http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 01:23:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW - Should I bother?  (Read 3559 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2004, 12:01:20 AM »

Now, I know it seems like a goofy question to ask this, but I have the collectors edition sitting beside my PC and I'm not sure I want to install it. Maybe I should just sell it. <sigh> I've heard that it gets old quick, and that it's just more of the same.

I've held off on installing based on the fact that I didn't want to waste my first month over the holidays, but the more I think about it, the less I think it's a good idea to play it at all.

If the game was still sealed I would have likely sold the game online... (I got it for ~35US based on trading in 3 crappy games that cost me 25US, and paying the $10US to upgrade from standard to collectors ed. with the art and the pet thing). I guess I'm looking for someone to dissuade me from selling it; I really did want to play WoW a month ago. All the negative comments from my buddy and some of the stuff I've seen on the boards has thrown water on the fire.

Also, what does the pet do for you? (zergling/diablo/panda)

Any comments welcome.  crybaby

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 12:44:20 AM »

You know, I often read through the WOW forums and the WOWVault forums, and every time, I feel as if the game sucks based on what they say. But when I sit down and play, I can't figure out what the hell those people are talking about.  The game is absolutely fun to play. I'm having a good ol' time as a level 24 rogue right now and a member of Almost Heroes Guild on Wisperwind (CG unofficial guild).  

As for those pets, they are special pets for collector's edition only. They don't do much but follow you around looking cool. There are other similar pets people can get, such as cats, and parrots. Mainly it's a fluff thing. It just adds a little character to your character. My rogue, looking hella evil, has a little simese cat for a pet. I think it looks pretty sweet.

Now, if you play a warlock, or hunter, you can have pets or summoned creatures that actually do fight, and quite well if you ask me.

The terrain is varied, and areas unique, and the people friendly. I really enjoy it, and so do many others here on the board. I say go for it.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 12:49:29 AM »

Yeah, I have to say that WoW has grabbed me more than any other MMORPG has to this date, including Ultima Online, which up to this point was my favorite of them (perhaps because it was the first really immersive one).  In any case, I've played UO, EQ, EQ2, DAOC, AC, AC2, AO, and SWG.   I'm probably forgetting a few.  Generally I've fizzled out on those fairly quickly.  I've gotten to the highest level I've ever gotten in any of these kinds of games, and I still want to play.  The one great thing about it is that there is always something to do.  Loads of quests, that seem to stay just as plentiful as you level up, and there are always places to solo at just about every level.  And having the different cities and realms does make for a satisifying experience.  In an earlier post I compared both EQ2 and WoW, but I have to say that over the last several weeks, I have played WoW exclusively.  It's just a much smoother experience overall and it's easier to get into during any one gaming session (If you can't find a party, just take on some of the quests you can do solo).

That being said, it does have many elements found in those games.  For whatever reason it just got them about as right as possible.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 01:22:40 AM »

It sucks.  You need to drop it now while the collector's edition is hot.  Please contact me to arrange a trade for it  :twisted:

Anyway if you are at all interested then at least give it a try.  If you've tried MMOG types in the past and hated them then you probably won't like it.  If you've loved them in the past then you will likely love this one...at least a few months.  If it's already opened then you might as well use the month and give it a try...the collector's edition is worth about half of what it would be sealed anyway.

One thing I will say for it over EQ2 is that WoW can be 90% solo and 10% group while EQ2 is 90% group and 10% solo.  You level quick and can play for 45 minutes or 4-5 hours and get the same enjoyment out of it.

EDIT: The pet is decoration only.  It's a baby and basically follows you around.  Other than being cool and cute that's about it.  It basically justs lets people know you have a collector's edition copy.

BTW, if you decide to part it out I've been searching for the 10 day buddy key that comes in the collector's edition for weeks.  I would be willing to trade for it if necessary (I don't have any friends who bought the collector's edition).
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 05:05:45 AM »

Quote from: "ericb"
It sucks.  You need to drop it now while the collector's edition is hot.  Please contact me to arrange a trade for it  :twisted:

BTW, if you decide to part it out I've been searching for the 10 day buddy key that comes in the collector's edition for weeks.  I would be willing to trade for it if necessary (I don't have any friends who bought the collector's edition).

Yeah, I know the value is dropped (about 60US rather than 110US) at least according to ebay.

As to the 10 day buddy thing, why would you need it? Does it also give you a pet?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 11:55:23 AM »

No, the 10 day buddy key was setup by Blizzard so people who bought the collector's edition (unlike EQ2 where everyone got a 7 day buddy key emailed out) could give the key to a friend so they could try WoW without having to buy it.  It's not any type of special key and doesn't give any collector's edition extras...it's just a way for someone to try the game free for 10 days.  If they like it they still have to buy the game and register with the new CD key after the 10 days is up.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 12:14:01 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I guess I'm looking for someone to dissuade me from selling it; I really did want to play WoW a month ago. All the negative comments from my buddy and some of the stuff I've seen on the boards has thrown water on the fire.

It seems like to me that you really do not want to play the game and are trying to find excuses to dump the CE you got. There are some negative comments on these boards, but the large majority have been glowing reviews (to go along with the glowing reviews of review sites). You know as well as anyone that every game is going to have people that like it and people that do not. And that normally, when a large majority of the people like it, it is usually a decent game. A large majority of people on these boards and in the gaming community in general like WoW.

Go ahead and sell the CE since it looks like you want to dislike the game (like your buddy does apparently).
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 01:15:28 PM »

I"m no MMORPG fan by any means (I've tried a couple and never enjoyed them much except for a brief stint of City of Heroes) but I will tell you that right now I have Halo 2, Half-Life 2, the Painkiller expansion, Battle for Middle Earth and numerous other games just sitting around barely touched because I keep going back to WoW.  It's just so much fun and it gains in depth the more you stay with it (or at least it did for me).  It's consistently fun and if you need a change of pace/atmosphere you can just start up another character race and class and it's like a whole new game!  Seriously.  And I should mention that I was also in the last month of the open beta, and I haven't lost interest at all yet.  If I were you I would certainly give it a shot.  

As for Collector's Edition vs regular one, that's a toss-up.  I bought the CE because I wanted the art book, making-of and commentary DVD and the extra pet was sort of a bonus.  You also get the game on DVD and CD, so you can give one copy to the friend you give the 10 day trial to (or, like me, you can just use the 10-day trial for yourself and then sign up with your real CD key to get an extra week and a half for free).  If you don't care about any of those extras then I guess you can just sell it and buy a regular version, but at this point you won't likely come out much ahead.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 03:39:05 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
It seems like to me that you really do not want to play the game and are trying to find excuses to dump the CE you got.

Go ahead and sell the CE since it looks like you want to dislike the game (like your buddy does apparently).

The thing is, I was in the final beta and stress test, and I did enjoy it. I played the hell out of FFXI, and that game had longevity. It's not that my buddy hates his game, but he's finding it hard to go back to it. I dunno. I'm not looking to dump the game... I'm still on the fence as to whether it's worth it to play the damned thing or get rid of it.

The only knock against the game that I have is that it could chew up a LOT of time... how easy is the final retail to play for a while and then put it down? Also, I've heard the PK'ing is rampant on all servers... how does it work? I'm not against killing (or being killed should I be careless enough) but I really don't want to get smoked over and over again...

I'm not looking for an excuse to sell it; that's the easy way out. I'm looking for reasons to keep it.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 04:14:47 PM »

The thing is, I was in the final beta and stress test, and I did enjoy it. I played the hell out of FFXI, and that game had longevity. It's not that my buddy hates his game, but he's finding it hard to go back to it. I dunno. I'm not looking to dump the game... I'm still on the fence as to whether it's worth it to play the damned thing or get rid of it.

The only knock against the game that I have is that it could chew up a LOT of time... how easy is the final retail to play for a while and then put it down?
I'm not looking for an excuse to sell it; that's the easy way out. I'm looking for reasons to keep it.

The only knock you have against WoW is that it could chew up a lot of time and then you want reasons to keep and play it? Hehe, you confuse me. If it chews up a lot of time, that would seem to me to indicate you enjoy playing it. Which, would be a reason to keep it. Enjoy=keep it. Not enjoy= dump it.

Also, I've heard the PK'ing is rampant on all servers... how does it work? I'm not against killing (or being killed should I be careless enough) but I really don't want to get smoked over and over again...

On the "regular" servers all the PvP is consensual. Meaning if you do not want to PvP, you can never be attacked by the opposite faction. Over on the main WoW page you can read what they have in store for us with battlegrounds (essentially "PvP" zones with PvP goals). Just looking at their feature, these appear to be where PvP is going to happen the most. So if you want to stay away from the gank/grief factor, just go to a regular server where you can PvE in peace and hit the battlegrounds when you want to PvP some.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 04:38:49 PM »

I played the hell out of FFXI, and that game had longevity.

Only because 75% of the time with it was spent looking for a group, and the other 25% of the time was a sheer cliff of an exp grind worse than any MMORPG to date, barring the infamous Lineage 2.

World of Warcraft is approximately 200,000,000 times more enjoyable than the fetid trash FFXI was.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 05:48:54 PM »

Well, I'm a Level 12 priest on a server with a medium population, and I've found the other players to be nothing but helpful, friendly, and fun to group with.  If there's a big problem with PKing or griefing, I haven't encountered it so far.

I'm not a fan of MMORPGs -- most of them seem to consist primarily of levelling just for the sake of levelling, and the only goal is to suffer through the aggravation and tedium in the hopes of someday having a character who inspires envy in others.

That said, I'm really having a blast with World of WarCraft.  This game is not fun because you're in competition with others; it's fun because the different character classes are interesting to play, the world is colorful and diverse, and the questing system offers an easy and accessible way to explore the world and advance while you do it.

-Autistic Angel
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 06:05:21 PM »

Aww, just play it.  You know you want to.  Heck, all of us are playing it, else we wouldn't be here talking about it.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 06:51:59 PM »

To address your one question, for the most part you can play for as long or as short as you want and then log out.  You can start up, go kill some mobs to finish half of a collection quest, warp back to your home-inn, sell some goodies, log out and come back when you have more time.  Or just check the auction house, do some crafting, sell your goodies and check back in later.  

The only exception with this are the Instanced quest dungeons which you sort of have to finish in one go.  Those are not only optional but also come at a higher level once you have invested a bit of time in your character.  If you don't feel like doing instance or Elite quests (or play solo and therefore can't adequately take them on until you are high enough level) there are tons of other quests to keep you busy and send you to new areas.  

But, of course, the game is so much fun that there is no way you can just play it for an hour and put it down.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 06:55:09 PM »

I think it all depends on what kind of MMORPG player you are.  I'm the type that has picked them up in the past, played for a few weeks, then gotten bored.  For me, WOW is great.  I can hop on for a short time, accomplish some goals as a solo character, all without having to commit to a group to get anything done.  The quest system is the key, IMHO, as it provides a framework for what you are doing that other MMORPG's don't have.  While you are killing a bunch of low level baddies, you are also getting extra exp or items on top of that.  And, again, you can do it solo if that's what you want.  The no penalty death system also reduces frustration.

On the other hand, if you are the type that immerses themselves in an MMO and plays it religiously, then I think you will ultimately be disappointed.  The game's been out only a month and some people are already pushing the level 60 cap.  Those who play that way will probably get bored well before any expansions show up.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 12:08:18 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Only because 75% of the time with it was spent looking for a group, and the other 25% of the time was a sheer cliff of an exp grind worse than any MMORPG to date, barring the infamous Lineage 2.

World of Warcraft is approximately 200,000,000 times more enjoyable than the fetid trash FFXI was.

I think attitude played a role in getting into parties... I used to build 'em, and DAMN was I good at that. I didn't piss people off (and could be tolerant of annoying people). I left that game of 10 months with 2 people on my /blist.

The only place I had problems getting decent parties going was in Valkurm and Kazham; and that was only when the glut of PS2 people joined. I made some friends, had fun, and payed through the nose for it.

The level grind was, however, my reason for leaving.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2004, 12:14:58 AM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
Aww, just play it.  You know you want to.  Heck, all of us are playing it, else we wouldn't be here talking about it.

ninja searching.... searching...  :shock: Dammit.  :evil:

I will install it.... later. I guess. I don't wanna waste my free month on time I won't be able to play. next week (early) is most likely as I'm off all next week.

As to my playing style, I really did enjoy the level of escape that FFXI offered, and since you were forced to party it only made sense that linkshell people got to know each other. I wish I could still get in contact with some of my old FFXI buddies and link up with em on WoW

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2004, 07:05:12 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"

ninja searching.... searching...  :shock: Dammit.  :evil:

I will install it.... later. I guess. I don't wanna waste my free month on time I won't be able to play. next week (early) is most likely as I'm off all next week.

As to my playing style, I really did enjoy the level of escape that FFXI offered, and since you were forced to party it only made sense that linkshell people got to know each other. I wish I could still get in contact with some of my old FFXI buddies and link up with em on WoW

If you have the CE then just use the buddy key to try it out for 10 days.  If you don't like it you can always sell the game after (just make sure you let the buyer know they 10-day key has been used).  If you don't like it, I'll buy the game.  I really wanted all the goodies that came with it but couldn't find it anywhere.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2004, 07:34:21 PM »

Purge, if you're really dedicated to not playing World of WarCraft, I have two friends who would be more than happy to put it to good use.  Offer it up for trade and we'll work out a PayPal transaction.

-AutisticAngel
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 04:49:38 PM »

There's an interesting "mass hysteria" that comes with these games. Sometimes, the hysteria might have justification, but most often it's that tempest-in-a-teapot thing. That's why you see so much bullshit on the boards about "this game completely sucks because now I do .02% less damage against undead beasts inside this corner of the zone!"

All that being said, WoW is a fun game. FUN. I log in, play and I have fun with it. In a fight that I start, I usually win. Sometimes, I'll get an add that will get me killed.

The other day, I died twice because of server problems. It pissed me off, sure. I petitioned to get the money I had to spend on repairs back (one death came because I got dropped off the boat  and I drowned in a place I could not possibly get back to), and they turned me down. Aggravated me, but I still love to play the game.

I spent many years playing EQ and I tried a lot of the other MMORPGs to find that sense of wonder that I got when I first started playing EQ. So far, WoW is the only one that has come close.

Get the best price you can for your CE, then buy a standard version and try the game out. You'll be a couple of bucks further ahead that way.
RPGHero
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 05:47:17 PM »

Quote from: "DCW"
The other day, I died twice because of server problems. It pissed me off, sure. I petitioned to get the money I had to spend on repairs back (one death came because I got dropped off the boat  and I drowned in a place I could not possibly get back to), and they turned me down. Aggravated me, but I still love to play the game.

That is one thing I have to say about WOW that it gets right, especially compared to FFXI which I also loved.  FFXI keeps you POOR.  Not just a little broke, POOR.  Granted there was an auction house and other ways to make money, but you just never had that much actual cash on you.  In other games, the money is either completely worthless or too hard to get.  In WOW you always seem to have an appropriate amount for equipment and other stuff for your level.  Even though you lost some money on repairs I'm sure you were able to replace it quickly.  I think that this is one thing that WOW does right.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 05:51:56 PM »

So, Purge -- now that you decided to take the plunge, how do you feel about it?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 07:16:48 PM »

Quote from: "DCW"
Get the best price you can for your CE, then buy a standard version and try the game out. You'll be a couple of bucks further ahead that way.

I got CE cheap, (read my first post) about $35US.

I'm in the game now, Whisperwind - Alliance - Stabbetty - Night Elf Rogue. (see WoW user thread; I've added it in the right format). biggrin

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 07:25:48 PM »

Quote from: "RPGHero"
That is one thing I have to say about WOW that it gets right, especially compared to FFXI which I also loved.  FFXI keeps you POOR.  Not just a little broke, POOR.  Granted there was an auction house and other ways to make money, but you just never had that much actual cash on you.  In other games, the money is either completely worthless or too hard to get.  In WOW you always seem to have an appropriate amount for equipment and other stuff for your level.  Even though you lost some money on repairs I'm sure you were able to replace it quickly.  I think that this is one thing that WOW does right.

I had a Mithra NIN in FFXI: tell me about it. Uetsusemi is DAMNED expensive. And 900gil PER shuriken? Puhleeze. They miss 50% of the time. When I bought 200 Axes for 30 copper yesterday I almost crapped myself.

Shopkeeper: "Cough up the 30 copper, and you can have 200 of these. I know I'm charging a lot, but hey, I love these throwing axes."
Me: "What are these, gold-inlaid with porcelain carrying case editions? I dunno, 30 coppers... that's like what, 6 ruined pelts? S'way too expensive, man."
Shopkeeper: "thats the price, take it or leave it."
Me: "yeah, I guess. How often do they hit?"
Shopkeeper: "Most of the time, depending on your skill"
[ me swallows tongue, buys axes, leaves ]
Shopkeeper: "Sucker... Those were only worth 25 copper"
Me: "Sucker... in FFXI I'd have paid 4gold 2silver 80copper for this many."

FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2005, 09:07:35 PM »

My only gripe against WoW is that now that I'm ready to take the plunge, I can't find a damn copy.  :evil:

Have they temporarily stopped producing the game?

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 12:50:13 AM »

Quote from: "FlyingElvis"
My only gripe against WoW is that now that I'm ready to take the plunge, I can't find a damn copy.  :evil:

Have they temporarily stopped producing the game?

They are holding back copies in order to keep the servers from becoming overloaded.  So, depending on their server upgrades, it might be a while before they do another wide release.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: