http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:10:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Turbocharge' Your Internet Access- for a fee, of course  (Read 1055 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:46:49 PM »

So I get this in my email box:

For 10.00 more per month, my already quite fast connection can get MUCH MUCH FASTAR.

My question is, how does this work.

All things being equal (teh pipes!), do they just assign me more bandwidth or assign my account higher priority...how does it work? How would my speeds get faster than they already are? 

Of course, they don't have to actually 'do' anything for that 10.00 but how do they make it happen?

I'm thinking about testing this out for giggles, but I no comprehendo.

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 01:48:52 PM »

They send a tech to the DSLAM you are hooked up to and he turns a dial.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 01:51:29 PM »

Quote from: drifter on April 06, 2007, 01:48:52 PM

They send a tech to the DSLAM you are hooked up to and he turns a dial.

And that dial does what. And what's a DSLAM?  DUMB IT DOWN YOU EVIL GENIUS!

Btw- My DL is 4912 and up is 362 as per the Speedtest.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 01:53:10 PM by ATB » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »

Well, if your plan was less than 8mb, then yes, they just assign you a new plan which gives you access to a higher bandwidth cap.

DSLAM is Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer and would apply to DSL modems, not Cablemodems.  In this case, the TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol ) file in the cable modem would change and with it, your ability to access higher bandwidth.  No dials. smile

It is doubtful that you'd notice any more speed by the way...only on sustained transfers, and then you are limited by the other end of the connection - the server sending.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 01:55:31 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 06, 2007, 01:53:23 PM

It is doubtful that you'd notice any more speed by the way...only on sustained transfers, and then you are limited by the other end of the connection - the server sending.

What about say, for hosting MP games on XBL?  Or playing them for that matter.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 02:16:41 PM »

DSLAM would be DSL right; thanks Knightshade I should read the details better, I blame the percocet I am on right now.

Playing a game does not use a lot of bandwidth you are more dependent on latency there (ping).

If you host games (gameserver sort of thing) then you may want more bandwidth for the uploading.

Basically though if your internet is fine for you now there probably isnt a need for you to upgrade.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 02:30:57 PM »

One thing to note... the grammer of "up to".  If your upstream increased to the threshold listed it would help when you hosted XBL games.  That is about it.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 02:36:58 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 06, 2007, 02:30:57 PM

One thing to note... the grammer of "up to".  If your upstream increased to the threshold listed it would help when you hosted XBL games.  That is about it.

Correct - the upload is what matters for hosting games on XBL.  362 up is a little light for hosting more than probably 8 players (depending on the game)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 05:06:34 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 06, 2007, 01:53:23 PM

Well, if your plan was less than 8mb, then yes, they just assign you a new plan which gives you access to a higher bandwidth cap.

DSLAM is Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer and would apply to DSL modems, not Cablemodems.  In this case, the TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol ) file in the cable modem would change and with it, your ability to access higher bandwidth.  No dials. smile

Memories...of the way things used to be...misty water-colored memories...of the way we were...

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 05:10:29 PM »

I always assumed they were offering some kind of (extra) data compression, but I'm not a big fan of DSL anymore.

I remember cable started bumping up speeds as they improved their network, which was pretty cool.  But DSL has some pretty strict requirements, as well as difficulty in increasing speed beyond a certain point (especially since DSL now shares the same line with the required voice service).
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »

I'm gonna go ahead and give it a try. Internets is a business expense anyway.  Now I can download work even fastar!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 12:14:52 PM »

7852 Down 490 up.

I'll take it!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: