daugther and she loved it. This show consistently has the highest production values I ever saw on the television - What awesome sound, picture, editing and obvious love for the background material - Simply brilliant.

MO - I noticed this is part of some sort of special BBC series - Is that anything you know about?

I'm sorry,i am not sure what you mean

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2012, 08:34:10 AM »

There's a logo at the end of each Sherlock show - High something something...gah - Cant remember it now.
It seems like some sort of BBC type of show... Guess I'll have to check up on what exactly it says once I get home :-)

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2012, 08:35:43 AM »

Masterpiece! Thats what it says - Masterpiece Theater.

Any idea what that is, and if there are more shows in it?

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2012, 09:03:30 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 15, 2012, 08:35:43 AM

Ahh,i think that is the PBS platform in the US for these shows,they show BBC shows on there as well,Masterpiece Theatre is not a BBC thing

they had the same for the first series as well and put clues in the credits(see page 2 of this thread),again the clues in the credits thing is not a BBC thing,i am not sure if they did the same for series 2..they also show other Detective shows like Poirot under the Masterpiece title

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpiece_%28TV_series%29

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 15, 2012, 09:03:30 AM

Quote from: Razgon on May 15, 2012, 08:35:43 AM

Ahh,i think that is the PBS platform in the US for these shows,they show BBC shows on there as well,Masterpiece Theatre is not a BBC thing

they had the same for the first series as well and put clues in the credits(see page 2 of this thread),again the clues in the credits thing is not a BBC thing,i am not sure if they did the same for series 2..they also show other Detective shows like Poirot under the Masterpiece title

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpiece_%28TV_series%29

Yes, Masterpiece Theater has been on PBS for decades (they showed Upstairs Downstairs when it was first on, for example, in the 70s).  They've had a ton of success with Downton Abbey just recently.

Originally, Mystery was its own animal (hosted for a long time by Emma Peel Diana Rigg) with an awesome Edward Gorey animation that you can still see flashes of in the new credits, now that it's been absorbed by Masterpiece Theater.

They typically take BBC shows and relaunch them here.  For a long time, this was the only way to see British television (hell, PBS was where many of us saw Monty Python, though obviously not through Masterpiece).  Then you could get some on VHS, then DVD, but those would only get published after some success on PBS, I think.  Now, however, they've got direct competition from BBC America, so I wonder what it's costing them to get shows like Sherlock.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »

Just watched the Reichenbach episode, and while he was better this go 'round, I'm still not a fan of this Moriarty.  And, frankly, it's all the performance.  The voice is ridiculous.  He's too posey (I can't count the number of times he looked up from under his brow).   There are moments where he seems to have a genuine creepiness (there was one moment in the last episode toward the end where his eye twitched in a certain way, and it was eerie), but those are countered with moments of the actor seeming to say, "I'll make my voice do this here because it will be weird and Moriarty is weird" as opposed to finding some truth to what he's doing.

At one point he says something about being crazy, and it struck me that it wasn't surprising at all.  We assume he's crazy because he's been acting crazy (although, down the road, it may turn out that it's all an act).  To me, it would have been much more effective to have a cold, calculating Moriarty, and suddenly it becomes chillingly clear that he is also completely batshit insane.

Anyway, still a great run.  Loved Irene Adler.  The Hound ep was cool.  And there were some great things about the third one, even some with Moriarty.  I just wish he didn't bug me so much.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2012, 12:06:25 AM »

I think that having two calculating, cold geniuses facing off against each other would have been a little redundant. Moriarty is a good foil to Sherlock precisely because he IS unpredictable and crazy, while still being calculating.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2012, 04:17:38 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on May 27, 2012, 12:06:25 AM

I think that having two calculating, cold geniuses facing off against each other would have been a little redundant. Moriarty is a good foil to Sherlock precisely because he IS unpredictable and crazy, while still being calculating.

Wasn't a problem in the originals.

Sherlock is already quite a bit manic in this.  A slow and methodical Moriarty would have been a counter as well.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2012, 04:49:35 AM »

Eh, to each their own. I can see why someone would think that Moriarty is a little over-the-top in this one, and he does take large bites out of the scenery at some points. It worked for me, but maybe not for everyone.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2012, 05:20:55 PM »

I actually like this portrayal of Moriarty, because he is so over the top.  Its a flip from the original Moriarty, who craved complete anonymity.  This one demands to be noticed and recognized for the extreme genius he really is and is prepared to win at all costs.  The first wanted to hide and didnt want to openly confront Holmes while this one goes out of his way to play with Sherlock.  Ive seen Doyles work rehashed a million times the great thing about this series is that it keeps the basis of the Holmes mythology while occasionally turning things on its head.     

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2012, 02:51:33 AM »

totally forgot to post this after I finished watching season 2.  yet another awesome 3 episodes!

the BBC version of Moriarty grew on me, but I'm almost wondering if that was really Moriarty and
Spoiler for Hiden:
not really an actor, like the journalist said he was.  I'm almost expecting a gender bending twist and finding out she is the real Moriarty.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2012, 09:51:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2012, 02:51:33 AM

totally forgot to post this after I finished watching season 2.  yet another awesome 3 episodes!

the BBC version of Moriarty grew on me, but I'm almost wondering if that was really Moriarty and
Spoiler for Hiden:
not really an actor, like the journalist said he was.  I'm almost expecting a gender bending twist and finding out she is the real Moriarty.

if it's(vaguely) going off the books

Spoiler for Hiden:
you probably know this anyway-Then that is indeed the last we see of Moriarty,in the books,even though there were some 60 adventures,Moriarty was actually only in 2 of the Sherlock Holmes stories The Reichenbach Falls is where Moriarty met his fate

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 16, 2012, 09:51:17 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
you probably know this anyway-Then that is indeed the last we see of Moriarty,in the books,even though there were some 60 adventures,Moriarty was actually only in 2 of the Sherlock Holmes stories The Reichenbach Falls is where Moriarty met his fate

Spoiler for Hiden:
yeah, I remember that, but they're doing just enough different I think that Moriarty may not be gone.  plus I think one of the showrunners mentioned the possibility of Moriarty returning later.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 16, 2012, 09:51:17 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

While true, CeeKay's guess would make me quite happy.  Or some variation on it.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
Irene Adler could be the puppetmaster as well, IMO.

I just watched Game of Shadows last night.  Seeing Rachel McAdams made me realize again how tough Irene Adler is to pull off.  And how well the show did it.

She was so lame,
Spoiler for Hiden:
they killed her off screen with a lame little "aaaah" and no one really cared.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »

About Game of Shadows Irene Adler

Spoiler for Hiden:
Thats because she probably isn't really dead, and will be back in Sherlock Holmes 3.

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 16, 2012, 03:47:09 PM

About Game of Shadows Irene Adler

Spoiler for Hiden:
Thats because she probably isn't really dead, and will be back in Sherlock Holmes 3.

Spoiler for Hiden:
We wondered about that when it happened, but was there any indication of it in the movie itself? 

Also, is this confirmed in any way?  I've only seen Ritchie, Law and RDJ confirmed for a possible setting in America.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2012, 10:08:55 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
No, not that I've seen. I just cant see any other reason as to why she would die off-screen. At least they have hedged the bets so that she *can* come back

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2012, 03:23:27 AM »

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2012, 05:55:32 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2012, 03:23:27 AM

The Giant Rat of Sumatra!  Ok that will be cool!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2012, 04:35:18 AM »

Finally caught up on season 2 on Netflix ... Wow what a finale. My mind is blown. icon_cool

I might still get it on DVD just to be supportive :-)

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2012, 04:05:19 AM »

Was finally able to see the first episode of this.

I liked it a lot. Never seen the SH guy before though. Going to try to catch the rest now.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2012, 04:59:26 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on November 13, 2012, 04:05:19 AM

Was finally able to see the first episode of this.

I liked it a lot. Never seen the SH guy before though. Going to try to catch the rest now.
Cumberbatch's ( Sherlock ) career has really taken off so you'll be seeing more of him outside of the series.  He plays the main villain in the new Star Trek and does the voice and motion capture for Smaug and the Necromancer in The Hobbit.   I just hope his career doesnt get so big it effectively ends the series because Sherlock is the best thing airing on TV right now.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2013, 11:15:40 PM »

season 3 production has started.

Because I can,
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2013, 04:51:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 11, 2013, 11:15:40 PM

Excellent. Now to see how they try to explain
Spoiler for Hiden:
the end of season 2 with 'Holmes' jumping off the roof. I am fully expecting it to be a pretty silly explanation.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2013, 08:29:33 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on March 12, 2013, 04:51:17 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 11, 2013, 11:15:40 PM

Excellent. Now to see how they try to explain
Spoiler for Hiden:
the end of season 2 with 'Holmes' jumping off the roof. I am fully expecting it to be a pretty silly explanation.

Spoiler for Hiden:
wasn't it all about misdirection,Watson stumbling(into a cyclist?..can't remember) and that female Morgue doctor in on it,Rubbish Truck parked right there(Open Trash truck),blah blah etc etc

EDIT:
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/sherlock/21050/explaining-the-ending-of-sherlock-series-2

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »

Yeah I read that before. Still think it's going to be some cheesy explanation or glossed over quickly.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »

Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman signed on for Series 4

Here's something to put a spring in your step: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman have already signed on for Sherlock series 4...

"We've already agreed to two more series". Those were the seven words Benedict Cumberbatch uttered today that set a sizeable section of the internet afire. Speaking at this afternoon's South Bank Show Awards, the Sherlock and Star Trek: Into Darkness actor revealed, "All I know at the moment is that I'm doing these three and another three".

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2013, 02:55:57 AM »

It had been awhile since Ive heard anything about season 3.  I watched The Reichenbach Fall tonite  ( damn what a great episode! ) and decided to check on season 3 news.   A return date has been set for October 31st.  Of course thats the BBC date,  Im not sure when it airs in the US yet but at least its not too terribly far off. Looking forwards to the return

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2013, 10:11:05 PM »

PBS has said 2014 for series 3.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2013, 06:23:16 PM »

I hate the delay but on the plus side Ive bought the first 2 seasons on bluray and they release these right after the show ends its run on BBC so Ill likely have it in November sometime.

On a related note, Mark Gatiss, who plays Mycroft on Sherlock has locked down a role on Game of Thrones. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: