http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 09:07:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Advice] Vasectomy  (Read 2057 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2010, 04:49:17 PM »

Ugh, this is something that I'm not looking forward to having done, but it's something that I have to do.  So, I have a consultation appointment next Friday, and I want to get some advice from the guys that have had this procedure done.  Like I told a friend of mine, there aren't many things that scare me, but this does.

Anyway, how was your experience?  Did the doctor use local anesthetic or put you under?  How did you feel afterwards?  Etc, etc. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »

the only adivce I have is to split a case of whiskey with the doc before the operation to settle everyone's nerves.

or was that don't split a case...  no, I think I got it right,

icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »

Seriously, I'll check amongst some old friends and friends' husbands.

Non-seriously, Michael Scott of The Office would say...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1031477/quotes?qt0524916
Michael Scott: When I said I wanted to have kids and you said you wanted me to have a vasectomy, what did I do? And then when you said that you might want to have kids and I wasn't so sure, who had the vasectomy reversed? And then when you said you definitely didn't want to have kids, who had it reversed back? Snip, snap, snip, snap, snip, snap. I did. You have no idea the physical toll that 3 vasectomies have on a person.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »

On a related note, I'm pushing 50.
Does having this procedure make any sense at my age?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 05:00:13 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 16, 2010, 04:55:38 PM

Michael Scott: When I said I wanted to have kids and you said you wanted me to have a vasectomy, what did I do? And then when you said that you might want to have kids and I wasn't so sure, who had the vasectomy reversed? And then when you said you definitely didn't want to have kids, who had it reversed back? Snip, snap, snip, snap, snip, snap. I did. You have no idea the physical toll that 3 vasectomies have on a person.

icon_lol icon_lol
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 05:38:27 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on July 16, 2010, 04:57:08 PM

It entirely depends on how new the parking lot is rather than how old your car is.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 05:58:49 PM »

Ask Tony Randall and Larry King.

Edit: Or what Purge said.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 06:02:44 PM »

Quote from: Laner on July 16, 2010, 05:58:49 PM

Wow....never thought I'd be lumped in with those guys.
Shit.....I'm old......
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on July 16, 2010, 04:55:38 PM

Seriously, I'll check amongst some old friends and friends' husbands.

I died a little inside after reading that.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 06:05:57 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on July 16, 2010, 06:02:44 PM

Quote from: Laner on July 16, 2010, 05:58:49 PM

Wow....never thought I'd be lumped in with those guys.
Shit.....I'm old......

lol... no offense intended.  I was just illustrating that your swimmers can still find the target at any age.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »

I resolved about six months ago to get the snip; haven't quite got the balls to do it yet.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 06:11:31 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 16, 2010, 04:49:17 PM

Anyway, how was your experience?  Did the doctor use local anesthetic or put you under?  How did you feel afterwards?  Etc, etc. 

My doc told me that I could either get a local or be knocked out.  I asked my doc to describe the procedure and when he got to the part about burning the inside of my sack with a hot iron I told him to knock me the fuck out.

Regarding the actual procedure... I remember the nurse stating, "we are going to start the anaesthetic now."  That's it.  Next thing I remember is waking up.

They sent me home with a bottle of oxy-somethingorothers.   The rest of the day I lay in bed with my sack resting on a bag of frozen peas which got swapped out every now and then for a bag of frozen corn and then back again.

The next day I started feeling some pain so I took one of the oxywhatsits.  About twenty minutes later I flushed the remaining pills down the toilet as they made me dizzy and sick to my stomach.  The rest of the day was spent reading, watching movies, and changing the bags of frozen  veggies that my coin purse had come to call home.

The procedure was on a Friday and I was back to work on Monday.   I had some minor persistent pain for a few days and the doc recommended I switch from briefs to boxers.  I compromised and bought a package of boxer-briefs.  Been using those ever since.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on July 16, 2010, 06:11:31 PM

Anyway, how was your experience?  Did the doctor use local anesthetic or put you under?  How did you feel afterwards?  Etc, etc.  

My doc told me that I could either get a local or be knocked out.  I asked my doc to describe the procedure and when he got to the part about burning the inside of my sack with a hot iron I told him to knock me the fuck out.

Regarding the actual procedure... I remember the nurse stating, "we are going to start the anaesthetic now."  That's it.  Next thing I remember is waking up.

They sent me home with a bottle of oxy-somethingorothers.   The rest of the day I lay in bed with my sack resting on a bag of frozen peas which got swapped out every now and then for a bag of frozen corn and then back again.

The next day I started feeling some pain so I took one of the oxywhatsits.  About twenty minutes later I flushed the remaining pills down the toilet as they made me dizzy and sick to my stomach.  The rest of the day was spent reading, watching movies, and changing the bags of frozen  veggies that my coin purse had come to call home.

The procedure was on a Friday and I was back to work on Monday.   I had some minor persistent pain for a few days and the doc recommended I switch from briefs to boxers.  I compromised and bought a package of boxer-briefs.  Been using those ever since.

I heard that after you get the *snip*, you'll occasionally get a pain in your balls like someone kicked you in the balls, for the rest of your life. True?
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 06:27:14 PM »

It's been four years and no, nothing like that has ever happened.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on July 16, 2010, 06:27:14 PM

I heard that way back in the Gone Gold days. deadzone, I think it was. Either the technique has improved, or deadzone is just one unlucky dude.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 06:30:24 PM »

With a name like Deadzone you wouldn't think that would be an issue.  smile

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on July 16, 2010, 06:11:31 PM

Thanks, TK!  That makes me feel a little better, though I think I will get them to knock me out.  Fuck that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 06:42:57 PM »

It's those pine needles you have to watch out for.

Because I can,
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 06:50:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 16, 2010, 06:42:57 PM

It's those pine needles you have to watch out for.

Ain't that the truth.

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »

I had it done last December.  The actual procedure was remarkably fast and painless.  Local anesthetic, and they gave me a Valium to take about an hour beforehand.  Just to mellow things out. 

I don't know if there are still different ways of doing things, but you want the method where they puncture, extract all the plumbing outside, do the business, then stuff it back in and stitch it shut.  There's hardly any bleeding, and it heals within about 2-3 days.  According to my doc, "the business" involved removing 1/4" or so of the line, cauterizing the ends, and stapling it shut.  So, many levels of redundancy.

Recovery was pretty easy.  Plan to sit down for a couple of days, wear support, and use ice for the first 12 hours or so.  Sleeping can be a bit uncomfortable unless you can sleep on your back.  The worst for me was the first unsupported shower a day later, the first time the boys hung free I apparently turned white and nearly passed out.  An athletic supporter is your best friend.

I'd say within a week I was completely recovered enough to go back to life as normal.  No pain, complications, or anything negative since then. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 07:30:28 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on July 16, 2010, 07:23:59 PM

I had it done last December.  The actual procedure was remarkably fast and painless.  Local anesthetic, and they gave me a Valium to take about an hour beforehand.  Just to mellow things out. 

I don't know if there are still different ways of doing things, but you want the method where they puncture, extract all the plumbing outside, do the business, then stuff it back in and stitch it shut.  There's hardly any bleeding, and it heals within about 2-3 days.  According to my doc, "the business" involved removing 1/4" or so of the line, cauterizing the ends, and stapling it shut.  So, many levels of redundancy.

Recovery was pretty easy.  Plan to sit down for a couple of days, wear support, and use ice for the first 12 hours or so.  Sleeping can be a bit uncomfortable unless you can sleep on your back.  The worst for me was the first unsupported shower a day later, the first time the boys hung free I apparently turned white and nearly passed out.  An athletic supporter is your best friend.

I'd say within a week I was completely recovered enough to go back to life as normal.  No pain, complications, or anything negative since then. 

I'm guessing it's also a little while until you add the 'jackhammer' back into your bedroom toolkit, eh?  Tongue
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »

I had it done a few years ago with no long term ill effects.   They offered Valuum but I turned it down.  I chose a doctor that did laser procedures as it has less pain and a shorter healing time.  They use a small clamp like Boudreux described, but it was all internal.  They used a laser to remove a section of the vas and then burned the ends to prevent it from reconnecting.  The procedure was shockingly quick.  In roughly 15 minutes I was walking out of the office.  The pain was minimal, even days later.  For the first few days I used bags of peas to ease the swelling.  For roughly a year I had extremely infrequent slight pain, but those have completely subsided.  It's a pretty easy procedure and isn't as scary as people make it out to be.  

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »

They should use one of these...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 08:08:14 PM »

Mine was pretty quick - maybe 30 min.  I was sore for about a week (I took it pretty easy).  I did feel a sort of "hitching"/"tearing" pain on the sides every now and then for a couple of months, but that was it.  I think that was just due to unfortunate movements during the final phases of the healing process.  And yes, make sure you get multiple bags of peas/corn since you'll be rotating those alot.  All in all, not horrible experience (not great fun, but not horrible).

My friend on the other hand was miserable for about a month after his.  Not sure exactly why, but he was very sore for much longer than I was.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is YMMV.
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 08:29:38 PM »

Had mine done 3yrs ago. It was a local and the doc did it pretty quick with no problems.  Had a couple sharp pains after the local wore off but other then that I took a couple of days off just in case but didn't really need to.  It was a lot simpler then I thought it would be.

bob
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 08:42:09 PM »

Erm...my previous comment in this thread was not supposed to be "funny".  I just wanted everyone to know that.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 16, 2010, 06:10:54 PM

I resolved about six months ago to get the snip; haven't quite got the balls to do it yet.

If it was supposed to be funny, the joke would be that your wife hasn't handed you your balls to get them fixed.

(as far as mine are concerned, except on long distance cycling, they do not believe themselves to be broken).

hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 10:07:59 PM »

Have a Urologist do the procedure and if possible get recommendations from friends that have had it done. I had mine two years ago and the only thing that hurt at the start was the local. After 20 minutes, I was released and went home and began wearing a jock strap for about a week and being careful not do any lifting with my legs (a la squatting). I played Softball a week later and had no pain so long as I wore the jock strap. Two weeks later I could move around without any problems and a week after that I had to submit a sample to see if the boys were off line. When I got the okay, the Wife and I were back to doing it without a net.  icon_wink

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 10:15:48 PM »

Thanks for the responses, guys.  You've helped put my mind (mostly) at ease. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 10:32:07 PM »

just hope he doesn't sneeze at the wrong time!  and I had better not see pictures of this up on your facebook page  puke

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 11:31:50 PM »

When you guys mention you had a local, what exactly was that?  I think of the worst possible thing, a shot directly into the teabag. 
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on July 16, 2010, 11:31:50 PM

When you guys mention you had a local, what exactly was that?  I think of the worst possible thing, a shot directly into the teabag.  

That's exactly what it is - BUT, they did a local anesthetic swab first, so it deadened the skin, and the injection was into the skin which is actually pretty insensitive.  It's not like a needle directly into a testicle or anything.  It just felt like a quick pinch, nothing more. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:25:17 AM by Boudreaux » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 12:29:22 AM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on July 17, 2010, 12:23:17 AM

Quote from: Roguetad on July 16, 2010, 11:31:50 PM

When you guys mention you had a local, what exactly was that?  I think of the worst possible thing, a shot directly into the teabag. 

That's exactly what it is - BUT, they did a local anesthetic swab first, so it deadened the skin, and the injection was into the skin which is actually pretty insensitive.  It's not like a needle directly into a testicle or anything.  It just felt like a quick pinch, nothing more. 

I'll skip the tiny prick joke icon_twisted

so it's just

into

by one of these

?

Because I can,
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 12:46:22 AM »

So how long before you can play ball again? 
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 05:11:02 AM »

My doc's instruction was no funny business for a week.  I think.

Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2010, 05:33:05 AM »

Be a man and jog home!

Six years and no problems.
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2010, 09:37:43 AM »

Don't know if there are any Smodcast fans here, but Scott Moser had the procedure about a year ago and explains it here.

He eventually gets the whole story out from his point of view and answers a bunch of Kevin's questions.  It takes a while, but I found it interesting (and quite funny).  It might be a slog if you're not a fan.  Oh, and definitely NSFW.  smile

Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »

Remind me never to borrow any vegetables from you guys.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 01:05:09 PM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on July 17, 2010, 04:40:22 PM

Remind me never to borrow any vegetables from you guys.

I wouldn't borrow any liver either, 'na mean?
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 04:07:52 PM »

friend of mine got it and sat on ice pack for days afterwards
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: