http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 03:46:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [?] Buying an iPad Soon[  (Read 381 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:26:15 PM »

I've owned an Android Tablet (Acer Iconia Tab) for over a year now and have enjoyed it.  However, the company I work for has a number of different apps for us to use (Sales Force etc.) and most or iOS only, or the Android app is inferior.  Plus, I do use my tablet while making presentations to clients and the retina screen makes a pretty big difference (PDF presentations mainly, and text seems so much more crisp on the retina screen).

I had originally decided on getting a 16 gig iPad 3, but after doing more reading the past few days I've pretty much decided on the 16 gig iPad 4 (I know it isn't really called 4).   I'm not that concerned with storage as I stream all my music from Google Music, and really keep very few pictures on my tablets.  I normally have 3 or 4 games installed at any given time and the apps I use for work aren't very big.  I also tend to keep 4 or 5 TV episodes and maybe a movie on the tablet. 

1) Do you all think 16 gigs would be adequate?   

2)Transferring movie files to the Iconia is simple as it shows up as an external drive and you just drag and drop.  I realize I'll have to use iTunes (which I still despise) to move movie files to the iPad.  Will I also have to convert the files first?  (normally .avi or .mkv or .mp4 files).

3) I will also be purchasing a bluetooth keyboard and stylus.  I'm leaning toward the Logitech Ultrathink Keyboard cover and either the Bamboo or Jot stylus.  Any thoughts?

4)  I have a 4s so I'm familiar with iOS apps.  Any must have iPad only apps?

Thanks in advance.

*I also seem to remember reading something about using an xbox controller to play games on the iPad.  Anyone do this?

Go Gunners...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:51:38 AM »

Checking the memory on my 64 GB iPhone 4s, I have 40.3 GB used.  25.7 of that is music, 4.9 is pictures and video.  That leaves 9.7 for everything else presently installed.  And those are iPhone specific apps.  16GB might suit you, but it depends on how irritated you get on having to memory manage.  Personally, if I were buying, I'd go with at least the 32 GB.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:41:12 AM »

Agreed with Hadron - more is always better. I also have 64gb and don't have to worry - go with at least 32 to be safe rather than sorry.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:02:56 AM »

Had the original iPad, now the 3rd Generation. Both 16 GB. Never really had serious problems. I did run out of memory, but after deleting a couple of apps I don't really use, I'm good.

As for transferring media, I never use iTunes. I just toss them in my Dropbox folder and it shows up on the iPad. I favorite the ones I want to view offline when required. Easy.

As for conversion, the iPad's native video player only supports .mp4 or .mov, but if you don't want to convert, just buy a player that supports other formats. AVPlayerHD is a good one I hear.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:16:12 AM »

I have a 64GB iPad and it's pretty much always full, although most of that is video.  34.4 GBytes of Video, 10.2 GBytes of Music, about 400 MBytes of Comics and 400 MBytes of books.  Some of the fancier games can also take quite a bit of space.  For example, Ravenmark, a well regarded turn-based fantasy game takes damn close to 1 GByte by itself.  Battle Academy another well regarded turn-based wargame takes around 500 MBytes.  I'd imagine some of the flashier action games take up even more space, although I don't have any of them currently installed.

If you use video at all, it's going to chew up that 16 GByte very quickly.  But even without Video, 16 GBytes seems quite small to me.  Heck even a non-abridged audio book can take around 1 GByte by itself.

Personally I'm tempted to get the new 128 GByte iPad, although I think I'm going to try to holdout for the 5th Generation iPads to come out first.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:18:03 AM by ydejin » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »

16G is absolutely fine if you don't put music or video on it. I have 9.4G free on mine with around 25 apps installed.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:30:08 PM »

If it's strictly for enterprise use (e-mail/browsing), you're not into apps, or you're doing everything by pulling things off the cloud, 16GB might do but I think for most people it's not enough because it's not REALLY 16GB. You have to keep in mind a 16GB device maybe has maybe 13.7 GB available. I really don't store TV shows or movies on my iPad (just stream via Netflix, Crackle etc.) as they take up humongous amounts of space.

For most people I'd recommend at least a 32GB model (which again is more like 29GB usable) unless you're just desperate to save $100. Really if you're fretting about $100, you probably shouldn't be buying a $400-$500 tablet to begin with, right?  icon_smile

fwiw, my 64GB iPhone is 28.1GB used, 29.2GB available (my app frenzy has cooled in recent months and I've unsynched a lot of unused apps, vids, photos etc.). OTOH, my 32GB (really 27.55GB) is 27.5GB used/514MB available.

With my 32GB model (I have all my music and a ton of photos/vids on it) I am still often weeding out apps and unsynching photos to make room. I'll probably go for a 64GB model next year (actually about 57.3GB storage). I don't think I need 128GB (the recent new model). I wish they'd do something like a 48GB model but it probably doesn't make much marketing/cost production sense.

fwiw, I use my iPad with my iPhone 5's Hotspot function periodically and it works very well (connecting via WiFi or Bluetooth). I imagine it would work well with any smartphone's hotspot.
===========================
My only deep thought on keyboards is if at all possible (you might need an employee's permission to yank one out of its packaging and try it) is try it in the store. Don't just look at it on a web site and say "that's cool" and buy it. Well yeah you can return it, but it saves a lot of hassle to try these things in person.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:32:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 05:19:28 PM »

Have nothing to add other than Dante Rising has essentially a brand new 64GB one for sale.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on February 17, 2013, 05:19:28 PM

Thanks for bringing me up. Eco-logic, I'll sell my 4th generation 64GB ipad to you for $549. I haven't had time to place it on the Amazon marketplace yet. Mint condition.

1) I don't recommend 16GB to anyone. Always get more storage space, especially with the direction apps, comic and movies are moving. A few of my newest apps clock in at 3250-500mb. 1 HD moie can be anywhere from 1 to 6GB.  Get at least 32GB.

2) Unfortunately, you'll be converting most of your movies and TV episodes. ipad doesn't support MKV files, for example. Luckily, Handbrake (a free program) makes conversion simple, and it is easy to use. PM me if you have any problems using the program. It now supports subtitles, btw:
http://handbrake.fr/

3) The Logitech keyboard is good.

4) Man, almost EVERY app is better on the ipad. smile  It depends on what type of genres you like.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »

I wouldn't recommend a 16GB, but you know your own habits better than we do (and it is your money)
There are games that run over 2GB these days. I see people every week talking about having to make room for the next thing they want to buy and freaking out over how large files are. Seems silly to me.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »

I'm admittedly a digital pack rat, my 16gb iPad always feels constrained - even with just apps and ebooks/pdfs.  If I were on the market for a new one, I'd get the most storage I could afford.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 08:47:39 PM »

Thanks so much you all.  I will be getting at least 32 gigs now, hopefully 64 (Dante YGPM!!).

The apps I use most on my iPhone are Evernote, Tweetbot, Pulse,Tapatalk, Melodies (for Google Music), Chrome, Goodreads, Pocket & Sales Force Mobile.

Go Gunners...
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 08:56:23 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on February 16, 2013, 11:26:15 PM

1) Do you all think 16 gigs would be adequate?   

2)Transferring movie files to the Iconia is simple as it shows up as an external drive and you just drag and drop.  I realize I'll have to use iTunes (which I still despise) to move movie files to the iPad.  Will I also have to convert the files first?  (normally .avi or .mkv or .mp4 files).

3) I will also be purchasing a bluetooth keyboard and stylus.  I'm leaning toward the Logitech Ultrathink Keyboard cover and either the Bamboo or Jot stylus.  Any thoughts?

4)  I have a 4s so I'm familiar with iOS apps.  Any must have iPad only apps?

*I also seem to remember reading something about using an xbox controller to play games on the iPad.  Anyone do this?

1) I think you have that answered already, but I definitely agree 32GB minimum unless you can forgo video

2) I haven't done this in a while but my guess is you will have to do some file conversion.  MP4 might work but I'm not sure.

3) The Logitech keyboard cover is fantastic, highly recommend.  Stylus-wise it really depends.  There are so many types out there with prices ranging from practically free to the $100 range and it really depends on the individual.  I have trouble recommending one in particular but if you want something more "hardcore" the Pogo Connect is pretty cool, it uses bluetooth tracking but I still had trouble free style writing with it.

4) There's a couple good threads here, there are so many awesome apps these days.  Check out the mobile forum for sure for games.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: