http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:12:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Transformers' - Spoilers Flagged  (Read 6429 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2007, 12:42:06 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on July 09, 2007, 12:37:12 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on July 06, 2007, 05:11:41 PM

This movie rocked.  I'll be seeing it again this weekend...I can't help myself. smile

When Optimus said his most classic line from the original animated movie, I grinned so, so broadly.

Spoiler for Hiden:
One shall stand, one shall fall.
The whole clip is on youtube, the original that is.

that's definitely one of Prime's best lines from the original, but i always liked the next two lines even more...

Megatron - "Why throw away your life so foolishly?"
Optimus - "Thats a question you should ask yourself Megatron."

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2007, 02:03:51 AM »

Quote from: disarm on July 09, 2007, 12:42:06 AM

Quote from: GatorFavre on July 09, 2007, 12:37:12 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on July 06, 2007, 05:11:41 PM

This movie rocked.  I'll be seeing it again this weekend...I can't help myself. smile

When Optimus said his most classic line from the original animated movie, I grinned so, so broadly.

Spoiler for Hiden:
One shall stand, one shall fall.
The whole clip is on youtube, the original that is.

that's definitely one of Prime's best lines from the original, but i always liked the next two lines even more...

Megatron - "Why throw away your life so foolishly?"
Optimus - "Thats a question you should ask yourself Megatron."

Yes, they are equally awesome!

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2007, 05:38:27 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2007, 11:58:26 PM

I Hate to leave Ridah in the minority.... OK, screw Ridah.  THIS MOVIE ROCKED!!!!!  perhaps it was going in with no expectations but the movie was the perfect summer popcorn blockbuster!

I'm really surprised that I didn't like the movie because it seems like everyone loved it but me, even people who aren't necessarily Transformer fans. I guess I just can't get around poor writing as well as I used to when I was a teenager.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2007, 06:38:14 AM »

I didn't really like it that much.

I mean, the transformers were seriously an olympic tumbling team... on CROWDED SIDEWALKS AND STREETS.

They shoulda been BATHED in human blood. Michael Bay could have been a director for the A-team... the only show where a RPG can be fired into a shopping mall and there are no casualties.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »

It was entirely mediocre.

For every big positive there's an equally big negative. Great special effects? Sure. Shots so close in that you can't actually see those special effects? Yep. The entire movie's that way.

And good god..

Whatever happens.. I'm really glad I got in that car with you.

/puke

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2007, 05:48:43 PM »

Quote from: Orgull on July 06, 2007, 01:53:52 AM

Quote from: Ridah on July 05, 2007, 11:18:16 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 05, 2007, 12:34:01 PM

Quote from: papasmurff on July 04, 2007, 11:40:12 AM

For me it was a toss up with Die hard...I was disappointed in the the cheap voice over in die hard so I think transformers win....

What cheap voiceover in Die Hard?

If you watch carefully (I've seen it twice now) the film shows the actors saying "fuck" but the dubbing changes it to "screw" or "shit" or something else.

This was the first thing I noticed. I think we have an unrated version in the works.

Anyway, my mind is still mush from transformers. I'm honestly not really sure what I thought all in all. The one thing I can say for sure though is that without a few lines of dialogue, this movie would have been much more mature and far better.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2007, 05:53:10 PM »

Did anyone read the prequel comics for the movie?  I'm curious how much they flesh out the backstory.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2007, 06:01:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 10, 2007, 05:53:10 PM

Did anyone read the prequel comics for the movie?  I'm curious how much they flesh out the backstory.

I did when they came out, but now I need to go back and read them again.  IIRC it was slightly confusing, but now that I've seen the movie it may make more sense.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2007, 08:03:55 PM »

One review I read over at AICN said the book by Alan Dean Foster actually did a better job of fleshing out the new mythology and characters of the Transformers than the comics did.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2007, 11:40:09 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 10, 2007, 05:53:10 PM

the prequel comics are actually pretty good.  the opening issue focuses mainly on the fight back on Cybertron and fills in some interesting details about the nature of the war, as well as revealing exactly how Bumblebee lost his voice, and is the most interesting in my opinion.  they also fill in some more detail about the discovery of Megatron in the arctic circle by grandpa Witwicky and how it led to the development of Sector 7.  overall, i considered it to be a pretty interesting story, and the art is well done...definitely worth checking out if you're a fan.  as for the actual movie adaptation comic, it's not as good...taken pretty directly from the movie but leaves out a ton of details due to the limited length they had to work with.  if you're interested in checking out either the prequel or the movie adaptation, you can pick the trade paperback version of each one for about $13 from Amazon right now.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 01:44:51 AM »

Finally, I'm not the only fricking person who didn't think the movie was all that great! I started feeling like I was in a twilight zone episode where I was the only person in the world that could recognize a poorly crafted movie or something...

When you think about it, it breaks down like this: All the scenes with Autobots in it = good. All the scenes without them = bad (with the exception of some of those glorious Megan Fox shots).

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 02:23:31 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 11, 2007, 01:44:51 AM

Finally, I'm not the only fricking person who didn't think the movie was all that great! I started feeling like I was in a twilight zone episode where I was the only person in the world that could recognize a poorly crafted movie or something...

yeah, but one of them is Canadian.  At least you still have Thin J.

Because I can,
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 02:44:23 AM »

I've determined most people who didnt like the movie are Transformer fanboy's who wanted it to be like the original movie was, all robot, all the time.

This movie was made for a larger audience while staying true to the original in most ways.  The comedy was a bit much but still well done in most places.  It wasnt a perfect movie by any stretch, but it was 10 times better than I think most of us expected to to be, or it had any right considering.  I think most people who didnt like it went in expecting the world, while most who do, went in to see a movie.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 04:05:30 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 03, 2007, 06:16:54 AM

The pacing was excellent.  Not so much downtime so you'd start crying about when they'll get to the fireworks factory, and not so much mindless action that the whole thing is like watching a videogame.  The movie strikes a good balance between plot development and big explosions; it's fun to watch.

Totally disagree, the movie had one of the worst lulls ever that lasted a good hour. I think it was around the time the Defcon 7 people came around.

Really horrible writing as well, its obvious the budget was spent on special effects and not the dialogue and writing.

I'm not trying to be a downer or anything, but I was definately at a point where I wanted to leave, I was just utterly bored. The beginning is decent, the middle sucks, the ending rocks. That honestly sums it up.

And the movie is really cheesy, like when the Transformers are sneaking around the house and such to avoid the parents, it was funny but corny as heck.

Good action sequences, poor writing, average story, crummy pacing. Overall grade: C-.
You're too nice. The beginning was ok, if not 1.5 hours too long, and then it just went downhill.

I went in expecting a bad movie, but still came out disappointed. Michael Bay, I want to cage-match you to the death! One will stand and one will fall!

PSN ID: EduardoX
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on July 11, 2007, 04:05:30 AM

Quote from: Ridah on July 03, 2007, 06:16:54 AM

The pacing was excellent.  Not so much downtime so you'd start crying about when they'll get to the fireworks factory, and not so much mindless action that the whole thing is like watching a videogame.  The movie strikes a good balance between plot development and big explosions; it's fun to watch.

Totally disagree, the movie had one of the worst lulls ever that lasted a good hour. I think it was around the time the Defcon 7 people came around.

Really horrible writing as well, its obvious the budget was spent on special effects and not the dialogue and writing.

I'm not trying to be a downer or anything, but I was definately at a point where I wanted to leave, I was just utterly bored. The beginning is decent, the middle sucks, the ending rocks. That honestly sums it up.

And the movie is really cheesy, like when the Transformers are sneaking around the house and such to avoid the parents, it was funny but corny as heck.

Good action sequences, poor writing, average story, crummy pacing. Overall grade: C-.
You're too nice. The beginning was ok, if not 1.5 hours too long, and then it just went downhill.

I went in expecting a bad movie, but still came out disappointed. Michael Bay, I want to cage-match you to the death! One will stand and one will fall!

I love you.

Sean Lama
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 02:43:44 PM »

First of all, I hate all of you people.
Everyone who said "Hey, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be...." you used your own potential disappointment as a buffer; by dropping comments like "it was really good" you strip away everyone elses. frown

Friends don't let friends do this :
1) go into a hospital thinking their leg is going to be amputated.
2) Get by with only having a foot amputated
3) go running (oy vey, the pun) to your friends
4) and RECOMMEND THE OPERATION CUZ IT WASN'T AS BAD AS YOU EXPECTED!

Spoiler for I don't effen care; you want my full opinion you'll be warned that there are spoilers involved:
If I stand on a street corner in new york city and fire a handgun into the crowd, people will scatter like cockroaches when the lights go on (or like choirboys when CK gets that amorous look in his eye).

20 EFFEN MINUTES OF SHIT BLOWING UP AND PEOPLE ARE WINDOW SHOPPING ??? I'm sorry, but Bay, there's something about seeing people NOT RUN AWAY when there's gargantuan robots constructed of ginsu knives doing somersaults down the sidewalks and roads that just destroys the effect.

Oh, and WTF is with Barricade (cop car)? Broken by Bumblebee, only to appear later in the movie when they do the cheesy intro (where the movie can't decide if it's doing a early 80's buddy film intro 80% of the way through, or some suspense-horror flick with the "mysterious" robots from far-far-awayland.). He's involved with the freeway chase scene and then IIRC he's never heard from in the battle.

Jazz is dead for no good reason, with only a really bad jive-hiphop NKOTB pose on the hood of a parked car to show his attendance in this film, so no real loss. The Autobots acting like grade 3 children needing to use the little-boys room in the backyard when they're soldiers and well trained in recon? Oh, and Bumblebee's inability to talk due to a voicebox issue? Is this the reasoning behind no communication? If the freakin' decepticons can hack into one the most secure systems in the world in less than a minute, you'd think bumblebee could send a freakin' text message.

Pick a f*$#ing movie platform and stick with it.  I want an action blockbuster that doesn't have flavors of Sixteen Candles mixed in with Independance day, Airforce one and Short Circuit with a little bit of Batteries not Included and X-Files.

It's not like Transformers didn't have a complete enough mythos to call from.

Oh, and who took care of the Mountain Dew machine? I wasn't too worried about the 360-bot though; I mean, he's destined to overheat anyways.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2007, 05:59:45 PM »

So here are my thoughts on what would have made the movie near perfect:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. Slightly less cheesy main plot line. I like the idea of the cube. But the cube's radiation just magically makes *any* mechanical thing into a somewhat sentient killing machine? A nokia phone turns into a mini-robot that can shoot missiles? wtf?

2. More showdown build up. We all know Optimus Prime is a complete badass. But the only scene where he actually acts like one is in the freeway fight when he shoves that sword through Bonecrusher's face. More please. Other than that there just isn't the same sense of command and "I don't want to have to kick your ass but I will if I must" that I always got from Prime in the cartoons as a kid.

3. Fights that made sense. The fights were a spectacle. They looked good. But for the most part they were shot way too close up and all we really saw was flashing metal colliding typically followed by a panned out shot of a transformer flying through the air to crash into something. Pull the damned camera back and let me SEE the action. Don't fake it.

4. A true showdown at the end. The whole scene at the start of the animated Transformers movie (You've got the touch!) made the whole film. You saw Prime just put his foot down and bitch-slap some decepticons around. His fight with Megatron was epic. Instead in the movie all we see is prime getting bitch-slapped by megatron, and there wasn't even any real build-up to that. There was no sense of a long history between the two. No "You're probably the only robot who has a chance against me" feeling. Build it up. Have the scene where Optimus just says "enough" and show the two of them throwing it down in an epic battle.

It was still a great summer movie flick and a lot of fun to watch. But just a small way from being awesome beyond belief.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2007, 01:58:16 PM »

I have a question for those of you who are more hardcore Tformers fans than I. Was Jon Turtorro's character based of someone from the show. Honestly, this is the only explanation that would really justify how ridiculous he is in this movie.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2007, 02:03:29 PM »

I don't think so.  The only recurring human characters I remember from the TV series are Sparkplug, Spike, Spike's friend in a wheelchair, and then later Spike's son Daniel.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2007, 02:25:21 PM »

You know, I don't think they addressed the issue of the 'mini robots' that came alive when Spike dropped the cube.  Could that Mountain Dew Vending Machine bot still be wandering the sewers?

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2007, 03:15:05 PM »

On that note, any chance the prequel comics gave an explanation for the newly created robots being feral/evil upon birth?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2007, 04:47:04 PM »

They were wild and uncivilized?

I assume that :
   A) they were mostly created by humans with no practical experience
   B) the only other time the cube was used was when the boy fell down.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »

I looked through the seibertron fansite forums, and I saw someone post that in an interview, one of the co-writers said that those new robots have no soul.  There's some specific way you have to channel the cube energy to create robots like the Autobots and Decepticons.

The co-writer also apparently said that Arcee was supposed to be in the movie, but got cut.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2007, 05:18:42 PM »

Did he mention the rest of them had no soul except Optimus? slywink

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2007, 09:44:03 PM »

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on July 13, 2007, 01:58:16 PM

I have a question for those of you who are more hardcore Tformers fans than I. Was Jon Turtorro's character based of someone from the show. Honestly, this is the only explanation that would really justify how ridiculous he is in this movie.

there really weren't any characters taken from the original show other than the transformers.  the only consistency between sam witwicky in the new movie and the old cartoon is his name...everything else is working from a completely different storyline than the original show.

Quote from: wonderpug on July 13, 2007, 03:15:05 PM

On that note, any chance the prequel comics gave an explanation for the newly created robots being feral/evil upon birth?

the prequel comic doesn't touch on this at all.  i just assumed that they were machines created without a 'spark' to give them personality beyond survival instincts.  the 'spark' has been pretty well established in recent TF stories as essentially the soul that gives them a personality and moral direction.  this is not something that was established in either the movie or the related comics though...just my conclusion from knowledge of other TF story lines.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2007, 09:59:02 PM »

Quote from: disarm on July 13, 2007, 09:44:03 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 13, 2007, 03:15:05 PM

the prequel comic doesn't touch on this at all.  i just assumed that they were machines created without a 'spark' to give them personality beyond survival instincts.  the 'spark' has been pretty well established in recent TF stories as essentially the soul that gives them a personality and moral direction.  this is not something that was established in either the movie or the related comics though...just my conclusion from knowledge of other TF story lines.

I asked the same question of myself when leaving the theatre.. why does the cube give transformers ammunition and weapons off the hop, and instincts to destroy? I'm guessing they just wanted to have a few more explosions.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2007, 02:00:01 PM »

You know those friends who you never invite to go to movies with you because they constantly pick them apart piece by piece looking for something to hate?   The ones that can't allow themselves to enjoy anything because they are always determined to find something not to enjoy?   And worse yet those that think movies have to be some sort of masterpiece of superior intellect to be fun?

The internet is full of those people.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2007, 06:59:26 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 15, 2007, 02:00:01 PM

You know those friends who you never invite to go to movies with you because they constantly pick them apart piece by piece looking for something to hate?   The ones that can't allow themselves to enjoy anything because they are always determined to find something not to enjoy?   And worse yet those that think movies have to be some sort of masterpiece of superior intellect to be fun?

and you're just figuring this out?  Tongue

Because I can,
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2007, 11:20:40 PM »

I saw Die Hard 4 last night. THAT'S how you make a ridiculous, mindless, but entertaining movie. Makes me hate Transformers just that much more.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2007, 12:28:45 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 15, 2007, 02:00:01 PM

You know those friends who you never invite to go to movies with you because they constantly pick them apart piece by piece looking for something to hate?   The ones that can't allow themselves to enjoy anything because they are always determined to find something not to enjoy?   And worse yet those that think movies have to be some sort of masterpiece of superior intellect to be fun?

It takes the work of talent to rock my state of suspended disbelief on a MOVIE BASED ON TOYS.

Bay is a talented person. He should be rewarded.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2007, 02:51:27 PM »

I think Michael Bay should direct the upcoming live action version of Invader Zim next.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2007, 04:38:25 PM »

You are dead to me.

He'd cast Skreech as Gir and I'd have to kill him.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2007, 04:45:11 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 16, 2007, 04:38:25 PM

You are dead to me.

He'd cast Skreech as Gir and I'd have to kill him.

just imagine Skreech singing the 'Doom' song  icon_twisted

Because I can,
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2007, 07:49:14 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on July 15, 2007, 11:20:40 PM

I saw Die Hard 4 last night. THAT'S how you make a ridiculous, mindless, but entertaining movie. Makes me hate Transformers just that much more.
hahaha. I thought the opposite actually. I thought Tformers was actually better than Die Hard.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2007, 08:12:16 PM »

I saw Transformers last night and I'm squarely in the middle.  It was a popcorn flick, nothing more.  Some jokes worked, some didn't.  Some action scenes were pretty good, some weren't.  Some acting was decent and some was awful.  I didn't expect high cinema and I didn't get it, but I was entertained for a couple of hours and so was my 7 year old son.  The chick was hawt at least.

However, it made me all the more desperate for a high-budget Mechwarrior flick.  With that fleshed-out interesting universe and the CGI effects available, only God knows why someone hasn't tried to make one already.   

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2007, 01:50:56 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on July 17, 2007, 08:12:16 PM

I saw Transformers last night and I'm squarely in the middle.  It was a popcorn flick, nothing more.  Some jokes worked, some didn't.  Some action scenes were pretty good, some weren't.  Some acting was decent and some was awful.  I didn't expect high cinema and I didn't get it, but I was entertained for a couple of hours and so was my 7 year old son.  The chick was hawt at least.

However, it made me all the more desperate for a high-budget Mechwarrior flick.  With that fleshed-out interesting universe and the CGI effects available, only God knows why someone hasn't tried to make one already.   
Unless Uwe Boll gets it, I'm sure it'll get a pretty decent treatment too. It's a very cool premise.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2007, 02:45:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on July 17, 2007, 08:12:16 PM

With that fleshed-out interesting universe and the CGI effects available, only God knows why someone hasn't tried to make one already.   

they probably saw how badly Dungeons and Dragons did and figure they'll have too limited an audience to make it profitable.  It seems movies or TV series (like Kindred the Embraced) based off of any game that is not a video game tank almost everytime.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2007, 11:33:49 AM »

Resident Evils weren't bad.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »

We will see how Hitman turns out, although I have to say the trailer looked pretty good.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2007, 02:17:04 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 19, 2007, 11:33:49 AM

Resident Evils weren't bad.

Resident Evil: Mad Max- er, Extinction is due out soon.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: