http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 01:28:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW: there is something wrong with me!  (Read 2700 times)
Crusis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2004, 09:23:31 PM »

Because I am already bored with WoW.  I don't get it, the game is getting rave reviews, its getting praised everywhere for it's gameplay over EQ2.  And afer a week I already feel like I did with CoH - bored.  

I think one of the problems with both CoH and WoW is that the quest system is fundamentally "go here and kill x number of foozles, come back for reward".  Sure most MMO's are like this but it is so repetitive in WoW, why can't they have EQ2 type quests where you actually have to work at finishing the quest (I'm thinking specifically of the Hidden Eye quest early on in EQ2).  

I do know one thing that turns me off about WoW is the maturity level of players.  When I play a fantasy game I don't care to group with "Potsmokerboi".  Also the game seems centered on soloing - and I prefer a more social game, I love grouping and guilds.  

So what have I missed in WoW?  I really like the characters, graphics - sound!   But I have no desire to start it up again.  HELP!

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 09:38:40 PM »

I would say you and I are in the same boat but I found myself in your place during the open beta so I haven't actually spent any money on the game.

I even used "foozle" in my original gripe post!  biggrin

I don't know what you're missing to tell you the truth, because whatever "it" is I missed it too.
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 10:16:12 PM »

do you enjoy EQ2 - mb?

-Crusis

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »

Did you play EQ1, Crusis?  I'd recommend that.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 11:02:20 PM »

Honestly, a lot of it depends on what group you fall in with, especially if you're not a solo-oriented player.  I'd recommend creating a character to join the Wanderers or Almost Heroes (the two seemingly-semi-official CG guilds) on Whisperwind; see if playing with a group of mature(r) gamers helps your issues any.  I had a ton of fun soloing in the first stress test, then the open beta felt kind of dry.  But now that I've fallen in with the Wanderers, I'm having even more fun than I did at first.

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:32:24 PM »

I was/am a total EQ junkie.  In fact thats where I found out how much fun the social aspect of MMORPG's can be.  I really like EQ2 as well but I have a 6800GT and the <insert copious amounts of swearing here> graphic stuttering problems are driving me insane.

I am going to check out the Whisperwind server and try to hook up with Wanderers.  

-Crusis

StewMeat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 12:19:52 AM »

You wana trade for a copy of EQ2, send me a pm.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 12:21:10 AM »

Quote from: "StewMeat"
You wana trade for a copy of EQ2, send me a pm.
No, no!  PM me!  For the love of god, I need to rid myself of this game!!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 03:34:02 AM »

I'd try the roleplaying servers if you are looking for more mature players.  There's at least a better chance of finding them there.

I also got bored fast (during the beta) with the go here and kill this many mobs and come back for your reward.  I think I got bored so fast because I was burnt out on Dark Age of Camelot at the time.  No MMORPG would have been fun for me.  If I picked it up now I probably could have alot of fun with it, at least until I burned out again.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 01:59:50 PM »

Quote from: "Crusis"
do you enjoy EQ2 - mb?

-Crusis

Haven't played it so no comment.  I've played:

CoH -I liked a lot but pooped out on it, I'm waiting for CoV to give it another go

Planetside - I still like and play when there's no single player FPS on my list to distract me

AC - I liked the instanced stuff and those mewling cat monsters (a 7-day trial)

I also played the SWG 7-day trial but I didn't get too far into it.  I kept getting killed in newbie-town and never got the hang of the gameplay.

I've seen other people play EQ and Shadowbane.  They seemed much the same as AC to me, but I never really played them so I can't give a real opinion.  In Shadowbane my friends were guild members of some guy who went nuts and basically destroyed/sold off the town they had built which I though was quite hilarious.

What's funny is that I LOVE to be able to solo in MMO games, but the quests in WoW are SO BORING that I knew I'd be wasting my time and money if I bought it.

I'm eagerly Starcraft 2, whenever Blizzard gets around to it. smile
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 04:15:51 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"

What's funny is that I LOVE to be able to solo in MMO games, but the quests in WoW are SO BORING that I knew I'd be wasting my time and money if I bought it.

Just curious, how would you make quests not boring in a MMOL game?
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 05:08:58 PM »

If anyone here has WoW and is willing to give it away, let me know.  I'm sure we could work out some compensation, either money or games I don't want anymore.

Who reads these anyway?
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 05:16:31 PM »

Strange, I'm having a blast with the game.  I thought EQ1 was a boring, mind-numbing mess.  I'd much rather be doing quests than killing rats and frogs for the first 10-20 hours.  I've logged about 24 hours into my orc, this in about a week.  I've already seen and done more in that time than in the entire 2 1/2 months I played EQ1.  (Believe me, I had to FORCE myself to get on after the first few weeks...)

I have not played EQ2, but the first game left such a bad impression on me that I have no desire to even try it.  I'll keep my cartoony WoW , thanks much.  You guys can go grind away at the bats and frogs.  To each their own.  smile

Glycerine
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 05:57:31 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

Just curious, how would you make quests not boring in a MMOL game?

I guess I'm biased from my limited exposure from the open beta, but nearly every quest I received was either "There are some monsters standing outside my house I don't like, go kill them for me" or "I need X monster fling-zings for some reason, go get them for me."

I like instanced dungeons but I never encountered any.  Every "dungeon" quest I went to was a public location, so I would see people going in and out of the same place constantly killing the same thing over and over, and very quickly I might add.

I know they all operate the same way, but the random monsters in WoW were just so completely artificial in their spawning rates that it put me off a lot.  CoH (my favorite MMO) seemed different somehow.  You could mow down blocks and blocks of mobs and even though you knew they'd respawn eventually they never came back less than a minute later like in WoW.  It took the feeling of accomplishment away from random monster bashing.

I suppose the quests could be more interesting if they connected somehow (and maybe they do later in levels)  They all seemed to be one-offs, though.  More things like: fight your way TO this place, get this doodad for me, repeat until the BIG doodad is ready (your reward)  or maybe:  I have a rival, go smash up his stuff so that he can't compete with me anymore! and then the rival could have it in for you if you keep at it so eventually he sends monsters "to deliver a message" to you smile  I know there's not too much you can do variety-wise, but the WoW quests seemed overly generic to me.

I guess I just got burned out way early on the newb grind.  Nothing seemed all that fun or hooked me into wanting to play more.  It sounds like there are plenty of other people to take my place, and good for them if they're enjoying it!
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 06:18:13 PM »

There _are_ other quests, but it seems ot em almost ever quest ends up breaking down to 3 or 4 different types..

I'd say the most fun quest I had was defending a woman from maurading bandits that came in waves...  MAde me warm n fuzzy when she didnt die..

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 07:11:15 PM »

I already have EQ2 but thanks for all the kind offers.  smile

I don't really know what made EQ so addictive over the years because it seems like such a grind.  As with most MMO's though, the social aspect is very strong.  Grouping is neccessary to do anything beyong level 10 (for the most part).  

Another main draw to EQ is being in a 400+ member raiding guild.  

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the input gang.  I did log into WoW last night and then logged out about 10 minutes later.  DOH!  At least my daughter wants to play through the free month.

-Crusis

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 07:12:58 PM »

I suppose the quests could be more interesting if they connected somehow (and maybe they do later in levels)  They all seemed to be one-offs, though.  More things like: fight your way TO this place, get this doodad for me, repeat until the BIG doodad is ready (your reward)  or maybe:  I have a rival, go smash up his stuff so that he can't compete with me anymore! and then the rival could have it in for you if you keep at it so eventually he sends monsters "to deliver a message" to you smile  I know there's not too much you can do variety-wise, but the WoW quests seemed overly generic to me.

What areas did you adventure in? Because I have seen a lot of quests like you describe. Yes, there are a lot of I need X number of Ys or Kill 8 A's and 10 B's. But intermixed are a lot of different varitions of that.  And many have relevant story arches associated with them.

One that comes to mind readily is the one in the undead starter area where you are sent to gather up arms and armor supplies for the freshly undead (smile). Sure you can say its just a "gather X amount of foozles" quest if you want, but that is being a short-sighted in my opinion.

There are also quite a few ale-related quest in the dwarven starter areas. I think those are great even if you want to describe them as generic fed-ex quests.  

In another quest a ghost of a ship captain is worried about the lighthouse going out since he is dead wants you to bring him 5 flasks of old to keep it burning, which can be found off of harvest golems.

Just another collection quest, but "painted" nicely i think. There are example like these all through the alliance lands (I have not played much of the horde lands so they might not have a lot of nicely "painted" quests).

There are several multi-quest main story arches throughout the lands spanning quite a few quests and zones. Maybe you just did not get far enough to into them to realize it.

I will agree that after 50 levels of needing "X" amount of "Z" it can lose a lot of luster, but, to me, its 1000 times better than grinding out exps farming mob spawns. Bleh!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: