http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW joins the dustbin...  (Read 3983 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »

I decided to drop my WoW subscription.  With pressure from a friend of mine, I ground my Rogue the last 10 levels to get to 70, bought a purple from a guildie for 800g ... and never played again.  This was back in May.  I paid for an entire three month subscription without logging in once.  The WotLK content appeals to me a little on the conceptual level, but not enough to warrant the purchase of the expansion and the continuation of the fees.  Go gently into the night, Elyandra.

So WoW joins the dustbin on top of EverQuest, WWII Online, and City of Heroes. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »

I hope you enjoyed the ride although there is some much you missed out on in terms of content that was within your grasp. But I can understand if you are not playing, no sense in paying.  nod

I just got my 8th character to 70 this past week (enchancement shaman) so I am getting a little bored. Heh. Right now I am getting his leatherworking up to 375 (I have maxed all the other professions), but man the last bit is a royal pain, currently at 365. Can't wait for the expansion personally. New instances, new focus on 10-person raid groups, lots and lots of lore. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »

I too learned the hard way not to commit to 3- or 6-month subscriptions unless I was truly hooked (I was, with City of Heroes, about 2004-2007). Even though I'm re-hooked on LOTRO at the moment, I'm sticking with month-to-month for now.

So when did you play WWII Online? I never knew anyone who actually played it for any period of time. I was curious about it (I'm a military shooter junkie though I think I've finally faded in my interest in that genre).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 06:57:45 PM »

Time for Warhammer Online!

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 06:59:55 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 07, 2008, 05:31:52 PM

So when did you play WWII Online? I never knew anyone who actually played it for any period of time. I was curious about it (I'm a military shooter junkie though I think I've finally faded in my interest in that genre).

In case you didn't know, WWII Online is still up and running with Battleground Europe.  A couple guys I work with still play that occasionally and they seem to dig it (they are kind of WWII buffs, I guess).  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »

I too learned the hard way not to commit to 3- or 6-month subscriptions unless I was truly hooked (I was, with City of Heroes, about 2004-2007). Even though I'm re-hooked on LOTRO at the moment, I'm sticking with month-to-month for now.

I was a paying beta tester at launch.  Nothing like spending 20 minutes jogging to the next town to get one-shotted, only to do it again.  I didn't stick around long enough for all of the inevitable patches.  I've heard it's gotten better, but I have't been tempted to go back.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 03:21:39 PM »

There is no way I could ever go back to WoW now that there is Warhammer Online.  In my opinion it takes lots of the headaches that WoW has out and is a superior game in every way.  This is coming from someone who at one time was playing off of two accounts and had multiple characters hit the level cap.

For those that are still into it, you've got quite a bit to look forward to when the expansion comes out.  For me, Warhammer is where it's at for now.  One WoW account was sold off over a year ago, the other I canceled last month.  This past weekend I went through and finally removed the game from all three computers in the house.  Yes, it feels like the end of an era after playing it since release.  It's a good kind of feeling though.    icon_biggrin

glyc
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:23:12 PM by Glycerine » Logged

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 03:37:57 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on October 08, 2008, 03:21:39 PM

There is no way I could ever go back to WoW now that there is Warhammer Online.  In my opinion it takes lots of the headaches that WoW has out and is a superior game in every way.  This is coming from someone who at one time was playing off of two accounts and had multiple characters hit the level cap.

For those that are still into it, you've got quite a bit to look forward to when the expansion comes out.  For me, Warhammer is where it's at for now.  One WoW account was sold off over a year ago, the other I canceled last month.  This past weekend I went through and finally removed the game from all three computers in the house.  Yes, it feels like the end of an era after playing it since release.  It's a good kind of feeling though.    icon_biggrin

glyc

Sounds nice to finally be done with WoW. But i'm terrified to try Warhammer.

Hold me.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 05:03:43 PM »

Same........deep sixed WoW a couple of months ago.

Glad to shake that monkey off my back

Put a new monkey there in its place........

Long live Warhammer...............

Till the next latest and greatest comes along.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »

Thanks for the WWII Online insights. I do realize it was pretty much a disaster at launch (I seem to recall it and Anarchy Online got "Coasters of the Month" awards from CGW way back when, for their launches) and then it seemed to gradually become a modestly successful niche MMO. I knew it was still up and running - just don't hear much about it anymore.

I'm content in my return to LOTRO at the moment and anxious for the Moria expansion. However, Warhammer is definitely on my radar screen, and I'd like to at least try a trial version of it some day if that's offered. I just don't think I'm PVP'y enough of a person to truly get into it. Planetside was about the only pseudo PVP-MMO that really hooked me (I guess some would call it more of an MMO FPS), and only for about 6 months at that.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »

I'm going to check out Wrath of the Lich King, but my fear is that I'm going to have the same issues with it as I do with the current state of WoW.

There's too many people trying to do certain content - whenever something spawns on Sunwell Isle, it's like a freaking race to tag the spawn before someone else;

Too much untouched content that doesn't come with the 'uberplayer stamp of approval' - Honor Hold rep? You don't need that. Go grind Shattered Sun. Go grind Aldor. Etc. Etc. Bah;

Not enough people with any patience for noobs in dungeons - I mean, seriously - I'm level 70. My bonus healing is at 1050. Not enough to heal a heroic, not enough to heal kara and it's hard as hell to find a group at 70 not for one of those unless...;

Too many players that think other people in the game exist solely to 'serve' them. I was in a guild which was building to do 70s content. I was griding along, went from the 30s when I joined with my wife to the 60s. I transfered my 70 priest from another server (so now I have two priests. Yay). Along the way, a few people up and left because 'no one would help them through quests'. People who had never helped me with anything...ever...in the guild would randomly send me a tell asking if I could help them with a quest or run them through stockades, or something else that's stupid that they DON'T EVEN NEED. These people typically would leave the guild anyways a few weeks later, because they have no idea how to do anything for themselves.

I keep wishing they'd take 2/3rds of the level 60 dungeons and raids and re-do them for level 70 players. Well... level 80 players now. I want to revisit Strat.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 07:30:06 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 08, 2008, 05:49:34 PM

I just don't think I'm PVP'y enough of a person to truly get into it.

I'm an old guy and before WAR I'd pvp'ed exactly twice: 1 BG in WOW and long ago one drunken Saturday night I rolled up a character on old AC1's Darktide server (pleasekillme) and had some fun with the brave gankers waiting for newbies at a spawn spot.

I was heading out in WAR to do yet another solo PvE quest at about level 3 or so and spotted the NPC that hands out a Scenario quest and I thought to myself, "Why the hell not?" I haven't looked back and have done virtually no PvE since that first scenario. I haven't had this much fun in a game in a decade.

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 09:40:42 PM »

So Warhammer Online has some solo PvE content?  I thought it was all PvP stuff.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 08, 2008, 09:40:42 PM

It has tons of solo pve content BUT the quickest way to level up is to join a scenario queue and do quest at the same time. When you finish up an RvR scenario you pop back to where you were when you entered the match since you can join a queue from anywhere in the world.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »

It does, but it's not quite as solo friendly as say WoW or EQ2. A duo, most definitely. Solo, you'll be spending some time standing around waiting for your health to regen (unless you play a healer).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 07, 2008, 06:59:55 PM

In case you didn't know, WWII Online is still up and running with Battleground Europe.  A couple guys I work with still play that occasionally and they seem to dig it (they are kind of WWII buffs, I guess).  

I'm still in a WWiiO (40Co) - not played for a while now but I know they are still active. I think the subscription stabilised around the 10k mark. Still had some incredible moments in that game

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 08, 2008, 10:06:55 PM

It does, but it's not quite as solo friendly as say WoW or EQ2. A duo, most definitely. Solo, you'll be spending some time standing around waiting for your health to regen (unless you play a healer).

Possibly to clarrify that smile Certainly in the low levels <11 I am finding I am stronger as a player as an Archmage - healer than I was as a bright wizard with no healing capabilties. WARs healers are certainly more battlers.

Certainly didn't expect myself to be up there in the killing fields with him smile The 36 being the key figure - number of assisted kills. Not got any solo kills in that one but previously had a couple smile

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 02:03:03 AM »

I have had no problems soloing in Warhammer for the most part.  I have joined several pick-up groups for public quests (and done a few with friends), but the majority of my time has been spent in PvE content and it has been quite fun. 

There is very little down time in this game, at least for any of the melee classes I've played.  At most it takes like 10 seconds not in combat to regain all of your health and action points. 

I've tried the scenarios but don't really feel the love.  To me it basically feels like playing Battlefield with knives only.  Plus, I don't like outleveling all of the PvE content (and there is plenty of it). 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 02:05:33 AM »

there has only been maybe a handful of quests in WAR that I needed a group (as a Marauder). Not sure, but I am even thinking those that I was grouped up while doing probably could have been done solo. No, wait, I take that back. I have a quest right now where I gotta kill a Hero in Troll Country, that I will need some help with. Other than that, though....PQ's are the only thing I have ever really needed a group for in PvE.

And, as for RvR/PvP....I have always HATED pvp in other MMO's. But in WAR...it is so incredibly natural. I absolutely LOVE RvR, and will jump into a group fighting open RvR whenever there is a fight going on. WAR does pvp the right way, I think.

PSN: MythicalMino
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 05:56:13 AM »

Quote from: MythicalMino on October 09, 2008, 02:05:33 AM

there has only been maybe a handful of quests in WAR that I needed a group (as a Marauder). Not sure, but I am even thinking those that I was grouped up while doing probably could have been done solo. No, wait, I take that back. I have a quest right now where I gotta kill a Hero in Troll Country, that I will need some help with. Other than that, though....PQ's are the only thing I have ever really needed a group for in PvE.

And, as for RvR/PvP....I have always HATED pvp in other MMO's. But in WAR...it is so incredibly natural. I absolutely LOVE RvR, and will jump into a group fighting open RvR whenever there is a fight going on. WAR does pvp the right way, I think.

I think it manages this by ensuring you battle within your levels. Certainly i'm with you on this. It's the first MMORPG that i'll go out of my way to get involved in the RVR.

Tals

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 02:36:50 PM »

Quote from: Tals on October 09, 2008, 05:56:13 AM

Quote from: MythicalMino on October 09, 2008, 02:05:33 AM

I think it manages this by ensuring you battle within your levels. Certainly i'm with you on this. It's the first MMORPG that i'll go out of my way to get involved in the RVR.

Tals

Yeah, and it seems to do a pretty good job.  I was playing with a buddy of mine last night who was at rank 13 and went into the tier 1 RvR zone....and was promptly turned into a chicken.  All he could do was flutter around and cluck, even after he left the area.  He said the debuff didn't go away until he had died.  That's a pretty inventive way to discourage the gankers.  smile

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 04:30:40 PM »

On a side note, another way to remove the chicken debuff is to fly to your main city since that is considered a "safe" zone.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 06:29:01 PM »

I have also dropped WoW to play War.  Much more surprising is my wife who also dropped WoW to play War.  WoW is pretty much the only game she has played for well over two years and she always went back to WoW after trying close to every other modern MMO out there.  War is the first and possibly the first that will give WoW a run for it's money in the long run.  Especially once the expansion is out and people get bored at 80 after a couple of months.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »

Quote from: ericb on October 09, 2008, 06:29:01 PM

War is the first and possibly the first that will give WoW a run for it's money in the long run.  Especially once the expansion is out and people get bored at 80 after a couple of months.

I highly doubt it. DaoC had the same PvP-oriented gameplay and it fell quickly to niche status. While WAR did make some strides over DaoC, at the core, it is still very similar. RVR loses its luster quicker than you might think.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 10:49:53 PM »

Quote from: Toe on October 09, 2008, 08:07:33 PM

Quote from: ericb on October 09, 2008, 06:29:01 PM

War is the first and possibly the first that will give WoW a run for it's money in the long run.  Especially once the expansion is out and people get bored at 80 after a couple of months.

I highly doubt it. DaoC had the same PvP-oriented gameplay and it fell quickly to niche status. While WAR did make some strides over DaoC, at the core, it is still very similar. RVR loses its luster quicker than you might think.

Tonight I had pretty much one of my most enjoyable experiences in WAR (and any other MMORPG) and I think it highlighted the difference between War and Daoc - which incidentally I never stayed long enough with to get to RVR.

Raz and I had decided to hook up and amazingly we did! We grouped up and decided to hit a public quest. I notice some guys who seem to be playing well with us so request the invite to raz (awesome feature) and before we know it we have 6 really good team players. We completed the PQ and then moved onto another one. By now the whole group is working really well together. Both PQ's the group did with no other assistance. We then decided that as a group we had to try out the scenarios. Raz added us into the queue and we wander back to town to offload - but the queue was short so before we get back we're into the scenario. We win this one easily - almost scarily so. Getting a little cocksure we head straight back into it. Again we win but this is close - real close like 480 - 500 with them leading for a lot of the time. I suspect one of our members understanding of this scenario helped a tad smile We're ready to log but the just one more has to be done and this time we win by a large margin. All in all it was a fantastic evening. I have never in my time of playing encountered such an ease whereby you can hook up with players and when you have a great group how great it really works. Whether we just got lucky or having myself and Raz started the ball rolling either way a great night was had. I ended by moving to a quest rich region before logging ready for tomorrow night.

So in all we played PQ's and won, we did the scenarios and I hit some quests. Maybe tomorrow we're try some actual RVR. Either way the game is not just about the RVR - it's how it merges it with all the other aspects of the game which makes it work so well. I've yet to feel ganked as well - first game to get that award smile

Tals

Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 07:41:47 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on October 08, 2008, 05:03:43 PM

Same........deep sixed WoW a couple of months ago.

Glad to shake that monkey off my back

Put a new monkey there in its place........

Long live Warhammer...............

Till the next latest and greatest comes along.

Hear..Hear...Warhammer so far has been fun...until something better comes along smile

Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 07:10:23 AM »

WoW always seems to be my  "Ok this game blew chunks, I'm going back to WoW till something better comes along" solution.

Wish more games came out with a trial period at launch so that I stop dropping new-game money down the crapper.

Gonna eat your face
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »

With the new update, WOW seem to be interesting again with people figure thing out. Maybe it'll last a few weeks before back to where every class has just a few "right" talent builds.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 10:07:43 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 07, 2008, 04:06:39 PM

So WoW joins the dustbin on top of EverQuest, WWII Online, and City of Heroes. 

That's a short list ya got there rookie. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 12:10:57 PM »

man i'm crazy, but i'm considering picking up Wow and giving it a shot again.    i played it at launch for the 30 day trial and quit.    i again tried it last year and quit after 30 days....even though i loved it.    i think the highest i ever got a character was in the mid 20's.    i always quit because i could never find many questing groups and soloing got tiresome after a while.    same reason i'm not resubbing to LoTRO after the trial is over with it too.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »

I found that WoW was like a singles club for the sexually disinterested.

Sure, you might hook up with someone ... but for what purpose?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm not saying WoW is a dating service ... it just has no point. Es hat keiner Zweck.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 10:18:54 PM »

Name a game, particularly an MMO, that has a point.

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 02:38:55 AM »

Quote from: Lorini on October 17, 2008, 10:18:54 PM

Define "point" smile

My friend is a WoW nut, er I mean enthusiast, and talked me into getting back into the game for the 3.02 patch. My last stint with WoW was back in December of 2007. He sent me a "scroll of resurrection" which is where an active member can invite a past member for 10 free days, as long as the past member has been out of the game for at least 90 days.

I got the game installed and patched (which took over 3 hours itself) and played for a bit with my old 44 human warrior. i just couldn't get into it. I've done the same quests soooo many times, and going back and killing "mangy wolves" in the Hinterlands just isn't doing it for me.

The MMO mechanic isn't that appealing to me anymore.

Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 02:55:50 AM »

That's what I was asking. I was responding to the post above mine.

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 07:12:50 PM »

Quote from: Lorini on October 17, 2008, 10:18:54 PM

Well, for WoW it would be get "epic lewts" and "pwn n00bz" I think.

For me, it's the Warcraft universe lore, which is why I love the fact they made the old world raids much easier to complete, so that even blue-geared nobodies like myself can experience the cool events and fights.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:14:39 PM by Mikagami » Logged

Gonna eat your face
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: