http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 04:40:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW Talent Respec'ing  (Read 3898 times)
Rob81Lakes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2005, 09:36:43 PM »

I would like to respec my 35 warlock so I can gain back the 2 or 3 points I wasted in the Affliction tree.  I am heavy Affliction now and plan to stay that way, but I want to also go Destruction to round me out to 60...getting back these points would really help.

My question...How much will this cost me?  I only plan on doing this once, and I understand that it will cost 1g to unlearn what I have now.   Do I then have to pay to re-allocate?

XBL gamertag:  Rob81Lakes
dangerballs
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 09:42:04 PM »

Quote from: "Rob81Lakes"
I would like to respec my 35 warlock so I can gain back the 2 or 3 points I wasted in the Affliction tree.  I am heavy Affliction now and plan to stay that way, but I want to also go Destruction to round me out to 60...getting back these points would really help.

My question...How much will this cost me?  I only plan on doing this once, and I understand that it will cost 1g to unlearn what I have now.   Do I then have to pay to re-allocate?

Nope, it will only cost you 1g. Once you hit the button to accept the respec all your talents get erased and you get to place them anywhere you wish.

Be careful though, you should know that if you have bought any additional ranks of powers/spells learned from talents, you will lose those too and will have to pay to learn those again.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 09:56:46 PM »

And next time you want to respec it will be more..like 5g or 10g..not sure...think it goes up to 25g.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Rob81Lakes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 10:19:24 PM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"
Be careful though, you should know that if you have bought any additional ranks of powers/spells learned from talents, you will lose those too and will have to pay to learn those again.

Ok, thank you!  This makes perfect sense.  Someone was trying to explain this to me in-game and I wasn't really understanding.

It sounds like the effort is definitely worth it, at least for my case.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 11:31:33 PM »

You can easily afford to do this a number of times.  Totally worth it to get where you want.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 03:31:03 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
And next time you want to respec it will be more..like 5g or 10g..not sure...think it goes up to 25g.

Close, but not quite. Here's the order:

1g, 5g, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 50, 50...

In short - it starts at 1, goes up to 5, and then adds 5 gold every additional respec until you hit 50 gold, where it stops.

Expensive the first time? No. After a few times? Heck yes.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 02:40:14 AM »

There is also the cost of relearning any talents that are not part of the core abilities of your characters.

For example, as a rogue, when I respecced and included Hemorrhage, I had to re-pay to train Hemrrohage Rank 2 and Rank 3 (about 2g total).

I am not sure if this would hold true for other classes, though I assume there it might be.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 08:48:42 AM »

Yes good point.  Almost all classes have something like this.  Warriors have Mortal Strike.  Some casting classes have spells that work the same way.

Its really kind of shitty that they will nerf or boost talents and not give you a free respec.

olaf
Rob81Lakes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 05:23:15 PM »

At lvl 35, my warlock only had to pay 1g for the respec, so I 'm very glad I did it.  The timing was perfect, because soon after, I picked up my first spell-from-talent, Siphon Life (rank 2).  Had I waited, my cost to respec at lvl 38 would have been almost double.

The best advice of course is to not screw up your talents in the first place!  If you do, fix it early!

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 06:23:47 PM »

With my mage, I didn't worry about changing talents until I got to 60.  I just went with what worked for me along the way.  At 60 is when I started to experiment with different builds.

The morale of the story?  Don't worry too much about how you do your talents since you'll most likely respec at 60 several times anyway.  At least that's what worked for me.  Did it the same way with my hunter too.  Although, I did respec once as my rogue but wasn't 60 yet...  :o
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 11:58:22 PM »

I usually advise not whats technically best, but whats most powerful (especially in PvE), at least until you are approaching 60.

Having said that, however, it doesnt hurt to respec and try out different things.  Too many people fixate too much on what the 'best' spec is, but different people have different styles.  

If I have another person tell me not to cast shadow spells as a priest, Im going to go postal  :twisted:  They dont understand that using Vampiric Embrace is like casting Renew on the entire party, and doesnt require me to babysit everybody's health.

I know Rogue also has many different viable specs, which bring different strengths and weaknesses to them.  So I guess overall the best advice would be to level up and become familiar with the class, then keep toying with the Talent Calculator until you become familiar with what the talents are and what they bring to the table.

In my case, I have what I consider to be the 'perfect' priest build, but I admit it's really only perfect for me.  Others value different class roles more, and it likely wouldnt be as effective on a PvE server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: