http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 10:24:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW Server Choice Question  (Read 2193 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2004, 07:17:19 PM »

Hey all, I think I'll probably pick this up at Compusa tomorrow for $40, although I may not install it just yet.  I have a question about server choice for you.

If I select a server that is PvP, do I have to engage in PvP all the time?  I mean, can someone just run up and kill me, or do I have to actively enable it?  I know that at first I won't want to play like that, but eventually I may want to go on a raid against some human players.  So, does anyone know how that will work?

Also, can you create a Horde and Alliance character on the same server?

Thanks!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 07:55:56 PM »

For reasons unknown, you can create both an Alliance and Horde character on a PvP server. When you think about it, it shouldn't be that way.

And as for a PvP server - from what I know, only in Contested zones (about half the zones out there) can you be instantly jumped and attacked by somebody of the other side.

In the other half, there's a PvP flag of sorts that can be turned on and off based on your actions.

For a Non-PvP server, both sides have to have their flags on in order to attack one another. Otherwise, you can both wave and curse at each other.

Somebody, please yell if I got this all wrong. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 08:07:16 PM »

Oh, so you can still PvP on non-PvP servers?  That sounds like what I'd want to do.
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 08:10:28 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
For reasons unknown, you can create both an Alliance and Horde character on a PvP server. When you think about it, it shouldn't be that way.

Unless there's a bug, that's incorrect. This ability was taken away some time in beta to stop "spying".
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 04:56:18 AM »

Another question for you guys.  I live on the West Coast, so I would normally play on a Pacific Time Zone server.  I see that all of the guilds talking here are on Central time servers.  If I were to create a character there, would I have terrible lag?
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 05:27:35 AM »

No, but I believe Central zone has the highest population, due to accomodating both coasts.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 05:24:28 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
Another question for you guys.  I live on the West Coast, so I would normally play on a Pacific Time Zone server.  I see that all of the guilds talking here are on Central time servers.  If I were to create a character there, would I have terrible lag?

All it is is the time zone that the servers are based on, and what clock they run by. In short - most people in that time zone went to that set of servers, so odds are you'll find people playing the same time you do.

Remember - EQ had servers all in one central location, and nobody had problem with their servers as far as lag went.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 08:10:44 PM »

I have a question regarding pvp.  

If I decide to play on a pvp server and I'm wandering through one of the contested areas and I see an enemy player and attack and kill him can I steal his belongings?  Just curious.

Wake up.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 08:43:13 PM »

No to the above question.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 09:22:17 PM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
No to the above question.

What is the benefit to PVP then?

Wake up.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 09:52:45 PM »

They have an honor system planned where you get points for PvP wins and such. You can then use those points to buy things or gain prestige for your clan or something along those lines.

As it is right now PvP is just for being able to kill other players.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: