http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 11:41:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW: The Installation Dance  (Read 2052 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2004, 06:13:34 PM »

So I caved and bought the game.  Yes, I suck as a person.

So far it's been about 20 minutes and I'm only on install disc 2.  What's taking so long?  Jesus, even STEAM went faster than this!   :wink:

On a naughty note, the human female mage on my Disc One cover thingie is H-A-W-T.  And I'm not talking about the fireball she's holding!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 06:27:14 PM »

My collector's edition (yes, I'm a punk) should be arriving at my house via free FedEx overnight before 3pm.  Maybe I should take a nap now so that I can stay up all night starting my new character.   biggrin

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 06:27:52 PM »

I have to admit I noticed that fine feminine figure as well. The whole boobs/waist ratio is a little out of whack though.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 06:31:35 PM »

Quote from: "Koz"
I have to admit I noticed that fine feminine figure as well. The whole boobs/waist ratio is a little out of whack though.
Shh!  You're ruining the roleplaying experience!!

:wink:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 06:36:45 PM »

Doh, I didn't see the disc one cover.  I'll have to look.  I used the DVD to install (I'm a sucker and grabbed the collector's edition), and it took forever to install from the dvd.  EQ2 was much quicker, at least that is how I remember it.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 07:03:29 PM »

Their installs have always taken a long time.  In the beta, you didnt notice it though because you were worn down by the glacial pace of the BT client.

I am big time worried about overcrowding.  Are any of you in-game yet and can report on it?  The boards are not painting a very favorable picture and a measly two RP servers is at least 500% less than they need.

olaf
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 07:18:07 PM »

Entering the eastern RP server was not fun. :\

For one thing, the NE starting area was certainly overcrowded. Spawn rates are boosted, but I'd get into a 6-10 and then a 10+ zone as soon as possible. But I have a larger problem with the population. You have three types of individuals:

1. Completely new players, who are either unaware of the "role-playing" element, or are choosing to ignore it.

2. Snarky beta players who interpret "role-playing" loosely, and are quick to call you "elitist" if you suggest that others move OOC banter to the OOC channel, and so forth.

3. Role-players who are very kind and genuine, but whose lurid adherence to perceived lore and/or attempts to speak in arcane English grate on the nerves terribly.

You'd guess that this will calm down over the next several days, but I'm not so sure-- there are only the two RP servers right now, and they're both densely populated. I suspect that everyone's trying to escape from the immature crowd, but the RP servers surely have their own brand of trolls.

I'm a creative type who enjoys playing in-character within reason, but I'm honestly considering switching to a less-populated PvE server. I only hope that it too will have a mature, creative population in part.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 07:22:38 PM »

I'd suggest straying from the RP servers, Sudy.  I've never had a good experience on one -- everyone is either not RPing enough ("zomg roofles u nub") or RPing too much ("What dost thou meanth by 'Heal?'  Willst thee for me to calleth upon the mighty and terrible restroative powers of mine God?") for your personal tastes.

Just pick a PvE server and roleplay when you want.  You'd be surprised how quickly people start feeling awkward and attempt to play their character along with you.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 07:32:59 PM »

Good advice, Lord Eb. My tastes in roleplaying are certainly generally quite different than that of the mainstream; I'm not quite sure why I thought I'd find my home on an RP server. Worked well enough in CoH, but then, that game was "comfortably casual" all-around. And there, lore rarely conflicted with individual roleplaying decisions.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 09:20:07 PM »

The first thing I noticed was that all of the PvP servers had a high load (folks, this was at 10am) and the PvE servers had a low load.

I was laughing my ass off, as people were organizing level 8-12 raids into Alliance territory, and then 30 minutes later coming back and going "well, that sucked."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: