http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 08:42:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW UI Enhancements  (Read 1898 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2004, 09:01:19 PM »

I read about modifying the UI, but didn't know it was so flexible until I started looking into Cosmos, and some of the other UIs.  Have people tried these, and do they enhance the game?

http://www.cosmosui.org/
or
http://wow.warcraftstrategy.com/mods/

Those are two I've seen.  Are there others?  How complex is it to modify the scripts?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 09:19:08 PM »

I have no idea hwo to do it yourself. I used cosmos off and on, and while I love the utility I personally had lots of bugs with it. I know there was another, fairly popular UI mod during beta, but I cant remember the name. Either way, I will be using whichever I can get my hands on asap. The default UI just sucks in terms of functionality.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 10:09:32 PM »

There's one I've been using that's available at www.nurfed.com (click the interface icon in the top-left corner).  It does just about everything I need it to do, and the one thing I didn't like about it I was able to disable by commenting one line of code.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 10:24:57 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
There's one I've been using that's available at www.nurfed.com (click the interface icon in the top-left corner).  It does just about everything I need it to do, and the one thing I didn't like about it I was able to disable by commenting one line of code.

U R TEH SMARTZOR!! That was what I was looking for.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 10:59:08 PM »

Personally I did not use any during beta. I thought they might not allow them so I did not want to get hooked on them early. smile After they said they were going to allow them, beta was drawing to an end, so i thought i would just keep using the standard interface and report any bugs.

I will be very happy to be able to use it when retail comes, mainly due to the added hotbars. I have probably 15 different abilites that I might need fast access to during combat (as a 52nd level warrior) so 1 hotbar just does not cut it.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 01:00:42 AM »

I used cosmos during beta, this was a necessity as I was playing a Shaman. I had no problems using this and found it to be very helpfull and pretty bug free. The only downside was Cosmos would stop working after each patch but the guys who developed it were pretty on the ball and would have it updated to match the new client within a day each time.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 01:21:37 AM »

I like using Cosmos as well.  However, lately I was experiencing a lot of corruption problems and had to delete and reinstall the interface directory a number of times.  I'm hoping that these problems are fixed by launch.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 04:34:01 AM »

Me too nam-same problems, I am probably going to try nurfed first.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 02:27:49 PM »

Ok, since folks seem to be interested in it...

The one thing that annoyed me about the nurfed interface was the way they made the tooltips move relative to the mouse when you rolled over something in the world.  I imagine some folks would like it, but it bothers me because the block is so big.  The default behavior of the unmodified game is to have that info appear in the bottom-right corner of the window.

If you prefer to have it appear that way as well, go into Interface/FrameXML and open up GameTooltip.lua in a text editor.  Do a search for

Code:
this:SetOwner(UIParent, "ANCHOR_CURSOR");

and modify it so it says

Code:
--this:SetOwner(UIParent, "ANCHOR_CURSOR");

The "--" is the language's form of commenting.

Also, be advised that anytime the game gets a patch you'll need to reapply the interface.  I think that Bliz has some sort of system in place so that add-ons are identified by what version of the game they were developed for, so patching invalidates them.  The nurfed UI guy seems to be extremely fast about updating the files though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: