http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 11:50:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW: Professions  (Read 1575 times)
unbreakable
« on: December 30, 2004, 08:51:45 PM »

I was thinking about this issue after I woke up (thinking about WoW seems to go on even when Im not playing):  What are probably the most effective class/profession combos?

I know lots of casters like Engineering because it gives them early access to very good head items (goggles and the like).  Ive also heard Paladins can enjoy Engineering so it will give them a access to ranged attacks, something they lack.

Someone in my guild plays a Warrior, and he jokes about being the only non-caster in the alchemy shops.  But Alchemy gives a Warrior some pretty good abilities they lack solo- in fight healing, and buffs.

From my own experience as a Tailor, I can see a person would, from a monetary standpoint, be better off taking gathering skills than a craft skill like blacksmith, leathercraft, or tailoring: you will make more (and more steady) money selling the results than you will by hawking your wares in trade chat, and without the added 'bonus' of the skill also being a money sink.  But I digress  Tongue
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 09:07:05 PM »

I play a Rogue with Herbalism/Alchemy and it's served me very well.   I can heal and buff myself when I'm out soloing.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 09:12:38 PM »

My rogue does Alchemy and its a big difference maker.  By lvl 10 I was adding 3 str , 50ish armour points, 30ish extra hit points, faster healing over time, and healing potions during a fight.  Just the defense potions alone were giving me a %15onus to my overall AC.  Agility potions are only about 10 skill poonts away as well.  Alchemy, imo is even better for melee types then casters.  Combined with some leater armour kits and some sharpening stones that I can easily trade potions for and Im my own Buff Bot smile.  It almost unbalances the game using all the profession goodies, at least at -20 lvls.

morlac00 on PSN
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 09:16:39 PM »

I think hands down if you are a soloer alchemy is the skill to take.  The potions are so useful to a solo player it's crazy.  I've been getting into engineering lately though, it's a lot of fun.  Lots of different little effects you can get from items... plus it gives my paladin a ranged attack (of sorts). smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 02:36:26 AM »

I play a rogue with tailoring and enchanting.  I would have chosen leatherworking but I group with a druid friend regularly who has the skill so she shares her wares with me and vice versa.  For the most part tailoring is worthless for a rogue as most leather items are better then their tailored counterparts.  However, having access to free bags at the start of the game is a gold mine.  Plus being able to make green or better items in mass really boosts my enchanting skill, which I have found to be extremely useful for a rogue.  Also, all the stylish shirts I can create make me feel special.  biggrin
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 03:24:05 PM »

I play a Priest and a Hunter.

Both are Dwarves, both are engineers.

Too fun not to be!   biggrin

(But I will admit.... I LOVE them alchemy potions)

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 04:19:41 PM »

If you play a class that has buffs and healing, alchemy may be redundant, although the healing potions are always nice to have.  Engineering has some great utility items for soloists.  The downside to engineering is that some of the more player friendly items (like goggles) can only be worn by other engineers, so you lose some $ earning potential.  Dropping a target dummy or an advanced target dummy has saved my butt many times.  How many times have you worked through a solo quest only to get to the boss who's protected by 2-3 guards?  Just drop a target dummy before you pull, and they'll start whacking on the dummy while you take out the boss.  Some of the bombs are actually pretty good too.  Eventually you can make pets that can be "summoned" to help you for a limited duration.  And then there's the completely useless but hug-inducing mechanical squirrel, which is really the biggest boon of the engineering line smile
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 07:52:13 PM »

I mainly play a NE hunter with skinning/leatherworking and a Human rogue with herb/alchemy. My low level paladin is a smith though and I might change him to an engineer for the ranged weapons. For the rogue as others have said, healing potions, def, str, etc. are a very worthy investment. Potions dont sell for much usually but herbs can so its possibly to make some money. My hunter makes a lot off of skins/leather though. Why cletus, looky here at this roadkill that some dern fool left..free skins!

I have noticed that later on its easier to get potions on drops and you can find many vendors with healing potions for sale. I think when I next start a priest or druid I'll try mining/engineering though. Goggles are cool.  smile
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 10:16:17 PM »

Skinning can be fun, if only for the reaction from a pickup group when my druid spammed a herd of gazelles with moonfire.  You can skin them, and they're easy to kill.  The troll stopped laughing when I made him a gazelle-skin armor patch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: