http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:15:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW: new instance- a necropolis  (Read 4641 times)
unbreakable
« on: January 28, 2006, 11:07:50 PM »

Saw this on Slashdot:

"The New York Times has an interview with World Of Warcraft Lead Game Designer Jeff Kaplan (Tigole), in which he talks about the next raid dungeon after Ahn'Quiraj, the necropolis Naxxramas." From the article: "Naxxramas is going to be the most difficult thing in the game until the expansion pack comes out. It will be the pinnacle, and it's absolutely massive. You'll see this big necropolis floating above Eastern Plaguelands. It's a 40-man raid zone, and it's bigger than the Undercity [one of the main cities in the game]. Things could change, but we're up to something like 18 bosses in there, and they are really cool, too. But it's going to be hard. Really hard. We're hoping to release it in the spring." If you told me two years ago that I'd be reading about an upcoming instance in the sport section of the NYT, I'd have called you a damn dirty liar. May you live in interesting times, indeed.

WoW, a whole raid city.  Pretty neat.

Maybe now we will start hearing about what happened with Arthas and the Lich King after the events of TFT.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 01:21:19 AM »

What the heck?  I thought the next raid instance was going to be linked to Stratholme.  There's a raid portal to the left of the ziggarut where the Baron is.  I haven't been in Strath for a while, so maybe they changed it.  Or maybe you have to go there to get attuned to this new place.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 01:52:49 AM »

I wonder if this will somehow be tied to the unused instance portal / creepy unused zones explorable in ghost form that are located in the rarely-visited southern segment of Deadwind Pass.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 02:27:50 AM »

That one, I believe, is planned to be some kind of haunted house instance.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 06:27:32 AM »

The tower portal is going to be Medivh's Tower, which I think is planned with the expansion, but I could be pulling that out of my ass.

Naxxramas sounds cool and I will of course never see it.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 06:34:26 AM »

It says it is the biggest thing until the expansion so,,, put that thing back in your ass.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 07:16:16 AM »

Quote from: "drifter"
It says it is the biggest thing until the expansion so,,, put that thing back in your ass.

Medivh's Tower and Deadwind Pass has nothing to do with that raid instance.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 02:58:24 PM »

Quote from: "namatoki"
What the heck?  I thought the next raid instance was going to be linked to Stratholme.  There's a raid portal to the left of the ziggarut where the Baron is.  I haven't been in Strath for a while, so maybe they changed it.  Or maybe you have to go there to get attuned to this new place.

Well, given that Strath is in the EPL and this is too, there's a good chance they could be linked.  I know the portal you're speaking of.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 08:48:18 PM »

So what happened to more casual content?
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 08:53:37 PM »

They discuss that in the article.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 10:21:16 PM »

I guessI should finally get to level 60, eh?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 08:04:27 AM »

They need more quests, especially stuff you can solo or 5 man, and especially from level 40 on up to post 60.  Beyond that though...I dont see a need for 'casual' content.  Old content becomes casual content as the playerbase gets better.  And if there really is a 'casual' player out there who maybe plays 2-3 hours a week, well that guy is never gonna run out of stuff to do anyway.

They need more post 60 content, badly.

olaf
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 10:47:16 AM »

There are people who are seeking that hard-core endgame experience, but to people who casually follow the quests and just ended up at Level 60, it can be very jarring to them. We're trying to put in more content for them, like the Field Duty quests in Ahn'Qiraj, but the resolution we're all hoping for is the expansion, which will give those players more WOW as they know it. [Mr. Kaplan also said that the game would soon add a new casual-player-friendly armor set obtained through a multipart quest. The first parts can be completed by a solo player, he said, while the later parts will require a group of no more than five people.]
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 03:32:16 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
They need more quests, especially stuff you can solo or 5 man, and especially from level 40 on up to post 60.  Beyond that though...I dont see a need for 'casual' content.  Old content becomes casual content as the playerbase gets better.  And if there really is a 'casual' player out there who maybe plays 2-3 hours a week, well that guy is never gonna run out of stuff to do anyway.

They need more post 60 content, badly.

olaf

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=6890058&p=1&tmp=1#post6890058
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 03:18:58 AM »

Yeah that will help but its not a fix.

There is tons of content 1-59.9.  So many quests and instances that if you tried to do them all, you probably couldnt without outleveling a lot of them.

Then at 60 you have...well, nothing similar.  A handful of raid instances.  Some PvP instances.  A handful of quests, most of the crappy faction grinds.

They need to add more post 60 content, faster.

olaf
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 07:34:40 AM »

I don't agree with that.  Once my Priest turned 60, I was kind of overwhelmed by all the stuff I had to do.

[edit- speaking of Priests, next patch is going to feature talent changes and a free respec]
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 11:43:52 AM »

Well, there is a lot of stuff to do at 60 of course.  Raids open up.  You can still do a lot of the stuff you did on the way to 60.  Trades.  Farm.  Faction grind.  PvP.  Play the AH.  Hang with friends.  Etc.

But in terms of new content, made for your character's level/power range, there is just a lot less post 60 than pre 60.

olaf
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 04:44:44 PM »

I have never understood the whole 'new content' complaint.  There is so much stuff in the game I still haven't seen, I can't imagine what 'new content' people are looking for.  

That's just me, however.  Others might feel that way, but I just don't understand it.

The 'stuff' I was talking about doing wasnt anythng you mentioned (faction grind, etc).  My priest's quest log is still full, and there are tons of places I would like to go.  I'll probably do it with a different character, however, since I'm sort of tired of being a squishy class.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 04:48:14 PM »

Quote from: "Koz"
The tower portal is going to be Medivh's Tower, which I think is planned with the expansion, but I could be pulling that out of my ass.

I just read something on Blizzard's site; this is indeed correct.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 05:37:32 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
Well, there is a lot of stuff to do at 60 of course.  Raids open up.  You can still do a lot of the stuff you did on the way to 60.  Trades.  Farm.  Faction grind.  PvP.  Play the AH.  Hang with friends.  Etc.

But in terms of new content, made for your character's level/power range, there is just a lot less post 60 than pre 60.

If you solo/duo up to 60 doing quests and such, five 5-person dungeons are waiting for you to plunder, more than is available to your character at any other level. Of course you can hit these prior to 60th and many do to some degree or another, but by no means is there less content at 60 than there is at any other given level. Not even close really.

If you are refering to solo content, then I can see where you are coming from as there really is about the same amount available at 60th as there is at any other level, which to say is not enough to keep anyone occuppied for a huge amount of time.

As I have mentioned before, this is the price we have to pay for an easy leveling curve, easy soloability, ample experience from quests, no required grinding (in terms of having to kill the same mobs over and over to gain experience). To me, it was worth it.

To many though, the game loses its wings early due to all of this.

I really wish Blizzard could have realized this beforehand and ramped up content creation to a much more significant degree. Given WoW's financial success, it definately seems in the realm of feasibility. Instead, they fell back on "tried and true" MMOL methods like these horrible faction grinds. A shame they could not continue to break the MMOLG mold.
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 08:02:27 PM »

But faction grinding isnt even necessary for anything.  It pretty much just allows you access to stuff you can buy.

Now it would be nice if there were other ways than killing to gain that faction (like quests) but oh well.  My priest somehow messed up his faction with those fulbolg things really bad.  I wanted to get the mooncloth tailoring stuff, but I can live without it.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 08:27:30 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
But faction grinding isnt even necessary for anything.  It pretty much just allows you access to stuff you can buy.

That is true for most factions. Cenarion Circle faction is a bit more complex than that however with the whole summoning stuff from the 3 types of windstones deal.
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 01:41:18 AM »

I havent been to silithus since they finished it.  Prior to that, it was hella cool even though it wasnt itemized.  I'm not sure, but I think they changed the zone map as well.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 12:25:57 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I havent been to silithus since they finished it.  Prior to that, it was hella cool even though it wasnt itemized.  I'm not sure, but I think they changed the zone map as well.

I hate grinding, and that included faction grinding, but in Silithus they atleast added some flavor to it.

Killing twilight NPC's (level 58-60th non-elites) gives you slight cenerion faction. You collect things off them including twlight texts (which you can turn in for more faction or a goodie bag with possible blue plans in there) and 3 twlight armor pieces.

Once you get a full set of the 3 pieces (they drop fairly regularly) you can approach a lesser windstone at one of the camps and summon up an mean elemental. Soloable to some, but most duo it just to be on the safe side. These drop an abyssmal charm and sometimes a green or even blue item not found anywhere else.

Once you have 3 charms and are friendly with Cenarion Circle you can turn them in along with a large brilliant shard for a medallion. Using the medallion and other set of twlight armor you can summon up a duke elemental from one of the regular wind stones. These can drop some decent blues (often blue leggings with +15/15/15 stats and good bonus, like +1% chance to crit for melee-type legs). They also drop another type of charm which is used for another medallion. Using it and a ring that drops from rares at the camps, you can summon an elemental from the greater windstone which takes 20-30 people to kill and can drop epic items.  

There is also a way to make specific dukes and duke lords spawn if you want to invest some time in gathering up a bunch of specific items.

So, its not necessarily a straight faction grind like say the firbolgs where you kill firbolgs over and over and over to get access to items/patterns at the firbolg store.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2006, 12:22:13 AM »

Grinding sucks.  Faction grinding is pretty lame but its obvious that Blizzard considers faction grinding to be content, they are constantly pimping it these days.

As for instances at 60, I am familiar with them.  My point is that the game has a lot more content pre 60 than post 60, thats it.

olaf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: