http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 06:43:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW: Q&A, Hints and Tips, Etc.  (Read 5468 times)
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2004, 05:24:30 PM »

Thought I'd start a thread dedicated to those WoW questions you can't seem to find an answer to and perhaps for others to add their wisdom with helpful hints and tips and such.

My questions:

- How do you find how many talent points you have available?

- Is there a trainer to improve certain weapon skills (e.g. mace) or do weapon skills only improve through use? There are weapons I see that I would like to use but am unable to not based my character's level but my current skill level with that weapon.
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:27:36 PM »

Quote from: "Andy22"

- How do you find how many talent points you have available?

Hit 'N' by default to view your talent page.  A the bottom it lists available points and each tab lists how many points are used in that area.

- Is there a trainer to improve certain weapon skills (e.g. mace) or do weapon skills only improve through use? There are weapons I see that I would like to use but am unable to not based my character's level but my current skill level with that weapon.

Weapon skills only improve through use, however you can learn complete new skills by talking with various weapon masters in the main cities.

Not sure about weapons with skill requirements, I've never seen one, only weapons with level requirements.

Edit: Unless you mean you are trying to use (for example) a two handed mace and aren't trained in them.  If that's the case then head to a main city and ask a guard where the weapon master is, they teach new weapon skills.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 05:32:18 PM »

If you press "N" it will bring up your talents window.  At the bottom of that window it will show you your current points that you can use.  You get one talent point per level, starting at level 10.  I used this talent calculator to play around with different builds: http://wowvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Talents.View

Weapon skills improve with use.  I don't believe you can improve skill  through an NPC.  THe higher your intellect, the faster your weapon skill improves.  So when you first start with a new weapon, and find yourself missing like crazy, you can either 1) go fight much lower mobs with it.  You may not get xp, but you'll improve that weapons skill with lower risk of dying.    2) Buy an intellect potion or use some other form of intellect buff.  This will increase your weapon skill up rate.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 05:50:51 PM »

Also, unless I am crazy, you can talk to a class trainer and have them wipe your talent point placement and redistribute your talent points.  This way you are not stuck if you mess up, or you want to move your character to another direction.  I think that's a cool feature.  Like the buy back button with merchants.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 05:52:29 PM »

My #1 tip: http://www.cosmosui.com

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 06:06:23 PM »

I hit some key by accident and now I not only have experience, health and mana bars but they also have the actual numbers on them.  How do I go back to bars?  (I sound like a drunk don't I?)
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 06:10:45 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
Also, unless I am crazy, you can talk to a class trainer and have them wipe your talent point placement and redistribute your talent points.  This way you are not stuck if you mess up, or you want to move your character to another direction.  I think that's a cool feature.  Like the buy back button with merchants.

The first time you do this it cost you 1 gold (which is a lot for a low-mid level character). It cost you 5 gold the second time and the price goes up 5 gold each additional time.  

When talents were first introduced you could wipe them for free, but they changed that toward the end of beta.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 06:11:29 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
Quote from: "leo8877"

The first time you do this it cost you 1 gold (which is a lot for a low-mid level character). It cost you 5 gold the second time and the price goes up 5 gold each additional time.  

When talents were first introduced you could wipe them for free, but they changed that toward the end of beta.

Oh, well shoot, I didn't know that.  I guess you need to put some thought into it then.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 06:15:47 PM »

1)  If you can't find a trainer or place, ask a guard.  They know where most everything that you are looking for can be found.  This is especially useful in the big cities.

2)  New spells and skills come every even-numbered level, so start saving up your money before then, in order to buy them immediately upon reaching the next level.  When you buy your new skills from your class trainer, take a gander at the skills for the next level up, and especially keep in mind the prices, so that you don't end up broke before then.

3)  Go out of your way to visit the wind riders and so forth in all of the settlements, they are worth it when travelling at the higher levels.

4)  Visit the auction houses, they are just fun.  Look at what sells, and for how much.  Learn what things are valuable, so that you don't just sell it as vendor junk when you pick it up.  Sure, people will keep a cool 2-handed axe, but what about Sharp Claws?  Worg Hearts?  Alchemists would love to get their hands on either, especially in quantity.  Linen cloth for example can always be sold or traded.

5)  Be nice to people.  It pays off in the long run, people will recognize you in the future, for good or evil.  The same guy you insult today could have cast a healing spell on you in the future.  You will tend to level at the same rate as the players you always run into in the beginning.

6)  If you can't find a particular quest point, ask someone.  We've all been there -- most people if they know will tell you where to look.  Running around lost for a long time isn't fun for anyone.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 06:19:30 PM »

Its not your skill level, its your basic knowledge of the skill that you need.

For example, my priest starts out the game automatically with 1-handed mace skill, thats it. That skill starts out a 1. As i use my 1-handed mace the skill increases (to level x 5). Now, I can learn 2 other weapon types. Staves and daggers. Until I have learned those skills, I can not wield those weapons at all. So, I visited the weapon trainer in Stormwind and trained in Staves. It cost 10 silver to learn most all weapon skills, with a few of the rarer ones (like polearms for warriors) being more expensive. They made a lot of different changes to the weapon trainers in beta. I think the current set up is that all the weapon skills are covered by the weapon trainers in Stormwind and Ironforge (but neither can train you in all types). But don't quote me on that.

After i bought the skill from the trainer I now have the Staff weapon skill and it is at 1. So I must use my staff to raise the skill up. This can take some time, but not too terribly long to get it up to respectable levels. Those last few points you need to max in a weapon skill seem very hard to come by. smile
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 06:31:42 PM »

One other thing to keep in mind, is that when you first train a new skill it isn't going to be very useful.  I got a new wand and thought, "Cool, now I can rock stuff from afar!"  But when I first started to use it I thought the wand skill must be broken, since the creatures I was attacking resisted the wand's effects every single time.

But, I noticed after a while that the skill level was going up, and sure enough, the enemies started to resist the ranged attacks less and less.  Just thought I'd mention it, since I initially thought the skill must be broken, and it obviously wasn't, I just didn't know enough.
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 06:38:30 PM »

Well being a Warrior I have the Mace skill and use a mace currently but found a nifty hammer that I want to use but when I go to equip it it says my skill is not high enough. The level requirement is level 10 and I am level 12. I will check it again tonight to get the exact message.

BTW, great tip on asking the guards for locations. Not only will they tell you where it is but it will also place a marker on your map.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 06:52:20 PM »

Does anyone know how to make a macro that will cast two spells in a row?  Also, does anyone know how to make a macro that will select yourself and then cast a spell?  Or one that will select a particular person, and then cast a spell on that person?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 07:07:33 PM »

Speaking of Wands:  Butterknife, do wands have "charges" in WoW?  What I mean is... say you make/find a wand of Shadow Word Pain...  Is it usable like 20 times, then you throw it away?  

I just don't understand exactly how they work.

Thanks.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 07:07:48 PM »

Quote from: "Butterknife"
Does anyone know how to make a macro that will cast two spells in a row?  Also, does anyone know how to make a macro that will select yourself and then cast a spell?  Or one that will select a particular person, and then cast a spell on that person?

holding down the ALT key when you hit the quickbar number casts the spell on yourself.

Select your groupmates by hitting F1..F5 (as they appear vertically in the group listing).

Hitting F with something targeted will switch to his target. So for instance, if a mob jumps your group, and you target it, hit F to see who HE is attacking. Then you can heal him. You can hit F over and over to switch back and forth between the mob and your groupmate.

Edit to add: Wands are just weapons, they don't have charges. They also do not autoattack, so you can't just hit "shoot" and walk away from the keyboard. Pretty sure this is a deliberate design decision.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 08:37:59 PM »

Well being a Warrior I have the Mace skill and use a mace currently but found a nifty hammer that I want to use but when I go to equip it it says my skill is not high enough. The level requirement is level 10 and I am level 12. I will check it again tonight to get the exact message.

Then it sounds like it is a 2-handed hammer you are trying to equip. Which, as odd as it sounds, is not one of the weapon skills a warrior automatically gets. You have to go to a weapon trainer (the one in Ironforge in this particular case (if you are an Alliance race)) and spent 10 silver to train in 2-handed maces.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2004, 08:39:53 PM »

Wands do not have a number of charges, you can cast at will.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2004, 09:31:08 PM »

If you have a chat line open and you hold down shift and click an item from your inventory, people who hear the chat can click on the highlighted text in the chat window to view the item.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 02:45:37 AM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
holding down the ALT key when you hit the quickbar number casts the spell on yourself.

Im not sure, but isnt that a Cosmos feature?  At any rate, I know it will allow you to remap that to something else (like CTRL, shift, or a few others).  

I second whoever mentioned Cosmos.  I cant imagine playing without it now.

One strange Cosmos problem Im having, however- I can use the map note feature everywhere, it seems, except Ironforge.  Is that happening with anyone else?

[edit] Dont forget to list your characters.
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 03:04:30 AM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"

Has anyone tried CTMod instead?  It also looks nice.  I've been debating which one to try.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 06:18:54 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I hit some key by accident and now I not only have experience, health and mana bars but they also have the actual numbers on them.  How do I go back to bars?  (I sound like a drunk don't I?)

I got that in beta and no one could solve it for me. There was no hotkey i could find that made it do that and in options that one was turned off..very damn annoying. I cant remember if a reboot solved it or not. Ask a GM..I hate that bug.

As for my #1 tip......... I have 512 megs ram and a GF4 ti4200 128...on travel flights and entering big cities I averaged 1 frame per every 5-15 seconds on flights and flying into a big city was hell because it took up to 2-3 minutes before I could move and then only in stops and starts. My HD thrashed and I hated it.

Tonight a nice person informed me of the setting to fix this....View distance. I had all my settings maxed and when i turned that one down to min all that went away except for a brief stutter as I flew into a city. I love it! And its not a very big change in your actual view of the game. Gonna try to find more ram too.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 08:38:36 AM »

The numbers over health/mana is an optiion in interface options I believe.

olaf
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2004, 12:41:05 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"

olaf

It doesn't matter if I enable that or disable that.  The numbers won't go away.   :evil:
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 01:18:16 PM »

The numbers are an option in the interface menu, true.

However, sometimes they appear without warning and will not go away.  And, noone I know actually wants them there.   :wink:

The only way I have found to "override" this is to log off and log back on.  It is a  hassle to be sure, but it has worked for me every time, and takes a total of about 1 minute.  So, until they fix it... this is the only "cure" I know of.

Note:  Make sure and count to about 15 after logging off.  It takes the server a moment to actually take your character "offline", even though you have logged off.  Otherwise you may get the "a character with that name already exists on that server" error.   :?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004, 01:50:12 PM »

That's a character level restriction, not a weapon skill restriction.  You can't use it until your character hits level 12.

There are hammers that are one-handers, but be sure that it isn't a two-hander.  If it's two-handed, you'll need to train that skill at a weapon master.

[edit]

Oh, and I like the UI mod at nurfed.com.  Been using it since open beta and it's worked great.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 02:03:20 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"

That's a character level restriction, not a weapon skill restriction.  You can't use it until your character hits level 12.

The level requirement on the weapon is 10. He is level 12. So it can not be a character level restriction in this case.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 02:46:05 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "olaf"

olaf

It doesn't matter if I enable that or disable that.  The numbers won't go away.   :evil:

I got that at one point, but the next time I logged in I just went to the options screen and checked off that option and it fixed it.  When it happened though the menu option didn't change it, it was only after I rebooted that it fixed itself.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 04:38:28 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
The level requirement on the weapon is 10. He is level 12. So it can not be a character level restriction in this case.

Gedd loses 1 point of reading comprehension

Ah, you are correct Toe.  I transposed the two numbers for some reason. Then you're right, must be a training issue.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 04:57:49 PM »

I use CTMod and really like it.  Cosmos was ok but for some reason (I've heard it has something to do with the "Distance to Target" feature), it really killed my framerate.  I got lots of stutters.

CTMod = no stutters, lots of the same features.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2004, 06:37:53 PM »

As far as UIs go, I'm using Gypsy. It's not the prettiest thing, but it does exactly what I want without any hassles...no form...all function.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2004, 10:16:07 AM »

Agreed.  Gypsy all the way for me also.

LD

sig20paramedic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2004, 04:08:05 AM »

How the heck do you fish??  I have a fishing pole but I can't seem to find a bobber.  Am I supposed to be using the shining bauble(sp?) to fish :? ?
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2004, 04:24:56 AM »

Quote from: "sig20paramedic"
How the heck do you fish??  I have a fishing pole but I can't seem to find a bobber.  Am I supposed to be using the shining bauble(sp?) to fish :? ?

Go near water.  Equip your fishing pole in your weapon hand (here's where it differs from skinning et. al.). Now, drag your 'fishing' skill down to the hotbar (NOT the pole itself, the skill from your spellbook) and click that.  Click the bobber when it starts to thrash around.  The lures increase your fishing skill temporarily, you'll probably want to start out with one of those just for skilling up.

Pi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2004, 04:27:17 AM »

Quote from: "sig20paramedic"

I actually had problems with this too.  First, equip your fishing pole.  Next, stand near some water.  Finally, you need to click the fishing icon in your spells and abilities screen (or drag it to your toolbar) in order to cast.  When the bobber shakes, right click it.
sig20paramedic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2004, 05:07:54 AM »

Thanks for the quick replies Clanwolfer and Pi smile .  I'll give it a try when I get home from work.
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2004, 03:57:54 PM »

Ok...dumb question. How can I get to Ironwood from Stormforge which was my home city. I have a quest to deliver a letter and can't figure how to get there. The only route I see is blocked by a locked gate. Is there a quest near the gate for the key? Is it a level restriction type thing? The only other open areas are contested areas and I am not nearly high enough in level to make it through those yet being only level 14.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2004, 05:14:42 PM »

If your starting city is either Stormwind or Ironforge, to get to the other you have two options available for you right from the getgo:

1) Take the Tram. You can find it either off the Dwarven part of Stormwind (look for a tunnel covered with sparkles and rotating in place) or from the Gnome section of Ironforge (look for the same thing).

2) Take the Gryffin. You'll find it off the Trade District in Stormwind and in the very center of Ironforge. It costs 50c and is a bit longer to take, but you can step away from the keyboard if you need to do something else for a few minutes.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: