http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 08:49:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW Stats  (Read 3757 times)
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2004, 05:07:07 AM »

Some of you may already know about this but that there's an interface addon for WoW called WoWCensus which basically polls your server when you run it and then lets you submit the information to the database at this site:

http://www.wowcensus.com/

Obviously the more people who run the program and submit the info, the more accurate the stats will be.  Right now the page has stats based on 182,712 players, which is pretty impressive.  You can check stats for each individual realm, or overall.

Here's the current overall class popularity breakdown (based on 182,712 players):

Hunter: 34,080
Warrior: 27,112
Rogue: 27,035
Paladin: 19,397
Mage: 18,209
Warlock: 17,296
Druid: 15,738
Priest: 13,103
Shaman: 10,740

Pretty cool site, figured some may be interested smile

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 06:16:32 AM »

All them hunters are gonna be mighty surprised when they find out they can't solo the high instances, and have a hard time finding spots in groups.  Meanwhile, we priests are going to be in very high demand.  biggrin

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 06:43:28 AM »

But priests are boring  biggrin

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 01:37:50 PM »

Cool toy there. I will have to check it out.  

And for my own Hunter rebuttal:  I did an instance the other night with 3 Hunters and a Druid and we tore it up.  3 tank pets drawing threat + 3 range damage guys + 1 healer = good.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 03:22:04 PM »

I did an instance the other night with 3 Hunters and a Druid and we tore it up.

From what I've read/heard, the high level instances are way different then the lower ones like the Stockades and Blackfathoms.  Maybe you were in one of the higher ones though.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 05:28:11 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
All them hunters are gonna be mighty surprised when they find out they can't solo the high instances, and have a hard time finding spots in groups.  Meanwhile, we priests are going to be in very high demand.  biggrin

But I can solo anything I encounter short of the instances without any issues. biggrin

We're our own best group. And as already stated - get two or three hunters and make your own group. It's ugly just how powerful we are when paired or trioed up in a group.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 06:00:28 PM »

My priest hasn't had many problems soloing at all yet either.  I think it's been Blizzard's intention that any class can solo in the field, but that especially the high level instances would require a cohesive group.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 08:19:04 PM »

That 182,000 players has been upped to over 220k now being tracked...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 09:57:38 PM »

There really is a critical shortage of Priests.

olaf
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 10:34:24 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
There really is a critical shortage of Priests.

olaf

My theory is that if they nerf paladins downa bit the priest population will rise.  Heck I fell for it too... I played a priest for a while, and it's a lot of fun, but when I look at how much more I could be helping my usual group as a paladin... no contest.  Not only can I do a lot of what my priest can (maybe not quite as well smile ), but I can stand toe to toe and tank for the group while I do it.

My 1/2 cent,
s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 10:54:57 PM »

So does anybody know how to edit the version information so that the Census taker works with the new version?

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 10:58:27 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
So does anybody know how to edit the version information so that the Census taker works with the new version?

This SHOULD do it:

1. Go to your interface folder in the WoW directory
2. Open the add on directory. Each of the folders listed is a different ui mod. Look for the one that has the census code... not sre of the name
3. Open the directory and locate the .toc file.
4. Open the .toc file and replace this:

Code:

## Interface: 4062

With this:

Code:

## Interface: 4150

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 07:31:29 PM »

Normal MMO group makeup: 1 Tank, 1 healer, +Fill DPS/CC/Buffer

Doesn't look much like anyone's gonna be hurtin for groups.  Sides, raids kinda even things out a bit since you can have 40 people.

I think its gonna be funny seeing a 40 person raid take on a boss and there'll be 20+ pets wailing on the boss=) hehe.

The hunter is basically a DPS unit with a built in light tank for a sidekick in place of other things.  Very fun class to play if you love pets, but can get tiring if your not a pet lover.  I think the reason hunter is so popular is people like pets and well...using a pop gun in an MMO is kinda fun=)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 08:31:29 PM »

Since their site is almost always overloaded, I finally got the updated stats as of today:

Number of players (realms): 309,027 (88)
Most popular realm: Bleeding Hollow (11,696 players)
Alliance Players: 194,800
Horde Players: 114,227

Class Breakdown:
Hunter: 56,766
Rogue: 45,808
Warrior: 45,697
Paladin: 34,126
Mage: 30,809
Warlock: 29,044
Druid: 26,368
Priest: 21,960
Shaman: 18,442

Race Breakdown:
Night Elf: 72,542
Human: 67,685
Undead: 37,210
Dwarf: 33,799
Tauren: 29,726
Orc: 24,514
Troll: 22,777
Gnome: 20,772

You know, I don't get it - the Mages are arguably broken and Warriors are in desperate need of more love. So why does everybody play them? And the Shaman are arguably overpowered (like Pallys), but nobody plays them.

Now I'm confused.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 08:43:00 PM »

I dont know what they can do to make Priests more played beyond making them overpowered.  They were not well represented in beta even when Paladins sucked and Priests were godly.

That site is neat.  It shows that Humans+Night Elves outnumber all four Horde races put together.  I wonder what Blizzard will do to fix this?  Anything?  I do not believe the Horde will ever be as populous as the Alliance for the simple fact that there are no 'hot' Horde female models.

olaf
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2004, 08:55:45 PM »

When a game gets this popular, there are an awful lot of people who are playing who don't know or care that class X is lousy in high-powered instances or that class Y rules all with ability Z at level 40.

Mages and Warriors characters are popular because Mages and Warriors are popular fantasy archetypes, and they are fun enough to play that people don't immediately delete them.  

Shamans are limited to a couple of races on the horde side, and it's not immediately obvious what they do.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 09:26:39 PM »

Yeah, my friends and I fall into that category.  Actually we just try something, play it and don't really care about the balance stuff.  I solo with a Hunter but I have a Druid and Priest for playing with them.   Our character classes are just ones we didn't play in the stress/beta prior to release.  

I do see why Gnomes are last though.  I suggested starting a set of Gnomes but one of my friends just didn't think Gnomes were cool and that was that.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 09:26:59 PM »

And the Shaman are arguably overpowered (like Pallys), but nobody plays them.

Since the class is one faction, you could double it realistically if it was on both sides.  Also look at the Shaman's percentage of Horde players in general, and it is very high.

---
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 11:37:41 PM »

Interesting population stats. I play a Shaman and was surprised but if you break down the numbers by realm (via the relative figures given here) you get this for Horde only population distribution:

Hunter 21,003
Rogue: 16,950
Warrior: 16,900
Mage: 11,399
Warlock: 10,750
Druid: 9,756
Priest: 8,125

That seems more like the experience I've seen in-game. smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 11:48:34 PM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
Interesting population stats. I play a Shaman and was surprised but if you break down the numbers by realm (via the relative figures given here) you get this for Horde only population distribution:

Hunter 21,003
Rogue: 16,950
Warrior: 16,900
Mage: 11,399
Warlock: 10,750
Druid: 9,756
Priest: 8,125

That seems more like the experience I've seen in-game. smile

Yeah, that seems more like what I am seeing.

I am curious what it would look like if you factored out characters under 10th level. I make 7 other characters and took them to 6th-7th level so they could receive mail from my main (to alleivate his packratitis). I wonder if others did this as well.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2004, 12:49:32 AM »

The latest Cosmo UI has a census feature that will take a snapshot of the current faction you are on, and report on races, character types, guilds, etc.  It uses the /who command, so it only shows who is on that moment.  I think the census numbers look inline.  The Horde is usually at a disadvantage, while there are a ton of NEs.

---
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2004, 08:45:16 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
The latest Cosmo UI has a census feature that will take a snapshot of the current faction you are on, and report on races, character types, guilds, etc.  It uses the /who command, so it only shows who is on that moment.  I think the census numbers look inline.  The Horde is usually at a disadvantage, while there are a ton of NEs.

This site is based out of that information, actually. The plugin takes that information and uploads it to their server. Also why it's so horribly slow, too. biggrin

Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2004, 09:29:55 PM »

I'd have to agree that Shaman are very popular amongst the horde.  I see far more of those on my server.

Also, they are quite obviously missing some data.  Here's a great example:  Doomhammer

Come on, zero paladins on the whole server?  Actually, if you look closely, there are no alliance players according to the site.  And, that is of course baloney, as the alliance outnumbers the horde 2 to 1 on my server.
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2004, 06:25:47 AM »

Come on, zero paladins on the whole server? Actually, if you look closely, there are no alliance players according to the site. And, that is of course baloney, as the alliance outnumbers the horde 2 to 1 on my server.

"This information is solely based on the data submitted by Census UI/WoWCensus users, and may not be complete representation of the population at times."

It says 0 Alliance because none of the Alliance players on that server have submitted data yet.  Only takes one Alliance guy on that server to get complete stats for the time he is on - maybe you can do it?

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2004, 03:56:57 PM »

Only takes one Alliance guy on that server to get complete stats for the time he is on - maybe you can do it?

Never!  Long live the Horde!
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2004, 05:46:45 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
Only takes one Alliance guy on that server to get complete stats for the time he is on - maybe you can do it?

Never!  Long live the Horde!

good man, that Butterknife. smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2004, 06:00:20 PM »

Done and done.  Within the next hour there should be at least 1500 recorded Alliance players on that server.

Edited to update the number of players.  I am single handedly going to make their statistics more accurate!   :twisted:

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2004, 03:40:12 PM »

Can someone please explain how this site gets its numbers?  And how accurate is it?  How do I get counted?  311,000 seems like a huge number.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2004, 05:00:43 PM »

Quote from: "Torfish"
Can someone please explain how this site gets its numbers?  And how accurate is it?  How do I get counted?  311,000 seems like a huge number.

The site linked above has a mod you can download that in a nutshell does a /who command for every level range for the entire world (but only for your side).

Then it takes that data and uploads it to the site. Simple as that, more or less.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2004, 09:14:54 PM »

Wow, they just did a major redesign of their site and added a bunch of bar graphs and stuff.

And like Destructor said, the mod polls all of the players that are currently on your server and faction when you tell it to and then you can upload that data to their servers.  I've found myself doing a census poll as soon as I start up and before I log off, and for long sessions I usually even run one when I need to take a bathroom break or whatever.  I end up kind of taking pride in seeing new players detected and current player stats updated.   :o

And also, don't forget to get the new version of the Updater (1.4) if you've been using this for a while.  Apparently the older version won't upload the data correctly anymore.

For new users, be sure to open up the Census.toc file in the mod and edit the version number to be the current one (4150 right now).  Without this you won't be able to use it in game.  For some reason they haven't updated their downloadable version with this, although I did email them and let them know.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: