http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 12:00:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox live: Fun and Frustration  (Read 2480 times)
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2005, 01:06:35 AM »

I am late in the game coming to Xbox Live, but figured I'd give it a shot since I had some gift cards to buy a subscription and the wireless stuff. I am a grumpy old gamer closing on my 40's, so I don't have a lot of patience for idiots, but Halo 2 online was calling my name.

I've played for a couple of hours a few night last week, and it's been fun in spurts, but it's also been raising my blood pressure.

I can't help but think that Xbox Live would be about 5x as fun without the communicator. Well, that's probably not true, since many games depend on it, but certainly very few people use it effectively for Halo 2. It mostly seems to be used for the sake of being obnoxious. Probably 1 out of 3 games I've played is filled with things like racial slurs or moronic trash talk or some idiot who has a ranking of about 3 critisizing everyone else on the team.

I mostly play the team-based stuff. Things get better late at night. I've had some good games where people behave like human beings and actually work together. It can be a heck of lot of fun.

THen there are times like a game I played last night, where 3 guys spent the game berating everyone else on the team for not doing the right thing to get instant flag captures via some cheat they had figured out. Maybe we could just play the damn game instead?

I just figured out last night that it's possible to mute specific players, so maybe that will help slywink

<sigh> Anyway, I am undecided at this point as to whether to keep the subscription. I'd love to find a regular group of mature players that I can jump from game to game with. If anyone's involved with such a group that plays fairly late at night (somewhere around 9PM - 2AM PST), please give me a friend invite. I am currently ranked 8 on team battles, but it's going up little by little. I have a couple of other games that are Live-enabled (Burnout 3 and Crimson Skies), and I'd certainly be willing to buy any other game if I could find a good group.

My gamertag is MST3000.
Jancelot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 04:29:24 PM »

That's the reason I haven't been playing much.  There was a time when a lot of GG people were on playing Crimson Skies, PGR2, etc.  But anymore I'll see 1 or 2 people in my list online.  And the random games are just full of rude people and twerps so I just don't enjoy them very much.  It's nice to have the updates, and at $50 a year it was a good deal.  But between the talk of raising the price this year and the content becoming more and more chargable I might just cancel.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 05:41:10 PM »

Yeah, I rarely play with the communicator anymore.  And I'm a big fan of the mute feature.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 09:01:33 PM »

I'm trying to ressurrect the Live night!  Let's bring it back.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 01:31:31 PM »

Harpua3 is my gamertag. i almost always play super-late. I am not a moron :wink: . I`m also a big fan of team skirmish etc. (team games) on Halo 2. Send me a friend request if you want. Later.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 06:29:22 PM »

I think since GG shut down, the leftovers here and at Octopus Overlords lean toward PC Gaming over online console gaming.  I had tried a couple of times to get various types of games set-up, but it seems that interest has waned.
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 03:06:07 PM »

Quote from: "sclick"
I am late in the game coming to Xbox Live, but figured I'd give it a shot since I had some gift cards to buy a subscription and the wireless stuff. I am a grumpy old gamer closing on my 40's, so I don't have a lot of patience for idiots, but Halo 2 online was calling my name.

I've played for a couple of hours a few night last week, and it's been fun in spurts, but it's also been raising my blood pressure.

I can't help but think that Xbox Live would be about 5x as fun without the communicator. Well, that's probably not true, since many games depend on it, but certainly very few people use it effectively for Halo 2. It mostly seems to be used for the sake of being obnoxious. Probably 1 out of 3 games I've played is filled with things like racial slurs or moronic trash talk or some idiot who has a ranking of about 3 critisizing everyone else on the team.

I mostly play the team-based stuff. Things get better late at night. I've had some good games where people behave like human beings and actually work together. It can be a heck of lot of fun.

THen there are times like a game I played last night, where 3 guys spent the game berating everyone else on the team for not doing the right thing to get instant flag captures via some cheat they had figured out. Maybe we could just play the damn game instead?

I just figured out last night that it's possible to mute specific players, so maybe that will help slywink

<sigh> Anyway, I am undecided at this point as to whether to keep the subscription. I'd love to find a regular group of mature players that I can jump from game to game with. If anyone's involved with such a group that plays fairly late at night (somewhere around 9PM - 2AM PST), please give me a friend invite. I am currently ranked 8 on team battles, but it's going up little by little. I have a couple of other games that are Live-enabled (Burnout 3 and Crimson Skies), and I'd certainly be willing to buy any other game if I could find a good group.

My gamertag is MST3000.

Edited by KS to remove site pimping.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 03:41:33 PM »

Markus, please read the rules.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 04:47:52 PM »

Fine.  Call it site pimping or whatever you like.  :roll: That's not my style nor do I get anything for mentioning said site.  Perhaps I should have sent a PM, but sclick specifically asked if there was a group of mature gamers that existed that would make his LIVE experience better.  I know of one that has improved mine astronomically and figured I would post the site so he could check it out for himself as could others who are interested in the same thing.

I was a long time reader of the forums at Gone Gold and have lurked here for quite some time as well.  I didn't create an account just to pimp a site.  I would not known of said site unless I had read about it myself on a forum (obviously is wasn't this one).

If anyone is interested in finding out about a great group of mature people (over 500) with whom to play on XBox live, send me a PM...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 05:12:05 PM »

Fair enough Markus, just that I see somebody who has never posted before and his first post is to promote another site - I can only make assumptions.  My apologies.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 05:33:15 PM »

Not a problem.  I probably was a little harsh in my reply anyways.  I just wanted to share what I found because it's really changed my LIVE experience for the better.  

So once again the offer stands for those who would like to find a great group of XBox live gamers.  Just drop me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 04:06:29 AM »

Back to the topic at hand...

Let's get a CG Live! night going again!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print