http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:42:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW - The Hunter Class  (Read 5503 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2004, 01:54:48 PM »

So it is obvious we are seeing LOTS of Hunters out there.  I wouldn't be surprized if it is the MOST popular class server-wide, in the game.  Certainly Alliance-side anyway.

Here are what I consider the top reasons for this:

1. We get pets.  We can name these pets.  We can teach these pets new tricks.  We can take direct control of these pets if we want.  These pets can die, and the cost to 'rez' them is insanely minimal.

2. We do good damage at a good dps at range, with little fear of death most of the time.  

3. We have (eventually) 3 of the 4 armor skill proficiencies. (minus shields)

4. We can dual-wield  (swords, axes, daggers... take your pick).  And if you want to wield a two-hander... yep, we can do that too.

5. We can be Elves or Dwarves, arguably two of the 'cooler' races in the game.  And that's not even mentioning Horde side choices.

6. We can function very well by ourselves, especially if stocked up with a few potions.

7. In a pinch, we can fight hand-to-hand.  No, not super, but at least we can do it.  Most ranged classes get in hand-to-hand, and begin looking for the escape hatch immediately.

8. Guns or Bows - Both very cool choices.

9. No super weaknesses.  Nitpick all you want, but in reality, there aren't any glaring weaknesses I have heard yet that hold water compared to the other classes deficiencies.  (excluding Shaman, they don't count)

10.  Some of the 'scouting' abilities are just great and make you feel very much like a quasi-magical Ranger type guy.

11.  Ability to set and use traps.  Granted, traps aren't going to win any awards for being uber in any way, shape, or form... but they are a great concept and can be used strategically.

12.  Just overall FUN to play.

What did I miss that makes them such a great class for you guys?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 02:22:28 PM »

Once your pet learns growl, they can keep a monster focused on themselves while I smack them down with a hail of arrows.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 02:38:00 PM »

Hey, I'm level 8 now, when would I be able to use a gun instead of a bow?  

I probably missed something somewhere smile

I agree with all your points Lockdown, and I don't even have a pet yet.  I just got concussion shot and it's awesome.  Now I can take down mobs around my level without swinging my dagger (finally/!).

One more thing, I'm not real clear on how I can train to use a sword.  The only melee options availabe to me are daggers.  I went to the weapons trainer and had no luck.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 02:45:14 PM »

Definitely the most popular class.  According to my quick survey with Cosmos last night, and Butterknife's post in the forum, Hunters are more then 21% of the population.  

Hunters are a lot of fun though.  I'd say one weakness may be moving through crowded dungeons with them, or other areas, as the pet may be harder to control in this areas.  The pet also makes for a weak tank compared to a Paladin or Fighter, and the hunters ranged attack isn't as strong as a Mage and only hits one target.  

You can train guns at Ironforge for 10s.  You can train swords probably at the Elves capital city, and definitely at Stormwind.  I trained 2H swords with my hunter and love the animation.  Duel wielding is probably the way to go eventually though, more stat bonuses for the two weapons.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 02:56:15 PM »

I agree Scott.  Going through tight dungeons is not my favorite thing to do with my hunter by a long shot.  (get it... 'long shot'  -  err... nm).

...and if that's one of my 'big weaknesses', heh... no problem, I can deal.

The class so rocks.

Eco - All you need to do is find the proper weapon trainers and have the 10 silver.  Easy as pie.  And if you like concussion shot, wait until you hit 10th and get talent points!   You can actually improve it even more, albeit sporadically.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 03:23:27 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
 The pet also makes for a weak tank compared to a Paladin or Fighter, and the hunters ranged attack isn't as strong as a Mage and only hits one target.  

I play using a lvl 21 night elf hunter and my pet (a nightstalker cat i can't seem to bear to part with) has more HP than me.  I'm continuously impressed by the amount of damage he can soak up.  As for not having any skills for hitting multiple targets, that's wrong.  multishot, for one, will show up on your skill list eventually and that (at rank 1) hits up to three different targets.

i'm diggin' my character.  i'll probably stick with him...although i'm messin' around with about 4 other alts at this time  biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
programmerbob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 03:55:08 PM »

I have a level 26 orc hunter.

One thing you want to look at is the pets within each class of pet(i.e. bear, cat, bird, etc) have different attack speeds when you get them(this stat does not change when your pet levels up).

For example I had a savannah huntress(it had 2.0 attack speed), My current pet also a cat(a night stalker-blue/black with white spots.) has an attack speed of 1.3. I have heard another cat has 1.2 attack speed(a needles cougar). These are all in horde areas but probably they have similar cats for alliance. I think 1.2 is the fastest attack speed from what I've heard.

--Eco make sure you check all three major cities they have weapon trainers that only do some of each of the weapons. I went and put the cash in at each place about level 15 to train in swords(1h and 2h),2h axe, basically everything(no need for polearm though which I accidentally bought and is 1 gold). I am currently using a 2h axe, but may dual wield later(for stat purposes(2 +agility weapons), not damage, or use a 2 handed sword, depending on what drops or I purchase in the Auction House. Although if I find a cool polearm I might just use it for uniqueness.

I didn't realize hunters were the most played class in some PvE servers.

Xbox Live tag: joephis1
AIM/ESO Tag: UTBurner
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 04:36:58 PM »

As for not having any skills for hitting multiple targets, that's wrong. multishot, for one, will show up on your skill list eventually and that (at rank 1) hits up to three different targets.

True, I forgot about that.  I guess I meant that you can't hit a lot of targets like in some of the instances, and hit them from close range.  

From my research, it seems that pets are pretty much the same if you level them versus getting new ones.  A cat is a cat is a cat.  Is that wrong?

---
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 06:25:03 PM »

As for not having any skills for hitting multiple targets, that's wrong. multishot, for one, will show up on your skill list eventually and that (at rank 1) hits up to three different targets.

True, I forgot about that.  I guess I meant that you can't hit a lot of targets like in some of the instances, and hit them from close range.  

From my research, it seems that pets are pretty much the same if you level them versus getting new ones.  A cat is a cat is a cat.  Is that wrong?

well, pets can have (as someone else mentioned somewhere) faster attack speeds, more HP, more damage output, and different skills/talents (that can then be transfered to you and then to another pet later) depending on the actual species.  so that could be a big factor in your decision to stay with your current pet or get a new one.  true, pet skills/talents are currently being implemented in a much larger fashion according to blizzard and there's currently not a lot there, but once they've got it in place it should be a pretty big deal.

but you're right (as far as i've seen at lvl 21) in that there aren't any close combat, multi-target options.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 06:32:20 PM »

You can train guns at Ironforge for 10s.  You can train swords probably at the Elves capital city, and definitely at Stormwind.  I trained 2H swords with my hunter and love the animation.  Duel wielding is probably the way to go eventually though, more stat bonuses for the two weapons.

I dunno about the dual-wield thing.

My hunter got dual-wield at 20, but the increased miss rates were driving me crazy.  I had a total of +4 AGI from the two weapons.

Last night my level 21 hunter found a sweet 2-H axe at the Auction House with a +8 AGI bonus.  I dont' miss nearly as much anymore AND I doubled my AGI bonus!

Dual-Wield looks very cool, and if I find two weapons with good stat bonuses I'll switch back, but it appears 2-H weapons have at least twice the stat bonuses of common 1-H weapons, without the DMG and hit rate penalties of dual-wielding.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 06:34:02 PM »

Quote from: "Exodor"

I dunno about the dual-wield thing.

My hunter got dual-wield at 20, but the increased miss rates were driving me crazy.  I had a total of +4 AGI from the two weapons.

Last night my level 21 hunter found a sweet 2-H axe at the Auction House with a +8 AGI bonus.  I dont' miss nearly as much anymore AND I doubled my AGI bonus!

Dual-Wield looks very cool, and if I find two weapons with good stat bonuses I'll switch back, but it appears 2-H weapons have at least twice the stat bonuses of common 1-H weapons, without the DMG and hit rate penalties of dual-wielding.

cool, thanks for the advice!  

is your hunter orc and that's why you can use 2H axes?  or did you train?

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »

I'm enjoying my hunter too but have a slowly growing nerf fear frown

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 02:41:00 PM »

How do you train pets with new skills?  I tamed a bear, got Claw II, and used it a couple times and got the 'learned new skill' line.  I then tamed a new pet, a cat, and I can't see the claw 2 skill to train the cat with.  Very frustrating.

Also, where can we get raptors as a Night Elf, and what is the earliest level to make the trip?

Any other fun, rare pets?

As far as the nerf stick.  I'd be afraid too.  I think the hunter is my alt, but jeez is it easy to play.  Playing a hunter takes so little planning/thought compared to some of the other classes it seems.  Levelling/questing is so easy and relaxing smile.

---
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 03:06:14 PM »

I then tamed a new pet, a cat, and I can't see the claw 2 skill to train the cat with.

If I recall correctly cat types can't take claw.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 03:26:43 PM »

Sure they can.

Scott - the following is assuming you know nothing.  Don't take offense if this is obvious:

Go into your skills tab, and look under the Slingshot Icon which I believe is under beast mastery.

You should see (most likely in a green color) the words Claw 2.

With the pet you want to train out (with you at the moment), simply highlight Claw 2 and hit the Train button.

You should see the yellow light thing appear over your animal to know it was successful.

On the animal quickbar (I THINK) - the claw 2 automatically replaces Claw 1 (if you had it).  If not, I am pretty sure there is an icon you can drag to your animal quickbar... not sure though.

Kitana (my Moonstalker) has Claw2, Bite2, Cower1, and Growl2, which fill up her bar.

It has been so long since I taught her anything new though, I may be forgetting a step, or saying it a bit wrong.

But you should figure it out.

[She just hit level 14, and is one baaaaad kitty!  Most of the time, with her using Claw 2 and attacking so fast, I don't even need to use Growl or Bite for her to retain aggro until the bad guy is dead as a doornail.]

LD

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 03:43:43 PM »

Thanks for the help.  I've seen a pet tab show up at times, but not for my new cat.  I can see it on my wolf though.  I didn't see the Claw 2 skill anywhere in my spellbook, which is my confusion.  I'll look again, thanks.  I also have cower learned, so I'll need to train that too.  

Is this right? http://www.goodintentionsguild.info/hunters.html  It claims cower 2 is for pets about 15?

Also, what do pet skill points do/mean?  My pets have a bunch of skill points, but I have no idea what they apply to.  Maybe my pet doesn't have enough points to trian the skills?  (I'm level 14, just went and grabbed a snow leopard to be a bit different, and it is only level 10 now I think and climbing).

I've played the hunter sporadically, but do enjoy it.  I think I'd play more if it wasn't the most popular class.  Though my rogue is a lot of fun, and I'm starting to appreciate the mage I'm trying out.

---
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 03:54:40 PM »

Scott, a lot of common Hunter questions are answered in this thread at the WoW Hunter boards.  There's also several links at the bottom of the first post which contain lots of other helpful information.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 04:17:25 PM »

Scott, a lot of common Hunter questions are answered in this thread at the WoW Hunter boards. There's also several links at the bottom of the first post which contain lots of other helpful information.

Thanks.  I've read a lot in the forum over the past couple of days.  I'm still not sure what the pet training points do exactly though smile.  

I've also learned from those forums that all the classes suck, are gimped, and I shouldn't waste my time playing them smile.  Except maybe for the rogues at least.

---
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004, 04:22:58 PM »

If you open up the Train Pet window (or whatever it's called, it's in the skill book) you'll see that each skill costs a certain number of points to train.  As your pet levels up and gains loyalty to you, it'll earn training points that can be used to teach it skills like growl, claw, bite, and cower.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004, 06:22:07 PM »

If you open up the Train Pet window (or whatever it's called, it's in the skill book) you'll see that each skill costs a certain number of points to train. As your pet levels up and gains loyalty to you, it'll earn training points that can be used to teach it skills like growl, claw, bite, and cower.

Thank you.  I figured that was it.  My new pet probably isn't the right level yet or have enough points to learn the skill.

So... raptors, where and how?  If I was a troll hunter, it'd be easy, but as a NE, I don't want to wait so long ;-).  Then again, my snow leopard does look really nice.

---
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2004, 07:01:12 PM »

How do you train pets with new skills?  I tamed a bear, got Claw II, and used it a couple times and got the 'learned new skill' line.  I then tamed a new pet, a cat, and I can't see the claw 2 skill to train the cat with.  Very frustrating.

Also, where can we get raptors as a Night Elf, and what is the earliest level to make the trip?

Any other fun, rare pets?

As far as the nerf stick.  I'd be afraid too.  I think the hunter is my alt, but jeez is it easy to play.  Playing a hunter takes so little planning/thought compared to some of the other classes it seems.  Levelling/questing is so easy and relaxing smile.

heh, enjoy that while it lasts. Once you get  more of your skills there are quite a lot of options and strategies hunters to choose between, often during the heat of combat.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2004, 07:21:34 PM »

heh, enjoy that while it lasts. Once you get more of your skills there are quite a lot of options and strategies hunters to choose between, often during the heat of combat.

Compared to playing a rogue?  I doubt that, but we'll see smile.

---
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2004, 08:11:07 PM »

So... raptors, where and how?  If I was a troll hunter, it'd be easy, but as a NE, I don't want to wait so long ;-).  Then again, my snow leopard does look really nice.

You'll have to pay a visit to The Barrens to grab a younger Raptor. It's linked off the Night Elf Territory, but you'll have to travel through a relatively safe (following the roads and with a map) 20-30 zone to get to it.

Personally, I'll be sticking with a cat in some shape or form. 1.3 attack speed (yes, 1.3 seconds per attack instead of the more common 2.0), can learn all four currently available skills, has about as much HP as I do at 30 (950ish HP), and eats just about anything.

Why do you want a 1.3 second pet? Casters. While your pet still has the same DPS overall, attacking that quickly utterly kills casters. I've taken down a level 28 Werewolf something (a caster) taking absolutely no damage at 29, as it dared to cast a spell. Between my 1.3 second cat and my 1.5 second (after quiver bonus) bow, he couldn't get a single spell off before he dropped dead. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2004, 08:54:44 PM »

The other thing I can add regarding the training points for pets, is that in order to teach your pet skills like "Bite 3" (Rank 3) or "Cower 1" you'll have to learn them from beasts you have tamed!  I found this out through a lot of trial and error.  The only beast skill I've seen taught by trainers is the growl skill (let me know if you've found any others).  Claw 3 I learned after I tamed a Black Bear Patriarch in Loch Modan.  After you've fought with the bear for a little while (it will have the skill initially) you will "learn" the skill from the bear as long as you are a high enough level.  I'm not sure but claw 3 might require you to be level 15, for example, to learn it.  I think certain cats have cower, but I haven't found that yet in my wanderings.  Bite 3 you can find off of certain spiders of a high enough level.  This is the main reason why we have a stable, so you can experiment with other pets to try and find new skills.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2004, 03:21:39 AM »

I had a 20ish tauren hunter in beta. Was pretty fun solo, but i fought through that dungeon below that one big tauren city and found it kind of boring. I just used hunter's mark on the target, waited for the warrior to engage, sent my pet in (passive in dungeons of course), poison sting and then arcane shot until death. Sometimes i had to move around a bit when the warrior lost agro , but generally not. My pet wasn't powerful enough to tank this instance, although i don't remember why. I think i might have been the low level guy in the group.

I enjoyed my level 20ish gnome warlock much more.

Now i am playing a night elf rogue (30!) and liking it quite a bit. Positional styles, moves that use combo points, lots of little special abilities, insane damage (yay for 200 damage backstabs half of the time and in groups, i do a ton of backstabs) and best of all, stealth!

Stealth is great. I just snuck into the gnome dungeon, all the way to the Viscous fallout (level 30 elite by the way) and assaassinated it to get my Toxic revenger (great level 27 dagger)

Unlike mages, i also rarely have a problem with being attacked after doing my insane damage. Nearly all of the time, feint is enough to get the mob off of me even after i have just done a 200 damage backstab and a 350 damage eviscerate.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2004, 04:18:48 AM »

Expect a Hunter nerf soon.  Blizzard has traditionally looked at player percentages in their games before choosing a set of sides/classes (usually the highest/lowest percents) to personally "go in the trenches" with and investigate imbalances in.

Since Hunters are overwhelmingly the majority, 37 bucks says they're getting very closely looked at for a joyous "rebalance."

Other classes that will (likely) be nerfed:

-Paladins
-Shamen

Classes that will possibly be buffed:

-Warriors
-Druids
-Mages (but only after a couple patches, I theorize... Blizzard did plenty of work on Mages in beta)
-Warlocks (but only after MANY patches, I theorize... Blizzard hates this class)

"Stable" classes:

-Rogues (this is objectively true--Blizzard has stated they consider Rogues a "complete" class).
-Priests

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2004, 10:42:42 PM »

I'm level 12 now and have a Moonstalker as a pet.  What a great game.  Easily my 2nd favorite game released this year, behind HL2.  

I need to get to Ironforge from Auberdine, anyone care to tell me how?

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004, 12:48:05 AM »

Take the boat to Menethil Harbor from Auberdine.  From there you just have to follow the road and watch out for high level baddies.  You'll find yourself in dwarf territory soon enough.  I only died about 3 times on that road!   biggrin
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004, 05:43:57 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Take the boat to Menethil Harbor from Auberdine.  From there you just have to follow the road and watch out for high level baddies.  You'll find yourself in dwarf territory soon enough.  I only died about 3 times on that road!   biggrin

I made it!  I did die once.  Those darn crocs are rough.  

Thanks for your help.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2004, 04:55:11 PM »

Here is a movie of an expert hunter playing.  Pretty intersting imho.

http://www.pandadesigns.com/wow/SoloHunter.wmv

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2004, 03:09:06 PM »

I played with a hunter in an instance last night (Blackfathom Deeps) and the hunter wasn't the most effective member.  A couple problems it seems:

- traps weren't terribly effective, and actually hurt when they broke Poly and other stun spells

- keeping the pet on a leash was difficult at times, though this could be the hunters fault.

- The hunter really didn't have a focused place.  Yes, the pet and hunter did damage, but otherwise, I can't think of a reason why I'd want one instead of another warrior, rogue, etc.  The hunter couldn't poly, couldn't heal, couldn't really tank, and didn't really add to the group utility.

It seems that hunters may be great to solo with, but I'm not convinced they will be great in the upper level instances and dungeons, when stuff gets really tough.  

(Blackfathom had my group fighting level 24+ elites, usually one or two at a time, or 4 at most.  I've heard other instances really get crazy as you level).

The rogue was awesome to have with sap and his damage.  The warrior held aggro very well and tanked.  We had a druid healing, so a priest probably would have been better to add the shield spells.  I played a mage and poly'd as well as doing some damage and area damage.

---
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2004, 03:49:32 PM »

Well I am up to lvl 26 now.  Loving the class and have done a good bit of grouping.  What I bring to the group is a secondary tank in my pet (great for holding an add at bay), and very good damage.  Other than that, no hunters add very little to a group.  Of course all of my groups have been pickup groups that were no where near optimal, so we did what we had to do to get by.

To the hunters out there...what pets are you using?  I have read all the faqs etc on the main forums, but am looking to hear from expierience what everyone likes.  My favorite pet so far is a bear... have tried many others and just don't feel like they are as effective.  However I would love to be different from the million and one hunters out there.  I tried a turtle, however at 26 the only turtles I could find to tame were lvl 15 in The Barrens.  I know there are supposed to be some in Blackfathom but would need a group to get in there and tame one.  I just couldn't handle trying to level up the turtle from so low when it couldn't do jack squat against anything that gave me xp.  I looked into a wind serpent, but it seemed to be overall a poor pet... is considered DPS High, but with a delay of 2.0 is very slow attacking, and was much less effective than an equal level cat.  I see a ton of cats, bears, raptors and crocs so would like to avoid them.  Has anyone tried out a wolf?  Was thinking of snagging one out in Ashenvale to try out.  Sometimes I wish I had about 6 stable slots.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2004, 03:57:40 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

I tried a turtle, however at 26 the only turtles I could find to tame were lvl 15 in The Barrens.  I know there are supposed to be some in Blackfathom but would need a group to get in there and tame one.  I just couldn't handle trying to level up the turtle from so low when it couldn't do jack squat against anything that gave me xp.

I have not played a hunter yet so do not know. What is the level difference you need to be at in order to tame a pet? Meaning if you are 30th can you tame a 30th level pet? Or do you need a little more breathing room?

I seen some 30th level turtles in the Shimmering Flats in Thousand Needles the other day.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2004, 04:01:38 PM »

From my experience I can tame up to my level - 1.  So lvl 31 to tame a lvl 30.  That said when taming a lvl 25 bear today, I died twice simply because I failed my taming attempt and was at about 20% health when it failed with no chance of running far enough to get away (was out of potions unfortunately).  I know there are lvl 25ish turtles in Blackfathom which are elites, so even tougher to tame and live heh.  But I can never find a group to go in there.

Guess I will just have to wait a few more levels to try a turtle.

Is also frustrating that for example owls... not all to common, but highest lvl owl I know of is lvl 9, until almost lvl 50.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2004, 04:56:08 PM »

What do I add to a party as a hunter?

-Secondary tank with my pet, great for intercepting adds as well as running down fleeing mobs

-solid ranged DPS

-target debuffs

-on the fly crowd control with concussive shot

-tracking ability; looking for Wumpus the woozle? I can spot him on my minimap if he comes anywhere near us. Need 10 incontinent orcs? I can pick them out of the crowds, from behind trees and over hills and can easily pull them from range.

-excellent assistance with multi pulls; we have shots that affect multiple targets and can bounce from target to target with DOT shots, letting the tanks keep aggro as we poison and debuff their foe. Our pet can be sent  to wherever it's needed and can easily pull aggro off of the healer.

-We're one of the classes that can stop that mage from casting that spell with a single trigger pull.

-if we need to we can grab aggro from pretty much anyone and can hold our own in a toe to toe melee while everyone else rallies

More as I think of 'em smile

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2004, 05:15:12 PM »

-Secondary tank with my pet, great for intercepting adds as well as running down fleeing mobs

Ack no!  The pet last night was fairly well controlled most of the time, but fleeing mobs caused others to aggro, and the pet doesn't seem to return or be as intelligent as a player catching fleeing thigns.

-solid ranged DPS

Compared to a mage though?  (Don't know)  But why not a rogue that really dominates from close in

-target debuffs

Like what?

-on the fly crowd control with concussive shot

Doesn't concussive shot have a small chance to actually stun, and mostly just slows a mob down?  Isn't the stun short lived though?  Doesn't sound dependable.

-tracking ability; looking for Wumpus the woozle? I can spot him on my minimap if he comes anywhere near us. Need 10 incontinent orcs? I can pick them out of the crowds, from behind trees and over hills and can easily pull them from range.

That was interesting last night, but then we were filtered down tunnels in the instance anyway, so useful, but it was obvious when we found the bosses.

-excellent assistance with multi pulls; we have shots that affect multiple targets and can bounce from target to target with DOT shots, letting the tanks keep aggro as we poison and debuff their foe. Our pet can be sent to wherever it's needed and can easily pull aggro off of the healer.

We had a pretty good warrior last night, and rogue, so luckily we didn't need the pet to do this.  

-We're one of the classes that can stop that mage from casting that spell with a single trigger pull.

Good ability.

-if we need to we can grab aggro from pretty much anyone and can hold our own in a toe to toe melee while everyone else rallies

I'm not sure about that.  From a mage, warrior, or healer healing to much?

From what I saw, the classes in a good group:

- Warrior - pretty obvious
- Priest  - even more obvious
- Rogue - Sap is great, as is the DPS
- Mage - for crowd control, area nukes, and DPS

After that, who knows..
- Paladin - very powerful and can heal
- Druid - can heal

- Warlock/Hunter probably tie

[/quote]

---
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2004, 06:14:45 PM »

Actually with a hunter, there should be no such thing as a fleeing mob between wing clip and concussive shot.  The pet is only as good as the person controlling it tho when it comes to a pet bringing adds.  We have a sting shot that greatly reduces strength and agility which can make a big difference to melee damage taken.

In the end, sure if you absolutely must have the most efficient group, then by all means pass up inviting the hunter... as far as I am concerned I wouldn't want to be invited to such an elitist attitude group.  If the group can succeed who cares on the classes.  Heck I had a group at lvl 24 do deadmines to kill vancleef... guess what the group was 2 hunters, one warlock, a priest and a druid, and we did just fine.  By no means an optimal group... but we did it, not a single death and were done before some people who were lfg when we formed (insisting on this ideal group make up) ever even got a group.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2004, 06:17:08 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Heck I had a group at lvl 24 do deadmines to kill vancleef... guess what the group was 3 hunters, one warlock, a priest and a druid, and we did just fine.  By no means an optimal group... but we did it, not a single death and were done before some people who were lfg when we formed (insisting on this ideal group make up) ever even got a group.

No wonder you succeded, you had a 6 person group when everyone else can only have 5... smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2004, 06:19:40 PM »

lol... sorry bout that... was supposed to say 2 hunters... petting the dog and typing with my offhand doesn't work too well.
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2004, 06:50:42 PM »

Is That what you call it... smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print