http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:33:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW: Play the Horde  (Read 5175 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2005, 03:41:32 PM »

I had an intial reluctance to play the Horde after looking at the character models, and starting zones.  The models just weren't as appealilng, and the starting areas all looked kind of blah compared to the Alliance areas.  All that has changed recently though for me.

I've been playing the Horde for the past week or two now, both an undead priest and troll shaman.  I'm really enjoying the Horde areas, and the Horde models.  They take a bit of getting used to, but the Orcs, Troll, Tauren, and Undead all look great in there own ways.  Undead rogues are great to watch (perfect rogue char), Tauren and Orcs are very intimidating, and the Trolls are just.

The Undead starting area is great, and the Orc/Troll area isn't nearly as bad as people have mentioned and probably better then the humans area, once you get used to it.  Some of the quests are more fun.

In some ways, playing the Horde does feel a bit harder.  The Auction House isn't as full of choice weapons and armor.  You have to earn what you have a bit more.  That makes tradeskills actually worthwhile.  You also have the huge Alliance advantage for PvP, and the Paladins toughness to contend with.

Anyway, all of you Alliance players, ready for a challenge and to stop playing easy mode?  Ready to get rid of the horrid lag and overcrowding of your horrid areas?  Join the Horde!  Have even more fun, join a PvP server, like Burning Legion.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 03:55:43 PM »

Except, isn't the Horde the dominant side in PVP servers?
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 04:10:13 PM »

I've got characters on both sides in the 30s. I have to say that I like the people on the horde side better. There's not nearly as much DOOD/733t speak and people calling other people "ghay".

It does feel "easier" on the alliance side, but the horde's got good points as well.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 04:20:42 PM »

and the Trolls are just.

The Trolls are just what?

(At least I can safely say I have the biggest tusks in the game -- an integral part of my Troll manhood)
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 04:54:47 PM »

On another positive note to playing the Horde is some silly stuff that probably isn't important to most:

1.  The Undead (sword) swing animations are the best in the game.

2.  The Troll music when you first get into their town is the best in the game.

3.  The Undead Capital is the best Capital City in the game.

4.  The idle Troll animations are the best idle animations in the game.

* all the above (of course) are my personal opinions.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 04:59:42 PM »

Except, isn't the Horde the dominant side in PVP servers?

Not even close.  On the closest server, the Alliance has a 1.3:1 advantage.  Most estimates on the forum guess that 1.3:1 is very optimistic for the Horde, and it could go as far  as a 2:1 advantage for the Alliance.  That is on the Burning Legion server where I started playing, simply because it had the closest ratio.  (I'm Anari and Ethane on Burning Legion).  

The Night Elf women look great, and the humans look pretty good, but I think the Horde characters also have great detail and animations.  You have to play a bit with the Horde characters to really appreciate them and there areas though.  

For me it is pretty satisfying lately to be playing on the Horde side, knowing we are outnumbered, and it is a little tougher.

I'd agree that the Horde side seems to be more friendly as well, beyond the Alliance members I've met from this board.

---
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 05:27:21 PM »

I play both sides and like them all. To me the very best race and area is the Undead. They have the looks, the attitude, and the lands...it all is so perfect.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 05:37:39 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
On another positive note to playing the Horde is some silly stuff that probably isn't important to most:

LD

I hate, hate, HATE the Undercity.  All of the capitals are a bit confusing when you first get there, but this city is just poorly designed, with mazes just to get to the actual entrance to the city.  I haven't seen a less newb friendly area than this crap-hole.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 05:41:50 PM »

That would mean giving up Night Elf Women...not sure I can do that....Don't ask me to do that.

Ascendent
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 05:47:03 PM »

So why don't we all start on a random server as Horde?
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 06:12:46 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"

You mean start over?   :shock:
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 06:24:57 PM »

I think the Alliance lands were done first, so they really have some cool looking areas.  I've only played Horde, so I've had to travel to see them, but there are some really cool looking lands for both.  I play UD and I've really enjoyed it.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 06:35:48 PM »

I hate, hate, HATE the Undercity. All of the capitals are a bit confusing when you first get there, but this city is just poorly designed, with mazes just to get to the actual entrance to the city. I haven't seen a less newb friendly area than this crap-hole.

I thought this too, until I learned the layout, and actually like the city now.  It is similar to IF.  Ogrimmer is a pain though, at least it seems for me so far.

I've started over on Burning Legion, to try some PvP action.  That server was choosen actually by Ibby, for a relatively good ratio of Horde vs Alliance, and since it is a medium population server.  Zones aren't vacant, but aren't super crowded either.  A few of us are on the server now.  I'm 'Anari' and 'Ethane' now, but may start an Orc shaman tonight.  Can't decide if I like my Troll shaman since I never use the racial ability, and really want to ride a wolf.  I think the Troll Raptor mounts look dumb, almost as bad the Kodos.

---
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 07:41:20 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
Quote from: "Lockdown"

LD

I hate, hate, HATE the Undercity.  All of the capitals are a bit confusing when you first get there, but this city is just poorly designed, with mazes just to get to the actual entrance to the city.  I haven't seen a less newb friendly area than this crap-hole.

Giggle...hit the 'M' button on your keyboard  Tongue .  

Seriously,  At first it was confusing, but now its easy.  Tip : take the "back" exit outta there in the sewers, its where the bats fly in.  I found Orgimaar(sp) and Thunder Bluff to be the most annoying to get around.

morlac00 on PSN
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »

I love the UC, it was the first moment I was really wowed by this game!
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 10:11:18 PM »

I don't like any of the horde capitals.  That being said, I can see how Thuderbluff at least would be very easy to defend.

Has the alliance ever successfully attacked Thunderbluff?

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 05:22:19 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"

Not even close.  On the closest server, the Alliance has a 1.3:1 advantage.  Most estimates on the forum guess that 1.3:1 is very optimistic for the Horde, and it could go as far  as a 2:1 advantage for the Alliance.  

On my server, Mal'Ganis, Horde outnumbers alliance.  As of right now, Wowcensus reports it as 6023 Horde, 4902 Alliance.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 01:04:13 PM »

Anyway, all of you Alliance players, ready for a challenge and to stop playing easy mode?  Ready to get rid of the horrid lag and overcrowding of your horrid areas?  Join the Horde!  Have even more fun, join a PvP server, like Burning Legion.

My guild, which is over 10 years old (<--a long time), is an all-dwarven roleplaying guild. So, there can be only one faction to choose.

And secondly, why play on a PvP server when all the "fun" PvP-wise is going to be had in the battlegrounds?
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 02:39:42 PM »

And secondly, why play on a PvP server when all the "fun" PvP-wise is going to be had in the battlegrounds?

I wasn't aware battlegrounds was released yet, or a release date was known.  The mechanics have only been hinted at as well.  So far, I think it'll add a bit to the tension and challenge of the game to watch my back for mobs and players.   It just makes WoW more of a challenge, as opposed to the basic grinding of mobs all the time.  Battlegrounds hopefully will be great, but there is other fun to be had.

---
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 03:52:35 PM »

So far, I think it'll add a bit to the tension and challenge of the game to watch my back for mobs and players.  .

I get all the tension I need on my drive home from work through rush hour traffic. Don't really need any extra from a game. Any extra excitement generated, imho, does not outweigh the added frustration.

The PvE/PvP "splitting" (for lack of a better word), worked great for DaoC I thought. I am sure Blizzard will deliver the goods.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 04:37:45 PM »

I played alliance in CB and now I play horde.  The character models aren't as "pretty" of course, but I'm finding myself liking them a lot more now.  They just seem more interesting.

I also agree that UC is the best city in the game.  I don't understand how people find it hard to navigate.  Once you figure out how to get downstairs, the basic layout is pretty simple and symmetric.  Shops, bat, bank, inn in the center, and then two concentric rings split up into 4 quadrants, all neatly labeled on the map.  The guards will tell you where to go if you're looking for a specific trainer, etc.

Thunder Bluff is also an excellent city.  Org's fine once you get used to it.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 07:05:15 PM »

Join the Horde!  Don't be a poofta Paladin.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 07:08:55 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

My guild, which is over 10 years old (<--a long time), is an all-dwarven roleplaying guild. So, there can be only one faction to choose.

Who knows how long before Blizzard actully implements the BG's for one.  The best tme i've had in game was when Redfive and I were trying to do quest in Ashenville a few nights ago.  We were constantlly dodging/spying/attacking allaince members.  Did it make questing harder?  Hell yea it was nearlly impossible.  Did we stay there for 2 hours anyway?  Hell yea we were having alot of fun.  Getting ganked in the middle of a fight by somone twice your lvl isnt much fun.  However,  Being a rogue with all my escapability and teaching said ??Allinace player the enormous aggro ranges of the guards in Tarren Mills however was a lot of fun smile...final score ?? dwarf moron 1 , Festering lvl 25 undead rogue 3.  In other words: Unexpected PVP seemsmore fun then, "hey turn on your flag so we can rumble" kind of PVP.

morlac00 on PSN
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 07:35:43 PM »

Don't be a poofta Paladin.

Definitely don't be a Paladin!  Of course, some of you might not want any challenge in your game play, so be a Paladin! biggrin  I mean, who wants a free mount, multiple life bars worth of heals, plate mail armor, etc.?

---
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 08:23:17 PM »

Everyone hating on paladins....

I dont see anyone griping about the Rogue Speedleveling, or Shamans and how damn good they are, or...etc.  

Its just hating on the paldins...  It's like a damn broken record.  I agree they are good, but all you have to do is eat a paladins mana and he's suddenly a bad warrior at best... but god forbid killing one requires any effort....  

I can accept you all do not, in any form, like paladins, but it's getting really old to read whining...  like "Paladins are easy mode"

Seriously... cut the crap and get back to real discussions

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »

I think you missed the humor in the posts.  

Personally, I have no experience fighting a paladin, so I can't say for sure if they are overpowered or not.  From the reading I've done, I'd guess that Paladins are slightly more powerful then some of the other classes in the game though.   What worries me most about paladins is that there were sweeping changes to the class at the end of the beta, without nearly enough time to fully test them.  
Here is a fun thread about Paladin balance:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-paladin&T=35230&P=1

As for Shamans, here is a great thread that clears up misconceptions:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-shaman&t=9727&p=1&tmp=1#post9727

There are tons of misconceptions about both the Paladin and the Shaman.  

Rogues are incredibly powerful, probably more balance issues with rogues then Paladins.  Or am I spelling that wrong, everyone on the WoW forums always talk about rouges. smile

It is interesting to see how many players are Paladins and rogues, very high numbers.  Shamans are very high percentage wise in the Horde.

Warriors and druids are the classes that seem to need some fixing.

I think my biggest annoyance with the Paladin is the free mount, and no difficult quest to get it.  The problem is that a warrior needs to buy his mount at level 40, then try and afford plate mail, etc.  The Paladin gets the free mount, and can immediately invest in much better armor.  Or the Paladin can spend a lot of time and money on trade skills to that point, that others can't because of the mount charge.  A quest definitely needs to be in place for the Paladin and Warlock mounts, that takes a bunch of time.

Seriously... cut the crap and get back to real discussions

And please, class balance is a real discussion.  Sorry if it just happens to be the class you levelled so quickly and play.

---
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2005, 10:22:53 PM »

Quote from: "Semaj"

I was merely making fun of the sheer popularity of the Paladin class.   No harm intended.

I've leveled a Priest almost to 42...  I reserve the right to get in digs on every other class.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2005, 11:25:29 PM »

Population on most servers skews heavily in favor of Alliance.  This is for a few reasons but the most important is the fact that Alliance has two hottie female races and the Horde has zero.  Why this was never addressed in beta?  God only knows but the Horde will always be at a disadvantage because 1) Manginas will play Alliance 2) Most RL women will play Alliance unless they have friends or loved ones already playing Horde

olaf
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 02:39:51 PM »

I think once you get the hang of getting in and out of UC, it's a great place.  Easy to find the trainers and vendors, and the place just drips style (and green goo).

Quote from: "IkeVandergraaf"
Thunder Bluff is also an excellent city.  Org's fine once you get used to it.

TB is pretty well laid out as well, although it does take a little getting used to.  Org is terrible at first to newbies, particularly because of the different levels in the Drag and in the NW section.  I literally went in a circle several times  around the area with the bank in it the first time I was in Org trying to find a particular store.  Turns out it was up on the higher elevation path which is a little tricky getting to until you've done it the first time. It's funny that it's now the main Horde hub. The Org AH was the least trafficked of them all when they first came out in Beta and the city was pretty much always dead.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2005, 03:01:09 PM »

I literally went in a circle several times around the area with the bank in it the first time I was in Org trying to find a particular store.

Hehe, me as well.  It is okay now that I'm used to it.  The Horde cities all seem to have multiple levels, where the Alliance cities are pretty flat.  It just takes getting used to them.

Playing a Tauren Shaman now (rerolled from my Troll one).  I'm finding the Tauren areas, and Thunderbluff to be very relaxing.  It is a nice lakefront area, nice scenary, very tranquill.  It is a fun change of pace.  The Tauren models are big, but well done for the most part.

I'm still struggling with money a lot on the Horde side though, and the Auction House is very dead compared to what is usually at the Alliance AH.  I really have to earn and appreciate my weapons and armor as a Horde character, or any recipes I find.  As an Alliance player, I could pretty much buy or sell whatever I wanted.  I always had the best stuff.  It is an interesting difference, and makes the game a bit more challenging.  Maybe linking auction houses will help on the Horde side.

---
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2005, 02:59:14 PM »

I'm still struggling with money a lot on the Horde side though, and the Auction House is very dead compared to what is usually at the Alliance AH.  I really have to earn and appreciate my weapons and armor as a Horde character, or any recipes I find.  As an Alliance player, I could pretty much buy or sell whatever I wanted.  I always had the best stuff.  It is an interesting difference, and makes the game a bit more challenging.  Maybe linking auction houses will help on the Horde side.

You know, as long as you have a friend (and can get to Gadgetzan (which is doable at a low level as long as you don't mind dying lots)), you can transfer items and cash from the Alliance to the Horde.

Have an Alliance person put up an item for sale on the AH for a buyout of 1 silver. Have the Horde person there ready to buy it the instant it comes up. Purchase, and the item has been transfered.

Cash can be moved (with a 20% fee) by putting up some junk item via the person who's gonna get the money with some insane buyout of a gold or three. Have the person who's gonna give the cash purchase said item. Poof - instant money transfer.

Yes, it's dangerous, and I wouldn't do this anytime when there's activity in the town, but it can be done. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ender
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005, 07:11:22 AM »

UD can devour the corpses of pvp enemies.  That is the single reason to play UD horde.  I love killing a pally (yes there are like infinity running around contested zones) and devouring their corpse.  No better way to rub in the kill.  Or of course /spit works too.  

I'm horde, i'm supposed to behave that way...
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2005, 01:45:31 AM »

Undead have the overpowered will of the forsaken ability which is without a doubt the best racial ability in the game. This also makes horde warlocks and priests easy mode (compared to alliance) since they don't have to contend with half the enemy being immune to fear/charm/sleep.
spybyscript
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2005, 09:06:51 PM »

Actually the will of forsaken isn't nearly as good a benefit as what they dwarf priests get. Dwarf priests get fear ward, which lasts 10 minutes and negates one use of fear against the person. You can cast it on everyone in your group or keep it on yourself in contested areas if you are afraid of being jumped and feared. I would consider fear ward a racial ability since only dwarves can get it. Plus, dwarf priests also get desperate prayer which is a godsend to staying alive in those, well, desperate situations you are about to die in. smile

That is far better than a 15 second fear protection that has to be turned on and is only usable every 5 minutes.

Granted, will of forsaken beats out any other racial ability if you are not a dwarf and a priest.

As far as the topic goes I would've played horde, but everyone I knew already were alliance and there is no way to talk back and forth in the game and skype (or other voice chat) is a little pointless if you can't group or do things together. For me, part of a multiplayer game is to play with friends and people you know and the forced faction inability to do anything together but fight means that the least popular side will have a huge chance of only shrinking in size with time.

BTW, I guess since I play on Tichondrius that means Alliance is always going to have trouble... since it is one of the rare servers where the horde is the one with the largest population at something at like a 2:1 ratio. Almost all contested areas are routinely descimated by the horde every day and just trying to quest is near impossible.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2005, 09:26:16 PM »

Quote from: "spybyscript"
Actually the will of forsaken isn't nearly as good a benefit as what they dwarf priests get. Dwarf priests get fear ward, which lasts 10 minutes and negates one use of fear against the person. You can cast it on everyone in your group or keep it on yourself in contested areas if you are afraid of being jumped and feared. I would consider fear ward a racial ability since only dwarves can get it. Plus, dwarf priests also get desperate prayer which is a godsend to staying alive in those, well, desperate situations you are about to die in. smile

That is far better than a 15 second fear protection that has to be turned on and is only usable every 5 minutes.

Granted, will of forsaken beats out any other racial ability if you are not a dwarf and a priest.

Actully, Will of forsaken is a 20 second ability and a 1.5 minute cooldown.  Also, it not only prevents you from being feared(and stunned, charmed, zzzz)it will wipe out any of these prexisting conditions.   I usually will let them fear/stun whatever me before applying it.  This usually causes them to get confidant/stupid. Heres how it plays(ideally)...I get stunned, held, charmed, etc.  Let this run for a second or 2 then hit WOF wiping out its effects.  They usually have either noticed its broken or feeling over confident have turned they're attention elsewhere(most ideal).  I can either turn and attack them back(if they havent noticed its broken) or hit vanish after WOF and dissappear(if they have noticed) only to reappear hopfully behind them introducing my dagger to they're back.  Most of the time they havent figured out why I broke they're first spell and will try to reapply it...suckers smile.  Now this mostly only works 1 vs 1 but can be effective in smaller skirmishes.  Alot of Alliance i have talked to say undead rogues with WOF give them fits. (espically casters)

morlac00 on PSN
spybyscript
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2005, 10:00:21 PM »

It certainly helps undead rogues a ton, which is probably why nearly every other undead I run into is a rogue. The rest are priests. The priests are the ones who end up surprised though when their fear fails to do anything to me or my group.

The cooldown does make that racial a lot more attractive. Kind of similar to stoneform, then, except I can get rid of poisons on top of my fear ward, which helps a little bit when going against rogues. They usually don't target me though and if they do, the rest of the group nails them.

Taurens, undead, NE and dwarves get nice racial abilities. The rest (and especially the rest of the horde) have horrible kill me now or useless racial abilities.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2005, 10:36:03 PM »

Ohh they dont all suck they just seem to be tailor made for certain classes.  Take orcs for example...%5 bonus to pet damage and 5 to axe skill.  Gee now what class do both of those effect.

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: