http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 01:38:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW -- Suggestions for Improvement  (Read 2499 times)
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2004, 04:26:15 PM »

Here's some things I would like to see changed in WoW:

Wands/Thrown Weapons Auto-shoot  This was already suggested to Blizzard, and their official response was that "the auto-shoot feature is a perk for Hunters".  Well, that sounds silly to me -- Hunters have enough perks as it is.  Remember Diablo?  Remember how annoying it was to have to keep clicking each time to swing your sword?  In Diablo 2, Blizzard let you just hold the mouse button down, and it was a huge improvement.  Diablo 2 wasn't any less fun because you didn't have to click as much.  It isn't more "fun" to have to keep hitting the button, and if it isn't fun, why is it in there?  If you can't give me a reason for why it is more "fun" this way, it needs to be taken out.  One other thing -- every character in the game already has an auto-attack anyway (their melee attack).  Why isn't this a "perk" for warriors?  I'm not suggesting that the auto-attack should become a perk, I'm suggesting that their reasoning behind not allowing the auto-shoot for all characters is flawed.

Level Indicators in Quest Descriptions  I don't know if this is a feature of Cosmos or not, since I never play without Cosmos.  But in the Quest Log there is a level number associated with each quest.  It would be really nice if this level number was somewhere in the actual quest's description, so that you could see what level the quest was before you accepted it -- after all, that is the screen that has the "accept" and "decline" buttons, so having that information up front would be logical.  I know it's not that big of a deal to check the log after you accept the quest, and then discard it if it's too high of a level, but it is a small annoyance that doesn't have to be there.

More Hotkey Bars in standard interface  I know that you can just get these from Cosmos or an alternative UI mod, but downloading and installing a custom UI mod is beyond the capabilities of 80% of the people playing this game.  Put it into the standard interface for the game, and just have some selection stuff in the options for people to enable and disable the hotkey bars if they want.  The more accessible this game is to the public, the more people will play it, and the more money they'll make on it.

Mouse-over feedback on Spirit  Would be nice to know how much mana/health is being regenerated per second by my spirit skill.  Mousing over other things gives you feedback on how much damage is absorbed (armor), dps on weapons, etc., and intellect / stamina have the obvious improvements to health and mana, but I would like to see more info for Spirit.

Improve the Search interface for Auction House  I can't tell you how many times I've gone to search for something, and left the "rare items or higher" flag enabled, and thought that nobody must have anything up for auction because the search results turned out as empty.  Maybe this should reset with each search?  I'm not so sure about this suggestion, but there should be some way to improve it.  Maybe put a list of what you searched for in the top of the search results screen when no results return, just so people notice.  For example:  Your search for uncommon reagents with the word "blood" returned no results  Then people might notice the "uncommon" or so on and modify their search, instead of thinking incorrectly that nothing was for sale.
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 04:50:51 PM »

I would like to see more tool-tips and help text for Talents and Skills and such.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 05:20:11 PM »

Remove the quest limit and maybe add a nicer way to view them.  It would good to let the player tag certain quests as ones they are actively working on so they don't have to look through through the list to refer to them.

Add generic quests.  One of the things I like from Might and Magic are the non-specific quests.  You meet some guy in town who is an art collector and is looking for 3 paintings but has no idea where they are.  As you wander the world you just find them or clues to them.  I like that.

More quests where you revisit previous areas.  Seems for the most part once you get to know a town and the names of the people there it is time to move on. I know they are trying to impose level segregation between zones but the world would feel more alive if you have reasons to revisit previous locations.

More depth to the quests.  Maybe this is a MMORPG limitation of having groups of people playing together but a small conversation tree for key NPCs would be nice.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 05:48:00 PM »

Improving the search function at the AH...yes please.  

Improving the default interface...eh maybe.  I've been using Gypsy and love it compared to the original.  Absolutely no problems.  Download one file (the loader), open it, select which components you want, downloads and installs automatically and then can launch WoW for you.  Easy when the patch breaks the UI and you have to redownload.

Quest log - level in the descriptions would be nice.  

Default minimap - mark areas and have the marks actually stay between sessions.

Weather - don't care but would be nice.  Might kill performance on low end machines though.

Auto shoot - HUNTER's only.  It's a perk and Blizzard is not going to change it.  It's been explained to death on the official boards...don't hold your breath waiting on this for other classes.

Quests - I don't think the limit should be removed but increased would be nice.  How about 40 instead of 20.  Or even 30?

Class balances - hurry up already.  Buff the warriors back up, fix the hurricane and cat forms (druid) and leave the mid range classes alone.  

One time moves - able to move from a high pop server to a low pop server one time.  

Guild member limits - only 500?  With 200 people and with each of them having 2 alts you're already over the limit.

Low end mounts - maybe.  Maybe a smaller mount available at 30.  Put it at 120% movement, make it 50 gold and tie it to a quest.  Make it available to everyone except the paladin smile

Level transitions - If you're walking between a jungle and ice mountain top then make the tunnel a lot of steps up/down or something other than a slight slope for 20 feet.  Have it make a "little" sense.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 06:13:18 PM »

Auto shoot - HUNTER's only. It's a perk and Blizzard is not going to change it. It's been explained to death on the official boards...don't hold your breath waiting on this for other classes.

I'll never give this up, in my mind it is an absolutely stupid design decision.  At the same time, it is a pretty minor design decision, so I would never let it ruin the entire game for me.  But no doubt about it, it is one of those little things that gnaws away at you -- every caster will agree with this.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 06:26:55 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
Auto shoot - HUNTER's only. It's a perk and Blizzard is not going to change it. It's been explained to death on the official boards...don't hold your breath waiting on this for other classes.

I'll never give this up, in my mind it is an absolutely stupid design decision.  At the same time, it is a pretty minor design decision, so I would never let it ruin the entire game for me.  But no doubt about it, it is one of those little things that gnaws away at you -- every caster will agree with this.

Yeah, i agree. A wand is not really that significant of damage. its not a primary means of attack (like a hunter's bow/gun is). Its just like meleeing for a priest or caster. As i priest, I can melee or use wand for my secondary attack. Melee is "auto shoot". Why can't wands be also?  A hunter's secondary attack is melee. It is automatic.

Plus, the "perk" part really is a stupid argument also. Oh, so its a "perk" to not have to hit a key over and over again and get annoying messages "Can't use that right now. Can't use that right now. Can't use that right now.".  Maybe they should remove a hunter's ability to auto-attack in melee then.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 06:48:32 PM »

I don't know.  Autoattack = guaranteed bonus damage without doing anything.  If I'm a mage and I just get bonus damage whenever I fight at a distance, that's a big deal.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 07:13:43 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
I don't know.  Autoattack = guaranteed bonus damage without doing anything.  If I'm a mage and I just get bonus damage whenever I fight at a distance, that's a big deal.

But isn't it the same thing except you have to actully hit the button every 10 seconds?

morlac00 on PSN
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 07:41:57 PM »

I'm generally busy doing other things in combat.   So yeah, it's a perk that I don't have to remember to hit the button and that it's timed perfectly.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 07:43:46 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
Here's some things I would like to see changed in WoW:

Wands/Thrown Weapons Auto-shoot

Won't happen.  It sucks there's not an Auto-Shoot, but Blizz is adamant about this.

Level Indicators in Quest Descriptions

Almost any UI mod has this feature.

More Hotkey Bars in standard interface

If you're smart enough to install WoW, you're smart enough to install a custom UI.  Seriously, just try it.

Mouse-over feedback on Spirit

I agree, that would be fantastic.  Unfortunately, it'd also reveal Spirt is utterly worthless, so I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

Improve the Search interface for Auction House

Blizzard has said this is in the pipeline.

My suggestions for improvement:

-Make Warriors a feasible class or just remove them from the game.  I just got done watching the video of a 60 Paladin pwning a 60 Warrior BAREHANDED.  The Warrior was wielding Dreadforge.  If you don't know what Dreadforge is, go check out Thottbot.

-Beef up Warlocks.  Currently, Warlocks = Necromancers in Diablo 2 v1.9 -- aka, stylish crap.

-Beef up Druids.  They're ass past 45.

-Fix buggy/wrongly described skills and talents.  IE, the Mage's level 20 Spell, Blink, doesn't break Roots or Stuns, like its description says it should.  This is only one example of many.

-Add equipment, "epic" level quests or whatever to give casters firepower which scales with melee power.  Melees can upgrade their equipment to do more than quadruple the DPS of casters.  Caster equipment, for the most part, doesn't do crap for their DPS.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 07:47:39 PM »

Add generic quests.  One of the things I like from Might and Magic are the non-specific quests.  You meet some guy in town who is an art collector and is looking for 3 paintings but has no idea where they are.  As you wander the world you just find them or clues to them.  I like that.

Play Horde... the quest descriptions are a lot less informative in some cases.

Guild member limits - only 500? With 200 people and with each of them having 2 alts you're already over the limit.

Never played CoH did you?

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 04:49:12 PM »

Thread....rising ....from depths.

Reliability and all that goes without saying.

More creature models.   Raptors are pretty amazing considering the varied environments that they can live in.  I would like to see less of the same thing thing as I travel.  

An independent quest thread for each race.  It seems that post WC3 there is a truce of sorts and each race is kind of pursuing their own agenda.     If there were a set of racial quests reaching toward an overall goal that stretched from level 1 all the way through 60, that would be pretty fun.  It would not have to be continuous and may have gaps ("You have served your people well and we will call on you again!") but it would be a continuous story arc that would set up WoW II or WC4.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 09:21:16 PM »

My #1 improvement suggestion:

ADD FATIGUE TO STOP THESE CLOWNS FROM FUCKING BUNNY HOPPING EVERYWHERE

Gah I hate that.

There. I feel better now smile
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 11:06:55 PM »

And remove fire from the Iron Forge auction house.  People standing in the fire intentional seem be the same as the bunny hopping variety.
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 12:02:21 PM »

It sounds like whining I know but add categories to the recipe category like there are for the armor and weapon categories.  I'm a hunter so I keep up on cooking (although alchemists have the same problem) every time I search for cooking recipes I have to type in "recipe" for the search function then I have to search through both alchemy and cooking recipes.  That's stupid.  Plus if I want to search for a thorium rifle schematic in engineering, using thorium returns all the blacksmithing stuff too.  Just allow me to click on engineering recipes and use "thorium".  It's really annoyinig.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 03:30:15 PM »

It's been a few more weeks and here's my updated list:

1. Remove the fire from the AH or go ahead and implement the AH in every city patch (Blizzard says it's in the works).  

2. Warriors have it bad.  They are a viable class in PvE (harder but viable) but suck in PvP.  Totally.  At the least their rage generation should be doubled.

2.5. Druids have it bad 40+.  Adjust the high level forms and bring their dps/armor and healing back into the realm of survivable.

3. Instead of nerfing skills and spells how about making them work according to their descriptions.  Or change the descriptions.

4. "Slightly" adjust the paladin.  Make the weapon quest level 25, make purify mana scale in level, leave the shields and seals alone.

5. Add a range spell to the Paladin (biased since I'm a lvl 24 Paladin now).  Nothing big...I'm thinking like the "shout of heaven" where it would do almost NO damage (very important) but instead serve the purpose of drawing a mob away from the group of 49 others he's standing close to.  I don't want a ranged attack, I don't want ranged damage but just a simple way to pull a mob.

6. Blizzard should take the best of the UI mods and incorporate them in the primary UI next patch or expansion.  Some of them are absolutely essential and it's almost criminal they were left out.  And so many people are new and non-technical that 90% will never try a different UI and get the benefits.

7. Stablity (or lack of).  Thank god I picked a server that is almost never down.  My wife is playing now and the problems some of the servers have had would have driven her away for good (constant crashes, lag, rollbacks, emergency maintance, etc).
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 04:43:54 PM »

Quote from: "RPGHero"
It sounds like whining I know but add categories to the recipe category like there are for the armor and weapon categories.  I'm a hunter so I keep up on cooking (although alchemists have the same problem) every time I search for cooking recipes I have to type in "recipe" for the search function then I have to search through both alchemy and cooking recipes.  That's stupid.  Plus if I want to search for a thorium rifle schematic in engineering, using thorium returns all the blacksmithing stuff too.  Just allow me to click on engineering recipes and use "thorium".  It's really annoyinig.

Amen brother!

Thing I'd like to see most at this point -- bring back fishing!  I never do it anymore, and I miss it frown
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 07:34:04 PM »

Quote from: "RPGHero"

Click the "usable items" checkbox.  It won't return schematics you can't use yet, which may or may not be a feature for you, but it will filter out recipes for skills you don't have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: