http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 11:31:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW Servers Info.  (Read 4731 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2004, 11:24:45 PM »

Ah Blizzard. Thanks again, my friends, for doing everything you possibly can to turn people off of this hella fun MMORPG. Seriously, wtf are you guys thinking over there? An elementary school student with a marketing book could probably figure out that some of these recent decisions are just bad business.

Anyways:
" As it stands, we are not going to release the server list prior to release. I'd like to explain the reasoning behind this decision, as I know many of you have been curious about this for some time.

We have numerous realms ready to go when we launch. Not all of them will be available when the game first launches, however. If we gave the full list, many guilds would pick servers that may well be unavailable when they go to play the game. If we released the servers that we know will be available when the game launches, servers that come up days or mere hours later would be largely ignored, as most large groups would zero in on the servers they know will be there. Add this to the fact that most people, when presented with a list ahead of time, will focus on the "cool" names (which would you rather play on: Rabbit, or Doomguard?) and we would have many realms be neglected.

I apologize, as I know this makes it difficult for some guilds to meet up right off. As resourceful as you all are, however, I have no doubt you'll land on your feet. This is the best way to ensure comparable numbers across the available realms."

So, since you guys seem to be letting me organize everything, I guess I am going to ask that you just let me make a command level decision on the 23rd and pick us a server.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 11:57:40 PM »

Once again, Blizzard proves they are completely clueless when it comes to communicating with the customer base.

They still have a long way to go before taking the arrogance badge from SOE, but this is a good start.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 01:13:05 AM »

I don't think it is so bad.  We just login to CG the day of and find out which server Rage has choosen.  This may help server crowding as they said.  A lot of EQ2's first servers are over crowded, and people are reluctant to switch.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 01:38:30 AM »

I dont see the problem..im just gonna pick one i like and go with it myself.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 01:49:17 AM »

damn guys...

haters all! trivial, but now blizzard sucks ass. so very rational and mature. sounds like guild chat might be filled with constant whining and blizzard hate. fun. :roll:
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 02:11:50 AM »

I don't understand the hate either.  They explained why they aren't naming the servers ahead of time.  And it makes sense to me.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 02:17:14 AM »

Quote from: "weeskwee"
damn guys...

haters all! trivial, but now blizzard sucks ass. so very rational and mature. sounds like guild chat might be filled with constant whining and blizzard hate. fun. :roll:

Uh, I have been in the closed beta for months. I have been provided feedback, suggestions, playtesting, bugtesting. I post constructive comments on the message boards, and I love the game and can't wait to play it. I am making an informed judgment, based on all that, that Blizzards marketing and PR department have seriously dropped the ball time and time again-most of the issues have been minor, yes, but minor issues still annoy the hell out of people, myself included. This is one of them, the long delay in announcing character wipe another.

The only thing I feel I "bash" blizzard for is their incomprehensible refusal to address the problems that mages at 45+ have in PvE. They simply refuse to even address the issues, while at the same time they at least make an appearance in threads about every other class. So yes, I "whine" about things that they do, as does everybody else who has ever played an MMORPG.

I cannot imagine that you have ever read one of my serious, on topic posts and thought "damn that guy is an immature whiner". I dont think any member of OUR guild is going to be one either, at least not a member that should expect to stick around long. Besides, aren't you playing with the Wanderers? I really don't need any more personal attacks.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 02:17:26 AM »

I would rather have them organized how they are now: by time zone and with a number rather than some goofy name.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 02:18:46 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I would rather have them organized how they are now: by time zone and with a number rather than some goofy name.

Yeah, that works for me too Unbreakable, what we need is a list that is semi-set in stone...I couldn't care less if they are named or numbered or what.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 02:25:48 AM »

Actually guys this is pretty smart.....so many games in the past released a server list, then right before launch said "wait we didnt get that one up", and caused confusion all over. This way, they know exactly what they have up and how many. One day isn't so bad, and actually saves us headaches of reorging later smile
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 02:26:05 AM »

So Rage, given a list of servers across all four US timezones, which will you be inclined to choose?  

I live in Central US, but keep hours as if I live on the west coast.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 02:29:08 AM »

Quote from: "Ibby"
So Rage, given a list of servers across all four US timezones, which will you be inclined to choose?  

I live in Central US, but keep hours as if I live on the west coast.

Oooh...this is a good question Ibby. I dont want to make an arbitrary decision that will annoy the majority.  The bigger problem will be for West Coast players, who, if we play on East Coast, will play in the dark much more often.

How about a poll?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 02:30:18 AM »

Quote from: "Pharaoh"
Actually guys this is pretty smart.....so many games in the past released a server list, then right before launch said "wait we didnt get that one up", and caused confusion all over. This way, they know exactly what they have up and how many. One day isn't so bad, and actually saves us headaches of reorging later smile

Yeah, I have been considering this-but I figure they know that they will have...10 up on day one, 10 up on day two, etc etc. type of thing-just would be helpful if they knew definitavely. I guess if they dont know for sure, then this plan may not be as bad as I am making it out to be.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 03:19:40 AM »

CoH had a similar problem upon launch, in that they had a published set of servers, and yet some on that list weren't actually up when many players started to logon.
RevenantSoul
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 03:24:37 AM »

Rage,

You mentioned that you did not plan on logging until later in the evening on the day of release.  I plan on getting the game as soon as it hits the shelf on tuesday (midnight monday if I am able).  Any chance we can just have the first person who gets in select and post the server name here?  I seriously doubt I will be waiting until that night unless they have massive lag and server issues.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 03:39:12 AM »

Quote from: "RevenantSoul"
Rage,

You mentioned that you did not plan on logging until later in the evening on the day of release.  I plan on getting the game as soon as it hits the shelf on tuesday (midnight monday if I am able).  Any chance we can just have the first person who gets in select and post the server name here?  I seriously doubt I will be waiting until that night unless they have massive lag and server issues.

Revenant-I changed my schedule so I could stay home Tuesday and get it organized. I just had a few classes to skip. So I should be on as soon as my EB has them in stock (I am EDT btw). So, I should be able to handle this with no probs-but certainly if you get on earlier than I do, send me a quick PM and tell me what server you think works.

Also, send me an email if you were a former GGer or post a few more times and get rid of that silly newbie tag  Cool
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 04:09:47 AM »

Pure tardery, IMO.  

If we gave the full list, many guilds would pick servers that may well be unavailable when they go to play the game. If we released the servers that we know will be available when the game launches, servers that come up days or mere hours later would be largely ignored, as most large groups would zero in on the servers they know will be there. Add this to the fact that most people, when presented with a list ahead of time, will focus on the "cool" names (which would you rather play on: Rabbit, or Doomguard?) and we would have many realms be neglected.

So how would releasing the server names ahead of time change anything?

People are going to pick the servers with cool sounding names regardless of what happens.  Guilds are going to start on the servers that are up first.

What's the point?  Why not just shut everyone up and release the server names?
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2004, 07:27:06 AM »

This is what I think Blizzard was trying to say about the server names.  If they released all the server names and people picked a certain server, that server may not be available for launch and thus cause confusion.  The bit about cool sounding server names was just saying that people might chose that server based on the name and it might not be available as well.  I hope I made some sense on this.

Regardless, I just want to get on a west coast PvE server and start up!  I hope there's a decent population, but I certainly don't want a massive crowd there.  The hard part will be getting my friends on the same server, but we use ventrilo so we should be able to coordinate, I hope.  Tongue
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2004, 02:14:35 PM »

I've said this elsewhere, but this is one of the silliest decisions ever.  If people are selecting a server based on the name, just like nam said that isn't going to change on release day.  The other solution for this is to make all the names cool sounding. slywink

As for the problem of not having some servers ready for release, you put out the list, call it "tentative" with a full warning that some servers may not be available.  At worst, the people who have coordinated to be on an unavailable server now have to coordinate to get on another server.  Without the tentative list, that's what we all have to do.  So you either mildly inconvenience everyone or a smaller group...gee, which is better?

I'm not sure what the plus side is of not releasing the list early.  I mean, maybe you cut out the number of people whining because they had to select another server, but you're replacing it with a much larger group of folks who are upset because they can't coordinate ahead of time.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2004, 06:00:01 PM »

The server location is a great question.  I'm assuming the servers are split across the country, so players on the East Coast would see lag playing on a West Coast server?  Or are the servers just broken down conveniently to drive player population during the right times?

---
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2004, 06:17:53 PM »

Don't know if this impacts anything at all, but I'l post what my guild has chosen for a server as soon as I know.  I'd like to adventure with you guys if at all possible...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2004, 07:38:50 PM »

Hopefully Charlatan won't mind me quoting his post from the Wanderers, but this is excellent advice:

Guys, if you weren't involved in the EQ2 launch here's what happened. We should learn from this:

1. Tentative server was chosen and announced
2. Some people told their friends to meet us there
3. Final server choice was made - different server
4. Some people went to server in #1, and found out hours later they were on the "wrong" one.
5. Other people said they couldn't join us because all their friends were on server #1
6. All the initial servers are packed. Sony adds 6 servers the first day.

The point is two-fold:
1. Don't announce a server name until it's FINAL
2. Consider waiting until the early evening to pick a server - most people won't be on before then, and they MIGHT be adding more servers. I believe the EQ2 server pop on the 2nd and 3rd wave servers is much more manageable than on the 1st wave. This might frustrate the early adopters and powergamers, but we'd be waiting maybe 6 hours out of a game we're gonna be in for a year or more. Why rush?

In fact, it may be very cool to be on the same server as the Wanderers.  They'll have a Horde guild, and we may be able to matchup in PvP at some point.

I also agree with the points.  Waiting an extra few hours to see if new servers come up would be a great idea, or waiting to see which ones get mobbed first, and choose a less crowded server.  Waiting a few extra hours, especially when all the zones and registration servers will be mobbed, isn't such a bad idea.

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2004, 07:50:17 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Hopefully Charlatan won't mind me quoting his post from the Wanderers, but this is excellent advice:

Guys, if you weren't involved in the EQ2 launch here's what happened. We should learn from this:

1. Tentative server was chosen and announced
2. Some people told their friends to meet us there
3. Final server choice was made - different server
4. Some people went to server in #1, and found out hours later they were on the "wrong" one.
5. Other people said they couldn't join us because all their friends were on server #1
6. All the initial servers are packed. Sony adds 6 servers the first day.

The point is two-fold:
1. Don't announce a server name until it's FINAL
2. Consider waiting until the early evening to pick a server - most people won't be on before then, and they MIGHT be adding more servers. I believe the EQ2 server pop on the 2nd and 3rd wave servers is much more manageable than on the 1st wave. This might frustrate the early adopters and powergamers, but we'd be waiting maybe 6 hours out of a game we're gonna be in for a year or more. Why rush?

In fact, it may be very cool to be on the same server as the Wanderers.  They'll have a Horde guild, and we may be able to matchup in PvP at some point.

I also agree with the points.  Waiting an extra few hours to see if new servers come up would be a great idea, or waiting to see which ones get mobbed first, and choose a less crowded server.  Waiting a few extra hours, especially when all the zones and registration servers will be mobbed, isn't such a bad idea.

Ok a few things:
1. I do not want us to pick a server specifically because the wanderers are there.  Lets do what is best for us in terms of time zone and everything. If we get to play against them on the same server fine, but if not, I know I couldn't care. Some of their players are wonderful online friends to me, and have been nothing but kind.  Their leadership, however  has been nothing but rude to me now for too long. My apologies have been made.

2. I dont mind choosing a server later in the day...if only we had a better idea about how servers would be going up throughout the day. This is something we need to think about. Maybe we should have two more polls-one for the time zone and one for whether we should just pick a server immediately or wait till the evening. I can get on those in just a minute. Scott, if you want to talk some more details, feel free to email me  if the response is slow on the boards.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2004, 08:17:14 PM »

I do not want us to pick a server specifically because the wanderers are there. Lets do what is best for us in terms of time zone and everything.

I completely agree.  I thought it might be amusing to know our enemy at some point, but I really don't care either way beyond knowing some of the other players.

You should just make a call and go with a central time zone server.  That should split out fairly well, and be a good experience for everyone hopefully.  Just because we may have 12 EST members, doesn't mean the 7 PST guys should have a worse experience.

In the long run, even for a guy like me that loves playing right away, I'd rather be on a good server then have a 4 hour head start, fighting other guys in the newbie zones.  In fact, I'm dreading the newbie zones, they will be way crowded.

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2004, 08:22:01 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I do not want us to pick a server specifically because the wanderers are there. Lets do what is best for us in terms of time zone and everything.

I completely agree.  I thought it might be amusing to know our enemy at some point, but I really don't care either way beyond knowing some of the other players.

You should just make a call and go with a central time zone server.  That should split out fairly well, and be a good experience for everyone hopefully.  Just because we may have 12 EST members, doesn't mean the 7 PST guys should have a worse experience.

In the long run, even for a guy like me that loves playing right away, I'd rather be on a good server then have a 4 hour head start, fighting other guys in the newbie zones.  In fact, I'm dreading the newbie zones, they will be way crowded.

Ok-Scott I am COMPLETELY in agreemtent with you in regards to the server. Lets just say right now that we are going to play on a CST server. That allows both our PST and EDT people a reasonable chance to play together in both light and dark and really shouldn't be too annoying for anyone.

As for the server..we do need to decide if we are picking one asap or waiting until later in the day-a few points, thoughts:
1. Could it be even MORE crowded later (people getting off work, etc? It is a Tuesday after all.
2. Is there really any indication taht any extra servers will be up on release day?
3. Presuming #2 is correct and it will be at least until the next day-I would like to be able to play that first day smile
4. So-how are we going to do this? Shoudl we make a poll, just chat about it here, or what? this is a tough call, because it is agoing to be a bitch to start over again.

Lets chat! (Scott you have emails)

Oh, and for the record-if the Wanderers guild is on a server compatible with us, I agree it would be an excellent and fun thing to have them as Horde opponents...I just wanted to at least say my peice above.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2004, 08:57:46 PM »

As for the server..we do need to decide if we are picking one asap or waiting until later in the day-a few points, thoughts:
1. Could it be even MORE crowded later (people getting off work, etc? It is a Tuesday after all.
2. Is there really any indication taht any extra servers will be up on release day?
3. Presuming #2 is correct and it will be at least until the next day-I would like to be able to play that first day Smile
4. So-how are we going to do this? Shoudl we make a poll, just chat about it here, or what? this is a tough call, because it is agoing to be a bitch to start over again.

True, there probably is no guarentee that there will be other servers that day.  We probably should just grab one of the servers, and hope people divide evenly and it works out.  I'd hate to have to wait in a queue to play though after the game goes retail.

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2004, 09:00:34 PM »

They said the queue would be no more than a second or two in retail if at all. I think they were artificially lowering the pop cap on the servers in order to test the queue system-I dont think the servers were actually full-at least I kinda remember reading a blue text post about that.
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2004, 11:39:31 PM »

I've taken the entire next week off of work (becuase of Thanksgiving), so I'll be home all day (once I can get WoW in my dirty hands).  It'll be interesting to see how many servers come up from the beginning and how many more they add during the day.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2004, 04:25:47 AM »

So would I-but I still think we are wise to choose a server by noonish if we can find one that is not swamped.
RevenantSoul
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2004, 08:10:34 AM »

I am afraid I wont be able to wait until noon...the withdrawl is getting to me already  Tongue
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2004, 09:05:20 AM »

I am disappointed they didnt release a server list.  The reasons they gave do not make sense to me.

I am also surprised they just pulled the plug on the forums.  I realize the beta is over, but what the hell.

olaf
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2004, 01:15:16 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
I am also surprised they just pulled the plug on the forums.  I realize the beta is over, but what the hell.

The reports I've heard is that somebody haxored the admin accounts on the forums, and as thus they simply closed the thing down while they figured out what the hell happened.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2004, 05:47:33 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "olaf"

The reports I've heard is that somebody haxored the admin accounts on the forums, and as thus they simply closed the thing down while they figured out what the hell happened.

This is only partiall true. This did happen, they supposedly fixed the problems, and the boards came back up-their plan all along, at least from what they said, was to shut down the beta boards immediately upon the end of beta. My guess is they didnt even bother archive them or lock them for people to peruse later-wasting 9 months or so of invaluable beta information for new players. Oh well...I am just at the poinjt where I like the game a lot and cant wait to play it and am just going to keep rolling my eyes as the inane and idiotic marketing and PR decisions Blizzard keeps making.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2004, 07:10:46 PM »

The reasons they gave do not make sense to me.

Agreed, I can't believe the reasons they've cited are accurate.  I just can't understand how you logically equate the sum of the reasons cited with their "don't give out server names before release" policy.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the real reason was, "Well, shit, what do you mean, we never actually came up with names for the servers!?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: