http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 10:38:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Supreme Court Hypocrisy" for $2000, Alex  (Read 1411 times)
IHateMorrowind
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2004, 01:07:52 AM »

I just wonder why it's not ok for Roy Moore to display the 10 Commandments in the Rotunda of the Alabama Supreme Court building...but there is a frieze of the 10 Commandments...in the US SUPREME COURT chambers...on the wall right above where the Justices sit?

Hypocritical old fuckheads..., well at least five of them are smile.

"Life is good...but evil has more fun."
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 01:28:11 AM »

Couple of things are possible(don't know for sure, I'm not a lawyer):

One, you need a complaint right?  Maybe no one has complained about the US SC one?

Two, the Alabama one was in a PUBLIC area right? And the US SC one is in the Justices(non public) area?
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 01:29:58 AM »

Historical landmark? I don't know...

Done posting
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 01:41:58 AM »

I thought Moore just stuck the monument there of his own accord. Its like me putting a monument at my work. Or am I confused?! (About this, not in general :lol:)

The city putting a monument up in a public building is different than a person putting a monument up in a public building. This is before you even get to the church vs state thing. Just because he works in the building doesn't mean he has the authority to start installing whatever monuments he wants.

IHateMorrowind
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 01:47:37 AM »

I should have been more specific...it's not in their private chambers...it's right there in the courtroom, on the wall behind the bench.

"Life is good...but evil has more fun."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 01:57:20 AM »

I agree with Creepy (and how often do you get to write that?) in that I thought the judge put the 10 Commandments bust in the Alabama courthouse of his own accord. I don't know what the law is concerning the one in the SC chambers though.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 01:57:37 AM »

There are a lot of courtrooms with biblical imagery in them.  I think that most of it is still there because it is historically protected.  The issue, if I'm correct, was that of the judge having it installed by himself.

MrBad
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 03:22:09 AM »

You're talking about the north frieze right?  The one depicted here:

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/north&southwalls.pdf

Doesn't actually have the ten commandments.  It has Moses with commandments 6-10 partially visible.  Commandments 6-10 are not particually religious.  Additionally, other historical lawgivers appear.  Some of the other ones are also religous, such as Solomon and Muhammad.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 05:06:37 PM »

Quote from: "MrBad"
You're talking about the north frieze right?  The one depicted here:

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/north&southwalls.pdf

Doesn't actually have the ten commandments.  It has Moses with commandments 6-10 partially visible.  Commandments 6-10 are not particually religious.  Additionally, other historical lawgivers appear.  Some of the other ones are also religous, such as Solomon and Muhammad.

Sweet link - thanks for teaching me something new today.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Kurth
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 05:04:39 AM »

Well, I guess they aren't "Hypocritical old fuck-heads" after all, are they?

Separation of church and state - learn it, live it, love it.  It's here to stay.

Another GoneGold refugee.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 06:26:13 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
I agree with Creepy (and how often do you get to write that?) in that I thought the judge put the 10 Commandments bust in the Alabama courthouse of his own accord. I don't know what the law is concerning the one in the SC chambers though.

Not only did he do it of his own accord, he snuck it in, at night, a preuly political move. What a tool. ninja

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 06:58:14 AM »

The problem, as I recall, is that you ARE allowed to display the ten commandments, but only if you are doing so as sort of historical tribute to rule of law.  There have been, in the past, displays of the commandments which were saved once they added in things like Hammurabi displays or whatever.

To have it as JUST a religious display, as Moore did, is wrong, as were many of the ways he went about it.  He also, if I recall, defied rulings by other judges which told him to have it removed.  Thus, he was totally defying the rule of law.  His only goal was a religious display, and probably a high profile one, at that.  Didnt he run for Senate or something?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 02:35:39 PM »

Quote from: "IHateMorrowind"
I just wonder why it's not ok for Roy Moore to display the 10 Commandments in the Rotunda of the Alabama Supreme Court building...but there is a frieze of the 10 Commandments...in the US SUPREME COURT chambers...on the wall right above where the Justices sit?

Hypocritical old fuckheads..., well at least five of them are smile.

What nice language. For someone that is so upset about the Ten Commandments not being able to be shown, maybe you should actually read the Bible sometime and tone down your language.

Just a suggestion.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: