http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:17:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW no fee Teusdays  (Read 6918 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2005, 06:43:28 PM »

Thats what the hell I want. It NEVER works till late in the day Teusday thanks to thier pitiful excuse for a server maintenance. Here it is nearly 2pm EST and i still cant get in. I can now get past login and to character select but the world server is still not working.

This is EVERY damn Teusday without fail. We should get 4 days each month knocked off our already high payment.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 07:02:31 PM »

No crap, it really gets annoying.  And they are extremely uninformative when it comes to updating the current status of things.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 07:29:00 PM »

What gets me is the "weekly maintenance" window at  6 AM Pacific.

Wouldn't 1 AM pacific/ 4 AM Eastern make much more sense?  The middle of the night is the time for updates - not early morning.

If I took our network down from 6 - 10 AM, I wouldn't have a job for very long...
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 07:36:29 PM »

As fun as  the game is when it works, the technical issues are dragging down my level of enjoyment.  I'm still getting occasional loot lag, getting bugged on resources that cause me to get stuck in the harvesting postion, with my only recourse is to alt/tab and exit game from windows.  The last 2 weeks(since last patch?) I've been getting a ton of CTD.  Most of these occur when im messing with my inventory, espically opening all bags at once.  Just about everytime i go to town to sell im gonna get a game crash...very annoying.  I've also gotten 3 game freezes in the last 2 weeks, they seem totally random however.   The best part is everytime this happens(the CTD) you get this wonderfull bug report system...only it doesn't work...for me at least.  It times out or gets an error everytime..shrug.  Anyone else experincing any of this?  Espically since the last patch?

morlac00 on PSN
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 07:49:10 PM »

i've experienced the looting a resource bug a couple of times but it's always been the same flower or the same copper vein so i know to avoid these.  it's only a problem when i discover new bugged resources but it seems that logging out and back in fixes being stuck in the loot position.  and, to be honest, this has happened only once in a while so it hasn't been a source of constant annoyance.

and speaking of constant annoyances, damn, i don't wanna go to work today.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 07:57:23 PM »

You can fix the loot kneeling by looting a good one and it fixes ya......I have another gripe and thats almost every time I relog or try to it crashes to desktop with some silly error....so instead of relogging an alt in I have to relog the whole game each time.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 09:13:29 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
You can fix the loot kneeling by looting a good one and it fixes ya.

That is if you can find one near and your not too wounded from the previous fight(if you got bugged looting a dead mob).  Other problem with this is that it leaves you in the combat mode as far as your healing is concerned...in other words you heal reeeaaal slow.

morlac00 on PSN
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 09:16:37 PM »

Quote from: "Exodor"
If I took our network down from 6 - 10 AM, I wouldn't have a job for very long...

We had an "unscheduled" network maintenance update today from 9AM to 3PM and there were plenty of unhappy campers here.  Lucky for me I'm not on the network staff. slywink
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 09:24:49 PM »

Quote from: "mb737"

We had an "unscheduled" network maintenance update today from 9AM to 3PM and there were plenty of unhappy campers here.  Lucky for me I'm not on the network staff. slywink

Sure, but unscheduled downtime is an entirely different matter - although 6 hours is a long time.  Glad I don't work there.   :wink:  

This is scheduled downtime - that should take place when populations are at the lowest, and i have a hard time believe 9 AM Eastern is the low point.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 11:04:00 PM »

Why wouldn't 9am EST be a low point?  Almost everyone on the east coast is either at work/school or sleeping.  Yes, I know there are folks for whom that's prime play time, but I can't help but believe that Blizzard isn't made up of idiots, and they can read the server load reports and figure out what time is the lowest population for the purposes of scheduling maintenance.

Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 11:12:24 PM »

Lots of people playing in different time zones where complaining since early in the morning pst is their prime time supposedly. Blizzard should have just made the servers for time zones and if someone has a problem with the server going down at 4am pst, they can go on another server where maybe it goes down at 4am est.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 11:13:37 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Why wouldn't 9am EST be a low point?

Because that's when I play!   Tongue

But do you really believe there are more on at 4 AM EST / 1:00 PST?
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 01:12:27 AM »

Why wouldn't 9am EST be a low point?  Almost everyone on the east coast is either at work/school or sleeping.  Yes, I know there are folks for whom that's prime play time, but I can't help but believe that Blizzard isn't made up of idiots, and they can read the server load reports and figure out what time is the lowest population for the purposes of scheduling maintenance.

You don't schedule maintenance for 9 AM EST.  That is extremely disrespectful of your customers.  Blizzard is way too cocky imo.

You schedule maintenance for 4 AM EST.  I am sure that is much more of a low point than 9 AM.  Its a no brainer really.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 01:20:59 AM »

Not to defend Blizzard here, but they live in California. Therefore, 6am PST is early in the morning for them.

Do you really want a bunch of tired techs working on defragging/updating/rebooting a couple of dozen servers? That's how I look at it. biggrin

As for the login server issues though, all I have to say is this - once the servers get up, log in. Then never log out for the day. You'll be relatively safe then. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 02:46:10 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Not to defend Blizzard here, but they live in California. Therefore, 6am PST is early in the morning for them.

Do you really want a bunch of tired techs working on defragging/updating/rebooting a couple of dozen servers? That's how I look at it. biggrin

As for the login server issues though, all I have to say is this - once the servers get up, log in. Then never log out for the day. You'll be relatively safe then. smile

Techs often work in the middle of the night.  If they can't handle it they need to get out of the biz.  Having people come in early once a week to do maintenance is not unreasonable especially in a supposedly 24x7 business.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 03:08:32 AM »

Do you really want a bunch of tired techs working on defragging/updating/rebooting a couple of dozen servers?

After today's login problems, I think they are a bunch of idiot techs, tired or not.

The few times I could play, my character was rolled back, only be to be kicked.  Mail or AH work all night?  Nah.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Tony
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 03:56:01 AM »

Yeah, tonight was absolutely horrible.  For about the hour I played, I was kicked out of the server 3 or 4 times and lost some quest rewards.  Finally I gave up for the night.  As much as I love this game, if this keeps up there's no point in me keeping my membership.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 05:07:16 AM »

I had the wonderful bug of getting stuck in combat tonight.  Couldn't /quit, /logout, /camp... couldn't regen health... had to ctrl-alt-delete and kill wow.exe.  Then I couldn't get back on as it would get stuck at authenticating... fun times indeed!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 05:37:45 AM »

Ive had a new bug recently where ill be fighting or just standing around and my mouse will not be able to click anything on screen. I cant even log out..I have to kill it then restart it.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2005, 06:35:42 AM »

I just like at it as one night a week where i play Pirates! instead. Blizz is doing me a favor by giving me the opportunity to occassionally play some other games Tongue

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2005, 01:15:19 PM »

This is what happens when you remove the Christmas trees and decorations....should have just left em there.  smile

I agree though, I'm encountering more issues on Tuesdays than any other day.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 01:37:40 PM »

Well now it should be a no fee wednesday... there are about 10 servers down for emergency maintenance, whisperwind being one of them.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 02:19:55 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Well now it should be a no fee wednesday... there are about 10 servers down for emergency maintenance, whisperwind being one of them.

Those 10 are the busiest servers, and from what I hear about the complaints on the forums, ones that have some SERIOUS issues in general. Always coming down during the late night/morning hours.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2005, 02:29:50 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
I had the wonderful bug of getting stuck in combat tonight.  Couldn't /quit, /logout, /camp... couldn't regen health... had to ctrl-alt-delete and kill wow.exe.  Then I couldn't get back on as it would get stuck at authenticating... fun times indeed!

If you haven't yet, next time you get stuck like this, try just hitting alt-f4.  Bliz was supposed to have taken that out, but it's still in.  I couldn't logout last night either and alt-f4 did the trick for me.

And Chaz:

Why wouldn't 9am EST be a low point?

9am EST wouldn't be so bad if it was when the maintenance was scheduled to end, but as a starting point, it's awful.  You're basically telling east coasters (who have to make up a sizeable percentage of the customer base) that they can't play all morning and into the afternoon.

The smart thing to do would be to start the maintenance at something like 4 or 5 am EST.  I know that's awful early for the maintenance team, but as others have said, early maintenance windows work best because of the lower demand for service.
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2005, 02:45:25 PM »

Yeah I was on Argent Dawn most of yesterday evening and it was a mess.  I was having an awesome time, and had paired up with a fellow dwarf for a long questing but eventually the whole thing was too unstable for us to continue.  Aside from realm crashes, player rollbacks... the database lag was so bad that the game couldn't even tell that my Hunter had tamed a pet.  I had it, but I couldn't see its mood and it wouldn't come up in my Character sheet.  Too bad we were having such a blast.  ArcBlade the Dwarf Warrior I salute you wherever you are!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2005, 03:33:57 PM »

I guess my problem is that if these servers that were brought down are the busiest and have been having problems, they should have either been upgraded by now or they should offer a transfer off.  Or god forbid thier techs stay all night and do the emergency maintenance at the wee hours of the night.

Gedd, I did try alt-f4 and it did nothing unfortunately.  Killing the .exe worked it is just a pain to do.  If I am in an inn, there is no way I am in combat, the game should let me quit.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2005, 04:22:18 PM »

2 nights ago I had new mail showing but when I went to check it the mail was super lagged again. After waiting about 2 min for it to show up I closed the mailbox thinking maybe if I reopened it it would show....but when I closed it my "you have new mail" icon disappeared! So whatever mail I did have I lost. I still dont know what I had.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2005, 04:40:59 PM »

It will often show the new mail icon when you don't indeed have any mail. Not surprisingly, this seems to happen to me most when the server is lagging.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2005, 04:50:52 PM »

It must be specific servers...because I'm on Feathermoon now and rarely have any trouble (and I'm on a lot morning, afternoon and night).  It is a medium population server though.  I did have a LOT more problems when I was on Whisperwind full time...especially in Ironforge.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2005, 04:55:16 PM »

Just thought I should rub it in that I had a blast last night, no technical issues at all.  My server has a high population, but is not one of the top 10.  We formed a great pickup group, a priest, warrior, shaman, mage, and druid -- ended up cruising through several quests in the Thousand Needles and got lots of experience, loot, etc.

I feel for you guys, really -- just glad it didn't happen to me.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2005, 04:58:47 PM »

I came to whisperwind to play with Almost Heroes so it's all their fault.  :wink:

I guess I should feel lucky that I am at work today so I won't be frustrated by the downtime.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2005, 08:47:59 PM »

Quote from: "Jafisob"
I came to whisperwind to play with Almost Heroes so it's all their fault.  :wink:

I guess I should feel lucky that I am at work today so I won't be frustrated by the downtime.

Thats why I went to whisperwind too. Although my latency usually is around 200-300 because the server is a ways away (Im in Hawaii), it's not to bad, because even if I go with the recommended server, my latency shows as 150-180 anyway. I certainly don't want to change servers, but I will say this, if they have problems this weekend with the servers, Im going to go balistic because my wife is going out of town for business and I want to get some serious game time in.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2005, 11:38:56 PM »

This is why I waited until late on the day on day 1 (thanks to work, mainly) to pick my low population server.

Ah, good old Teneris (however you spell it). Although I do have to admit - it's starting to get crowded a bit on the lower end of the population scale (based on /census, anyway). Thankfully I'm level 40, and I can farm lots of low end stuff that's a near guarenteed sale. biggrin

scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2005, 12:49:56 AM »

It's all good to play on a server with a low pop if you can get your buddies on a low pop server, but if they are already on a high pop server (why did Almost Heroes pick one anyway?), you're assed out.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2005, 02:54:25 AM »

Well, login seems to be down.. go to the forums, a post in general sends to realm status, click on post in realm status and you get an error page, so no explanation currently other than I know I can't get on yet again... sigh.
unbreakable
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2005, 04:20:33 AM »

Cant log in today.  Almost makes me want to have my computer constantly running WoW just so I dont have to risk using the login server.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2005, 05:31:18 AM »

Three rollbacks of the server in an hour and call pet is broken.   Not so good.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2005, 10:10:08 AM »

The middle of the night is the time for updates - not early morning.

I'd disagree with this completely. Less people play in the morning hours (8am-10am). Guild events and stuff usually happen really late at night(11pm-3/4am). I see a ton of people on late in the night/late night and very few in the  morning.

Most people work dayshift, and others work the PM shift.  It makes sense that they'd schedule ONE DAY outta the week to try and keep the servers running the best they can. Though, they definitely need to replace the servers and add more.  Hopefully Blizzard will see the light and allow the auction houses to be linked across the world. The auction house in Ironforge on IF is freaking packed almost at all hours EXCEPT after 7pm CST.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2005, 12:38:06 PM »

EDIT: crap.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2005, 12:46:37 PM »

It has now been moved to Thursday and extended to 16 hours!  Oh, hooray!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: