http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 12:26:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WoW - It's a great big world  (Read 2754 times)
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2005, 06:33:21 AM »

I've been playing for about 8 weeks now and have yet to see most of the world.  I mean the place is huge.

This past weekend I made my first trips into Desolace and Feathermoon. Very cool places. Discovering new areas is a lot of fun. Especially when a lot of the mobs are Level ?? it makes for some nervous exploring.

I've still not seen most of the Horde areas, but when I level up a little more I plan on trying to finish filling out my maps.

BTW, I've got a level 37 rogue and level 22 priest.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 07:43:50 PM »

Yeah I agree, it's huge.  From my travels, the Alliance zones are much nicer looking that the Horde ones.  I have seen lots, but not all of the world and I am loving it.  I have a level 50 Undead Rogue.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 07:49:59 PM »

Agreed, the Horde zones look pretty much like...uh...Arizona.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »

You oughta feel right at home, then, Ron. slywink
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 08:37:19 PM »

I kind of like the wide open spaces of the horde starting areas.  Sure, they aren't as pretty -- but it's a lot harder to get lost than it is in the alliance starting areas.  Plus, you can see a far distance, assuming your video card can handle it -- which makes finding far-off buildings, caves, etc. easier.

The Horde zones definitely fail in the "prettier" department, though.  Although I really like the bird chirping in Mulgore.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 01:21:01 AM »

There are some nice ares on Kalimdor like Ashenvale, Feralas, and Azshara that I like but there are too many bleak looking type zones.

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Agreed, the Horde zones look pretty much like...uh...Arizona.  :/

There's more to Arizona than just Phoenix or Tuscon.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 02:43:04 PM »

Problem with Kalimdor is that the areas are spread out much more as opposed to the Alliance areas around SW and IF. Can't speak about the horde areas though.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 06:48:37 PM »

Quote from: "Jag"
Problem with Kalimdor is that the areas are spread out much more as opposed to the Alliance areas around SW and IF. Can't speak about the horde areas though.

Don't play as a Tauren then. Their starting area is SO spread out and requires SO much running, it's almost sad.

In SW and IF, their n00b quests are all within about 100 yards of each other. For the Tauren, expect to run a 1000 yards just to do one quest. But the Tauren do have a nicer starting area (visuals) than SW or IF has, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 07:41:50 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Jag"

Don't play as a Tauren then. Their starting area is SO spread out and requires SO much running, it's almost sad.

In SW and IF, their n00b quests are all within about 100 yards of each other. For the Tauren, expect to run a 1000 yards just to do one quest. But the Tauren do have a nicer starting area (visuals) than SW or IF has, IMHO.

It was all fine orginally because the Tauren used to have a plainsrunning ability instead of a mount and started out with a bonus to running speed.  That is until the Tauren in beta complained about not getting a mount, then they took away the plainsrunning and running speed, but still left the tauren area the same size.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 02:33:58 PM »

That is until the Tauren in beta complained about not getting a mount

I thought the complaints in beta weren't so much folks complaining about not getting a mount, it was that plainsrunning as implemented was both buggy and inferior in some areas to players with mounts.  Instead of investing the time to fix plainsrunning (and there was no way it was going to be fixed by retail at that point), they just switched Tauren to use kodo mounts.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 09:05:49 PM »

Plainsrunning was going to be implemented as a racial ability?

Seems a little unbalanced to me. They made the right choice.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 09:23:34 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
That is until the Tauren in beta complained about not getting a mount

I thought the complaints in beta weren't so much folks complaining about not getting a mount, it was that plainsrunning as implemented was both buggy and inferior in some areas to players with mounts.  Instead of investing the time to fix plainsrunning (and there was no way it was going to be fixed by retail at that point), they just switched Tauren to use kodo mounts.

Which means now that Tauren get screwed over.  It's another example of Blizzard using a quick fix while ignoring the long term consequences.  The current coding only allows them to ride the kodo mount, which costs the same and offers no advantages over any of the other mounts.  That means that Tauren can't ride any other races mounts (even if they reach exaulted with that race) or any of the rare or dropped mounts (including the Baron's horse).

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 01:47:13 PM »

Quote from: "Sam Hell"
Plainsrunning was going to be implemented as a racial ability?

Seems a little unbalanced to me. They made the right choice.

Why is it unbalanced?  Warlocks and Paladins get free mounts, is that unbalanced too?

Keep in mind that at the time, I think the only race that had racial traits were the Undead, and Tauren had this one ability, and there were several problems with Plainsrunning as compared to the standard mounts.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 03:01:58 PM »

Keep in mind that at the time, I think the only race that had racial traits were the Undead, and Tauren had this one ability, and there were several problems with Plainsrunning as compared to the standard mounts.

If I remember correctly, you'd gain the Plainsrunning ability after running for like 10 seconds, and the first hit would knock you out of it. So, yes, it was useful, but useless compared to a real mount.

Can't tell you how many times I've been hit while riding across the countryside...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 03:57:40 PM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"
Which means now that Tauren get screwed over.  It's another example of Blizzard using a quick fix while ignoring the long term consequences.  The current coding only allows them to ride the kodo mount, which costs the same and offers no advantages over any of the other mounts.  That means that Tauren can't ride any other races mounts (even if they reach exaulted with that race) or any of the rare or dropped mounts (including the Baron's horse).

I doubt it has anything to do with coding.  Blizzard's real keen on keeping their art direction consistent, and Taurens just aren't the right size to be riding other races mounts.  Kodos cost the same and offer no advantages because every racial mount costs the same, and none of them have advantages.  

I've never heard of rare or dropped mounts - can you provide a link?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 04:55:03 PM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"
That means that Tauren can't ride any other races mounts (even if they reach exaulted with that race) or any of the rare or dropped mounts (including the Baron's horse).

I've never seen a Night-Elf riding an Electrochicken. If you talk to the seller he doesn't mention the exalted status. When you talk to them with a dwarf (with the same level of influence) they *do* mention exalted. I'm thinking they're doing what makes sense.

You don't have Tauren Mages, or Gnome Shaman.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 05:44:10 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

If I remember correctly, you'd gain the Plainsrunning ability after running for like 10 seconds, and the first hit would knock you out of it. So, yes, it was useful, but useless compared to a real mount.

Can't tell you how many times I've been hit while riding across the countryside...

I can't tell you either.  Must have something to do with me not being close to level 40 yet.  :wink:
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 06:59:50 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
I doubt it has anything to do with coding.  Blizzard's real keen on keeping their art direction consistent, and Taurens just aren't the right size to be riding other races mounts.  Kodos cost the same and offer no advantages because every racial mount costs the same, and none of them have advantages.  

I've never heard of rare or dropped mounts - can you provide a link?

Tell Blizzard to work on my Human Paladin Mount then - my legs and cloak clip right through/into it all the time, and whenever I rear up (jump while standing still), my face smashes right into my horse's head.

As far as the rare/dropped mounts - there's a level 60 boss somewhere that drops a mount. Everybody but the Tauren can ride it. I don't know the name offhand, as otherwise I'd give you a Thottbot link.

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 07:28:16 PM »

Edit: Oh, it drops from Baron Rivendare, the main boss of Stratholme.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: