http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 08:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW - The Rogue Class  (Read 9496 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2004, 03:37:19 PM »

To all the rogues out there:

Apparently, the rogue is the second most popular class in WoW (according to that stats page), and although I personally don't have one higher than 8th level, I certainly can see why.  

This class can produce some serious, serious damage higher level, and can dispatch multiple enemies very quickly.

Next to Hunters (and maybe Paladins), I see rogues everywhere I go, and lots of 'em.  Sometimes when I'm out hunting, I will stop and watch a rogue "do his thing".  It is really amazing how fast they can go through enemies.

So, the question I have for you guys is:  What do you find is your biggest weakness?  Surely there must be certain situations and/or things that give you heaps of trouble... right?

I'm really just curious, as my brother has a 24th level rogue that I adventure with every once in a while, and he seems darn near self sufficient.  Most of the time I wonder if I sit back and do absolutely nothing, if he would even notice.   :wink:

No wonder the Warriors are jealous.   :wink:

(and is it fact or fiction that if you "get in trouble" - you simply VANISH, and sneak away with almost 100% success?)

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 04:08:33 PM »

I have a level 41 undead rogue, and I'm having a blast with the class.  With rogues, there are 3 main Talent lines you can spec in:  Subtelty, Combat, and Assassination.  Subtelty has bonuses to stealth and the stealth attacks such as Ambush, an backstab attack that requires stealth.  Combat has weapon specific bonuses and perks on attacks that don't require stealth.  Assassination has bonuses to critical strikes, poisons, and such.

Also, you can chose to dual wield, which most do.  On top of that, you can dual wield daggers, maces, swords, or variations of those.  I see a LOT of sword rogues, which usually means they have specced heavy in Combat.  Combat rogues have a high sustained DPS.  I see some rogues dual wield sword/maces or sword/sword, and sometimes dagger/sword.  I think most mace using rogues are Combat rogues also.  Apparently, maces have a chance to stun, and some rogues build their Talents arounds stunning the oppenent.  This is called a 'stunlock' rogue.

Personally, I play as a dual wielding Dagger/Dagger rogue, specced heavily in Subtelty and Assassination.  So basically I rely heavily on stealth and Ambush attacks.  This build has an extremely high "burst" dps, with damage that falls off over time compared to Combat rogues.  My opener attacks can do very high damage, but I have to kill the target quickly after that opener.  If the opener misses, I can be screwed.  If it hits, for the most part I will win (unless it's a paladin, that class usually spanks me).  So, a Combat rogue for the most part likes to just go up and beat the mob up straighforward.  An assassin rogue has to stealth in and set up for positional attacks.  I would say combat rogues can level faster overall becuase of this.  But, I enjoy my build immensely, and it fits my play style perfectly.

Rogues are a perfect class soloing.  We take down enemies fast, and have little downtime.  The stealth is great for sneaking around monsters and areas you don't want to fight in.  Also, we can choose our fights, which is a huge advantage.  The downsides include the fact there are so many, so it's hard to feel unique.  Also, we have fairly low defense.  We can dish it but can't take it.  If I'm in an instance run with a group that has no tank, I die quite a bit.  And that's if I am trying to NOT hold aggro.  Tanks can be our best friends in groups.  And, if you dual wield, you will miss a lot.  From what I've read, the miss rate goes up drastically, but over time the extra damage the second weapon provides outwieghs the misses.  We do well in PvP, but not so well in Duels.  Think I covered most of the basics there for ya.

Edit:  Just saw you "vanish" question.  The vanish ability has a 5 minute cooldown, and requires a reagent, but the reagent is cheap enough.  Poisons can get expensive, though.  Anyway, as long as it's not on cooldown, we can simply vanish, yes.  It works sometimes.  It has saved me many, many times.  Its PERFECT for when you are about to be ninja-looted.  You know, when you fight your way to a chest, a monster is there and starts biting on you so you can't open the chest, and some clown comes up and starts opening the chest while you fight...  WHen this happens, I hit Vanish, the monster will instantly agro the clown trying to steal my stuff, and while it's munching on him I proceed to  open chest, laugh at clown, and run off slywink  It's also great for us Assassin rogues because we can get two Ambush attacks off on one target, allowing us two extremely high damage openers.  But, it doesn't always work.  If I have been dotted it won't work.  I notice against casters there spells will still hit me after I vanish, which pops me out of stealth.

none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 04:16:32 PM »

well, i'd originally planned to have gorkha (lvl 26), my orc hunter, be my high level, pvp character.  but after venturing into contested territory a few times and seeing just how effective a stealthed rogue can be, i started leveling bedouin, my undead rogue, who, i'm happy to say, is now lvl 19.  

and so far (keeping in mind that i am in no way a rogue expert), it's been as you say: i deal a whole lot of damage really quickly and can handle most situations pretty effectively.  i haven't yet gained the vanish ability so i can't comment on that but i have been able to get away from a bad situation with ease by turning on evasion and sprinting away.  plus, starting out with a thrown weapon ability is just icing on the cake for me (i've always preferred playing a class that can deal out both ranged and melee damage).

one weakness that i've experienced so far is that, even with a reasonably buffed agility stat, my dual-wielding rogue will still often miss striking the enemy, sometimes several times in a row.  this can often result in some pretty hairy situations, especially when facing multiple mobs or adds.  but the flipside is that i seem to also have more success with criticals, dealing out a hundred to two hundred plus points of critical damage at a time when my strikes connect.

maintaining sufficient energy levels is another concern.  every fight results in me carefully timing my strikes, holding off on that backstab while my energy level replenishes.  this can often be a nerve-wracking experience.  but, thankfully, the energy bar seems to fill up pretty quickly, even during combat.  

so, yeah, i've noticed how fun and effective a rogue can be.  i don't have plans to retire my hunter just yet but i can easily see my rogue becoming my main character.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 04:50:02 PM »

Rogues can be fun and I actually had planned for my rogue to be my main. But now that he's lvl 25 or so im finding him harder to play and I die a lot more cause of his lack of good armors. It seems my hunter is becoming my main and Ive actually lvl'd past my rogue now. I hardly die as my hunter and can kill stuff 3 and 4 lvls above me.

The rogue is still fun in the way i can stealth and get around stuff...but if Im mobbed by more than 1 thing then im usually dead where my hunter is not.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 04:57:37 PM »

It appears there is a period around the mid 20's to the mid 30's that rogues tend to slow down.  After a little while they get more points and abilities and start kicking butt again (at least until the low 40's).  Remember the hunter doesn't get mail until level 40 so AC is basically the same as the rogue...he just gets to attack from range and let his pet take aggro.  

Higher level instances is where the rogue stands out against the hunter...there is little range to stand back and attack which means the hunter is limited in a lot of ways.  Meanwhile the rogue is melee and kicking butt.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 05:15:24 PM »

My hunter could out melee my rogue I think. Im sure my rogue would be better if he did'nt use 2 daggers. My hunter uses polearms and 2 hand swords.

JRC1978
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 08:18:05 PM »

Rogues are very fun, especially mine.  I am a mace specced rogue with all my talents going to boost stun skills.  Between cheap shot, kidney punch, gouge to regain energy and the stuns from my maces, the enemy has little chance to do anything to me.  Screw daggers and ambush!  Mace stun build all the way!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 11:54:57 PM »

Vanish is great, but it's not entirely uber in PvP.  Hunter's Mark keeps that huge arrow over your head even if you Vanish, and they seem to really really like doing that.  For other classes you go up against, any DoT (damage over time) attack will foil your Vanish.  As soon as you get a tick of damage you'll reappear.

Whatever percent your stats page shows for Rogue's popularity, I'd be willing to bet PVP servers have a much higher percentage, and PvE servers have a much lower percentage, stealth is just so much more critical in a 24/7 PVP environment.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 01:52:33 AM »

i dont play pvp, but my 43 rogue is an absolute blast to play.  i have a friend who plays a rogue as well and we tag-team through dungeons and quests.  it's a great time, and we rarely have any problems.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 02:13:40 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
My hunter could out melee my rogue I think.
No chance in hell.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2005, 02:26:50 AM »

From what Ive heard from others, I dont think that would be true, but it does lead me to ask something- would having a hunter spec'd out for melee be a 'gimpy' build, or at least an ineffective one?
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 09:05:41 AM »

My Rogue just hit 24. Can't wait till 26 when I get Cheapshot! Having a blast so far. Rogues rule. Can't type, must play more.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2005, 04:45:03 PM »

I wanna try a mace now after reading all this. What talents would be good to use to cause more damage and stuns?

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2005, 06:07:53 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
From what Ive heard from others, I dont think that would be true, but it does lead me to ask something- would having a hunter spec'd out for melee be a 'gimpy' build, or at least an ineffective one?
Yes, a melee hunter is generally considered to be a "gimp" build, mainly because a Ranged hunter is several orders of magnitude more powerful.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2005, 07:12:09 PM »

Apparently, maces have a chance to stun, and some rogues build their Talents arounds stunning the oppenent. This is called a 'stunlock' rogue.

Just to make something clear: maces have a 6% chance to stun only if you put 25 points into Combat Talents and max Mace Specialization.  

As a pvp stunlock rogue myself, the only reason I use a mace is for the greater damage they do per hit and would never put that many points in Combat as I'm Assassination/Subtlety specced.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2005, 10:59:41 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "unbreakable"
Yes, a melee hunter is generally considered to be a "gimp" build, mainly because a Ranged hunter is several orders of magnitude more powerful.

Agreed. I have a two handed sword that via raw DPS (the weapon only) is more powerful than my bow. Yet I do an absolute TON more damage thanks to all of my ranged spells/powers/talents.

A melee speced Hunter is a total gimp. Go either full (31 points or more) Marksmanship or Beast Mastery, and put the rest into the other tree.

As for out meleeing a Rogue in combat, not a chance. Once again it's the lack of spells/powers/talents.

Overall, a Rogue is a very powerful class. They can't take much damage, but oh man can they put it out. As long as they have a Paladin healing them (not a Priest, as they tend to get squished if they gain aggro that the Rogue can't pull off), they're nearly unstoppable. Rogues also have the ability to actually do noticable damage to a +3 or higher mob, something which most other classes can't even dream about.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2005, 01:32:27 AM »

when i was a 42 rogue raiding crossroads (normal server), a 41 hunter decided to try and melee me. He died so quickly that i didn't even have to heal after the fight. I am a combat rogue though so maybe that makes a difference, but i doubt it as i respecced from bs at 40ish and they were also good in melee.

Personally, i am not a huge fan of the stunlock builds at all. Reason being that in large scale pvp combat it is very hard to restealth. Lets say you pop out of stealth and kill one guy. Nobody is attacking you and no enemies are anywhere near you, but you still can't stealth more often than not. chances are you are going to have to run way far away before the game realizes that you are out of combat. I also don't like having to wait on long timer abilities.

oh and speaking of mace stun, it procs very often since a combat rogue hits A LOT. you are swing two weapons (although with slow attack speeds) and are sinister striking every 2 seconds. It is not uncommon to stun a mob 3 times and currently i only have 1 mace equiped (main hand) since i can't find a good offhand mace (trying to get a nice blue mace now heh).

Rogues also don't slow down much imo. You need to group! If you are using a bs build, you are hurting yourself soloing. when grouped with a good tank, you can bs constantly with no fear of death. Even a combat rogue does better in a group (although it makes riposte kind of worthless heh!) as they can do their big damage without fear. Groups love our high damage, slowing poison, kicks (got to keep those big ae spells from casting) and stuns of course.[/url]
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2005, 05:26:35 PM »

Quote from: "Falator"

If you don't mind me asking: What is your spec Falator?

What rogue abilities do you miss out on by having maces equiped?  Backstab I presume...and?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2005, 05:54:34 PM »

I am a combat rogue

I think he's a Combat Rogue.   :wink:

Combat is my favorite Rogue line.  I personally think it's the best PvP build, as it relies less on positionals and is more consistent in its damage.  Assassination is extremely powerful too, but it's very "burst"-y in nature--if you don't kill your target in the initial strike, the fight's going to be MUCH harder.

Combat's cool because you can miss here and there without much penalty and move from one target to the next, or change targets on the fly, without having to drop back to stealth and get in position for the Alpha-strike Assassination Rogues are famous for.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 01:59:17 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I am a combat rogue

I think he's a Combat Rogue.   :wink:

LOL.  Yes I figured that much.  I was looking for a bit more info on his spec as in which points he recomends and in which talents.  Maybe just a few trees that work well and a few that should be avoided.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2005, 09:33:58 PM »

Subtlety Mastery
-----------------------------
Master of Deception
Rank 4/5
Reduces the chance enemies have to detect you while in Stealth mode. More effective than Master of Deception (Rank 3).
*Needed something to do with the extra points and stealth is good.

Camouflage
Rank 5/5
Increases your speed while stealthed by 15%.
*85% max speed in stealth. I don't like moving slow and I also don't like being seen before i want to be, so this was a must.

Subtlety Total:   9

Combat Mastery
-------------------------
Improved Sinister Strike
Rank 2/2
Reduces the Energy cost of your Sinister Strike ability by 5.
*My main attack so this was a easy choice.

Lightning Reflexes
Rank 3/5
Increases your Dodge chance by 3%.
*I needed something to get to the next level of abilities and this was more useful to me than better gouge.

Deflection
Rank 5/5
Increases your Parry chance by 5%.
*the extra defence is nice and this is required for riposte

Precision
Rank 5/5
Increases your chance to hit with melee weapons by 5%.
*You miss a lot with dual weapons so i try to get any little bonus i can.

Riposte
Rank 1/1
10 Energy   5 yd range
Instant   6 sec cooldown
A strike that becomes active after parrying an opponent's attack. This attack deals 150% weapon damage and disarms the target for 6 sec.
*GREAT! a 10 energy 150% dmg attack and it also disarms. since you parry about 10% of the time, you can do it pretty often. When an armed npc is disarmed, their damage goes way down so this is very useful.

Dual Wield Specialization
Rank 5/5
Increases the damage done by your offhand weapon by 50%.
*50% of my damage comes from normal hits. Enough said Tongue

Mace Specialization
Rank 5/5
Gives you a 6% chance to stun your target for 3 sec with a mace.
*i stun a great deal since i hit fast. the stuns also hurt the enemy a lot as they interupt their normal pace of battle.

Blade Flurry
Rank 1/1
25 Energy
Instant   2 min cooldown
Requires Melee Weapon
Increases your attack speed by 20%. In addition, attacks strike an additional nearby opponent. Lasts 15 sec.
*cool ability. Very nice when you get an add. the haste is also nice and hey, its on a 2 minute timer so you can use it very often.

Aggression
Rank 3/3
Increases the damage of your Sinister Strike and Eviscerate abilities by 6%.
*my main attack is ss and i use eviscerate a lot.

Adrenaline Rush
Rank 1/1
Instant   6 min cooldown
Increases your Energy regeneration rate by 100% for 15 sec.
*not really a pvp ability imo, but should be great for boss fights or just get out of jail free cards.

Combat Total:   31

Assassination Mastery
-------------------------
Improved Eviscerate
Rank 3/3
Increases the damage done by your Eviscerate ability by 15%.
*i use this most the time

Malice
Rank 5/5
Increases your critical strike chance by 5%.
*how could you not want an extra 5% chance to crit?

Improved Slice and Dice
Rank 3/3
Increases the duration of your Slice and Dice ability by 45%.
*50% of my damage is from normal hits. snd II is a 30% haste and being able to use it with only a few points to get a long lasting haste is nice.

Assassination Total:   11
Total
Total Points Spent:   51
Level Required:   60

I am level 47 right now and next level i will finally get Adrenaline Rush.

oh and while ruthlessness/relentless strike is a good combo, both are not currently working with slice and dice so I would not get either.
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 09:51:50 PM »

I dumped all my points into Assasination, a few in subtlety and a few in combat. And I dual-weild both swords and maces, never a dagger. I'm also extremely effective... you don't need daggers to take full atvantage of the assasination tree.

As a matter of fact, I believe that two swords/mace sword is more effective than daggers on the assasination tree. I have a high crit chance, plus I get combo points built up just as quickly as if I was using daggers... but getting the big hit sinister strikes in while doing it because of my sword or mace dual wield.

The only thing I miss out on is ambush and backstab, but with cheapshot and garrote working just fine I barely miss them.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 11:11:50 PM »

I'm going to try out a dual weild sword combo on my Rogue, but I don't know how well it's going to do.  I love how fast I attack with two daggers. I attack super fast, with SnD combined with poison, I lay down the pain fairly fast. Combine with SS and 5 point Evic, I can put the hurting on any monster my level. Usually, I'll only lose 100-200 HP on creatures my level 1vs1, or 1 vs 2, I might go down a to a little more than half hp left.

Usually I Cheap Shot, SS, SS, SS, Gouge, recharge, Evic.  Maybe 2 more SS and an Evis just to use the extra 2 or 3 points and I'm done.

The other day, this worked quite well on a 31 Tauren Shaman. I snuck up, Cheap Shot, SS, SS.. He came out of stun, Gouged him when he tried to cast... recharged, Hit a HUGE crit on a 5 point Evis, he ran, although slow (mmm, poison). I Backstabbed as he ran. Dead in one shot.

I would like to try this out with swords also. I don't know how it will compare. We'll see.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2005, 11:44:23 PM »

You can't BS, but you can do the rest. SS is the big thing with a sword build (since it does weapon damage + extra), so make sure you put points in talents that increase that damage. Otherwise the extra-CP skills are good, and Evis as always.

I'm really enjoying my dagger build. I think I got the perfect spec for me, and so far so good.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005, 12:51:58 AM »

I was thinking of Respecing to a DOT build to try it out one day. Get all DOTs maxxed, deadly poison and a nice pair of daggers. I wonder how that would work out.
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2005, 01:17:05 AM »

At level 38 I generally lose about 50-100 health against mobs my level, and about 1/4-1/2 of my health to mobs three levels above. It's pretty easy sailing.

The only things that really hurt me are uninterruptable spellcasters that cast damage-giving shields on themselves. Ouch. One of those my level can take 3/4 of my health.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2005, 01:26:24 AM »

...and nets. Those Bloodscalp Trolls that throw nets and root me piss me off to no end.

scub, that'd be an interesting build. There aren't too many talents that boost DOTs, and the improved Garrote one actually lowers damage while increasing time. Garrote lasts a while as it is, so not sure that's worth it. However, two daggers with deadly poison with 5 in Imp. Deadly Poison and 5 in Vile Poisons could be nasty indeed (along with Imp. Rupture).
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2005, 03:09:29 AM »

if ss is your main attack and you use daggers, you are massively hurting yourself.

ss is an instant attack so your speed is useless.

lets look at it this way. You have a really nice 80 dmg dagger. i have a pretty nice 120 dmg mace. you do 80 dmg every 4 seconds which is 20 dps. I do 120 dmg every 4 seconds which is 30dps...

My weapon dps will also likely be higher as its harder to find good daggers compared to other weapons generally. You will proc poison more, but then i hit very fast too using snd and sinister strike so its not like you posion 10 times more than me.

The only way you will compete with a mace using sser as a dagger user is if you use backstab. No ifs ands or buts about it.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2005, 05:49:58 AM »

if ss is your main attack and you use daggers, you are massively hurting yourself.

lets look at it this way. You have a really nice 80 dmg dagger. i have a pretty nice 120 dmg mace. you do 80 dmg every 4 seconds which is 20 dps. I do 120 dmg every 4 seconds which is 30dps...

By your math, we both attack the same ammount of times in 4 seconds, but my dagger is almost twice as fast as your mace, so I'm actually throwing down a lot more hits, with many of them also dropping poison, which makes up for any lower damage, plus I can also SnD, which means I hit even faster.  It's all a gamble really, one I am actually going to test out, but with swords instead of dagger once I hit level 30. We'll see how it goes.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2005, 06:33:15 AM »

Well you don't want to primarily lean on SS in a dagger build, but you still use the skill heavily. Only SS and gouge give CPs during normal fighting (you can't BS without stunning in some fashion), and gouge has a longish cooldown (especially with no points in the talent), so even a dagger build is going to use quite a few SS's.

Of course you should always gouge if you can. It's a really hard habit for me to get into, but it makes sense. Even if you don't have the energy for a BS, you're basically getting 4 seconds of free energy regeneration at no cost. Also useful for running away.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2005, 08:26:47 AM »

Quote from: "scubabbl"

By your math, we both attack the same ammount of times in 4 seconds, but my dagger is almost twice as fast as your mace, so I'm actually throwing down a lot more hits, with many of them also dropping poison, which makes up for any lower damage, plus I can also SnD, which means I hit even faster.  It's all a gamble really, one I am actually going to test out, but with swords instead of dagger once I hit level 30. We'll see how it goes.

Sinister stike is not based on speed. so the higher damage you do per hit, the higher your dps.

daggers in my experience are harder to find (good ones at least) so chances are the mace also has higher dps.

Thus, the mace is doing higher damage with ss and the same or more damage with default attacks. You proc poison more with daggers, but not that much more. Riposte also does more damage with maces Tongue

Koz: this is why ss mace builds are better at soloing. The only way you will compete against a mace user when you are using daggers is by using backstab.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2005, 09:21:57 AM »

Yes, I now wield a sword main hand and will never switch back. Damn I do a lot of damage.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2005, 03:00:52 PM »

This is the hammer i use by the way: http://www.thottbot.com/?i=5177

Maces generally are a bit slower than swords and thus do more damage with sinister strike, at least this has been my experience. Of course, if i ever find a really great sword (or dagger for that matter), i will switch my spec.
JRC1978
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2005, 10:30:40 PM »

Yes, swords and maces are FAR superior to daggers if you are talent specced for Sinister Strike and Eviscerate.  An Ambush/backstab rogue can't even dream of putting up the massive crits I do.  Add that to my mace specialization build and I can nearly stun lock other people for a whole fight.  I also have the ability to disarm other players for 6 seconds.

When the difference is noticeable is when an enemy rogue sneaks up on me and backstabs me.  If he is of similar level, he never wins against me.  I can drop a rogue incredibly fast.  Even high AC classes are easy.  I had a 41 warrior jump me when I was 40.  I was already at half health and I still dropped the warrior within  15 seconds.  Once I disarmed him he did not have a prayer, and he was stunned most of the time to boot.  

You dagger rogues and keep your little pokers, gimme a mace any day!  

Tongue
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2005, 11:15:25 PM »

I "one hit" a standing NE mage at full health a couple of days ago with my ambush slywink I was level 43, she level 41.  Good god it was hilarious.  I got her mid cast.  Bet I scared the bejeesus outta her.  Ambush is by far and away my favorite rogue attack.  Thing is I have to pick my targets carefully.  I avoid pallies and warriors.  Everyone else is fair game.  The ambush just creams cloth wearers, does great on leather, but not too well on mail/plate.  Evis seems the same way.  So far the only thing I dislike about my dual dagger assassination/subtelty build is that decent daggers are damn hard to come by.  I'm on the verge of going to swords just for that reason  :cry:

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2005, 11:26:14 PM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
I "one hit" a standing NE mage at full health a couple of days ago with my ambush slywink I was level 43, she level 41.

Night Elves can't be Mages.  You probably killed a Priest.

EDIT:  Not like there's anything less cool about that.  Priests are much harder to kill in 1v1 PvP than Mages are!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2005, 11:29:34 PM »

Oh, and I thought I'd chip in:

The biggest difference between Combat and Assassination Rogues is that Combat Rogues use Stealth for defensive reasons, while Assassination Rogues use it for offensive ones.

IE, if you think Stealth is a cool ability to be used when you want to avoid or escape combat, you should look at a Combat Rogue.  OTOH, if you like the idea of creeping around in Stealth all the time and waiting til your enemy's back is turned, Assassination is probably for you.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2005, 12:58:06 AM »

Yes, must have been Priest then.  A very dead priest slywink  I agree with what you said, you can shape your build to how you like to play your rogue.  I like the sneaky, backstab aspect of being a rogue.  OTOH, I have seen some very impressive dual sword wielders, but it isn't my style.  I really think Blizzard did a good job with this class, making it fun, balanced, and varied.

Just curious, any of you other Horde rogues just get plastered by paladins?  They are one tough nut to crack, for me anyway.  But, that's ok with me.  I understand the whole rock-paper-scissors approach.  A paladin killing machine I am not.  And did I mention I hate being "sheeped" ?   :lol:

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2005, 03:55:29 AM »

I have yet to beat a paly even one under 2 or 3 lvls of me...and not with just my rogue.

Thing is in a fight I get to heal ONE time with a good potion....a paly can get his normal healing spell off occasionally and then gets lay of hands also for a full heal....then they have the armor and the damaging wep....palys are just a mess to duel.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2005, 09:24:19 AM »

Rogues, especially Assassination/Subtlety ones, have a very hard time against Paladins.

Currently the best classes against Paladins are Mages, Priests, and Warlocks.  Mages can just blast the hell out of them before they know what's happening, Priests anihilate their mana, thus making them unable to heal, and Warlocks just chain-fear Paladins to death when they hit around 50% HP.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: